Pace University-New York Top Questions

What are the academics like at Pace University-New York?

Nikki

The academics at Pace get a mixed review. When it comes to the professors its a hit or miss. The honors college and Lubin are known for their very good professors. The great thing about Pace is some of the unique classes like Urban Planning, New York architecture, and broadway shows.

Maureen

The professors at Pace truly enjoy their job. Not every professor is the greatest, but I have had no serious issues with any professor that I have had at Pace. I always find professors to truly engage with students, know them by name, and establish bonds that surpass the classroom. My favorite class at Pace was Performing Poetry with Erica Fabri. The class was unorthodox and introduced me to a branch of poetry that I had no knowledge of. I have always been interested in poetry, but I had not put thought into performance poetry before. I had to watch Def Jam on Youtube for homework and I found myself spending hours watching videos of artists performing poetry. It really sparked creativity and I never felt such close connections with my fellow classmates. It definitely opened me up to a lot of things. My least favorite class was Finite Mathematics. I did not enjoy this class because I do not think that it is wise to use PowerPoint to do mathematical equations. The professor did not explain clearly and he often made errors in his computations. Despite the fact that I am terrible at mathematics, I survived the class with a B+. I have never taken a class where there was not a heavy amount of student participation. Lectures do not engage students and are not beneficial for neither student nor professor. Students always voice opinions and are not afraid to ask questions when confused. Students definitely take their intellectual conversations outside the classroom. I have been part of deep, philosophical conversations even in the cafeteria over chicken Caesar wraps. Sometimes conversations in the classroom continue afterwards and sometimes conversations prior to class continue into class time. Students care about their studies and there are many truly intellectual students at Pace. The Psychology department at Pace is wonderful. I have gone to professors for advice even when I have never taken a class with them. There are many different, interesting classes to take for my major and I have never had a Psychology professor that I have anything bad to say about. What I like most about professors in the Psychology department is that they do not just teach psychology, but are active in the field. I feel that the school's academic requirements are very good. Students are required to take classes outside their major that may inspire new interests and will open them up to a variety of areas of knowledge. It is because of how Pace does its requirements that I have found new interests and took a minor in art. The education at Pace in terms of classes is more geared for learning, but the university as a whole provides many opportunities for gaining internships and employment.

Monique

Academics is the foundation of the school. The professors here are really here to push you to be the best you can be and excel in their class as well as in college in general. I have six professors and they all know me by name. The classes are of a 20:1 ratio, allowing the professor to get to know every individual in the class. The education at this school is both geared toward getting a job and a learning experience for you. The university offers a lot of work-study and on campus jobs in the field you want to work in. As well as internships in the local area or in the Big Apple. If you are interested in a internship in media, they have internships in television networks, and/or radio productions. Interested in medical, they have internships where you can audit a procedure in a local hospital or in the university infirmary with real licensed nurses. The best part is if you do a great job at that internship, you can even get a job offer right after you graduate, and Pace paved that way for you.

Monique

Academics is the foundation of the school. The professors here are really here to push you to be the best you can be and excel in their class as well as in college in general. I have six professors and they all know me by name. The classes are of a 20:1 ratio, allowing the professor to get to know every individual in the class. My favorite class would have to be English. I love to write and I can really express myself through my writing and seeing my hard work being paid off with a grade of an A makes me feel extraordinary. My least favorite class is and always has been math,and college made me dislike it more. Although math is not my favorite subject, the professor at times made it likable. The education at this school is both geared toward getting a job and a learning experience for you. The university offers a lot of work-study and on campus jobs in the field you want to work in. As well as internships in the local area or in the Big Apple. If you are interested in a internship in media, they have internships in television networks, and/or radio productions. Interested in medical, they have internships where you can audit a procedure in a local hospital or in the university infirmary with real licensed nurses. The best part is if you do a great job at that internship, you can even get a job offer right after you graduate, and Pace paved that way for you.

Francis

Academics are great at Pace! The class sizes are between 10-30 students for most classes and even in lecture halls, the professors try their best to interact with all their students. Professors definitely know their students names and are concerned whether their students are doing well or not. In class participation is very common; I believe this is because professors are apt at creating a comfortable environment for their students to participate. It even gets competitive for participation. I am a political science major with a minor in economics. My major allows me to study various topics such as African politics or 21st century philosophy. The most interesting class I have taken is Hip Hop politics. In addiction we have 5 areas of study to fulfill such as, art, history, community service, and science. I believe the academic requirements are fair and well rounded. Education at Pace is definitely geared towards finding a future career path.

Aramis

I have met some of the most amazing professors at Pace. During my studies in the Media and Communication Arts program, I have been able to work with business professionals ranging from public relations and event planning to writers at the New York Times to directors of non-profit organizations. I learned so much within my first year that I have been able to make a complete career change with little training needed. Most of the professors I have had, have been open to keeping touch with the students and helping us outside of the class. They have even put us in touch with their own personal connections by bringing in guest speakers, taking us on tour, and having us do hands-on work with actual companies. The professors have been the best part of Pace to me. Ultimately, they mean the most to the students advancement, and I would be lying if I said they haven't helped me grow personally.

Frances

Professors definitely know my name. The classes are just the right size; usually they’re never over thirty students so is easier for the teachers to remember everyone’s names and how everyone is doing in class. My favorite class ever was Law 101; I took it when I was a freshman as one of my open electives. The teacher was the funniest man I’ve ever met and also very knowledgeable. Taught by the wrong person this class would have been the most boring class ever, but because of the teacher I actually enjoyed attending class, even though it met at 8:30 in the morning. My least favorite class was Psychology 111, at first I thought Psychology might be interesting for me but it turned out not to be, all the technical terms...it was just not my thing. I personally don’t know anyone who studies all the time but it always depends on how much work the teacher assigns, everyone usually studies more towards midterms and finals of course. The amount of class participation depends on the class but there are always a couple of students that participate all the time in each class. The most unique class I’ve ever taken is definitely History of Witches and Wizards. Honestly, this class wasn’t one of my choices, I had to take it because I needed a History class and all the other ones were full, but luckily it turned out to be very interesting. I’ve recently declared my major to Communications, I’ve taken a few media classes so far and I’ve loved them, especially Writing in the Electronic Media or Broadcast Writing. My advisor also made it very easy for me to know what classes to take and how to make my schedule. I would say the education at Pace is definitely geared towards getting a job, in class the teachers always remind you things like “When you guys are out there, this is what you’ll do” and the school has also Career Services which is a very helpful department in everything that is getting internships and possible jobs.