Palomar College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Palomar College

Maximillan

Great school for those looking for a stepping stone in life, education, or career progression. I remember graduating high school with zero ambition and even less money. Fortunately, I had parents that pushed me to get off the couch and pursue a degree before inevitably joining the military. Loved every second of it.

Kenya

Palomar college is an amazing school. Not only has it provided me with the education I need to further my career in nursing; but also helps me understand what to look for in my career and life in general. The school environment is wonderful and so are the professors, I would highly recommend this school!

Madisyn

I love Palomar College. I feel safe at this school. People are super friendly. I thought because this is a community school I would feel odd and left out because theres a lot of people trying to earn a these different degrees but the truth is everyone there is super friendly. The campus life is serious and the people there are there to learn. I believe it is much different than a 4-year because people are there because they want to, its not something they are doing because they are lost. I also love how affordable it is too. The staff is amazing! They are nothing like high school teachers, they expect you to attend class and learn. They will do their best to help you but you also need to help yourself. If you are a discipline and proactive person Palomar is perfect for you.

Abigail

Palomar is a community college that feels safe, provides a quality education, and contains a friendly atmosphere. It is a great school for aspiring athletes who are planning on transferring to a four year university. Athletics is a huge part of the school and many opportunities are provided for student athletes. The campus is beautiful and recent construction makes parking readily available for commuters. There is a great variety of food options in the food court and there are many tables around campus to eat lunch, study, etc. Overall, Palomar is a great school to receive a general education and to prepare for future transfer.

Cassandra

I'm a Freshman this year, technically, but I've been taking classes almost every semester since my Sophomore year of High School. The San Marcos campus is surprisingly gorgeous, with plenty of quiet nooks and crannies to study in. So far, I've never had a bad experience with a teacher. They're all very cool and caring, and many of them also teach at CSUSM. It's a little hard to make new friends, since everyone's schedules are whack (some work part-time, others take mostly night classes, etc.) but everyone I've met is very nice and there are plenty of clubs to join. The only downside I can think of, thus far, is that it feels more like high school 2.0 than a college sometimes. However despite this, I don't think Palomar deserves the bad rap that most community colleges have. I honestly love it here!

Kimberly

I love it. They have many resources that help me all the time. I found out I had a learning disability from them testing me. With knowing and their help I feel more confident in classes. There is help whoever you need it. I do wish they would advertise or tell students so they get help too.

Kann

I find myself feeling very comfortable on campus and welcomed by other students and the staff. Every professor I’ve come in contact with have office hours readily available, which makes it very encouraging to seek help when needed. Class sizes are small in size which also provides for an intimate and calm environment.

Noemi

I love it, they are here to help you, especially if you are like me (who has messed up in college before).

Danika

Palomar College is a great community college if you know how to utilize your time spent there. I had a great time and made plenty of friends; however, if you are just taking classes just to take a class, you will get lost. I had a difficult time with a consistent Academic Advisor -- the one I did like the most never followed up with me. If you are looking at a four-year college versus a two-year college, my suggestion, go four year, it's easier in the long run for you.

Jocelyn

Not a bad school no on-campus housing and finding a parking space can be crazy sometimes. There is also a train station near by for those students that don't have cars. The class sizes vary some are forty or in the thirty's. The food is decent but nothing special. There are a lot of clubs and events that go on on-campus.

Junjie

My overall opinion of Palomar College is that it is a very nice college to attend to because I have been there once for the summer class, which is Chinese 101. The teacher was very friendly and kind, she treated every individuals equally and respectively. She also made the course more interesting and easier for the students, which allows the students to have passion about the course that they chose to study for. Mostly, the professors I had in this campus are great.

Bryan

My overall opinion of Palomar College is that the institution has state of the art buildings and accommodations and feels like no other community college. I was accepted to Grand Canyon University but could not attend due to financial reasons but this has been a great alternative. There are study areas, cafeteria, and hiking trails. It has the four-year​ college structure but the community aspect of a two year.

Yostina

It is a lovely school. Most of the professors are willing to help their students to achieve success. I am also not a socialized person even though I have until now 10 friends I made this year. Students over there are very friendly. I am so glad to be in Palomar college. Above all, the campus is very comfortable to study in it. I also want to point out that it has a very nice buildings and a good size of classrooms.

Cristina

Palomar College in my opinion is one of the best Community College here in California. They have a great education and you also get to meet a lot of people. Its sometimes hard to find a place where you can learn a lot and retain a lot and also have a social life with your classmates

Carolina

Palomar college is a a safe place for diversity and individuality. When stepping on campus, right off the bat you can feel how accepting and kind everyone is. We love to stay focused on our curriculum, however we also like to be a part of more than just curriculum. There are many programs, activities, and fairs going on all around campus. It varies from service learning events to an event offering help to someone who might be in danger of suicide. It's more than just a community college. Palomar challenges you and prepares you for what the future might bring. And all in the meanwhile it makes you a more generous and considerate person, as well as bringing out your originality.

Cassie

I'm a new student, and I'm only taking one class on-campus this semester. Additionally, I am not taking any classes at the main campus. With these qualifiers, I would say that Palomar is a higher-quality community college. The campuses are better-looking, the people are nicer, and the academics are better than the other local community college I took dual enrollment classes with.

Lanay

I really like my school. I have to say that is is big for it just being a community college. I have yet to explore the whole campus but from where I've been, I have to say that it's nice. I went to the library days ago and I really like the structure of it. The inside is neat and quiet like it's supposed to be. It's a great school and has made me feel welcomed. There are great opportunities at school. The teachers are amazing and are really nice. I love it and cannot wait until I get more involved at school. I really do think that anyone who comes here will have fun.

Shovan

my opinion about palomar college was that it was a great experience and i love and going to miss it. i have also joined many clubs and the associated student government. the most important of all i have made a huge impact at palomar that i will continue bring that awesome impact at cal state san marcos.

Kenneth

I am currently a student going through the Fire Science programs at Palomar college. I realize that the Fire Protection major is not your typical art or science major. For the Fire Protection major, the main goal of the curriculum is job placement. The instructors that teach are all relative to the job and therefore considered a valuable resource, especially if one is seeking employment in the neighboring area.

natalie

Coming from a big university to a small community college I was a bit scared about the academics. I thought that classes wouldnt be as serious at palomar but I was extremely wrong. All of my professors are amazing and are always available if I need them. They have helped me decide on my major and have made me feel like a confident student. Palomar is a great place and professors are truly amazing.

Marissa

A great place to experiment and test the waters in a variety of subjects. Also get those general classes out of the way at a cheap rate!! Enjoyed my year here after changing my major from science to art my first year away at university. I really appreciated the freedom this school gave me and the attention given by the professors.

liliana

Palomar College is very welcoming to all adults and races. It encourages succes for its students. Their is many centers that help out the students apply for financial help, jobs, safety centers and health. The college staff really cares about its students and wants the best for them. You can find helpat every corner for any questions you ned. The staff is well knowledgeable of all events and places the students shoul know. The college i also a very friendly ambient. Everyone seems to get along and not be discrimanatory.

Alesandra

I have been a student at Palomar for several years now and have enjoyed my experience immensely. Through my time here I've had amazing teachers who are both knowledgeable and passionate, care about their students, and want to see you succeed. There are so many opportunities to find what studies suit you and your needs and they offer a wide selection of classes to choose from. The campus is located in the heart of San Marcos and is nearby a great selection of eateries, unique shops, and even places to hike for those who love the outdoors!

Jeffrey

Palomar College (San Marcos and Escondido) are fantastic community colleges for you to earn your degree with great professors, an amazing curriculum and students that are willing to help each other. I myself have an Associates Degree of Graphic Communications from Palomar San Marcos and not once did I feel I was truly struggling, with professors or classmates always ready to assist me.

Ashton

Palomar College has been a pleasant institution to attend. Have had some issues with counseling and other departments but for the most part it can be worked out. Definitely satisfied with my 2 year education. Wish professors were more hands on. Overall a good school! Would recommend!

nathan

I believe it is a proper community college and it is a very nice facility, although I don't feel like a college student on campus. The environment of the campus feels more like high school than a college. The one thing that is different is that the teachers do treat me like an adult which is a nice change.

Madison

I believe that Palomar is a good community college. And that if you want to be involved then it would be easy for you to get involved. Most of the professors are fairly easy to understand and understand their guidelines. If you are super focused on transferring to a university then I would definitely recommend this college to someone as a starter college.

Natalie

It's a great community college with great professors. It saves a lot of money and is a great transition into a 4-year university! The campus is nice because it isn't too large or spread out, making everything easily accessible. From my experience, the students are friendly but since it is a communit college, students commute and aren't very active within the school..

Patrick

I really loved my time at Palomar. All of the professors that I had are extremely good at their jobs and are highly successful in their own fields. And better yet, they were just good people. Very down-to-earth, approachable, supportive, kind, and interesting to talk to. A chunk of the campus has been renovated relatively recently, so that's also nice. My only complaint is that they haven't gotten around to my department (the art department building) yet. But the building matters less than the content of the program, and that's where the art department shines. Their equipment is all up-to-date and high quality, the critiques are extremely informative, and there are a lot disciplines to explore. If you're willing to put in the work to develop your skills as an artist, this program will elevate you. Overall, a great experience.

I feel Palomar College is a great Community College to get your GED, especially as a STEM major. Our Physics program is hard but helps push students to the limits. I have some bad professors, but I’ve also had some great professors. There is a variety of people across campus and it makes me feel safe to be in such a diverse environment.

Xochitl

It's a great community college. There is a good amount of clubs and sports to join but you can't find them unless you ask for them. The school's library is really nice along with the new buildings they've added throughout the years. It's easy for commuters to attend this college since they have three other campuses besides their main one. I have yet to encounter a bad professor at this college!

Joshua

It's a good initial institution for those transitioning from high-school to college, but it's less than desirable for the gifted student or the student in honor academics or high level academic achievements like mathematical competitions and ect.

MYKAH

It's a good community college for those pursuing STEM majors. Whereas you may not stumble upon very much intellectual opportunities, Palomar's prices and academic discounts or financial waiving when available help a student trying to obtain an affordable education climb towards their goals.

Alexa

I have to admit, I was a bit wary of attending a community college after attending such an academically competitive high school. Going to a community college was frowned upon by my high school classmates, where more students from Del Norte High School would go off to attend an Ivy League than they would community college. I did not know what to expect on my first day of community college, or any college for that matter. Now that I just finished my first year at Palomar, I couldn't be happier. I am so happy that I attended Palomar College to get my associates degree. Looking back, it's hard for me to comprehend that some people choose to spend thousands of dollars at a university when they could go here instead. Palomar college is affordable (free for first year students) and you get the same education- or even better than at a university. All professors are extremely knowledgable on the subjects they teach. All professors have at least a MA but most have a PhD. The student life is extremely diverse, and it seems to represent society better than a university. I have met middle schoolers, ex-convicts, single mothers, and the average 18 year old. But everyone attends Palomar for the same reason. Palomar College is a great school and anyone looking to get a higher education should go here!

Palomar College is a community college, so it's pretty easy to get in. The classes are relatively easy, teachers are amiable and easy graders. It's easy cause it's a community college and the competition is not very high. It's a good college, but mainly for those who find it an easier than other colleges.

Maggie

A good community college that will help you on your way to transferring to a University or any other goals you may have. Professors are knowledgable about their field and often willing to stay after class if you need to speak with them for any reason.

Crystal

I would rate this college pretty good overall. Student services was never a bad experience and staffed with people that are really friendly and helpful. The college has been growing substantially over the last couple of years. Classes fill up fast due to the high enrollment rates.

Corel

I really enjoyed my time here. I think the teachers are great if you pick the right one for your learning style and they really are helpful in the counseling department. I always felt that I could turn to teachers and ask for help when I needed it as well as having counselors who really helped me get on the path toward transferring.

Payton

Im a brand new student and so far every question i have had has been answered quickly and amazingly. I have had nothing but an amazing experience so far and cannot wait to further my education here in the Paramedic classes. Its close to home and the drive is easy.

Mary

I think it is an excellent school to start your college journey at. Helpful people, clean campus, and some very good teachers. There are several campus clubs/teams to join if looking for a community, but overall it is not the place to go if you're looking for a full on "college experience".

liliana

Palomar College has a great campus. It is in a beautiful city and is a very accessible school altogether. My experience has always been pleasant. I currently work for the school. This school has provided me with literally everything I need. The campus itself has always been a pleasant place to spend time. It is well put together.

Natalie

Palomar college is a really great community college. I feel very safe when walking on campus. The atmosphere is very relaxed. Although the college is lacking a bit in the food court and language department. They cut back on the foreign language department.

I love Palomar College. The professors I've had have spanned the spectrum from very easy going to ball busting difficult. It's best to check their rating and reviews on RateMyProfessor.com before signing up for a class. I've formed lasting friendships with both faculty and students and will always love this campus for its diversity and inclusivity.

Karin

Palomar College is a great school. It is the local community college in San Marcos, California, and is very accessible to the surrounding communities. Anyone who wants to earn a degree, or simply take a few classes, is able to attend at a very affordable price, and they still provide many opportunities for those who are in situations that would normally prevent them from going to college. This is especially important since it's surrounded by both low and high income communities. The campus itself is beautiful, and the buildings and facilities are a very good quality. Palomar also has a lot of great professors that are very knowledgeable about their field, and are often available to help students succeed in their studies. Palomar College is a great school, whether as the start of a college career or at any point in life, and I'm glad for the time that I've been able to attend this school.

Jorge

Overall Palomar is not bad, I would even say it's pretty good. all the teachers I had were good, but too be fair I only go with the top rated teacher in whatever class I chose to take. the food not bad but it's not great either but I had worse. The teachers in the NS building are fed up with laptop so they are banned.

Preston

I think it is a great facility with numerous clubs and classes on campus with some very bright, kind, and helpful teachers & faculty. I think all of the new buildings that are being made on campus are great additions, that are to the students benefit for the reason that they have more updated spaces and more cutting edge technology being provided.