Los Angeles, CA
Otis College of Art and Design

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otis College of Art and Design

Anina

Otis is a superb institution that transforms its students to the best artists and designers in the artistic field. It is a fun, yet disciplined school that will prepare individuals for professional work. The work results of the graduating class, even the younger undergraduates are very well executed and planned.

The most important question in the college application process isn?t the one that requires a 250 word limit, or a quote from a famous author or poet, it is the question the applicant must sincerely answer in the secret corners of his or her mind, ?Why do I want to go to college??. My advice to prospective undergraduates is first, to simply answer this question truthfully, and following, to apply their answer to the college that will best serve their reason or purpose. Choose the one that will help you fulfill your ultimate dream of perhaps becoming the next Einstein, or Van Gogh. Although it is a wise decision to weigh the differences and propositions of each institution, it is equally important to follow your heart. You must feel at ease in the campus and surroundings because you will be spending four or more years of your life within its grounds. Ultimately, one should never be discouraged by financial hindrances within the college process because there will always be a way around and out of these difficulties. College is all about willpower and making wise decisions, invest in a school that will guarantee you success in the future.

A person who lacks discipline and determination should not think about entering this school at all. The work load is extremely intense, and is not joke! However, if one passes their courses, they will learn that all their work is extra valuable and is very important to their success.

Wendy

Otis is the best hands-on, self-motivating, school where anyone who is willing to learn, will learn from the best people in the industry.

My advice for students is to go to the one that suits the type of career they want. Go to a school that will have people with similar goals, to help each other surpass difficult circumstances, and motivate each other. Having people truly understand what you're going through because they're going through the same in college is the best way to not only talk through problems you have, but also a way to make friends and possible career partners for life. For parents trying to help their kids find the college for them: direct him/her to the path where he/she may find the perfect school. Don't force them into one specific college YOU chose. Comfort them if they are stressed, and listen to what your kids have to say. Students should feel comfortable going to the college they are attending so they can have a positive outlook on their first day of school, and the years they will be attending it. To get the best college experience, be positive and open-minded, and Interact with social activities. The friends you make there may help out with something you may need while in college or afterwards.

The worst thing would be the "getting used to". The first year is the year to get adjusted to big work loads, hard work, and really learn responsibilty. But as the years progress, one just gets used to having the big work load, and no social life, because that slowly dimishes as Finals time arrives.

Khue

From my personal experience I believe that when it comes to deciding the best college for your child there are many aspects you should consider. The first thing as a parent, I think you should consider your child?s needs and not what you think is best for him or her. You don?t want to pressure your child into a career that he or she in not passionate about, because ultimately in the end you are not considering your child?s happiness. If your child is undecided take the time to help him or her discover different careers they might enjoy and give them an idea of what their future might entails. Secondly, take time to visit different colleges that specialize in that specific majors, but also one that provides a wide range of academic majors. Also consider the extracurricular possibilities, the classroom size, the facilities, and the safety of living environment. I am sure that this process is hard for any parent, and even when you have carefully researched everything, there might be obstacles that they may encounter. I believe the most important thing to keep in mind is to have an open mind and be supportive.

Equipment available compare to the number of students

Parking, Time available for students to use certain equipments (lab hours)

most students tend to work on their own and will only work in groups if they are forced to by a teachers group project.

The most imortant thing anyone can do when looking for a college, ask as many people you can about everything that is on mind about the school. Even if it seems like a stupid question, keep in mind that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Also, if the major that your planning to go into requires certain facilities or equipment, then go visit the school and make sure they has a working facility or lab. For example, I've met student who have gone to a school for sculpting and pottery just to find out after they get to their new school that all the kelms and ovens for the pottery classes have been donated to another school and the pottery work space has been converted into a cafe area. And it is just too fustrating to deal with something like that espicially if your paying for school out of your own pocket. The right tools are everything, I know the only reason I'm at my school and not some other one is because of the computer labs and equipment in the woodshop and I'm so glad I researched all that before applying to schools.

The worst thing has to be the fact that some teachers have so much authority and opinion on what goes on that they are able to dominate over other teachers and their classrooms, so its really like only getting one opinion on an assignment instead of the five different opinions that I should be getting from different teachers.

Hyeyoun

they are very understanding and friendly.

they are very understanding and friendly.

if ever your sons or daughters want to major in fashion design, be sure they really have passion to do it, because school work loads are extreme and we almost don't have social life while attending the school.

fashion students are not able to stay at school after the classes are over.

Brittnee

Here at Otis College of Art and Design, the students on campus consist of ethnically, socio-economically and politically diverse individuals, who have chosen to pursue their passion in the visual arts.

Otis College of Art and Design is a world renowned school, most commonly known in the art world for its Fashion Design and Digital Design majors. At this college, students pursue their artistic dreams, while each major offered allows its students to learn from professors and mentors who are working in the professional industry. With an intense curriculum, students are taught in a fashion that simulates the career environment that they are attempting to achieve, so that they will be well prepared to succeed in their future careers.

I believe that the best way to find a college that will suit your needs or your child?s needs the best is to first know what the student wants to pursue career wise. In my case, I attended an art high school, so I already knew that I wanted to attend an art college. Then, I thought about all of the art courses I had taken and decided to pursue a degree in Fashion Design since I enjoyed and felt that I had the most talent in that particular art field. Once I knew what I wanted to major in, finding the best colleges, with the best fashion curriculum was easy. After my research, I was left with three options, Otis College of Art and Design in California, Parsons Art School in New York, or Commercial Saint Martins in England. In the end, I chose to attend Otis College, primarily because it had the smallest campus, which I felt was a more conducive learning environment for my quiet personality, and was also close to home, so that I could study in a familiar environment instead of having to tackle a new home and a new school simultaneously.

Lizabeth

Always research first-hand. Student life is almost always the strongest deciding factor in choosing a school. It is where life-long friends and career connections are made. We are always told, ?These are the people you will be working with in your future.? So don?t be shy and get to know everyone. By building a strong support group of friends, and you will always land on your feet. Never think of your classmates as competition, they?re your main support. Also never let money dictate your future. If you really want to attend a college that is expensive, but worth the education, do it. Money is not worth unhappiness if someone can?t do what he loves. My family does what little they can, but my housing, supplies, and most of my tuition I personally take out loans for. Am I freaked out about being able to pay them off? Yes. But I know that my school is preparing me to have the well paying career I need and will deserve. So when deciding your college, make sure it is a school with ample help in career services, and one that emphasizes an active and thriving student body.

Jobs and internships are the most important and increasingly unreliable aspects in a student?s future considering today?s economy. So being in a school that lets a person choose which major suits him/her best and then be able to expand upon that into a reliable career makes Otis the most desirable school. Otis arranges internship fairs and often has companies come to the department chairs looking for future employees. Companies know Otis students are armed with knowledge, experience, and quality. Otis truly prepares its students for the future.

What Otis lacks is a broader sense of community. Being that it is a small, private school, students rely closely on each other for help and advice. Yet at the same time, students are sorted out freshmen year into sections, and the following years into sections within the major of the student?s choosing. So getting to know one?s class is difficult. Also the number of clubs is extremely limited. And even if one was to join or create one, there is little time to splurge in an extracurricular club if focused on homework.

Jaimie

Otis offers a unique experience in that we get the opportunity to work side by side with professionals in our fields of study...

The advice I would give to parents and/or students about finding the right college to attend is to narrow your search by keeping in mind what you want to major in or what career(s) you might be interested in. Research on schools that offer the program of your choice, find out everything you can about them. Once you have narrowed your search, I believe the most important thing is to physically go to the school and talk to faculty and more importantly the students that attend the college. By doing this you will get first hand experience of what to expect if and when you attend the school and it allows you to make a better choice in finding out which is the best school/program for you. This also allows you to make more of your college experience, find schools that offer activites, other than your major, that you are passionate about. When it comes to making the best of your college experience, atleast in my school, for me, I beleive the most important thing is to take advantage of the facutly and professionals in the field that we get to work with and learn from.

slackers, people who are unmotivated, lazy or not serious about what they want to do for a career.

Emma

The most important factor when finding the right college is that the school has a strong program for your desired major. Visit the school and decide if the students and faculty feel right for you. Take in the local area and decide if it could be home. Apply for financial aid and scholarships. The more you apply, the more you get! It is important to follow your passion. This is the only way to be dedicated to your studies. If you love what you are studying, you will put extra energy into your assignments. The extra care will create stronger work and better opportunities for your future. This leads to not just a job, but to a career that will fulfill your life. Time management is key to making the most of your college experience. You have to plan time for not only work, but fun too! Hang out with friends and exercise to let off steam. Take advantage of cultural events in your neighborhood. Make study groups with peers so homework can be fun. Never forget your family, they're always a call away for comfort. And ultimately, remember that the only person you need to satisfy is yourself.

The thing about my school that I consider best is the fact that the students are diverse while sharing a sense of community. Unique individuals are able to come together studying different art fields, but all have a common passion for learning about the arts.

I wish I was better with time management before I came to Otis. I am glad I spent some time at a junior college before because it gave me some time to transition and become responsible. My previous classes were a joke compared to the work load at Otis. But I feel I learn more in two weeks of a semester than I did in all of my time at my junior college. But Otis forced me to change my work habits for the better; it just would have been easier to know this before. My first semester was stressful.

Olga

All my classmates are my friends.

All my classmates are my friends.

My advice for parents and students is to do deep reserch about the college, it's admition order, tuition and finansial aid. Also, visit the chosen college, either by an organized or informal tour, and see for yourself .

There is nothing negative in my shcool.

Otis College of Art and Design administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.