Los Angeles, CA
Otis College of Art and Design

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otis College of Art and Design

alfredo

oits is know for there great fine arts program. Their fashion is there top leading department. Otis has been around since 1910 and is one of the top ten art schools in america.

Life is so short. If i had the chance to go back i would focus on my studys listening to my parents and work harder.

The best thing this school has ,s that they are a community. Teachers and students have an one on one relationship which makes things more enjoyble.

Major

Most are very quiet and to themselves with a couple of outspoken highly confident dedicated students. This is how most artist carry themselves. All are pretty nice when you open up a little and work together on team projects. While I was attending Los Angeles Trade Tech College I had an array different personalities and cares. Some had no choice but to be there in class. Otis is expensive so you have to be dedicated!

Marquita, Pay attention and focus on this important information it is the key to your future and dreams. A door can be easily open to you with the right mind and heart so don't mess this up!!! Turn the television off, get your head out of the gossip magazines and read that book you have been carrying around in that bacckpack of yours!! It will ALL pay of young lady TRUST ME. Don't let your friends lead you in the wrong path. They may have their own incintive so be an excellent example of a positive student ready for what life has to offer. Be open to new positive opportunities!! It's a beautiful world...someone has to explore it.

A person not sure if the art field is there area. There are many art fields which is awesome so there is an area to choose from but don't go in having a "whatever" attitude. Everyone is serious in what they do, even faculty, so if a student plans on attending then be preprared to work harder than ever for a promising future.

Christopher

College is only worth while because I put my the time and effort into it, and for that, I am a part of a strong community. I would tell myself to grow up a litte, even though I tried to act mature, god knows I did not try. I would also tell myself to have more fun, to enjoy life more because when college comes, there will be no time, especially at an art school. Also, had I tried harder, my grade point average would not be so low and I would have gotten more opportunities to a scholarship. I use to think high school was a joke but it is sort of like an exercise to a successful path.

As soon as I walked through the hallways, the classrooms, and the campus, I felt very comfortable. I think that is pretty important. The Otis community is pretty small but itis strong. The school is small and we are divided up into sections so we get really close and its like having a second family. One of the best things about Otis is the faculty. The faculty really care and they try to support the students and they will really help the students progress as professional artists and designers. The Insturctors really give a damn.

Most people think Art school is just about fingerpainting and underwater basket weaving because they think art is simple. I like to think we are creative people, we are rebels and we think outside the box. We are designers and artists and design is everywhere. We "dress" the world.

Rachael

I cannot pinpoint just one thing to be the best thing at my school, but I can narrow it down to two aspects: 1. The rigorous workload that encourages higher learning. 2. The liberal environment that encourages diversity in all areas of life (religion, political views, culture, physical appearance, etc.) The hefty workload is commonplace at Otis and personally, it has conditioned me to continually strive for better. The encouraging of diversity on campus opens my eyes to the variety of ways of life and makes me a more open, tolerant, and well-rounded individual.

I would tell myself this: "Going through everything I have gone through, meeting all the people that I have met, and learning everything that I have learned in the past six years I can tell you with complete confidence that I really don't know much about what I want to do for the rest of my life any more than you do. The comforting side of that statement is that it is ok. The things you do need to do is follow your passions because they keep you alive and motivated. At the same time, be practical, because it will keep you grounded and realistic. Be open to everything and never let bias and narrow mindedness interfere with your open and critical thinking. This is how you grow. Also, you have access to school services, USE THEM. Never be afraid to ask questions, because I know you have them. The only stupid question is the one you failed to ask because you thought it was stupid. These are the fundamentals I can tell you about making it through college and getting the most out of that experience; That, and of course, work hard. P.s. Apply for scholarships."

I wouldn't call it bragging, but the thing I talk about most when talking to people outside of school is how hard it is, but at the same time, how rewarding it is. I cannot even recall how many times I have said, "I have not slept in 2 days", but at the same time given off and felt and undertone of pride and achievement in saying it because I have put all this hardwork and heart into something I have created. In the end, maybe it is indirect bragging.

Natalie

I love that Otis puts the students in such a career-oriented frame of mind. The teachers really emphasize the way our work and work-ethic relates to the industry that we are being trained to work in. I also like the small class sizes because I strongly believe it is much more beneficial to each student's improvement. Otis is great because the cirriculum gets straight into what the student wants to be learning. Otis has a great reputation within art and design industries because of how well the students are prepared for jobs.

I think that going to a school like Otis requires a student who is dedicated to doing work. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone going to college with a social experience in mind. Otis is fantastic when you are prepared to get down to business, but I am so thankful for my previous year at Texas Christian University. While I attended TCU, I joined a sorority, lived out of state, went to football games, and of course attended classes in a fairly large university setting. These are life experiences that I highly value and would not recommend skipping. I do not consider it a waste of money, time, or effort as I recieved transfer credits, and in that year I grew a lot as a person. When the time came, I knew I needed to be at a design school if I wanted to be successful in the fashion industry. So my best advice would be to follow your heart. Now is the perfect time to test things out so that you can find yourself, and you will discover where you need to be in order to set a path that will take you toward your goals in life.

The freshmen student housing program is terrible. The apartments are beautiful, but my roomates and I found out too late that we are paying four times the money it costs other renters to live there. The contract we are under is unreasonable. I have friends who transferred, but they still had to pay their housing fees. Lastly, no one wants to pay so much money to be under the supervision of ill-informed Resident Assistants. Every time I have needed help with something regarding housing, I have asked an R.A., and they are not helpful in the least.

Amelia

I graduated high school in 2004, and my mindset then was completely opposite of my mindset now regarding my future and the participation of a college education within it. As a high school senior I was a salmon swimming upstream not caring about taking SAT's or applying to prestigious schools. To me, the rest of the students were like hamsters running on wheels, doing what seniors were "supposed" to do, stressing out, getting pats on the back for good scores and acceptance letters; how good could you make the high school look? I chose to be an outsider to this ritual and participate minimally being the stubborn and headstrong person that I was and to some degree still am. Believing that college is about process rather than an end result, I spent 4 yrs in community college, which was essential to my realizing the value and purpose of a higher education and its relevance in my life. I would advise myself to continue following my own beliefs rather than going through the motions of what is expected. I made the right decision, and now like a ripened fruit, have grown into a new vision of my individuality.

The most negative and unappealing aspect of Otis is the amount of tuition and the stress the upcoming years are going to have on my own finances and my parents. Having spent four years dabbling in community college, I realize the value of a private art school's education, which is worth every penny, but I can't help but worry about how much debt my family and I will be in after I graduate.

The most frustrating experiences I have had this year are stemmed from pushing myself to create better work. Otis has a very challenging curriculum and the teachers always stress that a "B" is a great grade and "A's" are rarities; this frustrates me because while I understand that a "B" is acceptable and considered a competent grade, I am up to the challenge of getting an "A" on my assignments. I want to be more than competent, I want to nail the purpose of each assignment. I am glad the bar is set high at Otis.

Isaac

First it was known for their strong Fashion Program as well as the Toy Design program, but over the past few years, Otis became known for their strong Digital Media Program. Its demanding and reqires alot of creativity and work, and its required to have a very strict time managment.

If I could go back and advice myself about college life, it would be that I need to know how to manage my time better in the future. For the career/field that I am about to go into, it demands alot of time inside and outside of school. Besides that, there isn't much to worry about, because its going to be something that you always loved doing. There's alot of support at school that encouges you, and aknowledges you as a student, but more importantly, a possible employee in the field. This is a very professional school, and you need to prepare to work at a professional level.

Nothing. Your teachers and professors take care of you. There are a lot of people that are undecided on what they want, but because of a large age group, everyone encourages each other

kim

my classmates are a group of hardworking, fun-loving people. we share notes as well as jokes.

this school isn't very well known, but in my opinion it rivals parsons and fit (other acredited fashion colleges)

I would tell myself : This is the real deal!!! your gpa matters. get your money's worth and WORK YOUR ASS OFF!!!! As for being social and partying, it seems exciting but trust me, it gets old fast. Focus on school, there will always be time to party later in life.

Go straight into college right out of high school, do not take a break. If you get a full time job and start getting paid you will not want to stop working to go to school. If you start early you can finish early to do all the fun stuff you want to do, but with a real job and real pay. Also to maintain a high GPA from the start so that later when you are trying to apply for different schools and programs GPA is not a set back. It is easy to bring down but hard to get it back up. NEVER QUIT or break until you are where you want to be no matter what.

Tritia

My classmates are a very diverse, artistic, friendly, intelligent group of people who are concerned with doing well and helping each other out.

I would tell myself that the path I took was not the greatest, but it really did help me to figure out where I was going and what I was doing with my life. I would also tell myself to keep an open mind in all of my classes, and that although things might seem a little odd and might have nothing to do with the real world, I can learn some very important lessons from them. I would tell myself that not everything is straight forward in this world, and that I need to figure out different ways to finish a project so I can come up with my own style and my own path. I would also tell myself not to worry too much, that things will work out as long as I keep my head up and continue to work hard.

All of the different resources we have available to us, this allows us to save time and money (somewhat) when we can print and create at our school instead of having to drive around to find different companies to do the work for us.

Otis College of Art and Design administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.