Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

Be careful about your work load. Start off the school year taking between 12 and 13 credits during fall term; that gives you time to get into the swing of college life. Increase your course load winter term if need be. Just don't overburden yourself.

Find a place that you like, don't be afraid to move far away, or even some place close to home. Having said that, don't hesitate to another campus, if the place you chose doesn't work out. Now is the time to find what you like and what works for you.

Don't get distracted partying your first year. Work hard and make really good friends. Friends come in handy when you need support, fun, and academic help. Know yourself and what you like. Don't pick a major because you think your parents will like it.

I would tell myself to not give up when classes get overwhelming. Things can get stressfull, sometimes you just need to breathe and take a break. Also, be sure in what you want to do but don't let it limit you. Be confident in yourself, you'll be fine.

Visit each college during the football season! If you like the way the campus is then you should go for it. This is the only time that you can see every tyoe of person on campus and that was on campus. It is truely the most amazing part of any school.

Utilize community colleges during high school. The more credits you can take into college the better off you'll be! And you really can't know until you're there, so make sure you stick it out and stay through at least two terms! Get involved.

Make sure you research your school and the location it is in thoroughly. Make sure you have a good idea of what kind of people go to the school you're interested and what kind of people live in the town or city in which the school is located.

Think of college as a town where you will learn about your future occupation. The functionality of the school is just as important as their curriculum. Try to find a balance in the social aspect of the school as well as the technical.

Know what you want to major in and find a school within your price range (and preferrably close) that will fit that. Don't feel you have to apply to a million schools like everyone else does, find the one and go for it.

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships sooner and to hang out with friends at home rather than working so hard before moving. I should have enjoyed the time I had left before leaving everyone else behind.