Forest Grove, OR
Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pacific University

Jeff

When I first started looking at colleges and universities toward the end of high school, a tour guide at the University of Idaho gave me some incredible advice: "When you're looking around at colleges and campuses, one of them will immediately feel like home. That is where you should end up." I took this advice to heart as I continued my search. I visited more than 10 college campuses in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, and Montana. When I came across Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR, I knew I had found my home away from home. The campus is in a small town similar to my own, but is also a short car or train ride from Portland; there are less than 1,500 students and a great student-professor ratio; every student I met was very welcoming; and the university provides great financial aid for those who have a hard time affording the tuition. It was perfect. So my advice is this: think about what you want to get out of your university experience and, as you continue your college search, you will find someplace where you feel like you belong. That is where you should end up.

I honestly cannot think of anything. Maybe that tuition keeps going up every year, but compared to other universities in the area, ours goes up the least...

Although the food in the cafeteria is good, there is not a huge variety of choices.

Andrea

They are very fun, talented, easy going, caring, and very intelligent people. I love being around the people in my class.

It is never too early to begin looking at prospective colleges for yourself. Plan early and do as much research as you possibly can to be sure that you find the right college for yourself. Most high schools, if not all of them, bring in Admissions Directors or Admissions Counselors to speak to students about the college they work for. It is extremely useful to go to as many of these as possible because you should have an open mind about each college when you first begin to look around. You should have enough research done to choose your top five, or even top ten colleges. Visit colleges when you get the chance, and look into the application processes for each college. Do everything you can to prepare yourself for what lies ahead of you after you graduate from high school.

I love that it's so diverse here and everyone is so friendly and helpful. The class sizes are also a great thing because I've gone to small private schools my entire life, so it wasn't too much of a change to add on to the culture change coming from Hawai'i to the mainland.

Mackenzie

Know if you're a city person or a small town person. Know if you want to be able to talk to your professors, know if you like to be more than a number. Many people are happy in very large schools, but I believe, even if you think it would be best to blend in, you will get more out of your experience if you are expected to interact with those knowledgable in your field. Even at a small school 1200 people, there can be people in your major that you never see. Which I think is good. You don't want to have to see everyone all the time. It's all about financial aid too...do not go to a school where you will have loans for the rest of your life. Save it for grad school or something else. You want to be debt free.

Those who want small classes and accessible teachers

Jordana

My classmates are fun, intelligent, friendly, well-rounded, and have lots of potential.

When applying for colleges, the first step is deciding what you want from staff, students, and the school itself. I wanted to attend a small university with open-minded and diverse students and staff. I wanted easier access to available help. Of course I also wanted a great education and a university that opened many doors for me and allowed me to reach my full potential. After you decide what is right for you, reasearch colleges, visit campuses, talk to administrators or students who attend(ed) those colleges. However, the best advice I received during high school was to not let money interfere with my decision. Of course finances are a huge part of the decision process--but there is always help. There are endless amounts of scholarships, financial aid, and loans. So get a head start and fill out applications as soon as possible. The earlier you apply, the higher your chances are of getting accepted and receiving more financial aid as well. I chose Pacific University and it is everything I wanted and more.

Most professors do not hand out a lot of homework assignments, they only require readings; so majority of our grades are based on tests and sometimes people do not take tests very well.

Esther

Everyone is pretty friendly to everyone else, although about 1/3 of the student population is from Hawaii, and they get a bit clique-y.

The only way to really feel out a school and know if it could be the right one for you is to physically visit campus. Get a feel for the surroundings, meet a professor or two, talk to other staff and students, taste some of the every day food (not just what they feed you at organized events), visit the library... You'll be able to get an impression of how the school really is based on your comfort level and observations that will tell you much more than the school website or other reviews can. Just remember that when you go on a tour or to a university sponsored event you are seeing the school as they want you to view it- not necessarily the most accurate lens. Take your time and really get to know the school!

Students are required to live on campus with a meal plan for the first two years. Although this helps the process of making friends, it limits other opportunities and is financially rigid. Meal plans get really old after about a semester, when all the food is always the same.

Jeremy

My classmates are helpful.

My classmates are helpful.

Make sure you see the campus you will be attending before you decide on your school. Do not pick the school based on what you have heard or the pictures of the campus that you saw online, looks can be decieving!

Our school has a lot of new buildings and all of them are green-built.

Allie

My school is a small, private school that is accepting of everyone from art majors to pre-med students, where the class sizes average 17 students and were our president is always on campus and can be found enjoying lunch with everyone.

The advice I would give to students would be to apply to schools that not only interest you acedemically, but location is always key, sports programs, music programs, and maybe even those few schools that you aren't sure if you would get accepted. Once you select your top few choices, make sure you go and visit. It may not be love at first sight, but there could be one specific student that catches your eye and helps you to see the real side to the school. While at school, take advantage of every aspect of the campus, get a job, join a club, become a member of the local Boys and Girls club, try out for a sport that you have never played before. There are so many ways to get out there, it is just up to you to take advantage. You aren't they only freshman on campus who doesn't know anyone and is ready to jump at a new friendship. Have fun, be smart, your only a college student once.

The small class sizes, the personal professors and how they all know your first name.

Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.