Corvallis, OR
Oregon State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oregon State University

Catherine

Start looking and applying early. Procrastination is the worst. Parents be open to students ideas/needs/wants and studends have fun with it but know when to take it seriously!

More about class size and how exactly professors taught. More about housing on and off campus would have been helpful and what is in the general area surrounding the school.

The lack of parking for students on and off campus.

Erin

My school has been accredited for many things. Our most famous academic departments, are our Engineering, and Science departments, in which make great strides in the fields every year(let alone every day). We are also well know for our athletics...Football as well as our Gymnastics, Wrestling, Softball and Basball have been extremely successful in the recent years. A few of our greatest claims to fame: We invented the hoola hoop. We beat Notre Dame inf the Fiesta Bowl. Corvallis, where Oregon State Univertsity is located, was voted one of the safest places to liv ein the nation.

I wouldn't say my school is necessarily unique, because its like many universities; diverse, academically centered, and demanding. I would say its special because there is a great sense of pride that comes with being a Oregon State Beaver. No matter where a Oregon State graduate ends up in life, he/she will always be a "Beaver Believer." From west coast to east, our graduates are still humming the school song, whether they graduated in 1970 like my father, or in 2005 like my dearest friend. Here at Oregon State University the students truly do bleed black and orange.

College, believe it or not, isn't soley about academics. Its about finding yourself and your passion that drives you. It is about trying new things, broadening your horizons, and finding your individual motivation. The best advice I could give to any parent(s) or student(s), is that when you prepare to enter college have in place a plan of "attack"...know where your interests lie and where they don't. Thats not to say that you can't always change the path you take, but college is expensive, and it best to have a general idea to avoid from accruing extra expenses.

Kelly

my school is large with many people, a large social ring based in sororities and frats, school spirit and lots of rain.

From experience the best advice I can give freshman about finding the right college and making the most of the experience is don't sweat the small stuff. Don't be afraid to take out a loan. I tried to work too much and ended up working myself to death between school and work; I ended up missing out on all the things I was excited for most about college. Stressing out to much ruined my first year. Things happen, just learn to roll with the punches and don't take the little things for granted.

The best part about my school is the availability of study space; no matter how or where you like to study, you can find a place for you.

Monica

I knew my school was right for me the minute I stepped foot on campus. I feel that each student should go and see the school before that decide. I almost went to the wrong school for me. It took actually seeing campus to realize that I was not at home. My college career consisted of a healthy balance of fun activities and school work. You'll save yourself a lot of stress if you find your balance early.

The type of person that should avoid OSU is someone who feels that they are entitled to a grade just because they show up. It depends on your area of study, but most areas require you to being groups and discuss your studies.

The way that our financial aid is set up is very frustrating. OSU tends to hold onto your money and the office is slow to clear errors. Some of the administrative staff can be, less than sympathetic to your claims.

Vincent

One of the best pieces of advice that I ever recieved is that life has already begun. Too many people think that they are going through all of this to start their lives after college but really life is already here and we must make the most of it. It's really important to start off on the right foot and not just mess around, it is your money and time that you are investing so you need to take advantage of what your university has to offer. There is always so much going on, good and bad, you need to filter the things you want and don't want to do so that you can expand your horizons and really find who you are and what you are doing in life.

I wish I had known how important it is to seek an academic advisor and make sure that you're taking the classes that you need to graduate instead of just trying to do it yourself. Time management is another very important skill, it is tough to balance school, social life and work until you learn the best ways to do so.

Diversity is huge on campus. I don't think I go a day without seeing a flyer or hearing about an event on campus for different groups to meet and network. I think it's very important because its not always about what you know but rather who you know and these events help you find those who share commonalities.

Stacey

Be careful about your work load. Start off the school year taking between 12 and 13 credits during fall term; that gives you time to get into the swing of college life. Increase your course load winter term if need be. Just don't overburden yourself.

Someone who is very career focused should attend this school. OSU is known for being a party college, so in order to succeed one should be able to handle his or her own corse load and be able to ignore the party scene (for the most part). Also, the person should be ready for a small town atmosphere, since Corvallis can be a po-dunk town.

Corvallis is in a beautiful area, and so far the weather has been fantastic, though I known this area is prone to rain. If I brag to my friends, it would be how our team is doing in football or baseball. Other than that, I don't have much time to brag about anything to anyone.

Sean

Motivation is the keystone to success. Students cannot rely on a college to pave a career path for them. Students must take accountability for their future; when they do, any college will act as an instrument toward fulfilling their career path. Success is not based upon which college an individual attends, it is based on what the student does while they are in attendance. If admittance to a certain private university is viewed as the determining factor for a student?s future, then that particular student is sure to falter. However, if a humble student starts their freshman year with the desire to grow intellectually, with an eye for the future, they will be appreciated by their professors, and they won?t spend their senior year trying to raise their grade point average in a frantic push for a graduate program. A motivated student turns in every assignment, goes to their professors with sincere questions, and utilizes the resources that each university provides. An unmotivated student, waits for counselors and professors to come to them with solutions, has a sense of entitlement for turning in late assignments, and blames their professor, school, and various associates for their failure.

Someone who is only going to school because their parents are paying for it, or it is expected. If a person isn't motivated, they shouldn't attend this school or any school. Otherwise, if an individual is humble, they can get everything they need from this school, they just simply have to put out some effort to get it. If an individual's ego tells them that they need to attend a private university in order to feel special, I recommend they don't attend this school because again, they won't be motivated to do well.

I wish I would have taken high school more seriously. College is only difficult when I am playing catch up (I.e. writing ability, math, etc.).

To students and parents getting ready for college I would advise them to find a college that fits you. Find someplace you feel comfortable going to school, living and working. Find somewhere that you might want to get married and raise your family. If you end up settling for a college simply because of the location, or the price; in the end you may not be happy. College is the time in your life to take risks, make big changes and take big chances. Making the most of your college experience is more than just studying hard and earning good grades. It is finding a field of study that you are deeply passionate about, finding friends that you are also deeply passionate about, and trying new things. If something interests you- do it. Go for it; because you will never know unless you try. Do study hard and do earn good grades. But, make sure that when you graduate college you have graduated knowing that you did everything you could, and that you tried everything you had an opportunity to try.

Matt

All I can say about choosing the right college is to find a place that you could call home for 4 years. I toured a couple of reputable colleges and could not stand them. I personally discovered after touring the Universities of Washington and Oregon that I did not want to go to school in the city; I now go to Oregon State which is very much away from the city, which I love. Others find exactly the opposite I love OSU and have a lot of fun, but I think the most important thing is to remember why you are there. While my college is a place where there are parties EVERY night, it is important to balance the fun with the work. It is said that "you can retake a test but you can't relive a party", and I would say that this is poor advice. Stay on top of your school work to keep the stress down, and you will have a lot more fun in the long run. You CAN go out every night, but that does not mean you should.

I think the best way to describe OSU is that it has a "work hard, play hard" environment. People to whom this appeals will like OSU.

That the beavers CAN NOT win a basketball game to save their livers

darci

this one had the original program i was going into, athletic training, and then i switched to resteraunt food management. one thing is that the city is very focused on the university making it feel more small town even though it's a 50,000 + population. the campus is always green and beautiful, there are so many resources availible to help sucess of any student, i wish i had figured that out sooner.

one peice of advice i wish i had recieved as an incoming freshman is to use ALL the resources given to you. students pay tuition for a reason, that enables you to use various centers for math, reading, writing, science and many more. these are great tools that are ment to help you suceed in your college career. i would also encourage trying new things whenever the occasion arises. you meet so many people who will impact your life just by going to a organic growers club, or the rainbow continum (gay strait aliance).

i love the campus in general. some of the buildings are very beautiful, such as weatherford and the women's building. the rec center is also outstanding. while generally dorm rooms are small, you can find decently sized ones that make living with someone new easier. the ra's are extremely freindly and helpful, i enjoyed the dorms

Oregon State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.