Pace University-New York

« See more reviews of Pace University-New York

My college experience is valuable because I finally feel that my life is fulfilling. In the past, I could not completely enjoy the present, but I knew my future experiences would be worthwhile. I now have many choices when it comes to my learning opportunities. My course choices are not based merely on curriculum requirements; I choose classes to learn about topics that I genuinely want to study. I love college because I am receiving a truly liberal arts education and I have ample opportunities to make a real contribution to my campus community. My extracurricular activities have added such richness to my experience. I am gaining life lessons that will become a part of defining who I am. My interactions with students and faculty have made me more confident. I may have completely rid myself of my shyness—something I have been struggling with during my high school years. I have been able to meet such wonderful people and build friendships that do not feel fake. What I am saying may sound typical, but it is genuine. These are aspects that I have always sought in my college dreams. I honestly, cannot image my life without this unique experience.

I would say these words to myself, Mayra you have one life to live and in some cases only one opportunity of each kind to encounter your life, take advantage of every knowledgable oppotunity that comes your way in this moment of freedom from children, from aging, and from guilt of waisted time in your life. I will make sure to remind myself every morning that I will choose to plant a grain or (a sacrifice) at a day, of what I expect in my future to be enjoying. Purposely wil I be thinking of ways of how I can eliminate any lazy feeling, destructible fun activities, bad influential friends, and negativeness from my behalf. At night I will meditate on what I acomplished each day and I will also be repeatedly saying to my self do not focus on where you are right now, but instead focus on where your going to be once you are done with you career. Mayra enjoy the journey, even in the rough moments; while you live imagening your dream of the most succesful profesional. LIFE IS WONDERFULLY REWARDING ALWAYS, WHEN WE WISELY MAKE THE RIGHT SACRIFICIAL DESITIONS AT THE RIGHT TIME. Sincerely: Consience.

On the unchartered waters of out-of-state education, my cell phone has been a mandatory part of my communication process with parents and friends, in order to obtain advice on situations that I had not anticipated. The most daunting challenge was acclimating to the two new roommates I encountered; somehow, one can never get an adequate assessment of a personality over Facebook. It is absolutely essential to meet with your potential roomates prior to your cohabitation. Only then can you get an authentic "feel" for how you will adapt. Another simple, but oft-forgotten practice, is placing your student I.D. in a readily accessible area of your wallet, as you will call upon it daily. Professors have after-hours time for consultation, and even if you have a handle on the classroom scenario, it is imperative that you make time to visit with them, as their information is sure to enlighten you and the rapport you will establish is crucial to getting a fabulous character reference. Also, toilet paper and water don't grow on trees (well, actually they do) and it behooves one to have an adequate supply. Above all, have a positive attitude.

The process of selecting a college perfect for you is much tougher than many think because of the many factors that come into play. A lot of young adults when they are applying to school think of the basic things and ask themselves the most general questions possible that ultimately decide their future. Are my parent's going to approve? How much financial aid will I get? ( if needed) And the biggest one of all being.. DID I GET IN? What most students don't realize is the necessity of all the little important factors. Will I fit in based on, sexual preference, appearance religion, gender, ethnic background, hobbies, social status, academic status, what are my surroundings, do I have family or friends nearby etc.? My advice to those parent's and student's looking into colleges/universities for the near future is to take your time in looking at every specific thing within the community at that college. To get the most out of your experience be open to everything. If you don't like something, thats okay, but try it. Never shut yourself out because you never know what possibilities may be lurking around the corner for you.

High School students who are positive that they will continue on to college can NEVER start too early in the search for the perfect College or University that suits them. Parents should encourage their children to get a head start, be prepared for SATs and the FAFSA, apply for every and any scholarship offered by their home state and high school, and do some soul searching as to what they want to do in life. With all this taken care of, the fun can begin. Students can search online or through high school magazines about any University that catches their attention. If a student is serious about a school, send a letter or contact their Office of Student Admissions, just to get your name down and make contact. Make a list and ask questions, whether it be about on campus housing or just about the food! Narrow down the school choices, and then make an effort, if possible, to visit each one in person. Attend information sessions at the schools that feel like the best fit, and attend preview weekends and orientation to become as familiar with campus as possible. REMEMBER: It is NEVER too soon to look at Colleges!

My college experience is very important to me. Without college I will not succeed in the goals that I have for myself. This is valuable on many levels, which gives me the motivation to go every day until I graduate. I want to earn my B.A in Applied Psychology and Human Relations with a minor in philosophy, that I am currently enrolled in now. My ambition to finish college is the unfortunate life experiences I have endured while growing up. My older sister committed suicide in college;however, while growing up she was my role model. Her illness and her demise made me evaluate my own life and successful alternatives. Finishing school for me is important, since my own sister didn't finish her own education. It is unfortunate that I lost my sister, and it is difficult for others to see how a tragic event could still encourage me positively. My college experience at Pace University is academically challenging and it stimulates my ability to think rationally and I enjoy this. This values my attendance because without me being there I will not be able to become the professional in the field of psychology.

My college experience has allowed me the opportunity to live on my own, study things I probably would not have on my own (such as the religious history of China) and to meet people whom I never would have otherwise (like Japanese speaking Ukrainians). To me, the experience is an allegory of life in the "real world". You have to meet and work with people from ever walk of life, success in which can make or break your grade; required classes makes one think outside the familiar or desired (a fact of life in general) and within one's preferred fields makes one delve deeper, getting a better knowledge outside of the less-than-enthralling. College also allows one to evaluate their life and make a more informed decision about what one wants to do. Required classes and networking force people to think heavily about what they want to do with their lives; one of the few times that this is permissible before they settle into a career and ensuing obligations. So far my college experience has taught me this and allowed to me to confidently look to my future and has reassured my aspirations.

If I could go back in time to give myself some advice about the transition into college and about college life, I would tell myself three things: First, I would tell myself to attend community college before an expensive university or private college. The classes are all the same, but at the community college they cost a lot less. Second bit of advance would be to not panic the first day of classes. Often the first day of class the professor will go over the syllabus and lay out the expectations for the course, which can be intimidating. I remember staring up a mountain of assignments and reports to be done at the beginning of the quarter, but by the end of the term I remember thinking, that wasn’t so bad. Last piece of advice I would give myself is to take care of your body outside of class. Make sure to eat right and exercise. It takes time to do that, but it will greatly help your focus and energy level. Go to a community college, stay calm and take care of your health are the three things I would tell myself in high school about college.

The things that I was nervous about going into college are the things that worked themselves out beautifully; the small circle of friends that's now my family, a random dorm assignment in my now-favorite neighborhood, the discovery of Trader Joe's and Forefront Church. It was the things I wasn't worried about, the things I could never prepare for, that hit me the hardest; how quickly friendships dissolve when there's great distance between them, how it feels to hear of your parents' impending divorce over the phone, a roommate who makes pasta at 2am in the bathtub (don't ask...). These bends in the road, these unexpected realities, were all the more poignant, crushing, hopeful, real because they were just that: unexpected. So if I were talking to myself as a high school senior, I wouldn't comfort or warn myself of these. No, I think I'd say to be still in moments of pure joy and drink them in. Don't try to prepare for every situation. Store up snapshots of bliss. Because when life disappoints you, hurts you, these provide more strength and hope than any preparation ever could.

My advice about college life is that it is very exciting. It introduces you to things you never knew existed. You see the world with different eyes. College opens your mind to new interests you didn't know you had. You have so many different courses to take that high school doesn't offer. The transition from high school to college was easy because in college you are treated like an adult. You don't the same restrictions you would have in high school. Many of my fellow students I meet come from different backgrounds and social status. Its fun to hang with them and exchange our thoughts and ideas. My strong advice is that college not only prepares you for your future. It also opens up options you wouldn't have unless you went to college. I as a student that resides on campus feel that is the best experience about college life. Living on campus will make you feel independant. You learn to live with strangers that have different interest and habits then you, but you learn to find the middle ground so you can enjoy each others company. College live is enriching and fun.