Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

Take the time to research the school and think about what areas of study really interest you (the student). Take every opportunity you can and meet new people. Learn from friends and form study groups in classes that are difficult for you. Get that support group early and take advantage of the study rooms in the library. Above all, always get your butt to class. It's easy to loose focus and stress out if you don't go to class--remember you'll be paying for it later so you might as well go! Know where your professors are in case you need to stop by. I would always try to visit my science class professors at least once a week and ask them questions I had written down from the week's lectures. By doing this, the professor gets to know you and you get more out of your class than if you just did the minimum. Always ASK QUESTIONS when given the chance.

The advice I would give parents is to allow their children a little alone time after they get to college. Many times students go through a period of loneliness after they arrive at college. It's ok for students to experience this loneliness! The first few weeks of college is the time when many students break out of their shells and start to learn who they are and the strength they posses. However if a parent hovers too closely, this unique opportunity the student has could be missed due to a parent swooping in and rescuing the child. Barring any serious depression or loneliness, the most helpful role the parent can play is to be an encourager and listener as their child grows and acclimates to this new environment. So, parents: Step back, take a deep breath, and watch your child become the mature and independent adult you knew they could be!

Having a social life is a must, but your main drive should be school. Stay ahead of your work and don't let things go till last minute. The sooner you get things done the more relaxed and less stress you will be. Don't be so stubborn and ask for help whenever you need it, you're not expected to understand it right away; it't not high school anymore things wont be as easy to understand. Learn how to study, try every way possible to study then pick what is best for you. Spend your money wisely and find a job ASAP because they are hard to find here, although you may feel overqualified for something a job is a job. If you are ever stressed go to the beach, that is your happy place; its only 45 minutes away and well worth the drive for your stress. But most of all enjoy life not that you dont but time spent being unhappy is time lost being happy.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to stay in hawaii for 2 years and get my pre-requisites finished before i come up to Oregon. That way i don't waste a year of my parents money paying for out-of-state tuition. I am now behind a year in school because i wasn't in the correct classes i was supposed to be in for a freshman. I was taking all these lower division courses. If i stayed in Hawaii i could have taken those classes and stayed there for two years and then go to Oregon to get my bachelor's degree. I also would have applied to more scholarships because now with the economy being so bad my parents having 3 kids is hard for them especially when my parents never went to college. I would also tell myself that freshman year of college is different, there is a big change, college its definiately NOT like high school! it's worse!!

As a high school senior I was wide eyed and anticipatory to what lay ahead of me. I saw the road to my future paved with the orange of Oregon State University, but beyond that I could pretty much throw a rock as far as I could predict where my life would end up. One thing I was absolutely sure of however was that I was going to work harder than anyone else to get to where that rock eventually fell. If I had the chance to travel back and talk to an impressionable 17-year-old me I would have only one thing to say; don?t ever stop running. You may hit many walls on your journey, but if you lower your head and work you can always find the crack of light that shows a way out. Nothing about life is easy; nor is it impossible. To believe that you cannot do it is to succumb to mediocrity, and to succumb to that dark fact is to sell yourself short.

I was extremely naive as a high school senior. If I could talk to myself, I would advise myself to learn more about myself and my passions before entering college. I would encourage myself to take a year off to figure out what I wanted in life and who I wanted to be in the future. I would also advise myself to spend more time on academics; I should have spent more time learning how to take tests. I want to also advise myself to enter college with an open-mind and a desire to meet new friends. I entered college very shy, and I missed out on many friendships because I spent more time in my room than out meeting people. I want to also encourage myself to take advantage of every scholarship opportunity for high schoolers. Above all, I want my high school self to know that no matter what choices I make, that my family loves and supports me.

When I was in high school I was so excited to get out that I decided not to go to college. I got a crappy full time job making very little money and couldn't really make it, so I decided to go to school because my Dad agreed to help pay for my bills if I went to school. I decided that I needed a more "college like" attmosphere after attending a local community college, so I decided to apply to Oregon State. After my third year here, I am very happy I made that decision. If I could give my high school self some advice about the future, I would suggest going to a University right after graduation and not waiting a year. College life at Oregon State is too much fun to miss out on and if you get started right away, you will be on the same track as your peers from high school and may be able to graduate at the same time as them.

Dear Senior High School Kelsey, I know you are so excited to be graduating high school and don’t want to look back – don’t! There’s no need, everything is ahead of you. This transition you are embarking on is just as exciting as you are anticipating it to be. The most important things I have to tell you are: people are going to continue to doubt you and that is their problem, it is not yours. Do not let their doubt affect your view of yourself. Secondly, you need to know that this is your time to learn yourself! So take as many classes as you can about your multiple interests, don’t be afraid to make friends and get involved in new activities, this is your time! You can change your plan as many times as your need to, as long as you keep moving forward and keep your drive to change and better the world. You will be great. Kelsey.

I would tell myself to pick a school with an environment that I felt comfortable in. Having a place that you feel more at home in will mke everything easier. I would advice myself to pick a smaller school where you could get to know your teachers and classmates better. I would also say to think about the town size as well becasue it is easy to get lost in a big town when you are used to a one stop light kind of place. As for high school I would advice myself to take more college credit classes from the community colllege so that I could have some of it out of the way when I got here. I might tell myself to spend more time with friends in high school because you don't have as much time for that in college. Most of all I would tell myself to enjoy being at home while it lasts and to cherish all of the time possible with my parents.

Be aware of your surroundings and take advantage of opportunities. Don't just picture the university experience as the means to the end, but as part of life. Enjoy the day-in, day-out experience. Keeping a regular schedule is very important. This will help in keeping your grades up as well as keeping your life well rounded. A balanced life is very important! School is important, yes, but focusing 100% all the time on school isn't healthy. Keeping a social life will make school a lot more pleasant. Knowing how to keep stress levels low and knowing how to relax when stress does become and issue is EXTREMELY important. School is stressful. Between class schedules, homework, papers, tests, projects, friends, family, money, room-mates, etc. The list is endless and being prepared for these tasks makes life a whole lot easier.