Pace University-New York

« See more reviews of Pace University-New York

Looking back in my senior year in High School , I would change the amount of money i spent in senior dues and prom. I would spend les money on that and prepare for the amount of money i need for books and fees that loans do not pay for. This would save me time and the stress I had as i began my freshman year in college. I would also aplply for more scholarships because I had a hard time taking out loans especaily last mintue. I was so close t not being able to go to school on time because i did not have all the money that was needed to move in. knowing all this now I would be on a better start for college, being the first in my house to go to college the process was very long and hard. I had to understand everything by myself then explain it to my mother after I understood the process applications etc. The college process was very hard and stressful knowing all of this i would plan out mu time better in senior year, spend money wisely and save money as well.

When I first applied to Pace University I didn't expect to get in. First piece of advice, although you might not believe you will get in, try anyways. Another thing is that financial aide is everywhere. If you do not have enough money to go to a certain school, do not let that stop you. Although I am getting financial aide, I will be graduating with 100 thousand to pay off in loans and in the end it's worth going to a great school instead of one that you go to because of money reasons. Also visit the college before you do decide to go. I got butterflies when I visited Pace and to this day I still feel at home. Although when I was a freshman I thought of transfering at one point in time, it is just very difficult to adapt to certain changes. Last but not least, dorm. I feel that college is a full experience and you need to go for the whole ride. Partying, clubs, organizations....all of this is part of the experience, live it up and enjoy.

Talk to the students that are currently enrolled in that particular insitutions. If you do not know what you want to do or what field you would like to concentrate on, do not panic. Speak to advisors before hand and if you can't decide, don't be ashamed to go to a two year college before you decide. Secondly, put your hard work in before college comes. Highschool is so important. Social interactions, team work, grades and confidence should be on the priority list while you are a highschool student. Universities want quality people, those who participate not because they have to but because they want to. Lastly, never set the bar too low. Search through all types of colleges: those that are financially risky, demanding of high academic achievements and other colleges that you are certain to get into. Don't hesitate to ask for help during the interviewing/application process. Be honest, confident and have fun!

Advice that I would give to parents of students who are attending college is not to pressure their children. Sit down and talk with them about what they want in a college and look for the best one. Support them in what they're looking for. Try not to make choices for them unless they are looking for help. Students, dont be scared! It's your time to be the grown up you always wanted to be. Yes, it is a major decision but its not written in stone. You may not pick the best college at first. That's why there is always the option of transferring. But if you do pick that right one, take every opportunity they give you! College is your time to experience life before you really get out there! There are tons of websites to help you pick the right university and feel free to ask a person with previous experience. Enjoy what life has to offer and remember college is just the first step to your future! =]

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have said to myself to take the challenge. As a senior in high school I opted out of advanced classes and extra classes that could have counted for a lot in college. If I knew then what I knew now I would tell myself to take those classes becuase the credit counts towards college and those classes would have prepared me for what college is like because they were college level courses. I would go back and tell myself stop being so lazy because no one in college is going to treat me like a baby and its not going to be like high school. This semester in college was a bit overwhelming because I was not prepared for the work load because I was lazy in high school. I took the easy way out senior and the one most important I would tell myself is go for the challenge but it counts and is beneficial to me in college.

The advice I would give to both parents and students about finding the right college is that they should do their research as soon as possible and visit the school to get a better feel of the school's environment. I know from personal experience I did not visit a school to get a feel of it and I ended up making a mistake of attending there, luckily I transferred to Pace where I am happy. I think that students should follow this advice so they can be happy in a school they feel comfortable and see themselves graduating. As for making the most of the college experience, I advice students to take advantage of the school provides. At the same time, students shouldn't waste their time on things they know will not benefit them in the future such as partying and using illegal drugs. Students should take advantage of what is in front of them and stay focuses on their academics.

The most important thing would be research, research, and research. The more you know about different colleges the most choices you have to choose from. I would tell students to apply to as many as you can also just in case some colleges don't accept you. But if you don't get the college of your choice, it's not the end of the world, you can always transfer to another college during the time you're in the college that you don't like. College experience is important because that is where you learn how to be indepedent. It is also a transition from being a kid to an adult. You learn so many things that you would probably carry on through life. So, take advantage of the college experience and don't mourn over the fact that you have a 10 page paper due the next morning. The 10 page paper will be gone in a day but the experience you aquire will be with you forever.

I would tell myself that the transition is really hard, and that it takes time but eventually I will get used to living away from home. I would also tell myself to try and talk to as many people as possible in the beginning of the semester so I can make a lot of friends. Everyone is going through the same transition as you are, they just may not show as many struggles as you. Freshman year is hard on everyone, but just know that you will get through it, and it's going to be the greatest four years of your life. Also, it is important to know that half the people you meet at the beginning of you freshman year you won't be friends with even halfway through the semeseter. It's important to put yourself out there, you have the chance to be whomever you want you want too be, no one knows you. College is the time to start over without any repercussions.

I would say take as much time as possible to find the right college for you. It is important that you find the right one that will supply all of your needs while still having surplus activities. Also, it is important that you can afford your school or get enough financial aid, because college can get extremely expensive and some schools are a lot more expensive than others. I would also say make sure the school has enough classes for your major, because that is more important. Students should be open-minded and be friendly to other students so they can make friends, because going to a new school is never easy for anyone. Activities and clubs are a great way to make friends. Talking to professors is also good, because they usually will help you with anything. Try to become close with one professor every semester. It can really help.

Since I couldn't afford every college, I would have look more closely at colleges to see if they fit me. A little thing I would do is look at the yea the college was founded. If you noticed the colleges that are founded early such as the 1800's, 1700's or even 1500's are more developed colleges because as the time change, ithelp the campus to grow in different ideas and programs to improve the campus for future classes to come. Later schools such as the 1900's are smaller and developing colleges. These colleges are still a little new and changes are happening and ideas are building now and it will take some time to grow. Also paying attention to when colleges send me information, if it takes a long time, or if its deliver on time. If its not delivered on time then most likely alot of other things wouldn't be as well.