Otis College of Art and Design

« See more reviews of Otis College of Art and Design

Marquita, Pay attention and focus on this important information it is the key to your future and dreams. A door can be easily open to you with the right mind and heart so don't mess this up!!! Turn the television off, get your head out of the gossip magazines and read that book you have been carrying around in that bacckpack of yours!! It will ALL pay of young lady TRUST ME. Don't let your friends lead you in the wrong path. They may have their own incintive so be an excellent example of a positive student ready for what life has to offer. Be open to new positive opportunities!! It's a beautiful world...someone has to explore it.

There is no "perfect" college, or perfect college experience. When I was searching for Colleges, I put too much emphasis on finding the "perfect" place and thus built up my expectations to an unreasonably high level. When my expectations were inevitably unmet, I transferred. Luckily, upon transferring, I realized the most important consideration to make is that concerning your raw intentions, your true passion. Trust in those true personal goals, not in finding the "perfect" college to house all of your potential, as that potential is in you specifically and always has been! College is just the next step, and one of many!

I would tell any student/parent who is looking into colleges to visit as many as possible because it is important to have a good feeling about where you are spending your college years. Only by visiting the actual campus can one accurately test if that is the right college for you. You should feel comfortable about the campus, teachers, and other students. Make sure you have your living options ready and be ready to improvise. Keep a constant grasp on your homework from the start to prevent falling behind in your work. It is better to not fall behind in classes and that your faculty and learning labs are there to help you.

I don't think I would give myself advice about going to college. I loved coming into the experience with no expectations and just going through it one day at a time. The struggles I faced helped me grow and learn about myself and how to live on my own. My experience is probably different than most since I went to an art school and the transition is pretty easy. The pople here are great and easy for me to relate to and everybody was here ready to help. If I had to say something to myself I would just tell myself to go for it and trust my gut instinct on situations and work hard and try my best like I know I always do.

The advise I would give my past self is to not stress, that stress is wasted energy and can be used for something productive. Another piece of advise would be not to procrastinate, even though there are times that it cannot be helped. What I've learned from going to Otis College of Art and Design, is that students are trained to be prolific and skillful artist. And in the beginning it's only natural to be intimidated by the different levels of skill. Other than that, college life has been good so far, I have learned how to manage my workload and create a perfect balance between my school and social life.

College is only worth while because I put my the time and effort into it, and for that, I am a part of a strong community. I would tell myself to grow up a litte, even though I tried to act mature, god knows I did not try. I would also tell myself to have more fun, to enjoy life more because when college comes, there will be no time, especially at an art school. Also, had I tried harder, my grade point average would not be so low and I would have gotten more opportunities to a scholarship. I use to think high school was a joke but it is sort of like an exercise to a successful path.

If I had the opportunity to do this, the best advice I could give myself would be to relax. Selecting and finding a school, and worrying about financial aid can be stressful. There were many students who didn?t know if they could afford to go to college, and I was one of them. One of the biggest problems for me was money, and not knowing about the options out there. Financial aid, student and government loans are available to students who need that extra help. So if I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to let money be stressful, because there is always a way to work it out.

I believe that no matter what college a student attends, it's all about what they make of it. If they attend a junior college to save money, then do just that. Save. Don't waste your money on useless things. If you attend a private school, make the most of it by going to all of your classes and doing your work. Socialize with the people there because you need to network. As for actually picking the school, go to all of the schools that accepted you. Imagine yourself walking to your classes and sitting in the classrooms. If you can't picture yourself there, it's not for you.

I suggest to follow what YOU want to do. Instead of listening to your friends or family about how your life path should be run, take the course of what you would ulitmately love to do with your life. Everyone gets one chance at this life, and it's better to live it doing something that you love rather than something that you dislike. Find your passion and your strenghts, build upon that. But also, don's disregard your faults, because as humans, we should always strive to better ourselves by acknowledging our faults and correcting them and becoming a better person as a result.

If I could go back and advice myself about college life, it would be that I need to know how to manage my time better in the future. For the career/field that I am about to go into, it demands alot of time inside and outside of school. Besides that, there isn't much to worry about, because its going to be something that you always loved doing. There's alot of support at school that encouges you, and aknowledges you as a student, but more importantly, a possible employee in the field. This is a very professional school, and you need to prepare to work at a professional level.