Pacific Lutheran University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Pacific Lutheran University

McKensi

Overall, I enjoyed my experience. I loved the small class sizes and the ability to have access faculty easily. But I do wish I would've gotten more out my education in terms of practical experience. The pandemic created difficulty for many especially in terms of gaining practical experience, however I believe there could've been better efforts made to improve this.

Brianna

I really love the school. The faculty are very nice and are generally involved/care about the progress of students. The facilities could use a little work in staying clean, but overall remain nice. The food started out very nice, but as the year continued it went downhill quick, and the number of gluten-free options decreased.

I really like PLU. The teachers are accessible, the class sizes are small, and there are plenty of campus activities going on all the time. From what I've seen and experienced as a visitor, it's easy to get to know people. PLU's very Northwest in terms of of its attitude towards conservation and campus style, so if you're into all of that, it's an awesome school.

Overall, I love PLU. I think the thing I love the most would be the small campus. I appreciate being able to make connections and keep in contact with friends on campus, and I really enjoy the ability to get to know the professors and develop a relationship with them. They are always so helpful and available. While PLU might not be the most up-to-date, the academics and atmosphere make up for it.

Vakeaemanu

PLU is a great institution, but it lacks diversity. The school itself is actively speaking out and advocating for diversity, but that does not make up for the lack of color on campus, it just makes it even more obvious. This year's freshman class is the most diverse class the university has ever seen, but it is still predominantly white both in student life and staff. I just wish there was more color present at the university.

Michaela

I love the relationships that can be built with professors based on the small class sizes, but I personally don't like the small class sizes that much. There is not much opportunity for differing opinions, it is very focused on one political side. I enjoy the wide diversity of classes you can take and I like the general education requirements.

Lisa

As soon as I stepped foot on Pacific Lutheran's campus I fell in love with the atmosphere. The classic brick buildings, scattered lampposts, and beautiful grounds really speak for themselves. It is a very liberal school, they promote diversity and acceptance throughout the campus continuously. And although its a private Lutheran college there is a heavy religious vibe and any pressure to be so. Really the college just has a no smoking and drinking rule, but if you are a party-er hope is not lost and there are still parties thrown off campus. Education wise PLU is top notch, classes are small and engaging and nearly all professors are welcoming and available. Food is crazy expensive, as it at most colleges, and while the dorm rooms are quaint I don't find them welcoming. The worst thing would have to be the surrounding area, it's a little sketchy and since its an open campus there has been cases of theft, robbery, car vandalism, and sexual assault. Campus safety isn't the best and while I've never been a victim, I definitely don't like walking alone at night and always carry my pepper-spray with.

Haley

PLU is a welcoming and diverse campus full of academic and extracurricular opportunities. There are majors that apply to all career types, and professors are always willing to help outside of class. The facilities need some upgrades, but there are plenty of places to study, get coffee and something to eat. The class sizes in general are 30 students or less, which makes it easy to get to know your peers and professors. We have a variety of sports for men and women, and if sports aren't your thing, there are plenty of clubs ranging from outdoor exploration to a Capella performance. Whatever you are interested in, PLU probably has it!

Katie

Great looking college, many places in the area to visit. The campus is beautiful, it has lots of green area and space. The college itself, a bit judgmental and hypocritical, I wouldn't recommend if not (extreme)liberal or tend to not be into the popular type of opinions and/or ideas.

Betsy

The community is friendly but many people do not enjoy living on campus due to the quiet atmosphere. There is a large emphasis on academic and professors are dedicated to helping students learn. It's a small community which can both beneficial and detrimental.

I am enrolled at PLU for my first year in the fall, I have visited a few times now and I love the campus. I feel safe, the dorms are exactly what you expect them to be (in a good way), the food is good and affordable, there is plenty to do and see, overall it is a wonderful place and I am excited to experience student life there for real.

Abbie

Pacific Lutheran University is a pretty good school. The students are nice and the professors are amazing. They really care about their students and since there are small class sizes, professors often remember you and are willing to help you, even when you are no longer in their classes.

moses

PLU is such an amazing school, even though it was not my first choice, I do not regret at all coming to this school. The campus is so beautiful all year round, when the leaves are falling in the fall, when the campus is covered in snow during winter, and when the flowers blossom for spring. I feel so at home at PLU because the people are so amazing, everything is so accessible, I am getting an amazing education and I am having so much fun doing it. My education here feels so personalized, I really love how easy it has been for me to build strong relationships with my teachers. There are always cool event happening on campus, anything from dances, concerts, plays, comedy shows, etc. The only downside of this school is the price, but PLU is very generous with its financial aid. I love PLU, and being a LUTE. I am very excited for all the cool things that are going to happen for me at this school and I would definitely recommend this school to anyone.

Katy

Pacific Lutheran University makes me feel comfortable. I am a person of color and even though the campus has a large population of whites attending, I don’t feel uncomfortable. The classes are smaller and the professors really care about you and how you are doing in their class and outside of class.

Tabitha

I love it here. I was torn between University of Washington-Seattle and PLU, and after multiple tours, sitting in on many classes, and meeting faculty, I chose PLU. With small class sizes, amazing faculty, and an absolutely gorgeous campus, I picked PLU. I haven't met a teacher that hasn't gone out of their way for a student, nor have I met a student that wasn't passionate about their area of study.

Kate

Pacific Lutheran University is a very diverse community and offers multiple opportunities for campus involvement and higher education. PLU encourages students to get involved in campus activities and groups to meet new people and life-long friends. The staff is very supportive of the student's lives on and off campus and offer assistance in classes, and also outside of classes. The small class-size is great in helping create a real relationship with your professor, which is so helpful when needing help in a certain area of class. PLU is a tight-knit, diverse community that offers assistance to all students in a plethora of areas.

Tyson

Pacific Lutheran University is a very unique place. I live off the U.S. Mainland and was not sure if I would be able to handle being away from somewhere I have lived for so long. although when i first visited campus they gave me an at home feeling. the faculty is always helpful the students are very friendly and the culture is very connected as a student body. no matter where you go people are always being helpful or hanging out with students outside their own cliques. this school is amazingly helpful and beneficial to an social student that wants to go to a small liberal arts school

Delaney

It is an excellent school that is very flexible for each student. You really get to design your education, while experimenting in other fields. The school intends to turn you into a Renaissance person, where you have great experience in STEM, art, athletics, social sciences, and community service. There is a club or organization for everyone, and they do a really good job at welcoming students. The students are the kind of people who hold doors for strangers with a smile. PLU is a great community that I would recommend nearly any student to attend.

Jayson

I feel that Pacific Lutheran University is a standout university in terms of academics, however I feel that executive policies could be better and that the facilities in the social sciences and physical education departments are desperately in need of updating.

Carmen

As a current senior searching for the perfect fit of a university I have been looking around at all my local options. As a family centered person I wanted to be able to be close to home but always be able to experience the "college life" at the same time. My counselors repeatedly always tell me that when I get that "special feeling" at a university it means it is the one. I definitely got that feeling every single time I have been on the campus and I sure hope to be a FUTURE LUTE!

Barbara

Pacific Lutheran University has a very strong commitment to Diversity, Justice, and Sustainability. There are certainly times when it messes up and like is harder for students with marginalized or impacted identities, but I have known them to be open to having conversations with students to help fix those issues. I know that I can make the space for me to be included in conversation, or protest for my voice to be heard. The academics are really strong as well. This is a school that will challenge you, but the profs are really available to work with you. Overall, it's a good decision, especially if you're in to social justice.

PLU is well-known for their commitment to social justice and sustainability issues. Our heritage is Lutheran which shapes the way academics are taught. We are consistently taught to seek lives of thoughtful inquiry and apply our academic study to make the world a better place.

Pacific Lutheran University is a great school that offers students many outlets for their future. This university highly values a diverse culture where anyone can be who they want to be. There are many clubs, sports and campus activities to get involved with. Pacific Lutheran University will be a place you want to call home.

Pacific Lutheran University is a very diverse campus. Now, I know you can say that about a lot of other campuses, but this campus makes everyone feel included, and I have never heard a bad word from anybody about anyone. That's one of the best things about this campus. Everyone here is so nice to each other. People will smile and say hi as they pass you. The common rooms in dorms are very nice, and make everyone feel like they can hang out there. The academics is very rigorous, but if you're having trouble you can see your professor during office hours. And if you can't get that time to work, the professors will make a time for you that works. You're not just some student here, you're a person that your professor truly cares about.

Deborah

It's really good, but as with everything there's issues. There aren't as many places for people with different views to go to (since people who attend PLU are very like-minded, the staff is similarly like-minded -- it's harder for people with opposing views to express themselves). There are lots of tensions between people who live in the same dorm (at least, there is in my dorm) that's really hard to solve because the RA isn't always present or available. But it's really easy to find time alone when needed because people are respectful of personal space.

Emma

Pacific Lutheran University has an inclusive, tight-knit community. People are very friendly, and the teachers are heavily invested in their students. I feel at home here, and I feel included in my classes and extracurricular activities. The Music department is one of the best.

Becky

PLU is an overall great school. The professors and associated faculty are excellent and the courses are challenging. I would not give high ratings to the other staff, however. I lived on campus this last year and has a very disrespectful Resident Director. They were very one-sided and never actually did their job, such as interview students involved in conflicts. They would just take the word of a single student. I often felt disrespected by other students because of beliefs that did align with them. This school claims to be open minded, but only if your beliefs align exactly with the mass majority. My major complaint is that even the president of the university was not proactive in resolving conflict around the university and instead bread a hostile political climate. I was very disappointed. All of this aside, I have yet to have a bad professor or class. The academics of this university align well with my own and are this school's current saving grace. I do recommended that this school be one you look at, but make sure it is truly the right fit for you.

Irene

I love the environment at school. I love the fact that I can always count on my professors for help with anything I might need. And if a student​ needs extra help, tutoring is also offered which helps. Students at PLU are also very helpful and kind. PLU offers many extracurricular activities and there is always room to build more.

Tyler

Pacific Lutheran University is a highly accredited academic school. This is because the school is small and so are the class sizes, which makes for a very nice learning environment. The accessibility of the professors is outstanding. The professors answer questions all the time, in class and out. All of the professors respond surprisingly fast to emails and are constantly sending us tools to further our learning. Outside of the academics, however, there is not much to enjoy. The facilities and gyms, as well as the dorms are dirty and outdated. The social life is almost non existent because there are not many things to do on or off campus, besides study. Parkland, the area around the school, does not provide students with fun activities to take part in. Even on campus at sporting events there is a lack of student attendance, which makes for a low-energy environment. In conclusion, I would say that if academics is all someone cares about and is looking for in a school, then Pacific Lutheran University would be perfect for them.

Ariel

Pacific Lutheran University is small, but that does not necessarily mean it is bad. It is easy to navigate around the campus and the community is very welcoming. The general class size is fairly small, but by experience it provokes more class discussions. Professors genuinely have an interest in how their students excel in their classes and try to meet with them upon requests. Academics are decent and I would definitely recommend a tour of the school if you seem slightly interested.

Emma

The campus is wonderful and students, staff, and faculty are very welcoming. Students always smile at others and hold the doors open even if you are even 40 feet away! So surprising! The academics are fun yet rigorous especially in the International Honors Program (which I personally recommend). Professors are always helpful, kind, and easy to get a hold of or meet with. Everyone is very accommodating and helpful especially trying to help me plan my major, minor, and two study away semesters into my four years. Studying away is highly prioritized at PLU and extremely affordable for semester long programs. The only downsides are that it is not in a prime location of Tacoma and there is not much to do on the weekends. Though there are fun outdoor recreation trips every weekend and a couple different malls nearby.

PLU has many opportunities for students to get involved in school groups as well as to perfect their educational goals. Overall, the campus provides a great balance between academic and social life. I have lived in Harstad Hall for the past 2 years and living on campus provides students with even more opportunities than commuters. Would recommend living on campus all four years.

Zenaida

Pacific Lutheran is one of the best universities around. A student can actually get to know their professor. They have a great study abroad program and they make it as accessible as it can be to everyone. The student community is very engaging and involved.

Kristen

I am at Pacific Lutheran University for my second degree- Graduate Nursing. I went to a small liberal art college in the midwest for my undergraduate, so I am used to the expensive tuition and intimate class settings. However, I honestly feel like I am paying too much for the quality of campus life and education there.

Sadie

It’s a beautiful campus filled with wonderful people- peers and professors. The classrooms are generally small so personally I feel like the learning experience is a lot better than with large classrooms at other schools. Housing is wonderful, they will be sure to put you with someone you can get along with easily. But it’s a very costly school and many students are struggling to meet the financial requirements.

Exiya

Pacific Lutheran University has given me the opportunity to be myself wherever I go. There are many opportunities that are given to succeed in school and life in general. I’m happy because I feel welcome and safe, and that’s something other school don’t have.

Joy

The campus is beautiful! I took the tour as was exploring colleges to go to. The tour guide was exceptional! She was outgoing, informative, and easy to talk to. More importantly she was excited about the school. As I went back for a second visit, the tour guide I had was the same! Super excited about the school and personable. Every person I met on the campus was relational. That is the reason I chose this college. Above any other college I visited, PLU was the one that I felt most at home with, I fell in love with the community and culture and that's why it was it was so easy to choose this school.

Anna

I was a commuter student at Pacific Lutheran University, but I only attended for my first semester of college. The school itself was very beautiful with its brick buildings and luscious green lawns, and many of my fellow students were very nice and respectful. The academic portion of the college was also fairly good, and most of my professors displayed an interest in their students' success. My favorite class was my Anatomy and Physiology Lab because not only were students encouraged to discover answers to the given questions on their own, but they were also encouraged to fully immerse themselves in the information. Personally, this helped me retain the material much better because I was able to touch and experience the body systems while also clarifying topics by asking questions. Additionally, the professor for my Anatomy and Physiology Lab was fun and easy to talk to while also being respectful and professional. However, there were also times when I felt that some of my professors acted unprofessionally. Some would swear during their lectures and others would blatantly say they didn’t care what students did during their class. Despite this, I managed to glean the information needed to do well in my classes. Outside of class was a whole different story. Due to the fact that I was a commuter student, I felt very disconnected from the rest of campus. This was in part my fault, however, the community wasn’t as inviting or engaging as I needed which was why I ended up transferring to Northwest University.

TessaJaine

It is a very inclusive community with something for everyone. There isn't any push on religion even though it is a religion based school, everyones opinions are respected and treated equally. The school even has great employment options on and off capmus so students can earn money easily while still being close to school.

Xavier

It is an amazing school with just the right amount of students. The class sizes are small enough to allow for 1:1 learning with the professors. The professors are almost always available to help and are always willing to help students. There is also a great tutoring program.

Marie

Pacific Lutheran University is known for its small class sizes and approachable teachers. The academics challenge the students which is good preparation for graduate school, businesses, etc. There is a requirement to live on campus for at least a year or unless you are 20+, but I live in T-stad and we have themed floors. For example, I live on the Wellness floor that focuses on mental health, fitness, nutrition, etc. throughout the school year and we keep each other accountable.

Kaila

Pacific Lutheran University has been a very nice change of pace from my small town high school. Back at home a lot of people my age are very closed-minded, but here at college most people at least listen or care about what you have to say. I finally started finding a group of people, friends that I actually identify with rather than just having people to have people. The coursework as a Music Ed major is VERY rigorous, there's no denial about that. But all the music faculty is very caring and helpful, all the professors I've had in all departments just want to see students succeed. One of my favorite things is the amount of professors, mine and others, that grades work and tests on your process, and will give partial credit for a partial right answer if you've only made a simple mistake. The environment here is definitely focused on personal and educational growth, which the community, faculty, and students help to foster.

Sandra

I am a Hispanic in a private college that is mostly white dominated. I felt a culture shock when I first arrived, so I took refuge in a zone that I knew best, the Hispanic Studies department. For me, this was a great place to start. They are the reason I was able to navigate the campus and the professors beyond this department. I would not be as academically successful if it were not for their constant assistance on my behalf. The professors at PLU are there for the students. I have kept myself in the social sciences department and every professor without fail have spent their own time working with me, encouraging me and just making sure that I am okay. PLU is holistic in how it views it's students. There are opportunities for engagement for everyone and anyone. What I liked the most about PLU is how engaged it is with the community. It views the community as a place to serve and not as a place that serves them. I grew up around the Parkland area where PLU is located, however, there is so much more I see when I come in with the mentality to help rather than to see what I can get out of it.

Noelani

I absolutely love it! The campus isn't exactly the most aesthetically pleasing one out there, but that doesn't matter as much to me as I thought it would coming in to college. The community is what is especially impressive to me. Every single person I have met here is incredibly kind and social; Everyone here is friendly! And the classes are also very impressive. The class size is optimal because there are small numbers for the most part. And the classes are intellectually stimulating. I haven't taken a class yet that doesn't teach me valuable information or that I dislike for any reason. I would definitely recommend this school for anyone looking to apply soon.

Odette

Overall, PLU is a solid school. I have only had a few teachers I have had problems with, while the others are amazing. The atmosphere is positive, albeit a little "dear God, tuition is high and I have so much homework." I feel academically and emotionally supported at school and have resources to reach out to if I feel overwhelmed in any part of my college life.