Westerville, OH

Otterbein University

« See more reviews of Otterbein University

My time at Otterbein has given me many experiences that have helped me to develop academically, professionally, and socially. Though some of Otterbein?s individualistic characteristics sometimes frustrated me, I still obtained a valuable experience and top college education while attending this small liberal arts institution. I was able to gain the professional knowledge and skills to be competitive in the current career market. Otterbein has helped me to create a diverse profile that sets me apart from the majority in my field of interest. Through the diversity and liberal arts opportunities that this college offers I am able to highlight on my community experiences, diversity appreciation, and real world understanding. However not every accomplishment that I have achieved can be attributed to Otterbein. To be successful at any institution the personal attributes of the individual students lead to the futures success of their efforts. I have taken the responsibility upon myself to be active in the various experiences that Otterbein provides while also applying myself to many opportunities outside the confines of Otterbein. Otterbein might have been the location and foundation for my success; however it is my personal perseverance and work ethic that has granted me such success.

Otterbein College, being a liberal arts school, offers a very well-rounded curriculum. Because of this, you will leave the college as a very well-educated adult. Otterbein also makes a conscious effort to prepare you for the "real world" in ways that other colleges overlook. If I could give a piece of advice, I would say do not hesitate to get involved on campus. Whether you join the Greek community or the Otterbein Christian Fellowship, or one of the innumerable other opportunities for campus engagement, it is unavoidable that long-lasting friendships will be made. Otterbein is well worth the money that it takes to attend school there, but do not wait to apply for scholarships. Financial difficulties can add stress to your already stressful college career (I know from personal experience). Otterbein has a beautiful home-town campus on which it is not difficult at all to feel at home, which makes for pleasant living and visiting (for you parents out there). It is gorgeous in all seasons, and the climate is very liveable. It isn't hard to have a good time at Otterbein, all you have to do is want it for yourself!

The most important thing to keep in mind when deciding on a college to attend, is personal comfort above all other priorities. Upon visiting a college you can judge on the tour whether or not it is right for you. If you feel uncomfortable with the college--whether they have an amazing curriculum or not--chances are you will not have a good experience if you applied. I chose Otterbein because of the feeling I got from reading the courses online, looking at campus photos, and hearing several alumni from my area tell me about their experience at the college. I never visited the campus, but there was another college I was looking into that I would never be able to visit before I applied as well. Ashland University and Dana College in Nebraska where my other top choices, but they did not give me the same feeling as Otterbein did. Emotion can easily get in the way with success. The best way to accommodate that is to choose a college that feels comfortable, and not overbearing. If you cannot do well in a stressful environment and that's the college you chose, you will be less likely to excel.

Parents usually have mixed feelings when it comes to their children and college. I know that my parents wanted to make sure that I went to the college that was right for me. For students, if you know what you want to do going into college, great for you. Selecting a college will be easier. For those who don't have it all figure out just yet, look for a school that offers classes that cover a wide variety of academics. Look for colleges that are in your price range. If they are a little on the steep side, make sure that you'll be able to pay of any loans that you will have accumulated. Also, visit the school in order to ensure that you will enjoy the college environment and be compatible with the surroundings. The college experience is very important to a student. It helps them develop life skills and make friendships that will last a lifetime. Parents may want their child to have the same college experience they had, but times have changed. And most importantly, students should be getting a well balanced education while they discover themselves and what the future holds for them.

After graduating high school I was very lost. I had no real direction and no sense of self. Continuing my education was something I did because that is what was expected of me. While in school I began taking courses in African American studies and Sociology while in these classes I began to learn. I began to learn from my classmates and hear their life experiences, I began to learn new concepts from professors and I began to step outside of my bubble and learn about the world around me. This exceeded all of my expectations on what college life would be like I figured it was filled with long boring lectures and meaningless friendships that held no value. I was absolutely wrong. By being in college I have been able to discover my true interests, I began to learn more about myself and what it is I want to do and achieve in life. I’ve become more of a knowledgeable person and more self aware. I’ve learned time management skills and the meaning of hard work and friendship. As I continue with my education I hope to learn more and share those experiences and values with others.

The best advice any student could recieve is to find what is the best overall fit by making a list of things in their life they would like to continue in college. Such as community service, sports, music, etc. This will really help to organize a list of schools. Different schools offer different activities find the ones that you are most interested in! After all you will be the one involved! Also, price should not determine whether the school is right for you. All schools give financial aid and any pricey school can be made affordable by the amount of work that is put into finding scholarships, grants and loans. The money is out there; it just has to be found and for many cities there are services that help- including high school guidence counselors. Other things to keep in mind -Don't go into this process alone, help is available for all the steps of college from visits to financial aid. Don't give up if it all seems overwelming, in the end it will be worth the process. College is a very rewarding and exciting time of life and everyone should experience it.

It's not too far of a stretch to talk to myself. It's something I do daily. Scary, I know -- but it's where some of us live after 8 kids and 9 grandkids. At least I have an attentive audience. I achieved high school senior status at the age of 45 after homeschooling my 8 children from birth through their own high school seniorhoods. I completed my journalism degree sitting next to them in Algebra and Creative Writing classes and was student speaker 2000. I got happy with my diploma, published a book on homeschooling and began editing a parenting magazine for my church. Ten years later I feel that I quit on myself too soon, and I should have kept the momentum going to get my Bachelor's. So listen up, Self. Here's my advice: "Look, Grandma: don't be intimidated by those whipper-snappers who think they have the world on a string. They have yet to experience the ups and downs that yo-yo affords. Life experience counts a good deal and it doesn't come cheap. You've paid your dues, and it's never too late for lifelong learning. Go for it!"

In my opinion, two-hundred words are not enough to describe the value of a good college experience, let alone the exponential benefits one recieves from attaining an education. I am a sophomore this year, attending a community college. However, I live on the campus of the large state university in our city, so I get the feeling of being in the university while saving money. My college experience has been fairly amazing so far. The independence and college town environment are exactly what I was looking for when I was coming out of my small-town high school. One of the best things about college is that you can take classes that you actually enjoy! No more boring math and U.S. history for me, which is amazing. Also, coming from such a small and relatively closed-minded community, being exposed to so many different types of people and ways of thinking is priceless. In conclusion, college has provided me with an open mind, friends, independence, and classes I am actually interested in. I am so happy I made the decision to continue my education.

Start the college search as soon as possible. Make sure that you visit a variety of campuses and make sure that the school of your choice has several of your favorite majors! Choose the school that you find the best even if it is expensive--there is a lot of financial aid out there, and it is very important to choose the right school for you. To make the best of your college experience, try new things. Don't put off socializing, but never miss class! You will make much better grades if you attend each class and you can have better relationships with your professors. Your professors could end up becoming your future coworkers in your career! Meet lots of new people, but remember the reason why you are at college. Make your academics the top priority, not just for good grades and scholarships, but because you are training for your future career. No one wants a C-average doctor--they only learned 70% of the required material! That is dangerous! Even if you are not becoming a doctor, you want to be the best at whatever it is that you will become!

I wondered how I would know which school was best. One person said, "You're going to go where you are most needed." Another said that I would go "where I was most wanted." And I believe both of those things happened. I started my research early. For me, finding schools that offered great degree programs inwhat I wanted to study was what was important to me. That's what led my research. From there I got a list of schools and applied. The college visits played a huge part in which college I picked. Actually seeing what a communter school was like dramatically changed what schools I would continue to look at. When I visited the school that I now currently attend, I had a feeling in my gut that this was the right school, that I'd be able to make a second home there. I went to the school where I was most wanted. I believe my college needed me to make it an even better school. I am fulfilled in college because I learn inside and outside the classroom. I have been getting the most out of college by using my talents to better the college.