Los Angeles, CA
Otis College of Art and Design

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otis College of Art and Design

caitlin

We have a unique mentor program with fashion companies, in which big designers in the field grade our work and give us our design directions.

someone who knows what the want from their education and is willing to WORK for it. Knowing who you are and what you want is the only way to get through the rigorous curriculum.

james

They are focused and great sources for inspiration.

They are focused and great sources for inspiration.

I would say, hey slacker wake up! After getting my attention I would proceed to tell myself that if i had just thought for a second that I was paying for school and not my parents, I would probably pay more attention in class. After I went to college and paid my own way I started to show up to every class and participate. My grades were dramatically changed for the better and I was excited to be doing so well. If I could have thought this way in high school I might have gotten into Yale.

It is so intense and demanding. The curriculum is set which is pretty frustrating and the hours spent on projects can be overwhelming.

Judith

I don't think I would give myself advice about going to college. I loved coming into the experience with no expectations and just going through it one day at a time. The struggles I faced helped me grow and learn about myself and how to live on my own. My experience is probably different than most since I went to an art school and the transition is pretty easy. The pople here are great and easy for me to relate to and everybody was here ready to help. If I had to say something to myself I would just tell myself to go for it and trust my gut instinct on situations and work hard and try my best like I know I always do.

The poeople and the encouraging environment they create.

Each class is a minimum of three hours long and we need to take 6 classes to be full time.

Gerald

Take less classes so you'll have more time to make artwork and keep in touch with your classmates.

People looking for a well-rounded education in the arts should put this school at the top of their list. If you don't have a desire to go into the arts, this isn't the school for you.

It has an art theory program while other art schools are scrapping them.

Kaylyn

Everyone, particularly the faculty is extremely friendly. The professors are very personable and interested in helping you. The projects are extremely focused and in line with the goals of the course. The workload is heavy, but if you are interested, you will love it.

Improvement cannot occur without change. And while some changes stand out greater than others, like making the transition to college, the more trying the challenge, the more benefit to be gained. Having learned as much as I have, about living with others who were vastly different from me and some all too similar, and embracing the great freedoms and responsibilities of adulthood living away form home, I see that college is not just about what is learned inside the classroom.I would emphasize this to my high school-self: It is not healthy to grow in one direction but in all--to live a balanced life. It is crucial to nurture oneself wholly. As college boasts more bluntly, learning is extremely valuable: by guide of professors, alongside friends, in a spiritual community, in physical challenges, and next to family. Choose a college that can benefit you best in all areas.

I imagine others would appreciate a strong heads up about how much work is given at this school. The social aspect of the school is very bleak and the school has not been effective at enhancing it.

Bryce

I definitely wish that I had a much stronger art program in my high school. Classes with actual substance, not just arts and crafts time with a so called ?fine artist? who hardly has a foundation knowledge themselves. And private lessons just never really panned out for me. Of the few that I had it was ?craft time? which discouraged me even more to the point where it wasn?t a strong commitment to me, because good instruction was so hard to find, I really stayed away from the private, and outside instruction. However, even if I did manage to find a great outside instructor, I am pretty sure by that time I wouldn?t of even been mature and determined enough to really devote myself over to it. It is a definite obstacle to act contradictary to your own nature. It is a really crazy thing to think about, so much of my young adult life has been affected by a decision made by an even more confused, indecisive, young me.

Someone who knows what they want, to study It is hard to know right away, and you most likely will change your mind but be serious about your future, IT'S HARD TO KEEP IT IN SIGHT A Lot of times but you will thank yourself later. Just try to stay focused, but flexible.

Someone who slacks off, or Is very unsure of what they want to do, don't listen to anyone ! you do not know until you have done it, 4 years is a very short period of time to achieve everything you should do.

Alexandra

I would really think about what it is I wanted to do that realistically I could support myself on after college.

There is a new fine arts building.

I dont brag about it, but I think that living in los angeles gives you acess to good resources that are helpful in an education.

HAE-MIN

When you enter college, do not have high hopes. You will be disappointed once you see how hard it is.

The Fashion Campus is not 24/7. Other than that, its perfect. =)

People who are well driven and don't slack off on their work. The students at Otis need to be on top of everything.

Melba

The advise I would give my past self is to not stress, that stress is wasted energy and can be used for something productive. Another piece of advise would be not to procrastinate, even though there are times that it cannot be helped. What I've learned from going to Otis College of Art and Design, is that students are trained to be prolific and skillful artist. And in the beginning it's only natural to be intimidated by the different levels of skill. Other than that, college life has been good so far, I have learned how to manage my workload and create a perfect balance between my school and social life.

Someone that isn't open to constructive criticism, and that would take criticism the wrong way. Since Otis is an art school, there are a lot of group crits in all the deparments, students are encouraged to learn from advise and opinions rather than take offense.

The only thing that can become frusterating is the work load, and that only happens when they are not managed well.

Eunsoo

Being sociable is the most important to be successful in high school. Of course, academic success is also needed, but success in life cannot be determined through how successful a student is in scholastic marks. Instead of spending much time to focus only one's own benefit, such as the school records, to help people is more valuable. However, laziness kills one, and disregarding school work is deserting a student's duty. If there is any chance to step forward, it is required to take the opportunity even if there are endless challenges. Trying something that one has never experienced brings one to see more of the world. Do not be lazy, and be sociable. Do not afraid to take the challenges.

The worst thing is the lack of amenities. The school is very small and does not have any gym or swimming pool. It seems quite boring that this is the place for only learning art and design.

A lazy person should not attend this school because there is a lot to do. There are endless challenges and homework to make a student stronger, but if one is afraid of doing so tough jobs, the one should not attend this school. Many students can't sleep enough, and it is natural. Only some faithful students can be successful in this school.

Otis College of Art and Design administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.