West Palm Beach, FL
Palm Beach Atlantic University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Palm Beach Atlantic University

PBA is a rather small Christian University. However, the size of it makes the community very close. It is easy to get to know people because you see them everyday, and your professors make a great deal of effort to get to know you. The professors have been one of my favorite aspects of the school. I went to a large public high school in Ohio and I often heard that in college my professors would not care about me. This is not the case at PBA at all! Many of my professors have taken the time to get to know me personally and I know that I have thrived in my education because of this fact. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the many professors I have come to know and love. There are a lot of rules students should know before they come to PBA, because if they do not, they often end up transferring to a different school. There are many, many transfer students (both to and from PBA). Read the Navigator before you decide to come here. There is no sense in being ignorant of the fact that there are rules which PBA expects its students to follow. However, the administration is forgiving and does realize that students make "mistakes". Though students will often be punished for mess-ups, there is an air of forgiveness around campus. PBA is in a constant state of change, which is something nice about the University. We just got a new President, Lou Hardin (who came from Arkansas). This fall we completed our Library, which is absolutely stunning. Recently, we purchased a new building for the Theatre Department (which was sorely needed), and we are in the process of building a new recreation facility with all of our own sports fields. All the change makes me excited about the future of PBA. I hope to see a great deal of expansion after I am graduated. I also love the location of PBA. I originally came here because I wanted to get out of Ohio and wanted to experience something different. The beach is a perk of going to school at PBA, but like I said earlier, everyday life gets in the way most of the time. After living in West Palm Beach for 2 1/2 years I have come to take the area for-granted. I love the fact that PBA is in the city. There are tons of places to rent for students who want to live off-campus, and there are lots of things to do in the city itself. CityPlace (a shopping center in West Palm) is two blocks away from campus and it has a movie theatre, Starbucks, GAP, Victoria's Secret, Barnes and Noble, Macy's, Cheesecake Factory, and also many other things. Every Friday and Saturday CityPlace has live bands performing and there are a lot of really cool restaurants like Taverna Opa's and Carousel. Also, Clematis Street is about five blocks away from PBA and it does have night-life for the "over-21" crowd. Not only that, but on Clematis there is another Starbucks, more restaurants, a brand-new public library, and on Thursdays they do "Clematis by Night" where live local bands perform and local vendors set-up shop in the square. PBA also has things to do on campus. Coffeehouses are one of my favorite campus activities, though it is usually a younger crowd who attends these events. At coffeehouses there are poetry readings, student bands and performers and different themes. I always enjoy seeing the talent of fellow-students which is why I enjoy going to Coffeehouses. Intramurals are HUGE at PBA. They are one of the best ways to meet new people and make new friends. We have a ton of Intramurals, and if we don't have the sport you want, just suggest that they add it to their schedule and they usually make accommodations. Over 1/2 the student body participates in intramurals, and it's people should definitely get involved in.

A majority of students on campus are Christian, but you do not have to be a Christian to go to school at PBA. I actually am friends with a few people who do not identify with the Christian faith. There are also many different denominations on campus, which makes for interesting conversation about religion. I think there is an open atmosphere geared towards discussion at PBA, which I have come to appreciate. I have most certainly grown in my own faith as a result of being at PBA. Though PBA does have a good deal of commuter students, I think commuters have a hard time making friends and getting connected into campus activities as a result of not living on campus. Though there are clubs which make an effort to get commuters connected, it is still rather difficult unless they have lived on campus for a semester or two. A lot of people look nice when going to class. Girls especially usually have a full face of make-up and their hair done nicely. It's easier here though, because it is warm for most of the year. I would say PBA is a mostly middle-class to upper-middle class and above kind of school. This is due mainly to the fact that it is a private institution. It is easier for residents of Florida to be able to afford the education than it is for people from out-of-state.

If you're looking for a party school, PBA will not be the best choice for you. I think a lot of people come in with the wrong attitude, which is why some end up transferring out. There are certainly things to do during the weekends here, and you don't have to look hard to find them. The people here really are great. I have made friends that I will have for the rest of my life, which is a HUGE reason why I would never want to transfer. It's not hard to meet new people and make new friends because the school is smaller in size. It is very easy to get involved in different things around campus, and if you do, you will sincerely enjoy your experience at PBA. You will also grow in your faith during the time you spend here, even if you aren't really trying to. The people who surround you have the power to influence you, and there are many students here who are good influences.

No. Though there are a lot of white students at PBA, we're certainly not all rich (even though there may be a couple of those...). And though we do live near the beach, we're not all beach bums either. Everyday life tends to get in the way of constantly being at the beach. I do have to admit that I was there VERY often my first semester at PBA. Now I just take it for-granted.

The professors are great at PBA! They know your name, and you are never invisible in a class. The class sizes are small. The largest class I have had at PBA was about 50 students. I've had a History class with about 10 (which was awesome!). I never feel afraid to ask a question or get involved in class, because most students are pretty active. It is easy to connect with professors outside of the classroom. You can stay after class and chat, go to their office during hours, or send them an e-mail to set-up an appointment. You see professors walking around campus all the time, and often they are walking with their students. It's nice to see that the professors here value their relationships with their students. PBA also has some great elective choices, Scuba, for example. Right now I am in an Intro to Latin Dance class, which is a ton of fun! I absolutely love the Communication Department at PBA, mostly because of the professors. I feel like I am actually engaged in what I am learning and am able to apply what I have learned in the classroom to everyday life. Some of the courses I have enjoyed were: Interpersonal Communication (where you learn about relationships, among many other things), Gender Communication, and Non-Verbal Communication.

Sailfish Cup is a huge new-tradition on campus. It's only about three years or four years old, but it's hosted by Campus Recreation and Intramurals. It's a competition between Dorms over the course of a weekend that involves sporting events, board game competitions, and Lip-Sync (which is the most popular event... you can find performances on YouTube), among other things. This is by far one of my favorite weekends of the year. Live on campus for at least a year! If you do not, you will have a hard time feeling like you are a part of the community here. The girl to guy ratio is rumored to be pretty terrible. I don't know if it's all true, but I have been single almost my entire time at PBA. Many people who go here are in pretty serious relationships and it's not uncommon to hear of about a hundred weddings during the spring and summer. It's certainly not uncommon to have married or engaged students in your classes. There is no Greek life on campus, and if you're awake on Tuesday at 2 am you are either studying or writing papers. Not many students attend athletic events unless it's actually on-campus.

A lot of people think that because PBA is in an extremely affluent area, that all the students who go here are rich and white. Also, many have the idea that we are all beach bums who don't actually care about our education.

Cameron

The best thing about PBA is the Christian community throughout the campus. PBA is just the right size. Small enough to have community and large enough to still meet new people all the time.

Everybody at PBA is just down to earth and cool. All the students just seem to get along pretty well. All students interact and have a good time with each other.

This is not true there are some pasty students at PBA, not all students spend every spare minute at the beach. Infact some should probably spend more time at the beach.

The professors at PBA know each students name. General Psychology is the best class in the world. Students at PBA generally study about 2 to 3 hours per day.

The most popular organizations, clubs and teams are the sports teams, Impact Leadership Team, Lacrosse, Club Volleyball etc. I met my closest friends at PBA during welcome week and the following weeks. Two of my best friends live in the same dorm as me.

People generally assume that all PBA students are tan.

Grace

The advice that I would give myself would be fairly simple: to keep doing what you're doing, because you're going to end up in the right place. Don't worry or stress about it, because you picked the college that you were meant to attend.

it was a perfect fit for me because it was 20,000 better than high school and without the drama, and a good surrounding christian environment

anyone who wants to have a great time at school in a christian environment

Jenny

Palm Beach Atlantic University is a multi-denominational University with a little over 3,000 students attending PBA. Our average class size is 25 and our student to teacher ratio is 15:1. The area is gorgeous! We are in walking distance of the beach- The Palm Beach Island. Palm Beach is one of the wealthiest Islands in the nation. Also in walking distance is City Place. City Place is like an outdoor mall with big brand shops, ice cream shops, smoothie shops, IMAX theatre, live music on certain nights, Publix, Barnes N Noble, Starbucks, and many other fun things. It’s great for entertainment but also for job hunting! There are a lot of on-campus activities too. It's hard to get plugged in when you're a commuter. I recommend living on campus if you're able to. The most frequent student complaint is the lack of parking spots.

There isn't a huge variety of culture at PBA or I haven't encountered it in my 2 years attending. I think a poor, international, unintelligent, anything but Christian, and portly student would feel out of place at PBA. Most PBA students are from Florida, Michigan, and New Jersey.

It was and still sometimes is very hard to get plugged in at PBA. Be assertive, confident, and friendly in order to make friends ... I'll pray for you. :) Also, even when you do make the friends be aware of the fact that many students transfer out...then the same amount transfer in from other schools.

I must say that not all students that come to PBA are wealthy. In fact, I am a perfect example. It was almost impossible for my family to afford me living on campus. However, it is a blessing to say that I live on campus now. As far as the Fake Jesus Freaks go, we are all fallen. period. For those of us that are real Jesus Freaks, there isn't anything wrong with it. Don't be ashamed...ever.

The professors are very caring and really want to see their students succeed. Professors will know your name and you won't be just a number. In fact, the academics and professors are my favorite parts of PBA! Someone I know graduated with an Accounting and Finance major. Within a year of graduation, he became the CFO of a local design firm…because of his professor’s encouragement and trust in his work ethic.

A popular club at PBA is ILT (Impact Leadership Team). We've had Mike Huckabee and Francis Chan come to speak for chapel. Pretty Awesome! Ever heard of "Ring by Spring"? Come to PBA and you'll hear it a lot. It basically means that almost everyone is engaged by their senior spring semester.

PBA students have been stereotyped as rich and cliquey. Because PBA is a multi-denominational school with 98% of the student body being Christian, students are either said to be Jesus Freaks or Fake Jesus Freaks.

Don't transfer, get involved and study hard. DO A REAL INTERNSHIP!

Don't transfer, get involved and study hard. DO A REAL INTERNSHIP!

Get involved. Have fun. Study Hard. Don't slack. Don't party hard. Enjoy life in college: 4 years is NOT that long!

Getting more money for school, but hey...that's everyone's problem everywhere! Stay on campus only if you can deal with bad food.

Anthony

Palm Beach Atlantic University is a great place to meet great people who you will want to stay friends with for the rest of your life; the professors are awesome and some of the classes really challenge you.

PBAU is unique in the fact that it is a Christian college, yet one does not need to be a Christian to enroll; it is very liberal in that it is less traditional than a lot of Christian schools.

Make sure that, for one, the school has the major you want to pursue. Also, try to choose a school where you are more than a number; small class sizes are great for getting your own ideas challenged and growing through the Socratic process. Make sure the social environment is bareable; you'll be stuck with these people for a while. Cho0se a school that makes you do things hands on; taking that step of faith is necessary and emboldening. When you get to that school, be open to meet new people and at least listen to new ideas. Don't accept every idea that comes by. Be your own person and challege those things. Be serious about work, but don't hide yourself away socially. Stay focused: decide what your goal are, and do what needs to be done to reach them because it is easy to get sidetracked in the plethora of social activities. If you are undecided, don't worry; it's not that you are unmotivated or lazy, it's that you like so much of everything that you don't know what to chose. Don't procrastinate.

Brett

As a student who works in the admissions office of my school, I cannot stress enough to any prospective college student and his or her parents the importance of visiting the schools you are interested in and speaking with admissions counselors (or even deans) about what you're interested in. Be sure to ask if you can sit in on a class, because that will give you a great idea about what the experience will be like. These things are absolutely crucial, because almost any college will sound perfect for you on paper, so the onus is on you to visit and decide for yourself if it actually IS your dream school. Besides, there are a lot of admissions staff as well as financial aid people that will look at your file and call you less interested than other prospectives if you haven't visited. The more interested you are, the more money you'll be likely to get, because you'll be in what they would call the targeted group.

I really wish I had known that people absolutely don't care what you're wearing unless you look like crap every day. You're all in the same boat, and it's not like you have to be a fashion icon... you're just going to class.

Although there aren't many bad things about PBA, I will say that there is quite a legalistic mentality here. People can be very quick to judge your entire religious outlook based on very little.

Chelsea

The majority of my classmates are conservative, white, wealthy students who are friendly and enthusiastic about their social life, even if that means their academic career may suffer.

PBA is best known for its location. The beach is within walking distance and it takes two minutes to drive there. The weather is very nice almost all the time, and who wouldn't want to live in sunny Florida all schoolyear? West Palm Beach is also ideal for shopping and has various nightlife activities available which appeals to many college students. Easily, my school is known best for its perfect location of the city, beach, and weather.

College is what you make it. Of course, everyone has preferences as to where they would like to go and where they wouldn't want to be. If you find a school that you're excited to attend, bring that attitude with you when you head to college! There is no other feeling like the excitement that goes along with going to college. Once you arrive at the school, be yourself and get involved. Whether it's small activities or something big such as playing a sport, put yourself in places that will cause you to meet new people. The community feeling of a university is created because of the fact that people know each other and are involved with their school. The experience of college can be extremely rewarding once you choose to make yourself happy and excited about being at school.Friendships that you make in college will be the ones that you cherish for years. My personal experience in college has been amazing because of the friends that I've made. Those are the friends that will know you most intimately and get you through. If you want to make the most of college,make your mark.

Richard

The best part of PBA for me is the “family” atmosphere that develops on campus between students and also with faculty. Although it is not a requirement for admission, and all individuals are accepted equally regardless of religious background, the fact that most people on campus are professed Christians helps to build this community. We are united in our beliefs and values. My high school back in Orlando is a few hundred students larger than PBA, at first I thought this would be a problem, but quickly I realized that even if there are fewer students I still could not dream to know everyone on campus. Each student is on their own schedule, balancing their own extracurricular activities with off or on campus jobs and homework. It is very easy to make friends at PBA and there is a core of student leaders who are involved with most aspects of campus but I always see new faces and can make new friends daily.

PBA is a Christian University with faith based rules and regulations that all students are required to follow. That being said, I believe that PBA is a very welcoming and including environment. As with all areas of life people tend to group with people who are like minded and have the same interests. I do not think at all that PBA is cliquey. Many different groups seem to interact with each other at different events. A lot of the grouping has to do with freshman resident hall placement. People tend to remain close friends with people whom they lived with freshman year. It is very easy to make friends in classes and at the various social events on campus, especially on the off chance that you acquire a roommate whom you do not completely get along with.

Although based somewhat on real life experiences, this stereotype is not completly accurate. The beach is a very important part of the life of a PBA student but it is not everything. I myself do not surf and could not play a single chord on the guitar.

PBA is a great place academically. Class sizes are small and professors remember your name long after you have finished the specific class with them. Most classes have some sort of class participation built in that allows for a more productive learning environment. Professors understand that each student has a unique and valid prospective that can bring enlightenment to the class. I would highly recommend all prospective students to look into the Supper Honors Program at PBA. This is a great program that encourages learning through discussion of the great primary texts throughout history. Your textbooks are great works like Plato’s “Republic”, Karl Marx’s “Communist Manifesto”, Homer’s “Odyssey”, Shelley’s “Frankenstein” and anything and everything in-between. The professors in the Honors College are some of the best at the school and they truly care about their students. Many great relationships and lifelong friends will be developed between classmates in this great program. The professors I am involved in with my Pre-Health Biology major are excellent. The largest classes at PBA are taught by science professors and can be as big as 75 students. Even in a class that size the professor still is able to remember your name and face and makes the learning personal to you. Most of the upper level courses have much smaller numbers of students. I plan on entering Medical School once I graduate from PBA in May 2010 and I am sure that I will be ready. The required courses for Biology majors are definitely very hard, but they should be especially if the student is considering a future Medical degree. Foreign language is another of my many interests. The Spanish Minor at PBA is an excellent one, and is growing rapidly in the institution. I believe that if a person is to be successful in Florida, especially south Florida, the person needs to have a solid understanding of the Spanish language. The PBA Spanish department gives you a comprehensive understanding of the language and prepares you to enter the world fluent.

PBA has numerous clubs and organizations to get involved with. They range from political organizations such as College Republicans and Democrats, to clubs around a specific major like Science or History club, to community service and social clubs. I am currently the president of the College Republican club on campus. We are a active club on campus, especially during elections, that works very closely with Republican candidates in the West Palm area and throughout the Nation. PBA is a very friendly place and the college Republicans and Democrats, although we disagree greatly, still get along well. Many of my close friends would not align themselves with my political ideals but that is what makes PBA a great place, people from differing backgrounds coming together in respectful conversation. I learn just as much outside class from my roommates and friends as I do in class. West Palm Beach is a great place to go to school. Being in a downtown environment there are numerous things to do within walking distance from campus. The beach is the most important one for most students and is within a mile from campus. Any given Saturday, if not every day, you will find most of your friends at the beach. City Place is an outdoor mall, located a few blocks from campus with tons of restaurants, shops, and a movie theater. It provides ample entertainment for PBA students on the weekends or on a Tuesday night when you just need to get away.

Many people would stereotype all PBA students to be beach bum surfers who all play the guitar.

Vanessa

PBA is a Christian university located in downtown West Palm Beach, FL. The campus is very pretty and fairly small. There are about 2400 daytime undergraduate students, and I really like the benefits of attending a small school. I think it's really easy to find a place on campus, and get involved in one of the many extracurricular clubs. There are all different kinds of clubs, such as the Carribean Club, College Democrats and Rebulicans, Student Missions, Science Club, Intramural and Club sports, and the many other student ministries. The transition of moving away from home to a new city was very easy at PBA, althought I am only 2.5 hours from home. The school does a lot to help you to get to know other students and feel at home. I became very good friends with the girls that lived on my hall and I am still friends with most of them now, four years later.

PBA is a very welcoming university. We are a Christian university, so we do have standards and rules that are different than state school's. Not everyone that goes to PBA is a Christian though, and you do not have to be one to apply to go here. From my experiences, students from all different groups interact with each other, but there are still some cliques. I think that people tend to find a group of people that have similar interests or views and stick with them. I am the type of person that loves to meet new people and have friends with different views, and I know a lot of other people at PBA that are like that. It is not a particularily clique-y school and different groups interact with each other all the time.

This stereotype is somewhat true, but not everyone surfs (myself being a non-surfer) and there are a lot of students that don't even enjoy the beach. Most people do like to spend their free time out in the sun though.

I love that PBA is a small school, so that I am able to get to know my professor's and they know me by name. The class sizes range from around 10 students to 70 or more if they are lecture classes. My favorite class right now is my Advanced Conversation Spanish class. The teacher is very friendly and we do a lot of fun things to practice and improve on our Spanish speaking skills. Most professors at PBA get to know their students and are willing to give extra help in order that their students can succeed. PBA is a liberal arts university Christian, so you are required to take some courses that are not for your specific major. I enjoyed these classes though, because I think that they give me a more well-rounded education.

Student Missions is definitely one of the most popular groups on campus. Our school has a very big missions program, and they send students to over 20 countries during spring break and the summer. Going on a mission trip is a great way to experience God in another country, and worship in a way that is completely new and different than what you're used to. I went to Mexico my freshman year, and to Germany during the summer of 2007. Both trips were amazing opportunities for me to grow closer to God and to serve other Christians. Student activities plans a lot of fun events throughout the year. One of my favorite events are the Coffeehouses. Coffeehouse is an event that happens only a few times a semester, where students gather and there is free coffee and snacks and live music. Some of the Coffeehouses are themed, and some of them are open-mic. I love going to hear the music and hangout with friends.

A lot of students come to PBA for the beach, being that is in walking distance from campus. This lends itself to the steretype that a lot of PBA students are surfers and beach bums.

Palm Beach Atlantic University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.