Otis College of Art and Design

« See more reviews of Otis College of Art and Design

I believe our school, although it is located in very resourceful environment (middle of downtown) it is dangerous and our school has space issues and lack of material issues. We do not have lockers, and often have to share most of the equipments that are crucial to our projects and learning processes. Also we do not have 24 hour access to our school. (Main campus located next to LAX is 24 hours accesible) This restricts students from using school equiptments after school or other free times for our individual studying and further developments or catching ups.

The freshmen student housing program is terrible. The apartments are beautiful, but my roomates and I found out too late that we are paying four times the money it costs other renters to live there. The contract we are under is unreasonable. I have friends who transferred, but they still had to pay their housing fees. Lastly, no one wants to pay so much money to be under the supervision of ill-informed Resident Assistants. Every time I have needed help with something regarding housing, I have asked an R.A., and they are not helpful in the least.

I believe the worst thing about Otis college of Art and Design would be not having or pursuing many extra curricular activities. It is not all the school?s fault, because we as students are busy with our workload. With out the activities, there are no chances for any majors to get to know or socialize with each other. I want to get to know other students in other majors, because when I graduate from Otis, I would seek help from other industries/majors as well. I would like to have student activities to build more school spirit for Otis.

The worst thing about my school is structure of the Digital Media program. I feel as though we need teachers who not only have been in the industry, but are working for the heavy hitting studios and working on top notch projects. This will encourage the students to prosper more rather than sit around and wait to become like them. I understand a teacher is not going to make you who you are, but right now, the only reason I know so much is because I did not sit around and wait, I went out and taught myself.

The worse thing about my school is also the best. As it is located in Los Angeles this allows for good publicity, however I commute on public transit for more than two hours a day to get there and back. While I do enjoy the surroundings and location of my school, the worst part about my school is how far it is from my town. Going to a school that is in such a big city does not make it easy to get a cheap place to live, especially with the beach only fifteen minutes away.

I don't like how fashion design students are separated from the rest of the school. It makes fashion students feel like they are not a part of the whole Otis community. And because of the disconnect between the fashion student and the rest of the school, fashion students feel awkward or left out when at the main campus. also, other students have misconceptions about fashion student because most of the other students don't know any fashion students.

The most negative and unappealing aspect of Otis is the amount of tuition and the stress the upcoming years are going to have on my own finances and my parents. Having spent four years dabbling in community college, I realize the value of a private art school's education, which is worth every penny, but I can't help but worry about how much debt my family and I will be in after I graduate.

The worst thing about this school is that it is difficult to find affordable effective housing. By effective I mean to say that it should be close to school, good neighborhood and spacious enough for an art student. It is near LAX so traffic is terrible for anyone who does not live near to school. The school is in an expensive neighborhood, which adds to the dilema.

The worst thing has to be the fact that some teachers have so much authority and opinion on what goes on that they are able to dominate over other teachers and their classrooms, so its really like only getting one opinion on an assignment instead of the five different opinions that I should be getting from different teachers.

The worst thing would be the "getting used to". The first year is the year to get adjusted to big work loads, hard work, and really learn responsibilty. But as the years progress, one just gets used to having the big work load, and no social life, because that slowly dimishes as Finals time arrives.