Champaign, IL
Parkland College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Parkland College

Mia

I believe Parkland was a great choice for me because I wasn't ready for a huge university of classes that can get up to 100+ students at once, where the professor may or may not know your name.. It's a slow transition where everyone knows everyone, you can relate to other students and faculty and I love it.

This is my first semester at Parkland College and, already, I have only positive things to say about the school. When I stepped inside the entrance to the main building, I was nervous and questioning my sanity for thinking I could handle a full load of classes. Despite this hesitation, I walked in and found that the staff was extremely friendly and ready to help with anything I needed to get through that rough first day. Since then, the staff continues to always be available and ready to help me with anything I struggle with.

muriel emma

Parkland is a great place for people to get an education while saving a lot of money. It's a geat place to get to know new people and have a great start with college. It offers various activities where student can get involved and have fun. It helps you to prepare for university.

Miigan

Dear Miigan, You have had a tough run of it, but that's okay because you are finally getting yourself sorted out and on your way to true independance. Instead of desperately trying to live-up to other people's expectations of what you should be and how fast you should do it, take your time and figure out who you are first. Don't let other people define you. Deciding what you want to do with the rest of your life is tough choice, takes a lot of time, and only you should be making it - after all you are going to be living your life. If you allow someone to live vicariously though you or try to be something for someone, you are ultimately setting yourself up for failure. Just be true to yourself and you'll figure it out. On your way to it: work at lots of different jobs, meet lots of people, travel if you can with your foreign lanugage class (or any other opportunity that gets you away), volunteer with children and the elderly, read science fiction once in a while instead of constantly reading text books (trust me, you'll love Blade Runner).

It is one huge building, which makes it kind of hard to navigate. Even though it can seem daunting to get around Parkland, the building is beautiful, with lots of new additions.

Parkland is a great school and can offers students a top notch education and experience. Students get lots of one on one time with their instructors and have many other facutly and staff members to guide them through school. There are many resources avaialbe to the students to ensure their success and lots of places to study on campus.

Katherine

My school is best known for their high rate of success and the high rated professors in which, some are actually University of Illinois professors. Also, my shcool had a great tutoring program which is know as the Academic for Success department. Students can get a job as a tutor in this department and in addition get their homework done at the same time. Lastly, my school is known for their cost or tuition for being reasonable for a middle class student.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice that I would give myself, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, would be in regards to the many challenges that I have overcome as well as the ones that I am still facing today. In other words, there are many professors out there that think differently about students with learning disabilities and see them as a burden to their classroom. However, some professors and faculty are compassionate and will go out of their way to assist you. For instance, I am privileged to have wonderful support from the staff at the Parkland Disabilities Services as they influenced me in becoming a stronger and successful college student. Overall, in the end, there are many challenges in which you will face but if you work hard and believe in yourself, than anything is possible. Your journey can only be what you make of it, so defend your rights as a student and prove others wrong that anyone can accomplish their goals, even you.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are not many clubs or groups for students to get involved with. In a students point of view, you really don't meet knew people or make friends, only when you are in class. Also, the other frustrating thing about my school is that the activities that take place you never here about until after they are over. Therefore, you can't even get invovled with the different assemblies or activities.

Alexandria

The best advice I would give to myself is take all the math courses as possible, start looking into colleges early, visit the campus, and pick the career that makes you must happiest than choicing one that you'll make a lot of money in. I realize now everything I didn't do or take in high school is really reflexing on my future now. Being a year out of school and 20 years old I finally know what I really want to do with my life I wanted to be a veterinarian because I love animals and want to save their lives. I would rather deal with animals who can't speak than to try to handle humans who can through a bottle of pills at me being a Pharmacist. The best advice is do what makes you must happy because money is everything.

Richelle

My school has a reputation and a foundation built by providing great education and has high standard in graduating students from Parkland successfully, the teachers, the students, the classrooms are all praiseworthy.

My classmate are from all around the world, the enerygy is so positive and there is a lot of creativity that flows from the diverse environment.

As a high school senior I told myself, "work before play." If I could go back in time to my senior year of high school which would be in the year 2004, I would remind myself of that crucial phrase. I would tell myself that second chances are not always given, so give it all that you have on your first try. Always put your best foot forward, because you are stepping into a very "adult" world. There is very little room for mistakes and those would be mistakes that will cost you not only your money but also your time. Entering into college takes commitment, dedication, and much responsibility. You alone are responsible for making good grades, maintaining a high GPA and setting your own personal and educational goals. Prioritize your commitments. Study hard. Get in the habit of doing so. Make it a vital part of your everyday living. You will get out of college what you put into it. Get involved with student activities. Take time for yourself to recharge because it is possible to get burnt out. Always keep a positive attitude and learn from your mistakes. Ask for help when needed, someone will be wiling!

Katrina

I still live with my parents, so I have not had the "college shock" that many people face. However, going to a large community college has opened my eyes to diversity- cultural, racial, religious, etc. If I had to choose one thing to say to myself as a high school senior, it would be "Figure out who you are, and be confident in that!" Too many students have not established an identity and are looking EVERYWHERE to find out who they are, only to be confused when either every place seems enticing or when every place makes them uncomfortable. I can see myself as a high school senior, telling myself, "I can PICK who I want to be when I get to college! I can be high maintenance, or do I want to be a farm girl? Should I be a geek or pretend I don't care." I confused myself when I wasn't confident in "myself."

Parkland College is open to nearly anyone who applies. It has such a diverse student body (smart and not so smart, beautiful and not so beautiful, confident and not so confident, etc). Anyone who needs help with their self-image should come to Parkland. "Different" is allowed!

The most frustrating thing about school is when teachers give you a textbook and say, "Have fun reading." I understand that students are required to learn on their own, but the teachers are there for a reason: to help students in the process of learning!

Valerie

If I could go back and give my High School self advice it would be to take a year of school to decided what I want to study and ensure I complete a Bachelors Degree. when ready. I was undecided with that I wanted to do as a profession out of high school. When the post secondary program that I had applied to didn't accept me I continued to take another program that did for the sole reason because I felt I should be at a post secondary institution. I ended up dropping out a semester and a half later only to obtain an associates degree years later. Being where I am in life now, taking a year off school to decide what I wanted to pursue and then obtain my degree would have helped me to progress to where I want to be in my career now. I would also suggest taking a year off to myself high school self because high school and college are two very different experiences. Living on my own for a year and preparing myself for the life style of a college student would have been very beneficial for me.

Alexis

My school is a diverse community college full of individuals from different backgrounds.

Going back in time and talking to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to do better my whole senior year. After I got accepted into Parkland College, I had the "I don't care" attitude because I knew I was already accepted into a college. I would go back and tell myself to try harder in all my classes even if they were considered "blow off classes". I would also prepare myself for the transition from high school to college by visiting a college campus and getting the feel of how a college works. I would advise myself to talk to some college students to get their views on the transition from high school to college so i'd be prepared. I would also advise myself to communicate with my high school advisor better and more often. I would talk to her about my college choices and fields of study.

My high school was in a small community where everyone knew eachother. It's nice to attend a bigger college where everyone is different and from different cultures. It's nice to socialize with people from different backgrounds and learn about their lifestyles.

Parkland College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.