Oxnard College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oxnard College

Joseph

Based on my experience, Oxnard College has been my second home. The professors, students, and staff have helped me grow as a college student; as an Art student I am able to experience a good foundation before I transfer to a four-year university. Oxnard College has definitely been a wonderful experience to kick start my college career. I’m glad to have attended this institution and I hope that future generations will benefit from Oxnard College.

Andy Rose

It's really nice and small for a community college campus which is great. The teachers and staff there can always be found outside of class with, pretty open office hours. If you are looking at going into the law field, the instructor that teaches it, Jerry Lulejian is amazing and his web classes are like no other. The professors are there for you and will personally help you in any way that they can.

Celeste

We get a bad reputation just because we are in a town run by and for people of color. There is so much to do if you actually want it. We have amazing professors and are very involved in the campus and community. When I started, I was apprehensive, but now that I've become involved, I don't refer to Oxnard College as "they", only as "we", because we are all in the game together to help each other succeed.

Victoria

This college has been a second home to me. My employment was discontinued and I didn't know where to go, after I spoke to my councilor they guided me to finish my AA and with that hopefully when I start looking for a job I will be able to make either the same or more. I am grateful for the financial and educational help I am getting from the people at OC.

andrea

The school has a great and friendly environment. Staff is always available for help.

Libby

Excellent school for behavioral science studies. The instructors all have worked in their fields or they are currently still working. By them having on hands knowledge, it keeps the student current with the field. Nothing is sugar coated which lets us know if we want to stay in it.

Carmen

Most people think that community college isn't full of opportunity or offer as good classes as a University but the professors here are friendly, great at teaching, and well accredited. I have enjoyed my experience here because the professors here are available most of the time for help and even if they are unable to provide help, the library has resources such as private or group tutoring, peer proofreading, and technical support available all throughout the year. It's a small campus but that makes navigating around easier. I like the variety of courses offered ranging from different subjects but I do think they should offer more Art, Psychology, and Anthropology courses and more variety for the local students that are searching for a bit out-of-normal careers.

Alondra

It can be a really good and fun school if you go out of your comfort zone and explore the different opportunities that they give you. For example the second week of school there is a club fair go out and explore maybe you like a club and can make new friends. There is also field trips for different classes like biology and geography field trips and the universities field trips. There are a lot of cool events at the PAC where you will listen to famous people talk about their adventures and you can also ask questions; as for cultural events the campus is full of those mostly is Hispanic/ Latino heritage like " El dia de los muertos", "Folklorico dance", " 5 de Mayo" etc; however, there are other cultural events like the LGBTQ+ community has many events and if you feel like you don't fit in (very unlikely) you can make your own club in which you get the support of everyone. Another reason to like Oxnard College is because of their library and its resources both floors are full of resources, but the bottom floor is more for studying and computers use while the top floor is more like to hang out while you do group projects or there are this couches where you can take a nap and nobody will judge you. There is a taco truck that comes to the school every day in case you don't like the cafeteria food which is really good or in case that the cafeteria is closed because it only opens during the mornings, but keep in mind there are afternoon classes. You will find all kinds of food every where there is the cafeteria, the food truck, the book store and nearby there is a Starbucks, Walgreens, panda express, etc where you can buy your food. I am going to be honest some teachers make their classes really fun others not so much; however if you keep up with the work you will get an A on that class for sure. Oxnard College has a lot of free resources like free scan trons on the library, free health consultations, sometimes even free food like when you are in finals they always have a food truck one time they brought in-n-out or if you are there during the mornings you get free ice cream. I recommend the counselors at the EOPS office if you get the change to join EOPS do it !!! don't let that opportunity go. Books can be very expensive check rate my professor.com so you can see if you actually need the books or not, because in most of my classes I didn't really need the books. Some classes are changing to book free environment where you don't have to buy the book you only need your Canvas account. The parking, the parking you have to pay two dollars daily or you can buy the 30 dollars pass for the whole semester; I recommend the pass because sometimes the machines don't work and they eat your money. Sometimes you will have trouble with the parking because there is more staff parking (even when there is only like 50 staff members) that there is students parking space. Sometimes when students don't have money to pay for the pass or they just want to save they usually park on the park right next to the parking lot because it is free or in the parking spots next to the PAC. Almost everyone is a good person and if you can't find your ticket or you have no money other students will help you out they will either give you the pass, "borrow" you money, or give you the parking spot. There is a child care center where you can leave your children; however, it is only open in the mornings. If you are scared of the dark or you just don't feel like walking to your car there are this cars that can take you all the way to where your car is parked. Overall Oxnard College is really fun, a lot of people say that it is not because you don't get to have the freshman college experience, but honestly I think it depends on you, if you want to have fun, serve your community, try different things Oxnard College is the right place to be. Good luck !!

Andres

I am a freshman at Oxnard College and so far I'm loving the friendly environment and really dedicated instructors. I have taken several classes and in each one I could and did talk with each classmate in or out of class, which took me by surprise since it was different to my high school experience. I've even made study groups for most of these classes as I have found that working with others students and sharing ideas helps remember and understand the material. The professors are so engaging in their lessons, they really like to keep the class participating and encourage getting your opinions and thoughts out. The teachers that I have taken, each one of them, could be easily reached and would come early to answer any questions or stay late to clarify any tough ideas. I would definitely recommend this college to anyone from recent high school graduates to people that had to work after high school as the students/staff is helpful and the professors are understanding that life happens.

Melissa

My experience at Oxnard College has been great from the start. The professors are passionate and really focus on helping you if you are struggling with the subject. The counselors are very helpful and lead you into the right direction when making your ed plan etc. They also have a student lounge available which is where I like to relax while I'm waiting for my next class if I have a long break in between. Overall, all the faculty in the student service building are helpful and I have never had any issues in the 3 years of my attending.

Campus is great, rooms are renovated. On- campus food is alright, made by students. Bookstore is pricey. Library is amazing. Professors really want you to pass, and have great lectures. The counseling is hard to get because of how busy they are, but they do great work.

jennifer

the food is better than high school food but you have to pay for parking.

Jasmine

Oxnard College is a very well organized college. The professors are nice, but they know their subject very well. It is a community college, a junior college, and there are a minimum amount of sports. The cafe is nice and they have great food at times. The library has a lot of resources that I use often, and there are laptops and computers students can use if needed. The bookstore is the only on-campus store, other than the library, but has everything you need to survive the school year. It is a small college, so every semester you make new friends, and the ones you made before are always around the corner, you never know who you can run into. The classes are bearable distances away and the parking lot is across the street from the first college building.

Alexandra

Oxnard college has a diverse student body, easy to find classes and solid instructors who are readily available for their students. You can find multiple vending machines with snacks and beverages as well as a bookstore that sells reasonably priced goods. If that does not appeal to you, there are various food and businesses within walking distance. A word of caution, parking can be horrendous during morning and evening classes so plan for those delays in advance. Overall Oxnard College is a great place to take courses and future your education.

GISSELLE

I think it is a really good college because there are many recources and all the teachers are always available and there to help you. They also try to help students putting signs about events for Financial Aid or transfer students or even free things like massages or food.

Maria

Students are very involved with becoming apart of the school. It’s a positive and peaceful community of students who want to learn and make it out successful.

Victoria

Oxnard is located in town, so it is near shopping centers. They are equipped with a gymnasium, cafeteria, student study center, and many things that a college needs. Students are local. To my knowledge, housing isn't provided. The campus has been expanding, but is still small enough for students to find their way around. It's a good school.

Brianna

I was very skeptical of Oxnard College, just because it is a community college, but I was wrong. Oxnard College proved to be a very well and clean campus. As I visited this past year, their campus has become one of the many beauties of the city of Oxnard. There are many extracurricular activities and many friendly staff and people. No trash on the floor what so ever! I feel positive energy every time I step onto campus.