Westerville, OH
Otterbein University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Otterbein University

Holly

My classmates are culturaly, sexually, and religiously diverse and are very friendly and willing to help out if they can.

My school is best known for its nursing programs, equine programs, and music program.

Don't worry about money as much as the quality of the education. Living on campus is the best way to get integrated and out in the real world faster.

Claire

A liberal arts education. Being a small campus close to a major city.

A liberal arts education. Being a small campus close to a major city.

I wondered how I would know which school was best. One person said, "You're going to go where you are most needed." Another said that I would go "where I was most wanted." And I believe both of those things happened. I started my research early. For me, finding schools that offered great degree programs inwhat I wanted to study was what was important to me. That's what led my research. From there I got a list of schools and applied. The college visits played a huge part in which college I picked. Actually seeing what a communter school was like dramatically changed what schools I would continue to look at. When I visited the school that I now currently attend, I had a feeling in my gut that this was the right school, that I'd be able to make a second home there. I went to the school where I was most wanted. I believe my college needed me to make it an even better school. I am fulfilled in college because I learn inside and outside the classroom. I have been getting the most out of college by using my talents to better the college.

The best thing about this school is the student/faculty relationship that you get at this school. The professors become your cheerleaders to succeed and for some a second family.

The best advice any student could recieve is to find what is the best overall fit by making a list of things in their life they would like to continue in college. Such as community service, sports, music, etc. This will really help to organize a list of schools. Different schools offer different activities find the ones that you are most interested in! After all you will be the one involved! Also, price should not determine whether the school is right for you. All schools give financial aid and any pricey school can be made affordable by the amount of work that is put into finding scholarships, grants and loans. The money is out there; it just has to be found and for many cities there are services that help- including high school guidence counselors. Other things to keep in mind -Don't go into this process alone, help is available for all the steps of college from visits to financial aid. Don't give up if it all seems overwelming, in the end it will be worth the process. College is a very rewarding and exciting time of life and everyone should experience it.

When I brag about my school, I start with how beautiful the campus is and how nice the buildings are, including dorms and academic buildings. The dorms also have large rooms for students to live in, which is not the case in most colleges. I believe that because Otterbein is so nice that this is a large reason students choose Otterbein College as the school of their choice.

Leah

It's a very small school, but it's close to Ohio State. It's close to downtown Columbus, but far away enough that you're not in the big city!

The best advice I would give is to visit a lot of colleges and fill out as many scholarships as possible. Even if you think you have your decision made, look at other colleges because you may find a college that suits you better. Continue to fill out all the scholarships you can get your hands on because the more money you get now, the less you'll have to pay back. By doing these two things, students and their parents will make sure they find the best college for them while paying the least amount of money.

Very nice open-minded people willing to discuss and learn at any opportunity.

Very nice open-minded people willing to discuss and learn at any opportunity.

Make multiple visits to experience different tour guides, maybe even in different seasons. Meet as many people as you can and have a sit down talk with the financial aid advisors, a lot of time the advisor that is recruiting you will say anything to get you in and your financial aid may change, be wary about that. Other than that, as corny as it sounds, 'follow your heart'.

There is not a lot of activities on the weekends because there are so many commuters and students who live locally and go home on weekends.

Zachary

There is a great, personable faculty. The faculty-to-student ratio is such that a student can get plenty of personal attention and the class sizes are usually small. The other school I applied to was a large state school. The faculty was very impersonal, and seemed somewhat indifferent to my presence when I visited... I viewed this as extremely poor recruiting. I felt I would not get the kind of personal attention that is available at Otterbein, and so I chose Otterbein. I have not been disappointed in my choice so far.

Otterbein College, being a liberal arts school, offers a very well-rounded curriculum. Because of this, you will leave the college as a very well-educated adult. Otterbein also makes a conscious effort to prepare you for the "real world" in ways that other colleges overlook. If I could give a piece of advice, I would say do not hesitate to get involved on campus. Whether you join the Greek community or the Otterbein Christian Fellowship, or one of the innumerable other opportunities for campus engagement, it is unavoidable that long-lasting friendships will be made. Otterbein is well worth the money that it takes to attend school there, but do not wait to apply for scholarships. Financial difficulties can add stress to your already stressful college career (I know from personal experience). Otterbein has a beautiful home-town campus on which it is not difficult at all to feel at home, which makes for pleasant living and visiting (for you parents out there). It is gorgeous in all seasons, and the climate is very liveable. It isn't hard to have a good time at Otterbein, all you have to do is want it for yourself!

Otterbein is a great school for anyone who wants a close-knit community of students. It is easy to make friends on Otterbein's campus, so new students needn't worry that they won't fit in. The WILL find a niche, and people WILL know their name all over campus. All interests are encouraged on campus, and are therefore there are plenty of ways to express one's self, and plenty of things to do extracurricularly. It is a fairly liberal, non-judgemental campus. I would recommend Otterbein to all.

Alicia

It is a nice place with a emphasis on the performing arts but a good life and earth science department.

Start the college search as soon as possible. Make sure that you visit a variety of campuses and make sure that the school of your choice has several of your favorite majors! Choose the school that you find the best even if it is expensive--there is a lot of financial aid out there, and it is very important to choose the right school for you. To make the best of your college experience, try new things. Don't put off socializing, but never miss class! You will make much better grades if you attend each class and you can have better relationships with your professors. Your professors could end up becoming your future coworkers in your career! Meet lots of new people, but remember the reason why you are at college. Make your academics the top priority, not just for good grades and scholarships, but because you are training for your future career. No one wants a C-average doctor--they only learned 70% of the required material! That is dangerous! Even if you are not becoming a doctor, you want to be the best at whatever it is that you will become!

A person who likes a larger campus with more options shouldn't attend Otterbein.

Given my own experience in choosing a college, I would highly recommend going to the college you most desire attending no matter the amount of financial aid offered, if any. Try for all sorts of scholarships as receiving any amount will help defray costs and keep loans down. Granted, the amount of loans possibly taken out could be a bit more than is comfortable, but I strongly believe that having academic and social experiences you know you will benefit from and remember is slightly more important. I wanted to attend a college in a large city where I could discover or learn or experience something new any time I went roaming off campus. However, I chose to attend the college I'm currently enrolled in because they offered the most financial aid, and, honestly, I slightly regret the decision. I wanted something bigger than me, but I got something smaller. Chase your desires and stand up to obstacles because nothing else will satisfy you more than those experiences that will come after doing so.

Someone who loves the big cities and has a constant desire to get off campus and experience the surrounding areas.

Kali

don't let size intimidate you. Even if you went to a small school for most of your life doesn't mean you can't adjust to a large university.

I wish i had of learned sooner that there is a group of people there for me, i just had to wait it out and find them.

Some of the people. Since it's a small private, dry campus there are a lot of students here who hold their heads higher than others because they feel as if they can. When i say people. i mean mainly girls.

My classmates are competitive, scholarly and friendly.

My classmates are competitive, scholarly and friendly.

Parents usually have mixed feelings when it comes to their children and college. I know that my parents wanted to make sure that I went to the college that was right for me. For students, if you know what you want to do going into college, great for you. Selecting a college will be easier. For those who don't have it all figure out just yet, look for a school that offers classes that cover a wide variety of academics. Look for colleges that are in your price range. If they are a little on the steep side, make sure that you'll be able to pay of any loans that you will have accumulated. Also, visit the school in order to ensure that you will enjoy the college environment and be compatible with the surroundings. The college experience is very important to a student. It helps them develop life skills and make friendships that will last a lifetime. Parents may want their child to have the same college experience they had, but times have changed. And most importantly, students should be getting a well balanced education while they discover themselves and what the future holds for them.

The cost of the school is probably the worst thing about it. The tuition makes it difficult for many students to attend. I'm afraid of the loans I will have to pay off once I graduate from college.

Otterbein University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.