Pace University-New York

« See more reviews of Pace University-New York

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

I would say that Pace University has all different stereotypes. From the faternity guys and sorority girls, to the jocks and just cliquey girls. At first glance, yes you would definitely see this. Once you actually spend about five minutes on campus, you will see that these stereotypes are false, and although students hang out in their certain groups of friends, everyone on campus is extremely friendly and helpful. From my personal experience, I have been pleasantly surprised from everyone I have encountered here at Pace. I have friends who were on the football team, in sororities, and some of the "hipsters." My first time on campus was before school even started. I was walking around and trying to get to know the campus, when a girl who just graduated from the Master's program I am in offered to give me a tour. She gave me all of her contact information, and from there, I knew that this was a great school to be in!

There are a lot of students who choose to participate in Greek life and they have a really big presence on campus.I believe because of this people believe Pace is a huge party school, that drinking during the week is a regular thing, but honestly it isn't that big of a deal here. I know people who drink at inappropriate times, they're called alcoholics and obviously no one should strive for that life style. Within Greek life though there are different types of people, and I honestly believe there is a group of friends for everyone here no matter what you choose to do. There are plenty of clubs to join, there is a community service organization, athletics, a radio station, student association, travel courses to take, a lounge for commuters, and various events offered throughout the semester.

Many people when looking at Pace will notice the high percentage of students that are commuters. While the number which is close to 50% may be high, it doesnt limit the number of new people you will meet on a daily basis. When I was applying to Pace I was nervous that the high number of commuters would take away from social life on the weekends and limit my opportunities for friends. This couldnt be more wrong, there is a great weekend social life at Pace! The students that dorm tend to be involved in athletics, Greek life, or other organizations on campus and are always sticking around to hang out on weekends. I'm a junior this year and I am still meeting new people when I am on campus!

I feel as though Pace University is such a close knit community that there will always be stereotypes. The different social groups are all typical; athletes, frats/sororities, druggies, socialites. However, the common thread of Pace does bring everyone together. In a time of great tragedy such as the one that occurred last year with the death of one of our beloved classmates,Pace came together and showed our unity. Although this tragedy was plastered all over the media and caused much controversy, we were still able to come together and still continue to fight for justice.

Pace students are fortunate to have a prestigious and admirable stereotype that I believe to be more than true, a stereotype of being hard workers. Pace students work very hard at trying to explore any opportunities that Pace has. Many students you encounter on a regular school day are either coming back from work or going to work. Many find internships or holiday jobs in order to gain all the experiences they need for a successful future. It is motivational and inspirational to be surrounded by a student body that is very ambitious.

A stereotype the Pace University- Westchester Campus has is that the student development activities is mainly Greek Life.The campus has an organization for everything. Such as: if you're interested in radio, Pace has their own radio show called WPAW that is streamed live on Ustream. We have culture, academic, and religious organizations also like Black Student Union (BSU), Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS), Students of Caribbean Awareness (SOCA), Student Nurses at Pace (SNAP) and much more.

The stereotype of students at my school is dependent on who's looking. The rich townspeople probably think we're all trouble making "hood rats" because we're not 1) all white and 2) all wealthy. Pace students go to Pace mostly because the financial aid is so good as far as private schools go, so there is a diverse community of students here. The image of Pace being diverse is definitely true, but I wouldn't call us a bunch of hood rats. Obviously, we're in college trying to create a better future.

Before attending Pace, I was told that it was filled with mostly Asians and business students. I would say that this is inaccurate because most students I meet are not business students and Pace University is very diverse. There is also said to be a high level of homosexuals that attend Pace, which I wouldn't necessarily categorize as accurate, but there is a high level of acceptance of homosexuality.

The one thing I love about Pace is that there aren't many stereotypes within the student body. It is a very small, unique campus derived with students from so many diverse cultures. The only stereotypes I've stood witness to within my three years at Pace are within Greek Life. Each sorority and fraternity has their own "cliche" which has remained the same year after year.

At Pace University, most people believe that you aren't considered "cool" unless you are in Greek Life or Athletics. I necessarily don't believe this stereotype because it means you fall under two categories. There are a number of students who aren't involved in either but still manage to have a good time on campus and are often friendly and know everyone else.