Pace University-New York

« See more reviews of Pace University-New York

My professors all know my name since each class has no more than thirty people, usually (sometimes not even close to that). The library is always abuzz with people but there are also other places to study on campus, like the Willcox computer lab. I'm a Communications major and there are so many internship opportunities it's not even funny. That said, it's a huge school for nursing, business, accounting and finance. The core classes are useful and the AOKs (Area of Knowledge classes) are an interesting additive--we have to take a class with a community service component, one with a history component, one with an art component, etc. My favorite class I've taken at Pace is either Writing for Print Media or a class I took on Chick Flicks. My least favorite have been Oceanography and British Literature because they were simply too much pointless work.

The class sizes are small. Classes could range from 8 students to 30. I believe smaller classes make the experience so much better. Different professors perform differently, but I know about my major in particular to be one of the fastest growing majors on campus and I believe a lot of it has to do with our phenomenal professors of the Communications Department. All of our professors have real world experience in the courses of which they teach. A former Fox News Anchor teaches courses on writing copy for broadcast news and on "the art of anchoring." Our film courses are taught by professors who have worked in film in the past, or still stay connected to the film industry even today. Our production courses are taught by professors who have worked in every stage of production--pre, pro, and post. It's just a great environment to learn hands on work.

The academics at Pace are incredibly strong for a school of this size. In fact, I attended a smaller school prior to Pace and had larger class sizes. I haven't taken a class at Pace with over 30 students. Academic scheduling is pretty good at ensuring that there's a wide range of class choice each semester so that students aren't locked out when registration comes around. Like with any school, the professor's level of personal involvement varies from class to class. I've had professors that have memorized my names within a week and have become mentors to me. I've also had professors who completely disconnect themselves from students. Fortunately, most professors are examples of the former.

The education at this school is both geared toward getting a job and a learning experience for you. The university offers a lot of work-study and on campus jobs in the field you want to work in. As well as internships in the local area or in the Big Apple. If you are interested in a internship in media, they have internships in television networks, and/or radio productions. Interested in medical, they have internships where you can audit a procedure in a local hospital or in the university infirmary with real licensed nurses. The best part is if you do a great job at that internship, you can even get a job offer right after you graduate, and Pace paved that way for you.

I love my professors! Many stress understanding, not bland memorization. My professors care about my work and success... I major in marketing and finance. Most of my business professors are challenging but very knowledgeable and want students to gain as much as they can out of their classes. Pace professors want to know their students.

The academic programs at Pace are great. We have a diverse number classes in psychology, business, environmental science, media communication arts and many others. The professors are very personal and get to know each of their students. Classroom sizes are small which helps the student to get more one on one attention.

The academics at Pace get a mixed review. When it comes to the professors its a hit or miss. The honors college and Lubin are known for their very good professors. The great thing about Pace is some of the unique classes like Urban Planning, New York architecture, and broadway shows.

I really appreciate the professors at Pace because a majority of them a working professionals within their field. I feel I am not just handed a textbook to read cover-to-cover but rather given real world knowledge and experience from insiders of the industry.

Classes are kept small which makes for prime individual attention. Opportunities are always being offered to students as well for internships and jobs after graduation.

Professors are quite nice ( most of the time). My favorite class has been English and Math. My teachers have been understanding and respectful. Intellectual conversations outside of the classroom are quite rare. I know a few people that try but like I said, most of the students are concerned about where their going on a Friday night. Yes, students are very competitive ( especially the women). It's funny, no one wants to do the hard work, and no one wants to see someone else who is becoming a success. It's quite sick but if you know where you stand and refuse to follow anyone you'll make it. Their internships work out pretty well and many students get jobs before they even graduate. The education at Pace is geared toward getting a job. I tend to talk to professors every here and there through e-mail. they tend to respond quickly. I've also seen students try to cheat in class. Many students want to be successful but no one wants to do the work to get them there. The mentality of the students is quite crooked. If someone knows that your a serious student, they will either try to compete with you or use you for your answers. Make sure you know how to tell people to back off.