Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

It’s common for students to feel nervous when entering college. Making new friends is not something to worry about when it comes to Oregon State. The University is full of friendly, outgoing students. Students come from all over the world to gain a education through OSU. Education comes first, but when it comes to making new friends you should not worry. The University proves clubs for sports; from fishing, soccer, baseball, dance; pretty much anything thing you can think of we got it. OSU is a great school, with many smiling faces.

Before attending Oregon State I wish I would of known all the exciting events that take place through out the school year. From battle of the bands to the recycle fashion show there is always something going on at the campus. I also wish I would of known all the different business clubs that are on campus. These business clubs help you prepare for your future and really get a hands on experience with your passion. It would of been helpful to know other ways to purchase books for more affordable prices such as buying books online.

I wish I had known change was OK. Before I went to a secular college I had gone to private school. I was taught to believe solely in the Bible and that doubting was a sin. This only led to severe conflict within me as I tried to make sense of the "real world" while at the same time seeing it through the lenses my sheltered society had given me. Before the world was static, as unchanging as the day it was divinely created; but with a liberal education I now see it for the dynamic enigma it really is.

I wish I had known that the opportunities on campus should be utilized. For example, the important of physical fitness is well known around campus, and the free fitness center is a great resource. I suppose just understanding all the resources on campus and actually taking advantage of them. The other thing I wish I had known is how much fun football games are. This last fall I finally went to a football game. It was a lot of fun. I really did instill a feeling of pride for my school.

I wish I hadn't been afraid to take adavantage of some of the amazing opportunities on campus. Two years into my schooling I finally got a job at the campus rec center. Never before have I had a job that put so much faith in its students and employees. It was a job that truly prepared you for your future career. Before that job I was too afraid to leave my comfort zone but because of that job I became part of a family. I gained a whole new network of people and a new outlook on life.

Before attending OSU I wish that I would have known what to expect from the lectures and professors. I wish that there would have been a way to see how the professors teach the material. I found it difficult to be in one professors class because of how he taught his material in lecture and spent all my study time reading the book and going over the notes multiple times. If there was a way to see how professors ranked it would be very helpful in making class schedules.

Graduating from hig school and coming into a big University, the most important thing that I wish I would have known before now wouldhave to be, be you. I came into this college life trying to fit in a go with the flow, try to find a rythm and take advice from others. I wish I would have known that I need to take classes that intreague me, I need to find the best studying style for myself and I need to always be true to my own well being and interests.

College is spontaneity. So when posed the question, I say: nothing. I know now not what I knew then, and I thoroughly believe I am better off for it. Life is about not looking before you leap; it is about knowing the road will be hard and still running at full speed down it. College has been the most amazing roller coaster ride of my life so far and knowing the loops and turns before getting on would have detracted greatly from the fun of it all.

I wish I would have known that I did not need to live on campus my first year. The cost of living on campus is outrageous, and I feel that I would have met the same great people that I am friends with today by living in off campus situations such as my own apartment or house. This would have saved me thousands of out-of-pocket expenses that I do not feel was necessary in my success at Orgeon State Universtiy.

It is important, not just for this university, that students know how different college really is. I thought I knew what college classes would be like, but I was sadly mistaken. Every incoming freshman should be prepared to be completely self motivated, it is up to you to get your work done. Having 400 other students in class can be overwhelming at first, but don't worry, it will get better!