Pace University-New York Top Questions

Nikki

The academics at Pace get a mixed review. When it comes to the professors its a hit or miss. The honors college and Lubin are known for their very good professors. The great thing about Pace is some of the unique classes like Urban Planning, New York architecture, and broadway shows.

Maureen

The professors at Pace truly enjoy their job. Not every professor is the greatest, but I have had no serious issues with any professor that I have had at Pace. I always find professors to truly engage with students, know them by name, and establish bonds that surpass the classroom. My favorite class at Pace was Performing Poetry with Erica Fabri. The class was unorthodox and introduced me to a branch of poetry that I had no knowledge of. I have always been interested in poetry, but I had not put thought into performance poetry before. I had to watch Def Jam on Youtube for homework and I found myself spending hours watching videos of artists performing poetry. It really sparked creativity and I never felt such close connections with my fellow classmates. It definitely opened me up to a lot of things. My least favorite class was Finite Mathematics. I did not enjoy this class because I do not think that it is wise to use PowerPoint to do mathematical equations. The professor did not explain clearly and he often made errors in his computations. Despite the fact that I am terrible at mathematics, I survived the class with a B+. I have never taken a class where there was not a heavy amount of student participation. Lectures do not engage students and are not beneficial for neither student nor professor. Students always voice opinions and are not afraid to ask questions when confused. Students definitely take their intellectual conversations outside the classroom. I have been part of deep, philosophical conversations even in the cafeteria over chicken Caesar wraps. Sometimes conversations in the classroom continue afterwards and sometimes conversations prior to class continue into class time. Students care about their studies and there are many truly intellectual students at Pace. The Psychology department at Pace is wonderful. I have gone to professors for advice even when I have never taken a class with them. There are many different, interesting classes to take for my major and I have never had a Psychology professor that I have anything bad to say about. What I like most about professors in the Psychology department is that they do not just teach psychology, but are active in the field. I feel that the school's academic requirements are very good. Students are required to take classes outside their major that may inspire new interests and will open them up to a variety of areas of knowledge. It is because of how Pace does its requirements that I have found new interests and took a minor in art. The education at Pace in terms of classes is more geared for learning, but the university as a whole provides many opportunities for gaining internships and employment.

Monique

The education at this school is both geared toward getting a job and a learning experience for you. The university offers a lot of work-study and on campus jobs in the field you want to work in. As well as internships in the local area or in the Big Apple. If you are interested in a internship in media, they have internships in television networks, and/or radio productions. Interested in medical, they have internships where you can audit a procedure in a local hospital or in the university infirmary with real licensed nurses. The best part is if you do a great job at that internship, you can even get a job offer right after you graduate, and Pace paved that way for you.

Monique

Monique

Academics is the foundation of the school. The professors here are really here to push you to be the best you can be and excel in their class as well as in college in general. I have six professors and they all know me by name. The classes are of a 20:1 ratio, allowing the professor to get to know every individual in the class. The education at this school is both geared toward getting a job and a learning experience for you. The university offers a lot of work-study and on campus jobs in the field you want to work in. As well as internships in the local area or in the Big Apple. If you are interested in a internship in media, they have internships in television networks, and/or radio productions. Interested in medical, they have internships where you can audit a procedure in a local hospital or in the university infirmary with real licensed nurses. The best part is if you do a great job at that internship, you can even get a job offer right after you graduate, and Pace paved that way for you.

Monique

Academics is the foundation of the school. The professors here are really here to push you to be the best you can be and excel in their class as well as in college in general. I have six professors and they all know me by name. The classes are of a 20:1 ratio, allowing the professor to get to know every individual in the class. My favorite class would have to be English. I love to write and I can really express myself through my writing and seeing my hard work being paid off with a grade of an A makes me feel extraordinary. My least favorite class is and always has been math,and college made me dislike it more. Although math is not my favorite subject, the professor at times made it likable. The education at this school is both geared toward getting a job and a learning experience for you. The university offers a lot of work-study and on campus jobs in the field you want to work in. As well as internships in the local area or in the Big Apple. If you are interested in a internship in media, they have internships in television networks, and/or radio productions. Interested in medical, they have internships where you can audit a procedure in a local hospital or in the university infirmary with real licensed nurses. The best part is if you do a great job at that internship, you can even get a job offer right after you graduate, and Pace paved that way for you.

Monique

Francis

Academics are great at Pace! The class sizes are between 10-30 students for most classes and even in lecture halls, the professors try their best to interact with all their students. Professors definitely know their students names and are concerned whether their students are doing well or not. In class participation is very common; I believe this is because professors are apt at creating a comfortable environment for their students to participate. It even gets competitive for participation. I am a political science major with a minor in economics. My major allows me to study various topics such as African politics or 21st century philosophy. The most interesting class I have taken is Hip Hop politics. In addiction we have 5 areas of study to fulfill such as, art, history, community service, and science. I believe the academic requirements are fair and well rounded. Education at Pace is definitely geared towards finding a future career path.

Aramis

I have met some of the most amazing professors at Pace. During my studies in the Media and Communication Arts program, I have been able to work with business professionals ranging from public relations and event planning to writers at the New York Times to directors of non-profit organizations. I learned so much within my first year that I have been able to make a complete career change with little training needed. Most of the professors I have had, have been open to keeping touch with the students and helping us outside of the class. They have even put us in touch with their own personal connections by bringing in guest speakers, taking us on tour, and having us do hands-on work with actual companies. The professors have been the best part of Pace to me. Ultimately, they mean the most to the students advancement, and I would be lying if I said they haven't helped me grow personally.

Frances

Professors definitely know my name. The classes are just the right size; usually they’re never over thirty students so is easier for the teachers to remember everyone’s names and how everyone is doing in class. My favorite class ever was Law 101; I took it when I was a freshman as one of my open electives. The teacher was the funniest man I’ve ever met and also very knowledgeable. Taught by the wrong person this class would have been the most boring class ever, but because of the teacher I actually enjoyed attending class, even though it met at 8:30 in the morning. My least favorite class was Psychology 111, at first I thought Psychology might be interesting for me but it turned out not to be, all the technical terms...it was just not my thing. I personally don’t know anyone who studies all the time but it always depends on how much work the teacher assigns, everyone usually studies more towards midterms and finals of course. The amount of class participation depends on the class but there are always a couple of students that participate all the time in each class. The most unique class I’ve ever taken is definitely History of Witches and Wizards. Honestly, this class wasn’t one of my choices, I had to take it because I needed a History class and all the other ones were full, but luckily it turned out to be very interesting. I’ve recently declared my major to Communications, I’ve taken a few media classes so far and I’ve loved them, especially Writing in the Electronic Media or Broadcast Writing. My advisor also made it very easy for me to know what classes to take and how to make my schedule. I would say the education at Pace is definitely geared towards getting a job, in class the teachers always remind you things like “When you guys are out there, this is what you’ll do” and the school has also Career Services which is a very helpful department in everything that is getting internships and possible jobs.

Another positive about a smaller campus is that the professors really do know your name. This semester I only took classes that meet once a week and all of my professors had my name down the first time we met. My major is Communications and my department Dyson College of Arts and Sciences is one of the largest and there is still no question of identity. Classes are usually not very structured and the class size is normally not over 25 (unless it is a nursing class). The conversation topics are always more interesting because of the student conversations/debates. I have had many circumstances where the debates would spill over into the hallways after. I have a very close relationship with my advisor and professors in the Communications department. I feel as though many of my peers have the same experience as well with at least one of their instructors. The needs of the students are always taken care of especially in the task of a career versus a job after graduation.

Frances

Frances

Frances

Professors definitely know my name. The classes are just the right size; usually they’re never over 30 students so is easier for the teachers to remember everyone’s names and how everyone is doing in class. My favorite class ever was Law 101; I took it when I was a freshman as one of my open electives. The teacher was the funniest man I’ve ever met and also very knowledgeable. Taught by the wrong person this class would have been the most boring class ever, but because of the teacher I actually enjoyed attending class, even though it met at 8:30 in the morning. My least favorite class was Psychology 111, at first I thought Psychology might be interesting for me but it turned out not to be, all the technical terms...it was just not my thing. I personally don’t know anyone who studies all the time but it always depends on how much work the teacher assigns, everyone usually studies more towards midterms and finals of course. The amount of class participation depends on the class but there are always a couple of students that participate all the time in each class. The most unique class I’ve ever taken is definitely History of Witches and Wizards. Honestly, this class wasn’t one of my choices, I had to take it because I needed a History class and all the other ones were full, but luckily it turned out to be very interesting. I’ve recently declared my major to Communications, I’ve taken a few media classes so far and I’ve loved them, especially Writing in the Electronic Media or Broadcast Writing. My advisor also made it very easy for me to know what classes to take and how to make my schedule. I would say the education at Pace is definitely geared towards getting a job, in class the teachers always remind you things like “When you guys are out there, this is what you’ll do” and the school has also Career Services which is a very helpful department in everything that is getting internships and possible jobs.

Carly

Academics are rigorous, but the classes are so interesting and exciting that it doesn't seem daunting or stressful. My professors know my name, as the average class size is about 18 students. It is great to have a professor actually care about how you are doing in class, and to be there when you need help, not only for your time in school, but for your time after you graduate as well. From my personal experience, being able to be close with professors gives you such a great learning opportunity, and also gives you the ability to ask for a recommendation, one that will actually be true and personal, from a professor. My favorite class is Industry Theory and Practice, MCA 601 with Dr. Pulaski-Behling. We have done projects on the social media and business networking site, LinkedIn, as well as done projects about cultures from all over the world and how they handle business negotiations. I would definitely say that the education at this school is geared towards getting a job. Coming form my undergraduate school who did not do this, I am extremely grateful and impressed with this school's academic programs. I am learning things that are so practical and useful for when I graduate. Examples include: writing effective business memos and cover letters, analyzing and comparing companies and their marketing strategies and statistics, as well as learning how to speak effectively, cohesively, and comfortably when in a business setting, and across cultures.

The class sizes are small. Classes could range from 8 students to 30. I believe smaller classes make the experience so much better. Different professors perform differently, but I know about my major in particular to be one of the fastest growing majors on campus and I believe a lot of it has to do with our phenomenal professors of the Communications Department. All of our professors have real world experience in the courses of which they teach. A former Fox News Anchor teaches courses on writing copy for broadcast news and on "the art of anchoring." Our film courses are taught by professors who have worked in film in the past, or still stay connected to the film industry even today. Our production courses are taught by professors who have worked in every stage of production--pre, pro, and post. It's just a great environment to learn hands on work.

Monique

Academics is the foundation of the school. The professors here are really here to push you to be the best you can be and excel in their class as well as in college in general. I have six professors and they all know me by name. The classes are of a 20:1 ratio, allowing the professor to get to know every individual in the class. My favorite class would have to be English. I love to write and I can really express myself through my writing and seeing my hard work being paid off with a grade of an A makes me feel extraordinary. My least favorite class is and always has been math,and college made me dislike it more. Although math is not my favorite subject, the professor at times made it likable. Depending on your study habits or your major will determine how often you study. For Nursing majors or any Science major, you will practically live in the library. You will be studying 24/7. It is tough but from what I hear is very rewarding. Class participation is common in majority of your classes. Not to make you participate, but also so the professor knows what you understand about the subject and also wants to hear your perspective during discussion. Outside of class you can see some students in the library, cafeteria and even on a small patch of grass on campus discussing about class. Sometimes even professors are involved with the discussion too. Students strive to excel in classes. If they have to get a certain grade they are focused and determined. So if the question is are the students here I will say they're not competitive, but very determined. The most unique class I've taken is Computer Science, because I was always into technology and computers, and the class at first was difficult to me due to having to remember all these different codes, but after I got over that bump I loved it. I am an English major so I am bias to making English my favorite subject. In fact I am a dual-major. I am majoring in English and Communications. I was at first just an English major but the Communications program attracted me, and studying a major that I can still work with English with the addition of the Communications program is having the best of both worlds to me. Outside of class, I constantly email my professors about my academic standing in class, if I have questions on an assignment or to schedule a office meeting. They are very responsive and on a regular they will respond to you within that same day. The core requirements of the university is not difficult at all. It allows you to explore different subjects as well as working toward the core requirements and/or your major. Also they don't make it an requirement to come into college with a definite major. You can explore different subjects up until your spring semester of sophomore year. The education at this school is both geared toward getting a job and a learning experience for you. The university offers a lot of work-study and on campus jobs in the field you want to work in. As well as internships in the local area or in the Big Apple. If you are interested in a internship in media, they have internships in television networks, and/or radio productions. Interested in medical, they have internships where you can audit a procedure in a local hospital or in the university infirmary with real licensed nurses. The best part is if you do a great job at that internship, you can even get a job offer right after you graduate, and Pace paved that way for you.

One of my favorite aspects of Pace University is the wide range of courses that are available. Even after you have declared a major, and you have a core curriculum you need to fulfill, you still are given many opportunities through electives, to take any course that interests you. I am a Communications major with a journalism minor, and since I am also an honors student, I have many honors classes made available to me. Through these courses, I have discovered that I am very interested in religion. I took a course last year on the Old Testament, and I took another religion course this year. Now sometimes I find myself reading the Bible for leisure, something I thought I would never do in a million years. Pace makes it possible for its students to follow any path they might take interest in, whether it is their major or not. Another aspect of the academic system here at Pace that really attracts students is the small student to teacher ratio. I would say the average amount of students in my classes is probably 20. Because of this, students actually get to know their teachers, and vice versa. Even before or after class, professors are available to help their students one on one during their office hours. Each student is encouraged to participate in the classroom, creating a competitive, but comfortable atmosphere. Pace's location, being right outside NYC, was a huge factor in why I, along with most students I know, chose to come here. I receive emails from my professors daily describing a new internship or job offer in the city. And most of the professors have connections with these people, making the whole process easy! Teachers at Pace are really great at recommending their students for internships and jobs after they graduate. Pace has one of the highest rates of students getting jobs right after graduation in the whole country, and it's location along with it's well-connected professors definitely has a lot to do with that.

Because Pace is a smaller school, the professors usually know most students. And for most majors you usually take the same professor more than once - which could be a good thing or a bad thing. I like that I can take the same professor more than once because I like the familiarity, I know what to expect and so do they. The library usually isn't busy until finals week, but most students do well in their classes. The work doesn't seem to be too much but its not always a walk through the park either. As for class discussions, almost every professor I've had encourages it. Its great because most professors have interesting stories when it comes to specific majors so its always great to get their actual opinion on a real life experience rather than something out of a textbook. And I've had a lot of professors who have tried to help me get internships or jobs, which is great because they usually know a lot of people.

Classes are kept small which makes for prime individual attention. Opportunities are always being offered to students as well for internships and jobs after graduation.

Ivonna

Based on my experience all of my professors know my name and make sure that they get to know everyone in the class. Students study depending on the curriculum of the class and their own knowledge of the subject material. Class participation is pretty common and students have intellectual conversations outside of class with their group of friends. Students are not usually competitive at least not what I have seen in Dyson College of Arts & Sciences. The most unique class I've ever taken is a philosophy class entitled, Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and we just studied The Critique of Pure Reason as our primary text and applied it to everyday situations in contemporary society. The Philosophy & Religious Studies Department provides a wide variety of opportunities in academia, law, nonprofit, etc. It's a pretty close knit department in which students feel included and the professors are easily accessible and they'll talk to you both in and outside of the classroom. Pace's academic requirements are pretty flexible. They require students to have a liberal arts education in which they can be well rounded which makes them get the most out of their degree. The education at this school is geared towards learning for the sake of learning and getting a job. Most of the curriculum are academic facts but they apply to real world situations that students will utilize in the future.

Rose

The academic programs at Pace are great. We have a diverse number classes in psychology, business, environmental science, media communication arts and many others. The professors are very personal and get to know each of their students. Classroom sizes are small which helps the student to get more one on one attention.

Colby

I am a communications major, political science minor at Pace. I have had many good experiences with my professors and courses and have been able to mantain a 3.8 GPA. The communications professors all have experience in the field, and have valuable connections to people currently working. The professors I have had, have all had some type of investment in my future and have been more then willing to help me out or meet up with me after class. Also, Pace's requirements for a minor are really do-able. I was able to get a minor in political science in two years by taking 5 related courses. The more minors you can get the better because it shows a future employer that you are a hard worker and very committed. One complaint that many Pace students have is called an Area of Knowledge 1 course. these types of courses require civic engagement, and a lot more work than the typical core requirement class. However some students who have taken these classes enjoyed the break from the typical lecture-type class. As far as competitiveness goes, my classes have been moderately competitive. Mostly students are competing for the spotlight, attention of the professor, and competing to have their opinions heard and listened to. In the communications department a majority of the classes are very hands on, and we are able to use actual equipment that we would use in the field after graduation. My classes, paired with my internship experience has really prepared me to go out into the field.

Craig

The academics at Pace are incredibly strong for a school of this size. In fact, I attended a smaller school prior to Pace and had larger class sizes. I haven't taken a class at Pace with over 30 students. Academic scheduling is pretty good at ensuring that there's a wide range of class choice each semester so that students aren't locked out when registration comes around. Like with any school, the professor's level of personal involvement varies from class to class. I've had professors that have memorized my names within a week and have become mentors to me. I've also had professors who completely disconnect themselves from students. Fortunately, most professors are examples of the former.

Hilda

I really appreciate the professors at Pace because a majority of them a working professionals within their field. I feel I am not just handed a textbook to read cover-to-cover but rather given real world knowledge and experience from insiders of the industry.

My professors all know my name since each class has no more than thirty people, usually (sometimes not even close to that). The library is always abuzz with people but there are also other places to study on campus, like the Willcox computer lab. I'm a Communications major and there are so many internship opportunities it's not even funny. That said, it's a huge school for nursing, business, accounting and finance. The core classes are useful and the AOKs (Area of Knowledge classes) are an interesting additive--we have to take a class with a community service component, one with a history component, one with an art component, etc. My favorite class I've taken at Pace is either Writing for Print Media or a class I took on Chick Flicks. My least favorite have been Oceanography and British Literature because they were simply too much pointless work.

Sonya

I love my professors! Many stress understanding, not bland memorization. My professors care about my work and success... I major in marketing and finance. Most of my business professors are challenging but very knowledgeable and want students to gain as much as they can out of their classes. Pace professors want to know their students.

Pace has amazing professors who know other professionals in their field. Whn you combine that with our small classrooms, you really get to know all the professors on an individual basis, which is great networking when you want an internship or need a job. My freshman year, my counselor signed me up for an intro Latin American Studies class. I had two professors in this class who taught together, both of which I came to know very well. From there, my professor wrote me a reccommendation for a scholarship (which I recieved) and later for his next class (LAS 201) he set me up with an internship at The Consulate of Venezuela through a friend of his which was the Consul General. This shows how amazing our professors are and how truly dedicated and involved they are in their students' lives. Pace is definitley geared toward getting the students careers after graduation,

Professors are quite nice ( most of the time). My favorite class has been English and Math. My teachers have been understanding and respectful. Intellectual conversations outside of the classroom are quite rare. I know a few people that try but like I said, most of the students are concerned about where their going on a Friday night. Yes, students are very competitive ( especially the women). It's funny, no one wants to do the hard work, and no one wants to see someone else who is becoming a success. It's quite sick but if you know where you stand and refuse to follow anyone you'll make it. Their internships work out pretty well and many students get jobs before they even graduate. The education at Pace is geared toward getting a job. I tend to talk to professors every here and there through e-mail. they tend to respond quickly. I've also seen students try to cheat in class. Many students want to be successful but no one wants to do the work to get them there. The mentality of the students is quite crooked. If someone knows that your a serious student, they will either try to compete with you or use you for your answers. Make sure you know how to tell people to back off.