La Junta, CO
Otero Junior College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otero Junior College

Otero Junior College is a great school for people who are not ready to go to a large school. The campus is easy to get around and all the class rooms are easy to find. The professors get to know students better than larger schools, which allows for them to help students out when they have questions about the topic. The price of attending is also affordable and allows for people to get a next level education for a good price.

MacKenzie

Overall, Otero Junior College is a fantastic small town community college. The staff is usually easy to communicate with and class sizes are small enough to facilitate good quality discussions. There are lots of organizations to join and plenty of tutoring for students who need it. The classes are informative. The college being located in small town La Junta, CO means that there are not too many services around the college, but the town's small size makes the campus within a short distance from anything that the town does have to offer. My only real complaint with the school is that advising is not always the best. I have had issues finding an advisor that will help me truly understand the college process. As a first-generation student, I honestly do not understand a lot of how the process works and I wish that the college had advisors that would explain things on my level. However, the Trio department is a fantastic resource for students like me that need the extra boost. Usually Trio's advisors, tutoring, and fellow student support are enough to help me through all my questions.

Jacquline

Otero Junior College is a small college located in a rural county, but I have heard from several students that have come from other countries or been to other community colleges who have said that they find this college to be comparably better. As a student who grew up in the area, I did not have any other options without having to move. To be honest, I have only dealt with friendly and helpful professors while taking courses there--no professor can help if one is unwilling to ask. Usually, they came up to me and offered help. I had a very understand biology professor during a time when a parent was having a major health problem, and all of them were willing to deal with my shy and anxious personality. I only had a few issues with the Student Services Department Staff, but any problems were eventually resolved. I do think that the career and transfer counseling could be somewhat more helpful, though. Overall, I had a decent college experience while attending this school.

Mariah

I was born and raised in La Junta Colorado where OJC is at. It's a great community and I am fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to get my AA from here. The staff is great there's a great diversity of students who attend OJC. I was a member of TRIO and it is a great organization who always had great gatherings and activities. I was also a member of the Alpine club and got to do some rock climbing for the first time and skiing. They're always planning fun things to do. I was also part of the OJC Cheer Club while I was still a Junior and Senior in High School. I am currently working towards my Bachelors in Early Childhood Education through CU Denver but get to take my classes here at OJC and I couldn't be more happy with having the option to do so.

julianna

Otero is a really outstanding school. I would highly recommend this college to anybody that is looking to further their education. It is a very nice and welcoming community. The teachers are very helpful and they are willing to go out of their way to help any student in need. Their facilities are up to date, and there are numerous people around to assist you if needed. Also there free tutoring for all students that are enrolled. Everyone you meet is also really nice and friendly. I truly love attending this college and the environment makes it so much better.

Antonio

its ok i like the vibe i love colorado. the people are great and i met my life soul mate here at otero. the arkansa valley has much to offer for everyone from nature lovers to people who are just driving by la junta has too much to offer. the college campus is great nice and very clean

Trey

I've had a wonderful experience here and would recommend otero to others. The classes are smaller groups and the teachers are always available. I'm currently playing golf for otero and the experience has been unbelievable, along with meeting a great group of friends. Finally, the extra curricular activities have been fun and keeps me involved in the college after my golf season ended.

Sarena

OJC is unique because of the community feel to it- everybody knows everybody, and everyone helps each other out the best they can. It's a wonderful place to start the college experience.

If I could go back in time to myself as a high school senior, I would just want myself to know how much I would LOVE college, especially seeing as I didn't think I would, and hated high school. I'd make sure that I knew that college would be much more suited for my more serious personality, and that I would really be able to make it on my own. But, I would make sure I knew that college was going to be expensive, and a lot of work. I would make sure that my younger self knew to pay more attention to math- something I really wish I had done! And I would want the younger me to get into college as soon as possible, instead of waiting until I was nearly 22 years old. That way, I wouldn't feel like I was so behind compared to everyone else. Knowing those things would have made college a lot less scary starting out!

It's not a school that gives a free pass. The people that don't want to make any effort, shouldn't bother to go to OJC, because they'll just be wasting theirs, and everyone elses time.

Cody

Right now I am attending Otero Junior College. Academically this school is best known for its nursing program. I am not in the nursing program, I am attending this school mainly for its basketball program. I will graduate with an Associates of Science in Buiness on May 1, 2010.

Well first of all, I would know what I wanted to do in the future for my career, so I could direct myself in that way much earlier. I would have definitely changed some of my studying techniques during that senior year, so that I was prepared for the extra academic load that comes with college. Knowing what you want to do in the future helps you out so much I believe in college. You can then get your regular classes out of the way, and focus on exactly what you are going for in life.

The best thing about my high school was how much fun the students could have with the teachers while still learning a lot and being very serious towards academics. The teachers were awesome and very helpful. They were always willing to help you out no matter what the situation was. If you were serious about your academics and what you wanted to do, they would not hesitate to drop what they were doing and help you. It was great to have that type of help in my younger years in high school.

Daria

I wish that i would have known better study skills before i came to this school.

I think that the worst thing about this school is that there is not a variety in foods and the cafeteria is not open long enough.

I would have told myself that i should have taken more college credit courses so i could be more prepared. I think that i should have taken the standard test more serious than i did.

Otero Junior College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.