Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

Attending college has helped me to grow as a person. It has taught me many valuable lessons such as time management, and how to achieve my goals. I have learned the value of others and the strength in diversity. I have gained experiences and skills nessary to succeed on campus and in the professional world. My time in college has given me the confidence I need and the desire to invest in the future of others to help them succeed.

I would give an advice of staying on top of things, go against what the advisors tells you, do what you feel is right. Whenever you feel like you are behind, ask for help from the teacher, teacher's assistant, peers, and friends. Don't procrastinate and learn some time management. I would also advise not to underestimate any classes, people perform poorly in "easy" classes because they lack studying for that particular class.

Make sure you visit it. You need to understand what the campus life is like. You also need to make sure that you apply for as many scholarships as possible. There's so much money out there and a good deal of it is only avaliable to underclassmen. Also, look into things like ROTC, Greek Life, and major specific clubs. All of the above add structure to your life and help to ease the transition into college life.

Attending OSU has been valuable, because it has allowed me to dream in a larger spectrum. I decided to get involved in a Cross-Cultural Mentorship program, a leadership program, and the Spanish Club. These three programs have allowed me to expand my understanding, accept the differences between individuals. College is not just about academics but understanding the world we live in and how we can benefit from it.

Before you start college have a set goal for your self in your head. Do not think you can not do something that you can if you put your mind to it, you can do anything. Choose a major that you will enjoy, college is not easy but seems easier when you are learning about something that you love to do. Choose a college that you will enjoy going to not the one all your friends go to, make the best of college.

I knew my school was right for me the minute I stepped foot on campus. I feel that each student should go and see the school before that decide. I almost went to the wrong school for me. It took actually seeing campus to realize that I was not at home. My college career consisted of a healthy balance of fun activities and school work. You'll save yourself a lot of stress if you find your balance early.

College is a way to open out and be independent. Choosing the right school will enhance that experience ten fold. Having a big class conpared to a smaller one will definetly be a diffrent experience. Also the location of the school and the weather patterns that occur is very important in choosing the school. With the right school and the right environment college can be a make or break experience.

I would tell myself to not worry so much about it. I spent a lot of my highschool years worrying about how hard college would be, and how I could possibly manage. If I could go back, I'd tell myself to have more conifdence in myself, and in my abilities, and I would probably tell myself to apply to a lot more schools, instead of being so afraid of rejection that I limited myself to two schools.

Keep an open mind. Be open to trying new things and meeting new people. Be ready to work hard, school is more than just sitting in lecture and taking notes. Get involved with different groups on campus and/or join a club. And don't give up when the going gets tough, I've seen people do that and it leads to academic probation. Instead, seek help; there are many people willing to help you.

The advise I would give to the senior me is not to get discouraged by the cost of the school and just go for it. Have fun, make friends and just forget about high school. College is so vastly different and so are the people. The transition is not hard, you have been waiting for this for years. Do not be like most freshmen. Oh and study more for your first midterm in political science.