Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Oregon State University has a semi diverse student body overall. However, you probably wouldn't notice this at first glance. There are a few stereotypes at OSU. We're an engineering and agriculture school mostly, so the two biggest stereotypes would probably be that we have mass amounts of "rednecks" who drink heavily, and nerds. Do I find this to be true? Sort of, yes. We have nerds everywhere on campus, and thank the Lord we do, because they basically fund the entire university (while they attend and after they graduate). As for the drunken redneck stereotype, I think maybe it is true to some extent. OSU is a big drinking school and a lot of students that attend it are farmers or Ag business majors. To say that our school is entirely filled with nerds and farmers isn't true obviously, but sometimes stereotypes stem from the truth.

There are many ways to answer this question. Being in the state of Oregon, many people from other states assume OSU is an extremely liberal school. While the school is very progressive and responds very quickly to social issues, there is tons of tradition here. Also, most of the school's resources go to the physical sciences, engineering, and agricultural sciences. This leads to another stereotype that often comes up; that OSU is full of hicks and hillbillies. OSU is the largest school in the state that has any emphasis on the agricultural sciences. This attracts many students from small communities or towns that you may not ever interact with otherwise. Every major at OSU puts a strong emphasis on pursuit of knowledge and professional development, so these hicks or hillbillies you may often hear about are not at OSU..

The main two stereotypes of students at OSU are either party kids or nerds. Because OSU is a big engineering school, a lot of the students are perceived as nerdy or geeks. The other big category is the partying kids, mainly because OSU is also a big frat/sorority school. I think this stereotype isn't all that accurate. I'm not an engineer, but I do well in school. I also rushed during greek week, but didn't find the right sorority at that time. For the most part, it's impossible to categorize over 20,000 students into one or two categories. There are people here from all 50 states, and across the world. There are so many differentiating factors, and that makes broad, generalizing stereotypes very inaccurate in my opinion.

Oregon State University is very diverse when speaking in terms of the student population. Many find that our school is well known for our engineering programs, but what most don't know is that there are many more fantastic programs that Oregon State has to offer. Breaking away from the educational stereotypes, Oregon State is also known for our Greek system. I spent my freshman year in one of the best fraternities on campus. Overall if there was one stereotype that rang true about Oregon State is that we are located in a college town. Corvallis, Oregon is one of the most amazing places to live and go to school.

Oregon State University has the reputation of being awesome. What makes us so awesome is that we were started as, and still are, an agricultural school. There are many varieties of studies available, but only at OSU will you find that camouflage, trucks, cowboys, sheep, and country western bars are acceptable and encouraged. We're not just limited to that, however. Those same people you see in cowboy hats, country swinging at the bars, may also be involved in the large Greek system here on campus. Are people wrong when they call OSU a farming school? Not at all, but they offer much more than just that!

I've not heard too much about the stereotypes here, but I would say that the biggest one would be tree-hugger type people. Everyone told me I would become a tree hugger hippie once I went to school here. Although there are definitely those type of people here, they are not the only type of people here and definitely not the majority either. There are all types of people at OSU as well as any other college campus you go to.

The majority of the students at Oregon State are typically college students that are here to study and learn. People work hard and succeed here. There are the people that party as well, but only a small amount. Fraternities and sororities are very popular here on campus and an accomplishment to get into a house. No matter what group you belong to there is a place for you here at Oregon State University!

Oregon State University is a large public university so of course you'll run into the typical stereotypes. The Greek system is very popular, but I do not participate in it. Several of my friends do, and they love it, but the party scene can definitely get out of hand. I think with every school there are the stereotypes, but the most important thing to do is get to know someone before categorizing them.

There are farmers here and there are engineers here too.