Pace University-New York

« See more reviews of Pace University-New York

The professors at Pace truly enjoy their job. Not every professor is the greatest, but I have had no serious issues with any professor that I have had at Pace. I always find professors to truly engage with students, know them by name, and establish bonds that surpass the classroom. My favorite class at Pace was Performing Poetry with Erica Fabri. The class was unorthodox and introduced me to a branch of poetry that I had no knowledge of. I have always been interested in poetry, but I had not put thought into performance poetry before. I had to watch Def Jam on Youtube for homework and I found myself spending hours watching videos of artists performing poetry. It really sparked creativity and I never felt such close connections with my fellow classmates. It definitely opened me up to a lot of things. My least favorite class was Finite Mathematics. I did not enjoy this class because I do not think that it is wise to use PowerPoint to do mathematical equations. The professor did not explain clearly and he often made errors in his computations. Despite the fact that I am terrible at mathematics, I survived the class with a B+. I have never taken a class where there was not a heavy amount of student participation. Lectures do not engage students and are not beneficial for neither student nor professor. Students always voice opinions and are not afraid to ask questions when confused. Students definitely take their intellectual conversations outside the classroom. I have been part of deep, philosophical conversations even in the cafeteria over chicken Caesar wraps. Sometimes conversations in the classroom continue afterwards and sometimes conversations prior to class continue into class time. Students care about their studies and there are many truly intellectual students at Pace. The Psychology department at Pace is wonderful. I have gone to professors for advice even when I have never taken a class with them. There are many different, interesting classes to take for my major and I have never had a Psychology professor that I have anything bad to say about. What I like most about professors in the Psychology department is that they do not just teach psychology, but are active in the field. I feel that the school's academic requirements are very good. Students are required to take classes outside their major that may inspire new interests and will open them up to a variety of areas of knowledge. It is because of how Pace does its requirements that I have found new interests and took a minor in art. The education at Pace in terms of classes is more geared for learning, but the university as a whole provides many opportunities for gaining internships and employment.

One of my favorite aspects of Pace University is the wide range of courses that are available. Even after you have declared a major, and you have a core curriculum you need to fulfill, you still are given many opportunities through electives, to take any course that interests you. I am a Communications major with a journalism minor, and since I am also an honors student, I have many honors classes made available to me. Through these courses, I have discovered that I am very interested in religion. I took a course last year on the Old Testament, and I took another religion course this year. Now sometimes I find myself reading the Bible for leisure, something I thought I would never do in a million years. Pace makes it possible for its students to follow any path they might take interest in, whether it is their major or not. Another aspect of the academic system here at Pace that really attracts students is the small student to teacher ratio. I would say the average amount of students in my classes is probably 20. Because of this, students actually get to know their teachers, and vice versa. Even before or after class, professors are available to help their students one on one during their office hours. Each student is encouraged to participate in the classroom, creating a competitive, but comfortable atmosphere. Pace's location, being right outside NYC, was a huge factor in why I, along with most students I know, chose to come here. I receive emails from my professors daily describing a new internship or job offer in the city. And most of the professors have connections with these people, making the whole process easy! Teachers at Pace are really great at recommending their students for internships and jobs after they graduate. Pace has one of the highest rates of students getting jobs right after graduation in the whole country, and it's location along with it's well-connected professors definitely has a lot to do with that.

Professors definitely know my name. The classes are just the right size; usually they’re never over thirty students so is easier for the teachers to remember everyone’s names and how everyone is doing in class. My favorite class ever was Law 101; I took it when I was a freshman as one of my open electives. The teacher was the funniest man I’ve ever met and also very knowledgeable. Taught by the wrong person this class would have been the most boring class ever, but because of the teacher I actually enjoyed attending class, even though it met at 8:30 in the morning. My least favorite class was Psychology 111, at first I thought Psychology might be interesting for me but it turned out not to be, all the technical terms...it was just not my thing. I personally don’t know anyone who studies all the time but it always depends on how much work the teacher assigns, everyone usually studies more towards midterms and finals of course. The amount of class participation depends on the class but there are always a couple of students that participate all the time in each class. The most unique class I’ve ever taken is definitely History of Witches and Wizards. Honestly, this class wasn’t one of my choices, I had to take it because I needed a History class and all the other ones were full, but luckily it turned out to be very interesting. I’ve recently declared my major to Communications, I’ve taken a few media classes so far and I’ve loved them, especially Writing in the Electronic Media or Broadcast Writing. My advisor also made it very easy for me to know what classes to take and how to make my schedule. I would say the education at Pace is definitely geared towards getting a job, in class the teachers always remind you things like “When you guys are out there, this is what you’ll do” and the school has also Career Services which is a very helpful department in everything that is getting internships and possible jobs.

I am a communications major, political science minor at Pace. I have had many good experiences with my professors and courses and have been able to mantain a 3.8 GPA. The communications professors all have experience in the field, and have valuable connections to people currently working. The professors I have had, have all had some type of investment in my future and have been more then willing to help me out or meet up with me after class. Also, Pace's requirements for a minor are really do-able. I was able to get a minor in political science in two years by taking 5 related courses. The more minors you can get the better because it shows a future employer that you are a hard worker and very committed. One complaint that many Pace students have is called an Area of Knowledge 1 course. these types of courses require civic engagement, and a lot more work than the typical core requirement class. However some students who have taken these classes enjoyed the break from the typical lecture-type class. As far as competitiveness goes, my classes have been moderately competitive. Mostly students are competing for the spotlight, attention of the professor, and competing to have their opinions heard and listened to. In the communications department a majority of the classes are very hands on, and we are able to use actual equipment that we would use in the field after graduation. My classes, paired with my internship experience has really prepared me to go out into the field.

Academics are rigorous, but the classes are so interesting and exciting that it doesn't seem daunting or stressful. My professors know my name, as the average class size is about 18 students. It is great to have a professor actually care about how you are doing in class, and to be there when you need help, not only for your time in school, but for your time after you graduate as well. From my personal experience, being able to be close with professors gives you such a great learning opportunity, and also gives you the ability to ask for a recommendation, one that will actually be true and personal, from a professor. My favorite class is Industry Theory and Practice, MCA 601 with Dr. Pulaski-Behling. We have done projects on the social media and business networking site, LinkedIn, as well as done projects about cultures from all over the world and how they handle business negotiations. I would definitely say that the education at this school is geared towards getting a job. Coming form my undergraduate school who did not do this, I am extremely grateful and impressed with this school's academic programs. I am learning things that are so practical and useful for when I graduate. Examples include: writing effective business memos and cover letters, analyzing and comparing companies and their marketing strategies and statistics, as well as learning how to speak effectively, cohesively, and comfortably when in a business setting, and across cultures.

Based on my experience all of my professors know my name and make sure that they get to know everyone in the class. Students study depending on the curriculum of the class and their own knowledge of the subject material. Class participation is pretty common and students have intellectual conversations outside of class with their group of friends. Students are not usually competitive at least not what I have seen in Dyson College of Arts & Sciences. The most unique class I've ever taken is a philosophy class entitled, Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and we just studied The Critique of Pure Reason as our primary text and applied it to everyday situations in contemporary society. The Philosophy & Religious Studies Department provides a wide variety of opportunities in academia, law, nonprofit, etc. It's a pretty close knit department in which students feel included and the professors are easily accessible and they'll talk to you both in and outside of the classroom. Pace's academic requirements are pretty flexible. They require students to have a liberal arts education in which they can be well rounded which makes them get the most out of their degree. The education at this school is geared towards learning for the sake of learning and getting a job. Most of the curriculum are academic facts but they apply to real world situations that students will utilize in the future.

Another positive about a smaller campus is that the professors really do know your name. This semester I only took classes that meet once a week and all of my professors had my name down the first time we met. My major is Communications and my department Dyson College of Arts and Sciences is one of the largest and there is still no question of identity. Classes are usually not very structured and the class size is normally not over 25 (unless it is a nursing class). The conversation topics are always more interesting because of the student conversations/debates. I have had many circumstances where the debates would spill over into the hallways after. I have a very close relationship with my advisor and professors in the Communications department. I feel as though many of my peers have the same experience as well with at least one of their instructors. The needs of the students are always taken care of especially in the task of a career versus a job after graduation.

Academics are great at Pace! The class sizes are between 10-30 students for most classes and even in lecture halls, the professors try their best to interact with all their students. Professors definitely know their students names and are concerned whether their students are doing well or not. In class participation is very common; I believe this is because professors are apt at creating a comfortable environment for their students to participate. It even gets competitive for participation. I am a political science major with a minor in economics. My major allows me to study various topics such as African politics or 21st century philosophy. The most interesting class I have taken is Hip Hop politics. In addiction we have 5 areas of study to fulfill such as, art, history, community service, and science. I believe the academic requirements are fair and well rounded. Education at Pace is definitely geared towards finding a future career path.

Because Pace is a smaller school, the professors usually know most students. And for most majors you usually take the same professor more than once - which could be a good thing or a bad thing. I like that I can take the same professor more than once because I like the familiarity, I know what to expect and so do they. The library usually isn't busy until finals week, but most students do well in their classes. The work doesn't seem to be too much but its not always a walk through the park either. As for class discussions, almost every professor I've had encourages it. Its great because most professors have interesting stories when it comes to specific majors so its always great to get their actual opinion on a real life experience rather than something out of a textbook. And I've had a lot of professors who have tried to help me get internships or jobs, which is great because they usually know a lot of people.

Pace has amazing professors who know other professionals in their field. Whn you combine that with our small classrooms, you really get to know all the professors on an individual basis, which is great networking when you want an internship or need a job. My freshman year, my counselor signed me up for an intro Latin American Studies class. I had two professors in this class who taught together, both of which I came to know very well. From there, my professor wrote me a reccommendation for a scholarship (which I recieved) and later for his next class (LAS 201) he set me up with an internship at The Consulate of Venezuela through a friend of his which was the Consul General. This shows how amazing our professors are and how truly dedicated and involved they are in their students' lives. Pace is definitley geared toward getting the students careers after graduation,