Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

If I would ever go back in time I would tell myself many things that are important to know when attending a university. First of all apply for scholarships owing money and having large loans is not easy on the budget and on oneself. Time management is very important when you have a hectic schedule and need to make time for studying. Learn what your best study habits are because they will come in handy for your exams. Set some goals! Setting goals will help you stay motivated and not to give up, even if you do have economic problems. Stay healthy, exercising and having good eating habits will help you have more energy and help you manage with stress. Ask questions! If you do not understand something or need some help, don't be afraid to ask because there are no dumb questions and everyone is willing to help you along the way. Give it your 100% because in the end you know that it was worth it.

Here is what I have found in my time so far at OSU: It is so important to be happy when choosing a college, so go with your gut feeling. If you feel like the school is too big, but your father went there so you need to go there too, you will just end up defeating yourself and not enjoying your time there. Make a decision based on what you want and need. Take time to explore and understand the college and the kind of lifestyle it entails. College is all about finding yourself, and the only way to do that is to do exactly what you want, what makes you happy, and what will help you succeed. While you are in college, make sure you stay true to yourself and surround yourself with people that will make you happy and help you feel good about yourself. College can be a trying time, but if you feel alright and at ease about your surroundings, peers and classes it will be so much easier and enjoyable.

Don't choose a college based on where your friends or parents want you to go and especially don't make the decision based on whether or not your current girlfriend is going there, as many times it won't last, and if it does, distance will only bring you closer in the end. Try to find a college that offers a wide variety of majors, but doesn't allow the variety to affect the quality of classes or material; very few students graduate from their original major and you want to have options to experiment with as you change throughout your college years. Also, make sure that you enjoy the environment on campus and take time to check out what student life is like, because classes and campus are only a small, though important, part of college life. You will be miserable throughout your college career, and likely not perform as well, if you're not in a setting where you can relax and enjoy yourself.

If I could go back it high school and give myself some advice it would be pretty simple, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! If I could go back and only tell myself on thing it would be to work of my note taking abilities. Everything that you do in college relies on your ability to take good notes and study them well. I would also tell myself to work on studying and my test taking ability. When in college your grade usually depends on just a couple exams. Another thing I would tell myself is to visit more college before deciding where to go. I went in only considering one college; I wish I would have looked at more schools. And the last thing that I would tell myself if to have fun and realize that you only go to high school once (well most of us do!). And take in the whole experience it?s a wonderful thing and have fun well looking at colleges. All colleges have positives and negatives!

My college experience is one of the most valuable experiences of my life. The reason for this is multi-faceted education. I got an academic education of superb quality in Mechanical Engineering, accompanied by an education about life and some great experiences. I was fortunate to attend campus cultural events, work at the Memorial Union, and be in a fraternity. Some of my best friends to this day I met at college. I also treasure some lasting academic relationships born at O.S.U. The faculty throughout my time at Oregon State have always been warm and helpful. They have helped me tremendously in my professional career as well, providing recommendations and giving valuable advice about pursuing advanced degrees and professional success. I have been inspired to use the valuable knowledge and wisdom bestowed upon me to improve continuously for the purpose of giving back.

Giving advice about picking the right college is diffcult. You have many factors which involve are in the actually 'choosing of the school.' Does your student know what he/she wants to study? Does he/she play sports? Will your student be interested in student involvement, etc, etc. If your student is one of the lucky few that knows his/her's career path. I would elect the idea of picking the best ranked school for that degree. Not to forget the factors of costs and expenses. For the rest of us, unknowing young adults, I suggest picking a school that's offers a broad range of classes which one can experiment and explore. A school that is well rounded with academics and student organizations. Attending college is firstly about the education, but the close second is the development, fun, and experience of that student. It shouldn't be an either-or in the decision process.

While attending my first year in college, i have already learned many valuable life lessons. I have learned more about independant living, and finances. I am going to college in-state and living with my single mother, so paying for college has been an eye-opening debt. I have taken up two jobs. This semester has also taught me that I am in charge of my future from here on out and there are no high school teachers or counsilors to show me the path or the steps to take. It is my job to finally choose what I want to do for the rest of my life, not just what I want to do after the friday night football game. Each day this semester I have learned something new, and at a community college meeting people and getting involved is not thrown in my face, i had to search for ways to meet people and join clubs and activities. College this semester has taught me many life lessons.

My biggest advice is the importance of relationships in college. Having good relationships with the people who are educating you isn’t just about being polite; it can really work to your advantage both now and in the long run. Asking for help or, when the time comes, a letter of recommendation is much easier if you know that you’re liked and appreciated instead of just tolerated in the classroom. You don’t have to be buddy-buddy with all of your professors; just being respectful and cooperative will take you a long way. The secret to good grades, is that they’re often more a reflection of the amount of work you’ve put into them than your intelligence and willingness to go the extra mile; that’s why taking advantage of your high school’s honors program, Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate classes shows colleges that you haven’t spent four years slacking.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to study hard because everything I would be learning that year would be applicable to the classes I would be taking throughout college. I would also tell myself that working as hard as I was in my advanced placement classes would be well worth it because I got a lot of college credit from those classes. Advanced placement classes were very much worth the work in high school. I would also tell myself to not stress over class sizes or the amount of personal help I would receive. There are plenty of services available to help students succeed and even the large classes usually have a smaller recitation class for more personal help. I would tell myself that college isn?t as scary and different from high school as everyone makes it out to be as long as you can keep up good study habits.

Don't be afraid of new experiences in college. Be involved in the community, make new friends and get involved in clubs. Your best friends will be through marching band and don't be afraid to join Kappa Kappa Psi. Be proactive in your learning and stay on top of your studies. However, don't miss out on the social aspects of college. Take the time to figure who you are and what you love. Don't feel bad about giving up on something that you've burnt out on and pursue your passions with no shame. Allow yourself to cry and stress out, and be kind to yourself and give yourself a break once in a while. Don't let your depression hinder your academic performance and allow yourself to be vulnerable towards your friends. Call your mom often and let her know how much you love her. And lastly, keep perusing your dream of studying abroad; it will happen and it will be amazing.