Forest Grove, OR
Pacific University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pacific University

Colin

A vibrant and interesting school with a great environment and an interesting choice of classes and professors.

Optometry. Also, the large amount of Hawaiian students.

Be prepared to make sacrifices. While something seems like it would be fun now, is it really worth sacrificing a good grade for? You will make lots of friends, but make sure that you use their resources to help you when possible. You are not alone. With the help of others you can do great things.

Mary

I would tell myself, not to give up. That no matter what happens you have to stick to your guns and decide to stay in school. That sacrifing a really good job in leiu of going to school would be worth it in the long run. When seemingly everything is going wrong and life is throwing curve balls at you to stay in school. Listen to your parents because they tend to have a good handle on life and tend to have a better perceptive on life, to learn from their mistakes and not let it go in one ear and out the other. Take chances on people, to be more outgoing the worse that can happen to you is that they will not be your friend. That your fears are holding you back, when the fears are unfounded. That no matter what the economic status of a fellow classmate, they are are still in fact human. To take every chance I could to explore other cultures and try to understand the world from other eyes.

Matthew

The learning environment is small, yet close-knit. Not only is education from the books presented to us, but also by those around us. There's a constant learning bubble around everyone on campus so you're educating yourself wherever you are on campus without really concentrating on the action.

Slow and steady. Just remember to breathe, allow yourself those five extra minutes of sleep, and walk to class knowing you're going to make a difference in society someday.

There's a mass amount of cultural diversity among both the students and the faculty. So much is placed upon being an individual, and I really think Pacific University embodies this motto with not only their means of education, but by personally reaching out to each student as best as they can.

Sara

College is much different than high school. I like going to college, I just don't like the college I chose. Make sure you pick a school that fits your personality and goals, because if you don't your experience will be much like my, regretful.

The instruments in the chemistry department, because there is nothing else that is good about this school!

That there was uneasy tension between the hawaiian and mainland students at this school. And that the finacial aide would NOT cover all of the school's tuition, the school promised scholarships that never came through and DOESN'T accomidate for non-traditional students. I may have to drop out a semester before graduating because no one at that school wants to point me in the direction to get finacial help. And the most importantly, I wish I would have known that this school is more worried about what funds they can bring in than if their students even graduate.

Alex

Most people at this school are very independent and are aware of them selfs

Most people at this school are very independent and are aware of them selfs

College is not as hard as everyone has said. The best way to achieve is to study class notes regularly and keep up on the class readings. Remember that college is a life changing experience that can help mold you into an adult. Participate in activites get out and make friends with your classmates. This should be a fun and enriching time in your life. You just have to learn how to balance the social and educational parts of college. A little time each night of study will go farther than you think to prepare you for the finals. This well be the best time of your life so make the best of it in all the ways you can.

The liberal atmosphere

Alyssa

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to have as much fun as possible, but still always do my best with school work. I would tell myself to find that balance, because learning how to balance your time is so important, especially in college. I would remind myself the importance of building lasting friendships at home and broadening them after graduation. I would say that these are days that I'm never going to get back, but will always remember and wish I could relive, so to soak up every minute of it and conquer all obstacles with a smile.

A lot of drinking takes place on and off campus from what I have observed, and I am not a fan of underaged drinking.

People that attend Pacific University should be studious, but still fun-loving, and not mind rain and cold.

Occationally there are students who are just there because they can afford it and do not care about the education they're receiving, but for the most part the students are excited about what they're learning and enjoy the relationships they build among the on-campus community.

I used a couple websites that made researching my college choices enjoyable. If it's possible, find two or three websites you can trust to use in combination to give you a list of possibilties, and be consistant. I would advise looking through the "Student" part of the school's website, if possible, and browse the courses offered and program requirments to see if there are classes unique to that school that you are interested in. I would also pay close attention to the type of environment offered at that school in terms of average class sizes and the area it is located. For example: I wanted a small school with small class sizes with a lot of opportunities for outdoor activities. Then look into the on campus community and events, and definitely visit the campus once you've narrowed your search, during the school year if you can, to see how it feels for you to walk around campus and talk to the people there. Talk with your friends and see how their research is going, too. Pick the one that feels right for you and try not to let cost be the primary deciding factor.

Aleah

Start your experience with an open mind. That's whats most important. You will experience so many new things but if you keep an open mind than you can ensure yourself of having a much better time.

The most frustrating thing about Pacific is that it's in such a small town and there isn't much to do unless you go into Portland.

Cameron

The best thing about Pacific is the education. I think Pacific challenges most students most of the time and provides a strong liberal arts foundation. However, sometimes you have to consciously choose to take more challenging classes because it is possible to get by on easy "A"s. Most of the professors I had were really awesome and there were a few that I would take their class no matter what they were teaching. The profs care about students' success and make themselves available if students need extra help or just want to chat. I've heard from other students that the study abroad program is a major asset and definitely an important part of their college experience, though I haven't done it myself. The school is very small and the surrounding town is even smaller, so there isn't a lot to do and that seems to be a major complaint. Portland is a 1 hour commute by car, 1.5-2 hour commute on public transport, so people don't go there that often (maybe once a month?). The small size is good in that classes are small and you get to know your professors and classmates well, but it also means that class offerings and other opportunities (internships, extracurriculars) are limited. Some classes only come around once every 3-4 years. Another common complaint is the administration. They can be very inflexible at times and don't always seem to be there for the students, sometimes even becoming an obstacle to a good education. I didn't think that they really support student initiative. I spend most of my time in class, in the UC, or in the library. I actually was commuting from Portland so I didn't experience the same cabin fever/boredom as other students stuck in Forest Grove for 9 months. The campus is very beautiful with lots of hundred-plus-year-old trees and some classic architecture. Nothing is too spread out, so it's easy to get around on foot. (Just bring rainboots)

Most professors knew my name and classes were small enough to facilitate good discussions (under 25 students). My favorite classes were in English, History, and French, and that was largely because of the faculty in those depts. I was disappointed with the Art department even though it was my major (not very conceptual/challenging). Some departments are better than others and have more resources, and also some are more vocationally oriented (exercise science, for example). All of the arts except music (i.e. visual, theatre, dance) need new facilities. I wouldn't say that most students have intellectual conversations with each other outside of class, but I sometimes would with my professors. The amount of studying depended on the difficulty of the course load. I probably averaged 4 hours a day, but I was on the higher end of the spectrum. Some classes have a lot of participation (English Lit) and in some classes it was like pulling teeth. The liberal arts requirements were manageable and helped me foster a love of learning for its own sake. But overall, it seems the main reason students go there is to get a good job later. I hate the recent switch from a 3 credit system to a 4 credit system because you're not able to take as many classes and get in as much breadth. Plus they are severely cutting the amount and variety of class offerings since professors don't have to teach as many. I'm not convinced that the classes will get so much more challenging that taking only 4 will seem like a full load.

The campus isn't exactly a flurry of activity, but there are things going on if you seek them out. There are a few very active extracurriculars/groups that are visible on campus (mentioned above). There are some guest speakers every semester brought in by different departments (Philosophy, Sociology, and Visiting Writers are the main ones). There are definitely weekend parties which involve drinking, but everything seems pretty low-key. Not a ton of arts events; there's usually one mainstage play, one dance showcase, and one choir concert each semester. IMHO, the theatre dept is mediocre, but the music dept seems quite good, especially the Chamber Singers. I haven't been to any dance performances but I know they don't offer Hip Hop or Social Dance classes. There are art shows in the gallery throughout the year and a senior show in May, but that's the only time student work is displayed (and that's the only gallery space). I'd say school spirit is about average. A lot of people play sports but it doesn't seem super competitive and I only really hear about it from the school newspaper. There is Greek life but it doesn't dominate the campus. The Hawaiian Lu'au is an annual tradition that is very well-attended; others include spray painting the spirit bench, Drag night, Pacific Idol, the Tom McCall forum... The only thing I do off-campus is eat at Maggie's Buns or Pizza Shmizza. Forest Grove is a one-horse town. I don't hang out there on the weekends since I live in Portland. It was kinda hard for me to get to know people because I was a transfer student and live off campus, but I met most of my friends in classes where there was a lot of interaction. And you tend to run into the same students in several classes. If I'm up at 2 am on a Tuesday, it's because I procrastinated on a paper... but I'm usually asleep then.

Most people have never heard of Pacific, so they haven't formed stereotypes. If they have heard of it, it's usually in relation to the graduate schools (health stuff). I guess a few trends within the student body are a large percentage of Hawaiians and a lot of students interested in health professions.

Pacific isn't very racially diverse except for the huge influx of Hawaiian students and some of them tend to be self-segregating. I guess the typical student would be white, female, middle class and liberal. Most Pacific students are from Oregon, Hawaii, California, and Washington and I would say most are lower-middle to middle-middle class with exceptions in both directions, so socioeconomic diversity is probably greater than at other private colleges. Religious students seem to be generally accepted here. There is a very active Gender Studies and LGBT club on campus. The student body seems pretty welcoming, but extremely intellectual students would probably feel out of place and wouldn't have enough like-minded students to engage with. Students wear jeans and hoodies to class, it isn't much different than high school in that way. There are pockets of activism (especially environmentalism and social justice) which you can seek out, and overall the school leans left, politically.

Meilehua

Don't think about the price. I know the amount of tuition plays a big factor in where you end up going to school, but if you really want to attend a certain college, go for it. Things tend to work out for the best.

The worse thing about my school has to be the location. Not saying it is totally bad, but it is quite far from town.

Pacific University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.