Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

My college experence has given me the oppertunity to start getting retrained in a new field. This field will hopefully be one that will not be one that the jobs will not be sent overseas. The college experience is a great way to get back in touch with people and reality after bieng out of work for over two years. I have been able to learn and hope to be able to continue to learn. I am hopong to get enough scholarships to be able to continue my education so I can find a job after I graduate. I will then be able to contribute to society. The knowledge I have gained so far has been invaluable twards that goal of being a contributing member of society. Thank you for a chance to apply for this scholarship and if I win I will use it to further my education for my new career.

The most important thing about finding the right college, and therefore having the best college experience is to make sure the college you are interested in fits your needs. Yes, you may be applying yourself to a certain college, but a certain college needs to apply itself to you. Ask youself questions such as: "Does this college have what I need to academically succeed?" "Does this college have clubs are organizations that I find interesting?" "Are there going to be people there that I can make lifetime friendships with?" And after you have chosen the right college for you, make a promise to push yourself, because this is a time in your life where no one but you has control. But more importantly, as hard as you push yourself academically, push yourself to have fun!

The first thing I would say to myself would be, "Finish college, enjoy your freedom, and get involved while you are there. THEN, after you are more established and mature, you can think about starting a family! Don't be in such a hurry to grow up!" I would tell myself to make the most of my college experience. Living in a dorm, joining a sport or club, volunteering - these are all part of the college experience that you can't do as a wife and mom, at least not as easily. I don't have any regrets and wouldn't trade my life for anything, but if I had it to do over again, I'd have waited a few more years to get married and have my kids, and that's the main point I would try to get across to myself if I had the chance; who knows, maybe I would have even listened!

Be positive!! Remember that the most important part is finding the college that fits your needs and wants. It's worth paying a little more to get a better education and be happy. Also, don't ever waste your education by being too involved in a social atmosphere. Avoid peer pressure, and study hard so your college experience is worth every penny. Be friends with the teachers. Actively participate always!! You will learn much more and faster if you constantly ask questions and always participate. Many times it helps to talk to the teacher after class to make sure you fully understand the course requirements. Buy books after the first week if you can. You will find that you don't need so many books all the time, and sometimes you may drop the class.

If I were to go back to myself in high school I would tell myself to really think about the decisions that were in my future. I would proceed to have a heart-to-heart talk about why making the decision not to go to college right away is not in my best interest. Telling her that waiting to go will only reduce my self-esteem and confidence, making the transition of going back more difficult. Additionally, I would tell my past-self that waiting to go to college was only going to make my future endeavors harder. Instead of having a career by time I am 30 I would only be recently graduating and starting my life. I think that if I had someone to talk to me on a real and personal level about going to college than I may have decided to go right out of high school.

If I could go back and give my freshman-self advice, it would be RELAX! You don't need to squeeze every little thing into your first term or even year. Go into college with an open mind to try new things, but don't spread yourself too thin. College isn't a one-year venture! And yet, on the complete other side of my brain, I'd suggest they get involved with organizations sooner than later. Before you head out to whatever college, do some general research on things that interest you and what your potential colleges offer in that area. I didn't get involved in an organization until my sophmore year, but I've always kicked myself for not joining an OSU choir until a year later. Also, don't eat the food at McNary dining hall. You can thank me later.

I have learned a lot about myself the first term of college. I was very mentally and emotionally unstable and unable to accomplish what is expected of a freshman student. The OSU community was so amazing and welcoming. I was able to get counseling, talk to my teachers, make new friends for life, and now have a happy future in my second semester. I am moving into a co-ed business dorm instead of a co-op, getting a job on campus, and taking more fun classes such as Qigong. The university is also doing a lot of remodeling so now this term I have brand new tennis courts to play on. The university cares about their students in all aspects of their life and I feel confidnet that attending OSU will take me severals steps ahead in the future.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself when I was a senior in high school I would tell myself to do as many advanced placement courses as possible in order to gain more college credit. I would also tell myself to apply for every scholarship possible since they are very helpful. Another thing I would do is try to teach myself what I have already learned in my courses in order to get the best possible grades I could get. Basically what I would tell myself would help me in every way do even better in college, both financially and academically. By doing that I would be helping myself for the rest of my life by graduating earlier and in less debt in order to due my duty to progress society with my career as a civil engineer even sooner.

I would tell myself not to be so nervous about college. It's not as big and scary as I thought it was going to be. I would also tell myself to make sure I had my books on time, before I even got to school. I would tell myself I need to get used to reading for education, instead of just for fun. Mostly, I would reassure myself that everything would turn out okay. As a senior, I was so unsure of what I wanted to do and what college I wanted to attend. I was really nervous that I would make the wrong decision and regret it once I got to college. It turns out that I love Oregon State, and I'm glad I made this decision. The number one thing I would tell my high school self would be to calm down and have confidence in the decisions you make.

Doing what you love to do is the truly one of the greatest things life has to offer. My suggestion to any college bound student is to simply explore. Get into classes you find to be interesting. Don't necessarily shut yourself off from all the other subjects the school has to offer and only focus on your major, take this time to investigate your interests. When I fist started school , I was set on being a phamacy student, after a year and a half, I found myself to be a sociology major. My interest in sociology has surpassed my interest in pharmacy, this is becasue I allowed myself to search and investigate. Colleges around the world have so much to offer, make sure your're getting the best out of it, cause it only happens once.