Los Angeles, CA
Otis College of Art and Design

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otis College of Art and Design

Briana

Advice i would give to parents would be not to force your child into anything and try to be open to what they like and possibly choose. I chose to go to an art school and my parents were so supportive of my choice which made me feel so good and complete with my decision, whereas some of my classmates told me how there parents were not so pumped on the idea of them going to an art school. Kinda sad. Advice to students would to really try to figure out what you want in life and where it may lead you. Do something that you would love to do, not doubt yourself. You're capable of anything. Don't let dreams be dreams.Another would be not to just choose a college where your friends go. Yes it's important to feel wanted and maybe the school you choose has a bunch of your friends attending too, but you really should see yourself in that environment and be happy. As scary as it is to think, this choice is the determination of your life. So choose wisely, confindently, and proudly.

I love that we are able do dig right into our major the second year here, and also i love that everyone could not care less how you dress. How you dress is how you dress. No judgement on that.

I wish i had a lot more money. This school requires to buy a massive load of supplies. Sophomore year in fashion , the kit you start out with is $1,024 . I'm in debt and have been taking out loans. : /

Esther

Otis College of Art and Design is unique because it is a Fine Arts school with Design integrated within it. It is open 24/7 and the campus is small. The classroom environment is not a big lecture hall but it is more personal. Students can actually ask questions and not feel stupid for it.

I believe that no matter what college a student attends, it's all about what they make of it. If they attend a junior college to save money, then do just that. Save. Don't waste your money on useless things. If you attend a private school, make the most of it by going to all of your classes and doing your work. Socialize with the people there because you need to network. As for actually picking the school, go to all of the schools that accepted you. Imagine yourself walking to your classes and sitting in the classrooms. If you can't picture yourself there, it's not for you.

I chose Otis because I wanted to have more options than only Architecture or only Interior design. Otis allows students in the major to learn Architecture design, Landscape design, and Interior Design. It's great because the three go hand in hand anyways. I am exposed to more and won't be narrow minded about just one aspect.

Esther

I first came to Otis College of Art and Design hoping to pursue Fashion Design until I heard about the Advertising program. This school offers many majors to the students and gives opportunities to learn. I felt like it was the right art school to attend straight out of high school. Many art schools out there are way too prestige to keep up with as soon as you graduate from high school.

I feel that many students decide on a college based on the location and rank more than what they want to study at the school. Towards the end of my senior year of high school I saw a education counselor. He made me take a survey on what I want to major in. My first result was art, then business, and finally medicine. I always had an interest in art but never really thought of pursuing it until this counselor told me an idea about art schools. I always thought I'd end up in a UC or any regular college besides a private art school. If I went to a UC I would've declared my major as undecided and not have an idea about what to do with my life. However knowing exactly what I wanted to do even before I started college and then going to a school that supported my major to the fullest was one of the best decisions of my life. I feel like I took a shortcut compared to many other students out there. So before deciding on a school, it would be better for you to know exactly what you want.

I feel like anyone who has an interest in art and has a strong motivation to work should attend this school. It is a lot of work but if you enjoy it you sure wont mind it. There are many young students more than older students who are continuing their education. It is a active environment at most times and offers many chances to become a great artist/designer.

A prestigious art school, rigirous, and very informed school.

A prestigious art school, rigirous, and very informed school.

As a college student, I would give the parents this advice in finding the right college for their kids: ask those who are or have attended the college. It's important to ask those who have experienced the college and to ask many people as possible. One person's opinion can be different from another, and it's important to listen carefully to what the students are saying. Another advice I strongly recommend is to enroll in a portfolio design school, or program. Many of the portfolio design programs and schools have access to many information and they also have much experience in the field. It is worth the money to invest in because you will make an informative descision before applying. A portfolio school helps you take advantage of the preperation before school begins, as well as the teachers and aides in the program and schools. For the students, I give this advice: Go to a school you feel most confident, and comfortable in. If at all possible, visit as many schools as you can before making your final desicion, and remember, don't be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS about other people's experiences in college. Good luck!

Because the school is small building wise, it is difficult to pick classes at which time will be suitable for me. Im forced to take classes that end at ten at night because its the only opening available.

Kim

Otis is a more skilled, focused and commited group of students, with skilled and encouraging faculty. The programs and classes offered are of better quality, as not only are we learning about the subject the course is about, but are given professional viewpoints, as well as standards. It is really mind broadening, engaging and helpful. It really introduces you problem solving and critical thinking projects. Otis isn't one shallow school. It's got a lot to offer, as well as growing as an indivdual with skill, ideas, and responsiblites, and experience, but and great job opportunities as well.

Education, of course, comes first as well as desired career and job opportunites. However, the community, the area, college programs, what a student wants to get out of college, financial situation, extracurricular activites, social life, individuality, and finding people/a group who are accepting/interested in one's individuality, or personal philosophy, is as equally important. I personally believe that a student has to ask themselves when they choose a college, and want to get the most out of it, is whether they've enrolled here for a certain desired social life/lifestyle, what they want to persure in college/ in the future, and to try and take advantage of what is thrown at them. It maybe hard at the moment to commit to something, or perhaps it is easy, but parents and students must never forget about flexiblities, options and experimenting/ questioning to really know what one wants or what a college has to offer. Obviously college can be a life changing experience, and a period of growth, that possibly will direct an individual, hopefully in what they want out of life, or even to discover what exactly they'd like out of life, socially and professionally. :)

I wish I had known more about location and the extracurricular activites.

Gianna

To maximize your college experience above all you need to know yourself and what kind of experience you want. It is hard to know coming from high school exactly what you want to be in life, not everyone is so lucky, but hopefully at that point you have some idea of who you are. This needs to be gauged carefully and you need to investigate the experience a college is selling. I know from experience that if you do not think about the kind of life you will lead away from academics, you will not be happy. Everything from location to meal plan; library resources, activities, politics, gender. Each school has its own persona and while not everyone there will meet the stereotype, you need to think bout the students. Do you want to be surrounded by party animals or bookworms, closed-minded or free-thinking people? How comfortable will you be surrounded by people who have a completely different background than your own? Do you like a challenge or will you be more comfortable with continuity? Looking for the right school is about the next step in your life and finding a place that will allow you to blossom.

A person wanting to attend Otis should be driven and confident. It takes a thick skin and a lot of perserverance to pull off the kind of work we are constantly being asked to deliver. Many late nights and challenging assignments should be expected. This person should be willing to churn out 15 differents solutions for one problem and be prepared to be critiqued and told that none are correct. He/She should above all know what they want from life because only this kind of forward-thinking person will succeed at a school with so much to offer.

The thing that most frustrates me about my school is the outside resources that it takes often times to pull off a project. I spend so much time at kinkos and various printers trying to produce my works. This takes gas, money and a lot of time. Sometimes I do not get the results I want simply because I do not have access to the kinds of technologies that I need when I need them. I wish that the school was more self contained and had moe printing and office type resources in order to improve my work.

Phylicia

The first thing any prospective undergraduate needs to do is to get an idea for what type of career you want, then research the schools that excel in that field and maybe give you the option to do something else you enjoy - as a contingency plan or a minor. You should research at least five schools and rank them, then visit your top three, minimum. Financial aid is always an important factor to consider once you've been accepted, but don't just choose the one that offers the most aid, unless its your first choice or the best alternative. If you don't get enough money to either of those, there are plenty of sites that offer scholarships for essays and a variety of other things, not to mention loans - as a last option, though. Another big part of college is housing. Living on campus is probably a good idea for first-year students, as you get the opportunity to build long-lasting friendships in the same community from the get-go. Joining clubs and creating them are other ways to achieve that. Just make sure to have fun, get acquainted, and work hard to achieve.

I think the most distinguishing aspect about Otis College of Art and Design is its fashion department. It's inarguably the toughest one to get into and from what I know, it seems worth it. The students get the opportunity to work alongside some big fashion designers, and in Senior and Junior year, they get a chance to showcase their designs at an annual fashion show, which many of said fashion designers attend.

Freshman year. Our entire academic schedule is determined by the school for the first semester so that we can get a feel for what each major is like like. There are activities in classes that have to do with Architecture, Fashion Design, Fine Arts, and Communication Arts, but nothing that offers experiences with Toy Design or Digital Media. Only in the second semester are we able to choose a Toy or Digital Media elective. I don't appreciate that Toy Design and Digital Media are underrepresented in this respect by only allowing them as electives rather than mandatory classes.

Otis College of Art and Design administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.