Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

I would have told myself to take a math class at the local community college my senior year becuase that would have helped emmensley. I wish I would have applied for the Ford Family Foundation Sch. becuase I may have got it and saved a ton of money. I wish that I would have gone at least a year or 2 to the community college in my town beucase it would have been easier and cheaper and I would have better prepared myself for entering a large university that has difficult classes. Most of all, I wish that I would have worked harder to learn material in h.s., not just get things done and forget about them for a grade.

When choosing a school keep in mind that while finding a qualified program that suits your interests is important, don't be afraid to look outside of that and notice the diversity of the school. I believe understanding and experiencing different cultures will durasticly open one's mind in positive ways. Sometimes taking a step outside one's comfort zone can be highly rewarding as it has for me. One may experience different interests,majors, etc. that have never crossed his/her mind before. Last of all, you are the creator of your own reality, so follow your bliss and trust it. Happiness will follow.

The advice that I would have given myself was to establish good study habits, and use my time wisely. In college all of your time is based on how you use it. No one else is telling you what to do anymore, and you have to make your own decisions. Time management and keeping track of all of your assignments and due dates is important as well. When you come to college you are independent and reliant on yourself, and the best way to make that work is to have a routine that will allow you to focus on your education first and foremost, then focus on your social life and enjoying your college experience.

I have learned how to live on my own, and it wasn't easy moving from Texas to Oregon. I learned how to open up and make friends. I've learned how to manage my time quite well. I have learned so much through the variety of courses that I have taken, and I learned a lot about myself, and what I want to do with my future. I've learned what kind of person that I am in how I manage my time, and through my priorities, and my close friends that I have made. And with the help of the school, I have found that I want to help kids in high school with college guidance, the way that I was not helped.

The experience I learned from this college and why its valuable to me is the open-mindedness that I need and should have when talking with others. Because it reminds me not to judge and not to identify them with a specific group. Instead I should remember that they have their own identity that they go by and thats what it made it very valuable to me. Through this I was able to attend different activities that brought friends and bestfriends as well. I really hope that I am able to continue going to this college until I finish my degree and continue to learn life long wisdom.

College, believe it or not, isn't soley about academics. Its about finding yourself and your passion that drives you. It is about trying new things, broadening your horizons, and finding your individual motivation. The best advice I could give to any parent(s) or student(s), is that when you prepare to enter college have in place a plan of "attack"...know where your interests lie and where they don't. Thats not to say that you can't always change the path you take, but college is expensive, and it best to have a general idea to avoid from accruing extra expenses.

Don't Procrastinate. There is no, "I'll do it tomorrow" in college. Do it now. if you do fall behind, don't get discouraged. You can always work a little bit harder to try and catch back up. If you have trouble doing the work, ask for help! It doesn't make you stupid, or annoy the teachers when you simple ask for help. It does annoy the teachers if you wait until the last week before Finals to try and get some help. Don't be afraid to be yourself. College is a whole new world where you can be everything you want to be! Smile. Be happy. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Aiming for a full international baccalaureate my senior year taking 11 classes, a word of advice I would tell myself is to not overload my senior year stressed with IB nonsense. I really feel like the stress was not worth it and would have been more beneficial to me if I took more AP classes that filled some requirements that were not related to my major. I would have also told myself to fill out more scholarships to cover my full tuition. I know I could have made room back then to at least submit a few in, but I had procrastinated and did not submit any.

I would tell myself to stay focused more my freshman year, because it is a vital time for meeting people and developing as a person. I would also tell myself to continue to stay active in sports and other recreational activities. I would tell myself to stay true to my faith through all of the hardships, because in the end that is all that really matters. Finally, I would reasure myself about choosing Oregon State as my choicem becasue it has turned out to be an amazing experience, and many oportunities have been made available to me because I go here.

Attending Oregon State University showed me how interrelated every academic subject is and how a singular approach is never enough. Students must be hands-on and interact with their professors to grow personally, academically and professionally. I started class wanting to focus on Anthropology and found myself taking classes in Philosophy, History and Geology that all contributed and referenced each other. None of my classes stood alone and the more classes I took the more I wanted to take. I felt like the world opened up with endless possibilities.