Pace University-New York Top Questions

Gianna

I regret a few things now that I am almost done with college. More than anything else, I would tell myself to do a study abroad. It's what I regret the most not doing. I would tell myself not to be afraid and just do it because there's nothing quite like being in a different country and learning about and falling in love with its culture. It's a life changing experience and the best place and time to do it is when you are in college with nothing holding you down. I would also tell myself to be more open minded in terms of career choices. I've come to learn that, but in the beginning I did not know.

Shawn

I would tell myself to not overlook the statement of college being expensive. So the best bet is to do two years in a community college and than transfer to a 4year university. The first two years you don't really dive into your major anyway. I would also be sure to tell my senior self know what you want to do in college so you are not wasting your time and your money in college. I would also say be social, not in the aspect of trying to make the most friends but the phrase it is not what you know it is who you know is very important. So know who you have to know. Also learn everything you can, do not just memorize material to past the test, understand the concept to a point where you can teach, because knowledge is very important. Do no take your education for granted; some people would kill to be in your shoes. Also take your life a bit more serious, your still young but think about the future, but find a balance between having fun and building your future. Your choices at this point of your life are very crucial.

samantha

If I could go back in time and tell myself anything as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to remember that everyone is in the same boat and it's okay to try new things. Coming to college can be scary, but you must remember that everyone around you is scared. Don't be afraid to talk to the random kid in math class or knock on your neighbors door or join a club. Go out and meet new people, you never know who you will meet. It could be your future best friend or your soulmate. Everyone around you is in the same boat, and they are just as scared. It's okay to be yourself and to try things you would not normally do, because college is all about finding yourself and experiencing new things.

Ashlee

I'm not going to lie, I was a total wreck as a high school senior. I was constantly worrying- about being accepted to college, finding the money to actually attending college, and wondering if I was ready to leave and make my own life. Three months into college I can confidently tell you that moving to New York City and attending Pace University has been the best decison of my life and I have no regrets. If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell myself to RELAX. This time last year I was afraid to even apply to college, I had convinced myself I wasn't good enough. But now that I am here I realize I AM good enough and capable of anything, especially growing. I have learned that as long as I work my hardest and truly love what I'm doing, everything will work out. I don't think anyone is ever really ready for change, but without change we can never actually realize our strength, our talent, our passions or our dreams. So my high school self just has to breathe and dream.

Mirella

Ifi could go back and talk to myself, I would tell myself to be different; to be spontaneous. In college I became a different person. I wasn't the same shy girl I was before. I made friends easily and learned to go with the flow. Because in the end it doesn't matter. Everywhere you go be friendly to everyone and a smile goes a long way. I would tell myself to be more involoved in school. Join more clubs. Be more involved with extra-curricular activities. I've joined clubs and met people with the same interests as me. As a high school senior, I wasn't as 'school-spirited' as the rest of my classmates. I didn't go to clubs or do any sports. If I could go back and change anything. I would be more free-spirited.

Ciara

I wish I had gotten one or two jobs during senior year and saved up as much money as I could for school. I wish I had done more college-based classes and I wish I had done more scholarships. But more than anything, I wish I have enjoyed just how easy high school really was and enjoyed my time there, because college really is as stressful as they tell you it is, if not, then more.

Funmi

I would tell myself to breathe and relax. I actually only applied to three schools, all which required an audition process and were top-notch so my chances were slim. Everytime another one of my classmates got a college acceptance, I was extremely happy for them, but doubt began to set in because I hadn't heard from my colleges. Eventually, I found out that I was accepted into all three schools, but the long period of doubt definitely weighed on me. I'd tell myself that everyone's time is different...you can't compare your success to the person around you, and blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter. The only goal you should be setting for yourself is being better than the person you were yesterday.

Korinne

No matter what happens, stick to your studies. Join clubs no matter how much you may think it is a waste of time. They are a great way to meet people. Do not be afraid to put yourself out there. You truly start to learn about yourself when you put yourself outside of your comfort zone. This is about to be one of the greatest chapters of your life. Take advantage of it. Many obstacles will be put in your way, but don't let that stop you. You're about to spend over $100,000 on your education, so you better stay focused so you can get out of debt, and enjoy your life by having a job that you love.

Raziyah

I would tell myself to go look for college scholarships because school can be extremely expensive. I would tell myself to make sure I room with be who are like minded and have a similar day to night schedule as my own. I would tell myself not to get food crazy becasue freshman 15 is real! I would remind myself to never lose focus on why I'm going to college and to never lose hope and stay motivated. I would tell myself to trust that everything is going to fall in order how its supposed to be and to just keep movig forward no matter whats happening.

Be confident! You are awesome and fun and worthy of someone's time. Don't waste your breath and effort on people who would not do the same for you. Also, be a little more mindful of your money--you really need to set up a savings account. Get off Forever21.com and pick up a book.

Go with the flow and be open to lifes adventures and opportunities

If I could go back in time to give myself some advice about the transition into college and about college life, I would tell myself three things: First, I would tell myself to attend community college before an expensive university or private college. The classes are all the same, but at the community college they cost a lot less. Second bit of advance would be to not panic the first day of classes. Often the first day of class the professor will go over the syllabus and lay out the expectations for the course, which can be intimidating. I remember staring up a mountain of assignments and reports to be done at the beginning of the quarter, but by the end of the term I remember thinking, that wasn’t so bad. Last piece of advice I would give myself is to take care of your body outside of class. Make sure to eat right and exercise. It takes time to do that, but it will greatly help your focus and energy level. Go to a community college, stay calm and take care of your health are the three things I would tell myself in high school about college.

Alisha

Make sure you know how to manage your time and be very proactive! Join more clubs and always try to make time for yourself because sometimes it may get a little hectic! Stay focused and always ask for help when needed. Take more intro classes so by the time your ready to choose a major you know exactly what you want.

You worked hard to make it where you are now. Dont' stop now. Keep focused and your mind on what you want to achieve. This is your first time going away from home, get yourself involved. Many new social activities are going to come your way, learn how to manage your time. Yes you can have a good time, but keep your head in the books . It is easy to fall behind if you let yourself. Make a schedule that you can stick to. Have fun, be involved, and get good grades. (It costs a lot of money to have to retake a course). Enjoy yourself while you are young, but remember this is your seed to planting the rest of your life. Make the most out of your college experience and take advantage of everything your school has to offer.

tyler

I would have told myself to be more social with the people around me. I was not anti social in high school but i taked to a lot less people. When I got to college I talked to more people and got highly more accepted because of this. I would also tell myself to study more in the books every night to get ready for college and practice at least 1 hour of chinese a day.

Go and fill out every scholarship application you can lay your hands on. And study harder in Lit and Calc because 3's won't cut it.

Sungi

STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!! In high school I never studied for anything because I was the type of student that always did his home work and participated in class; which you had five times a week, and did perfectly fine. Now that I'm in college and have a class a max of 2-3 times a week, I can't afford to rely only on my class participation and home work; studying outside of class, and not just the day before a test, is a lot more benefitial. I would also tell myself to do the home work even if the professor doesn't collect or grade it; it all helps put in the end.

Domingo

If I can go back to my senior year in high school, I would tell myself to be open and speak to random people. Don't be shy and open up to others. The more open you are, the better. Through conversations with strangers, you learn a lot about the diversity of your school and the types of people that study in the same rooms you study. Make friends, and remember that a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet. Also, consider dorming, even if its just for one semester. It might be a financial burden, but remember that it's important to spend a lot of time on campus in order to get the full college experience.

Sebastian

I used to be one of those spoiled children who thought I could get through life just with charm. I would mainly advise myself on the importance of getting good grades. However, I did recieve this advice but it didn't settle in until it was a bit late. Therefore, I would also express the importance of working and succeeding by your own means. The realization of the importance of money is a key factor in appreciating your education. In life you need to prove yourself and there if lots of competition in the academic field, therefore you need to persue a career that engages you and you are willing to fight for.

Maureen

Your first semester your schedule is picked out for you, but after that you really should put a lot of consideration into how you make your schedule. Always speak to a counselor or professor for advice and be sure to pick up a copy of the requirements for classes for your major/minor to make sure you can graduate on time. Also, definitely use ratemyprofessors.com because it really helps to limit your chances of having professors you aren't going to have problems with. I would definitely suggest getting involved in at least one club too. You don't know where the club may take you and it may spark new interests. It's good to get out there and not be afraid to explore.

Monique

The new incoming freshmen should know a few things. First, make sure you get everything financially done ASAP, you will get penalized if you don't. With dorming, you don't always get the roommate or roommates you want or the dorm. However at orientation if you already have a dorm and roommate in mind you can fill out a form there. Majority of the time you get what you ask. If you are interested in student activities, in particular, Greek Life, ALL FRESHMEN CAN NOT JOIN A FRATERNITY OR SORORITY UNTIL SPRING SEMESTER OF YOUR FRESHMEN YEAR. Believeme thats not bad, it gives you time to get used to the campus as well as college life. And finally, RELAX! Don't overwhelm yourself, you have 4 years to enjoy everything.

You're going to hear people complain about campus, about the administration, about the size, about the other students...but they'll still stay. Many transfer, yes, because it's not for everyone. It's not so big that you can fall asleep in class without being noticed and that bothers a lot of people. It also bothers people that they see some of the same people every day. Honestly, I couldn't imagine not liking it here. Everyone is so nice and humble and the opportunities to get involved and excel are presented to everyone.

Francisco

The advice that i will give my self if i could go back in time and see my self as a senior again will be to stop waisting your time and pay more attention to the teacher so that when you go to collage and try harder in college.

Aiyanna

I would tell myself to work harder as a high school senior. I know I can do better than I did, I just didn't take it seriously. Thought I could just get into a college and be done with it. College choice makes a huge difference on your career. Also, I would let myself know that it's okay to change your major. Do whatever makes the better grades to get you where you want to be.

Hilda

Get you core done first! Try if possible to do 18 credits the first 2 years to make the last two less stress full. Also get involved with clubs they have great opportunities. Finally if possible dorm at Maria's Towers it might now look like the best dorm but you form friendships and experiences that will last for a very long time.

Marisch

As a recent graduate of high school, one thing I can mention about senior year is that it is very important to keep up with the pace! In other words, it is important to manage your time. Senior year is a very exciting and eventful time; however; you do not want any distractions to get in the way of deadlines, applications, classes, etc. As an expected graduate, you want to be able to walk down the aisle on graduation day knowing that you have accomplished all that you possibly can. Remember, you represent your high school wherever you go or wherever you put your name on an application. To that extent, be mindful of how to be the best student you can be. Do not worry about where your friends are going to college or what they are studying - you must stay true to yourself in order to find the right path after high school. You want to sustain a good relationship with your teachers, principal, and advisors because those are the people you will be asking references from. Ultimately, enjoy your senior year while it lasts and at the same time, stay focused on things that matter the most!

I would tell myself to not be as concerned with the name or reputation of a college. I would tell myself to go where they were offering me the most money. Pace has an extremely high tuition but there is no justification for it. I would look around for a cheaper institution. If I felt the money was worth it then I wouldn't mind the amount of debt I will be in when I graduate. But I feel I have wasted a significant amount of time and money with my attendance at Pace. After transferring to Pace I realize now that things were too easy at the time. I would have told myself to stay more on top of my credits and keep better track of everything. Because in the end the only person that actually cares about my education is me. Looking back I would have changed everything I considered important at the time.

Kim

I would tell myself to go directly into college and do not take a break. Sometimes when you take a break life happens and you may make a decision not to go to college. You may get a job without a college degree, but if something happens to that job, where will you be then. You need a degree to ensure yourself a good stable job.

Betty

I was raised by a controlling father who taught me that the only two places in this world I need to be familiar with are school and home. Although this kept me out of trouble, it limited my development socially because I only interacted with people I was already acquainted with. Thus, whenever I’m forced outside of my comfort zone in social situations, I’m extremely shy. It wasn’t until I entered college that I realized how great an effect this lifestyle had on me. College is more than just a place to further one’s education—it provides many opportunities to network with people from all walks of life. The social aspect of college life has been extremely challenging for me because of my shyness. I’ve realized that there are so many walls I have to break down. If I could give myself advice as a high school senior, I would tell myself to start preparing for this transition early by stepping outside of my comfort zone and actively placing myself in new social situations. If I had had this head-start at breaking my shyness, it would have lightened the burden on my shoulders now.

To my former self, Don't think about where you'll be in 10 years, what office you want to work in, or try to plan anything because it's silly to do that now. Don't pick a school based on money, since you'll be able to afford in anyways; based on degrees, since every college you're looking at has options; or based on where other people you know will be. Make the decision about feelings, the vibe that a place has. You will have fun, you will make friends, the work will be fine, as long as you relax. Take it one step at a time, letting the pieces fall into place without trying to rush everything or make plans for months and years ahead. Focus on yourself now because this is a time to define yourself, to become who you will, but only if you let it happen. Trying to control every outcome will only make you crazy, so take a deep breath and go with the flow. You will have a job, whether it's your dream job or the step to it, so follow your heart for now. Love, Your future self

erika

apply for more scholarships

I would tell myself that the transition is really hard, and that it takes time but eventually I will get used to living away from home. I would also tell myself to try and talk to as many people as possible in the beginning of the semester so I can make a lot of friends. Everyone is going through the same transition as you are, they just may not show as many struggles as you. Freshman year is hard on everyone, but just know that you will get through it, and it's going to be the greatest four years of your life. Also, it is important to know that half the people you meet at the beginning of you freshman year you won't be friends with even halfway through the semeseter. It's important to put yourself out there, you have the chance to be whomever you want you want too be, no one knows you. College is the time to start over without any repercussions.

I would have a lot to say, if I could go back and speak to the high school version of me. I would tell that younger me to find “extracurricular activities”- whether that was a sport, or me and a few other art-inclined students forming a group at the high school… just something more than only focusing on the academics. I would give younger me a push in the direction of community service; not just for scholarships, but to break out of my shell a little more I would sit the younger me down and tell her to go for her dreams from the get-go... to not be so afraid to say that I wanted to go into the art field. I would have felt a lot less stress back then, if I had had the confidence to say that to myself. At the same time, I would tell her to keep her chin up... that even though I would make mistakes, miss out on certain opportunities, everything would turn out okay- that I find myself, just a little bit more everyday. I think, hearing that from an older me... would have really changed my mindset back then.

Qa'Sean

I've learned about the importance of work. There will never be a case where someone is successful and can sustain that success without work. In the short time I've been here, I've wanted to do more with myself, from searching for jobs here and there to volunteering to be my floor's representative. I want to express myself and be sucessful, but I don't think I can do that without putting in the work.

Attending college is now more common than ever. Though it seems unfortunate perhaps, the experience is great. The cost of attending may be high, but I have so far found it to be well worth it. I live among some of the most interesting people and love this journey I've been able to take.

Armanda

Mi experiencia universitaria ha sido de gran valor para mi ya que me siento como todo una profecional . Tambien ha sido de gran valor para mi pertenecer a la mejor universidad que tiene Puerto Rico una universidad comprometida con el estudiantado y con la humanidad ya que no solo educan si no que creean valores se la recomiendo a todo el mundo. Yo soy la Inter y tu que esperas.

Cara

My college experience is valuable because I finally feel that my life is fulfilling. In the past, I could not completely enjoy the present, but I knew my future experiences would be worthwhile. I now have many choices when it comes to my learning opportunities. My course choices are not based merely on curriculum requirements; I choose classes to learn about topics that I genuinely want to study. I love college because I am receiving a truly liberal arts education and I have ample opportunities to make a real contribution to my campus community. My extracurricular activities have added such richness to my experience. I am gaining life lessons that will become a part of defining who I am. My interactions with students and faculty have made me more confident. I may have completely rid myself of my shyness—something I have been struggling with during my high school years. I have been able to meet such wonderful people and build friendships that do not feel fake. What I am saying may sound typical, but it is genuine. These are aspects that I have always sought in my college dreams. I honestly, cannot image my life without this unique experience.

Genevive

I have learned many things from my college experience. While I have learned many of the course objectives that are given in college classes, I have also learned a more valuable lesson. That lesson is who I am, who "Genevive Lusaria" is as a person. In college, while I have been given information, many explaining concepts and procedures, I have also learned what kind of person I am and through that, I have made my decision of what kind of person I want to be. My college experience has helped me better understand the process I need to undergo to make that transformation. Once I've realized my personal goals, I worked to achieve them along with my academic goals. Every class since then has contributed to the person I want to be, building my determination and desire for success.

I must say that my favorite course I have taken in my college experience so far was my Intro to Theatre course. The policies enforced by the professor were strict: no more than one absense the whole semester, no late assignments, all pieces for performance must be memorized. However, while many would groan at such strictness, there was reason for it. In the class, collaboration was the key, and without it not only would everyone fail, but there would be nothing learned. And so while it might have been inconveinient to sit through a three-hour class, it was certainly a build of discipline. And discipline is what anyone needs in the real world and is amongst the most valuable qualities.

Peter

My college experience has allowed me the opportunity to live on my own, study things I probably would not have on my own (such as the religious history of China) and to meet people whom I never would have otherwise (like Japanese speaking Ukrainians). To me, the experience is an allegory of life in the "real world". You have to meet and work with people from ever walk of life, success in which can make or break your grade; required classes makes one think outside the familiar or desired (a fact of life in general) and within one's preferred fields makes one delve deeper, getting a better knowledge outside of the less-than-enthralling. College also allows one to evaluate their life and make a more informed decision about what one wants to do. Required classes and networking force people to think heavily about what they want to do with their lives; one of the few times that this is permissible before they settle into a career and ensuing obligations. So far my college experience has taught me this and allowed to me to confidently look to my future and has reassured my aspirations.

I learned who I am as a person in college. By being away from everything that I know, and learning for myself what life is all about, I found out how independent and strong I can truly be. I made all my own friendships, and learned skills that I need now that I am on my own. Along with keeping up with school work and doing well on exams, I learned how to make new relationships, respect myself, and respect everyone that I meet. Going to college was a valuable choice because it forced me to mature and learn all the things I needed to learn to become an adult. In my first semester, I learned more than the entire four years of high school. Back in high school I was with my old friends and had my family to run to whenever anything went wrong. Now, I have to find solutions to my problems by myself and as a result of this I have grown as a person. College helped me find out who I am and how strong people can really be when they must be independent. It is a valuable experience that I’m grateful for.

Dima

From my experience in college I have discovered that there is more to life than I ever knew. It has brought me to make friends, learn what I love and be happy. Unlike highschool, no matter what exam hits me its my life on line thats is worth everything.

I got my first taste of true independence and freedom by attending college. It has been extremely valuable to me because now I know that I am more than able to take care of myself and manage my responsibilities.

Salvador

College provides the challenge to prepare for the labor force and the real job arena that is out there. If there was another word for college it would be catalyst becasue it ensures that to separate the loafers from the workers. Though it sounds a little harsh, college is fun and builds character and commitment. There is more to just reading and lectures. College helps maintain a suitable life with other people from that college and because some colleges have thousands of students, meeting new people everyday is not a challenge. Ultimately, college is an investment that does not gurantee happiness. Sometimes one must work harder than expected to earn a good grade. But what college really has to offer is a path that can lead to suceess. For me, this is why college is so fun!

What I have gotten out of my college experience thus far is that it isn't easy. I got by in highschool getting a's without getting challenged and this was a big wake up call. Being in college for these few months has allowed my eyes to open to taking this challenge with open arms and being greatful for it.

It is a very good academic university and you can never become bored or feel left out of something and their is always something to do here. Playing sports and working out in the gym and help you get a good work out .

Fenesha

When I first start college I was not prepared mentally. After my first year, I learned the hard way it is nothing similar to high school. I think that after coming back to fulfill my educational goals I am more focused and determined to achieve them with high standards and honor.

Yasmin

My college experience is very important to me. Without college I will not succeed in the goals that I have for myself. This is valuable on many levels, which gives me the motivation to go every day until I graduate. I want to earn my B.A in Applied Psychology and Human Relations with a minor in philosophy, that I am currently enrolled in now. My ambition to finish college is the unfortunate life experiences I have endured while growing up. My older sister committed suicide in college;however, while growing up she was my role model. Her illness and her demise made me evaluate my own life and successful alternatives. Finishing school for me is important, since my own sister didn't finish her own education. It is unfortunate that I lost my sister, and it is difficult for others to see how a tragic event could still encourage me positively. My college experience at Pace University is academically challenging and it stimulates my ability to think rationally and I enjoy this. This values my attendance because without me being there I will not be able to become the professional in the field of psychology.

Shaun

Just the basic classes, like humanities, opens your mind up to things you never would have looked twice at before attending. For instance, I went into a Japanese steak house recently, and knew that the scrolls on the walls were called "stamps," how they were made, and who made them. Prior to college, I wouldn't even have looked at them. The papers I've written were more opinionated and on broader topics than anything I was allowed to do in high school, and public spe3aking helped me get over my fear of taling iin front of a crowd. Conversations in daily life are more interesting the more educated you are. Studying abroad is something I'd like to do, as learning about different customs in other countries sparked my interest in learning more about the world at large.

swaleha

college teaches you how to live in a competitve world like today. not just can you help yourself but you help others by getting education. my college taught me the reality. when i got out of high and saw the real world, it was then i realized how tough the world is and that you have to be intependent to do anything here. it gave me a hope that i can be a someone that can cause a change in this world, the power to do something good.