Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

I would tell myself to take college applications seriously! I would love to apply to different colleges as a senior and have my options open. I would have also told myself to apply for FAFSA and take that seriously as well. I didn't know much about financial aid and the free money that I would have earned had I taken both the college and FASFA application seriously. I also, would have told myself to not limit myself from applying to in state colleges. I would apply for out of state colleges as well because maybe I could have earned a full ride to a university not in Texas. One last thing I would have told myself is to talk to my counselors more about colleges and have more questions to ask them.

To whom it may concern, My name is Maritza Hernandez, I am a first generation college students in my family. I am proud to be studying at Holyoke Community College. I look forward to making the Dean list by the end of this semester. I am a dedicated mother of two wonderful children a girl that is 14 and a boy that is 11. I am proud to be in college an being a positive role model not only for my children but for many other that look up to me for guidance. The only advice that I would give myself would be to finish college once I completed High School. My goal is to break the barriers of poverty for my generation to come. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely Yours Maritza Hernandez

If I could go back to senior year of high school and give myself or anyone else one piece of advice, it would be to not be scared of going to college. I went to a college prep school, so academically I felt prepared to start at a university, but socially I was worried about the changes. I was unsure about living in the dorms, making friends, taking care of myself and being away from home. As soon as I got here I realized things were not going to be so bad and I felt really silly for worrying about it so much. The only changes I would have made would be getting involved with campus activites earlier. My campus involvement has truely made my college experience at Oregon State University.

This year I have not only learned to be independent, but to reach out as a person. I have learned more about the value of money given that I am paying for school by myself. I have learned how important an education is for anyone. I have learned to better manage my time between work and pleasure and what works best for me as a person when it comes to studying and learning at a good level. It has been valuable to attend because it's something that I appreciate and know that I am doing this by myseld. It's going to be especially valuable in the future when I can see where my education takes me and I can look back and be glad that I took the extra step to attend and pay for college.

If I were to go back in time, and was able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to change few things. I would have told myself to study more than I had done. I would have told myself to start on papers for classes sooner, since the games I would play are not worth the all-nighters I would do to make up for the lost time. I would have told myself to be more social and outgoing, because studying is a lot easier and funner when you're going at it with a group. Basically, I would tell myself to do the little things and subtle changes I've always said that I needed to make. The things that would be good this term, but hey, there's always next term to start.

When I first began thinking about what I would tell my high school self, I was flooded with ideas such as, “finish college in your 20s, not in your 40s”, and “really, you’ll learn to love science”. However, as I reflected on my decisions post high school and the transition I made into college when I was thirty-eight, I realized that every choice I have made comprised who I am and I happen to like that person. So, the message I would have for my younger self is to have confidence in your self and your abilities, learn your limitations and respect them, don’t be in such a hurry to grow up, and remember that nothing is ‘the end of the world’. Endings pave the way for new beginnings.

The first thing I would tell myself is that while computers are very popular, the need and types are constantly changing. I would also advise myself NOT to get married right after high school so that college is my priority and that it will save myself a ton of grief and abuse. I would give myself advice about what classes would be very important and which ones can wait (since some of them no longer exist). I would help myself plan for the future I knew would now be better since I could keep myself from wasting time and energy on things that will come not to matter at all. I would advise myself to take classes, such as math, back to back so there were no breaks in between to forget.

school at anne arundle community college has taught that i can do it! I was never good at school in high school, so school was a discuraging experience. however, when I tried to start my life without a college degree i was tired of working in the dirt. So I went back to college with more determination. the past two years have been the most profitable years of my life! I'm so glad to be in school and will stay till i get my bachalors degree and mabye more. i need a scholarship because I dont want my parents to pay for my college and i dont want to be stuck with a large loan after school. I'm determined to get a scholarship and I will. I hope that you will be able to help me.

If I could talk to my high school senior self, would tell myself to stay on track and don't get behind because I have seen a lot of people here that fall behind and can't catch up. Get started on scholarships early every year, and don't think that you can just fall back onto the skills that you had from high school. The pace is so much faster here that you have to study everyday and don't procrastinate. Don't fall into peer pressure and don't go to any parties; the people that go to parties are usually the ones that fall behind in their classes. At the same time, enjoy your time at college because this is supposed to be one of the best times of your life. Good luck!

Preparation would be the first thing I would tell myself. Preparation for being more independent, and responsible for your education. Meaning, knowing what you want, and what you want to get out of this college experience. Telling myself, senior year is not time to get out of practice of working hard. It's a time to work harder and to be at your peak when you start your college year, so you don't come out of this wonderful oppurtunity feeling there was something you should have done different. I would tell myself most of all, to relax and to enjoy my last high school year. Even though I can't wait to go to college, I am going to miss my high school years.