Oakland, CA
Patten University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Patten University

Tanya

Patten university is closing down according to their website. From their site: "Transition Message The National University System (NUS), a network of private non-profit universities and national leader in adult education, has acquired the award-winning learning platform and online curriculum that was developed by UniversityNow, the social venture that is Patten University’s corporate parent. Patten University has decided to not seek reaffirmation of its current accreditation and over the next several months will teach out its current student body. Current online University students will have the opportunity to transfer to a comparable program at John F. Kennedy University, an NUS affiliate, or other universities with which Patten University has entered into transfer agreements. In addition, Patten University will no longer be accepting online enrollments. If you have any questions, please feel contact us using the link above."

Sheree

Great school! Great staff!! The teachers and counselors never hesitated to help in anyone they could to help you succeed. I completed my BA with the help of my Psychology professor and my counselor. Even the times I struggled, they didn’t give up and found ways to help me make it. Loved it!!!!

kathy

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there would be a lot of great advice I would give myself. The most important thing I would tell myself is never be afraid to ask for help and it is ok to not always be the best. I learned that the hard way and stressed myself out to the point of illness and I had to leave college. Another thing I would have told myself is find who your academic advisors are and learn more about financial aid. These two things are pivitol to succeeding in college and finishing with a degree. Without your academic advisor, you so not know what iclass to take next or what path you should take if you have any difficulties with your studies. In addition, I would have told myself to make a path to finish college and stay focused because once you lose everything, it is hard to get back on track.

Jie

While I do wish I could've predicted the change that my university has faced, I do not belittle the value of the education I have received. In its history, Patten University has been the recipient of plenty accolades and awards. A historically Christian University, Patten's community was kind, welcoming, and most importantly full of school spirit! The educators were experts in their field and genuinely excited about sharing their knowledge. Patten was an amazing University with plenty of admirable qualities. If I had to choose, I would say Patten is known for its welcoming environment and excellent education.

To answer this question, I must begin at the start of my educational experience. At age four, I did Kindergarten and First Grade simultaneously. Fast-forward to tenth grade, I discovered that high school students could enroll in college classes. In 2013, at sixteen, I graduated High School and obtained an AA in Liberal Arts. I then attended Patten University, the family Alma Mater. Studies at Patten U. went well until it was announced that they were closing the on-ground option for my major. I had to decide between losing the classroom setting or adapting to an online platform, of which I am unfamiliar. I will attend NDNU in the Fall; betting on familiarity. This decision is what I would've discuss with my younger self. I strongly wish that I could've predicted the eventual demise of my cherished university. I would discuss the value as well as the cost of following tradition. My direct message to myself would be that while not all plans come into fruition; with flexibility, determination, and heart, you can change any outcome. From high school senior to college senior in one year, I would simply tell myself "It is possible. Do it."

I strongly wish that I could've predicted the eventual demise of my cherished university. My second semester at Patten, students were informed that most majors offered on-ground would be transferred to their online format. Students were no longer be able to take classes in a classroom setting; we had to decide between losing the option of a hands-on classroom setting or adapting to an online platform, a modality that many students who specifically chose the on-ground setting are not familiar with.

Sarai

Some advice would be to look up as many scholarships and grants as you can and fill them out. There is plenty of money out there , that you should not have to pay a dime for college. Also, I would have told myself to be prepared to actually have to study. I didn't realize the cost when you don't study.

The kind of person who should attend this school is someone who wants to go into a position is church leadership.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are only four areas of study. This makes it hard to continue with the career I have chosen.

Andrew

The students here are so eccentric and unique individually, that together, while being a small student body numerically, they create a very colorful picture of what diversity should look like; not just ethnically but characteristically.

As an individual, I have grown more in the two plus years of my college career than the rest of my cumulative life experience. The culture, knowledge, and care that has been infused into my life by both the people and the general area have caused multiple paradigm shifts and an overall worldview change in my life; which is ever being honed and refined. The most exemplary thing I should note would be the growth that has occured in my discipline as a responsible student, as an employee in my jobs, and as a person. This has taken place as a result of the seeds of good reason that have been sown into my life, and my being naturally adept at sifting through those seeds and allowing the best to grow. I still have a long way to go, and many areas to grow in, but if I take nothing more out of my college career than that of having become a scrutinous critical thinker, I will count it as profit. The more you know, the less you know, and nothing exemplifies that like being in college. But if one can know himself, then that is true gain.

The continuity between the mission of the School as an institution of higher education, and the students that attend the school.

Mike

I would tell myself to go to college right out of high school instead of waiting.

Limited class availablity due to small size of school.

Andrew

Be prepared to give yourself completely to the notion of higher education. Higher education is not just a college, university, or an institution; it is a state of mind. Condition your mind to be educable in this higher sense of things. Much of college is simply teaching you how to think critically. It is not necessarily about learning facts, numbers, or ideas about the world, but rather, to induce the construction of a worldview within yourself. Be concise, make choices. Many of the tasks involved will not only be taxing, but feel mundane and unncessary; like grunt-work. Choose wisely what to give your greatest attention to, but have a genuine desire to learn. Learn what you can from everything, but be subjective and apply the greatest amount of attention to the fields of study of your choice and the classes that sync up with that field. More than anything, become educated, in the higher sense, not according to standards of the world or society, but be self-inspired to develop your mind, which is a higher reward than any degree.

The integretion of faith-based belief with practicality is exceptional. There is a strong emphasis on biblical fundamentals, being it is a Christian University, yet there is nothing forceful about it when viewed objectively. And the fundamentals of that faith or never taught at the expense of neglecting practicality. There are fields of study at Patten University that are not biblical degrees, that are very practical, and any required bible courses are only implemented to promote the growth of a more well rounded student and adult.

The school is made up of a very tight knit community of individuals that are focused on development and growth. The school is in a very ethinically diverse community, yet very concise in its mission and vision for it's students. The small school is very good at facilitating great attention on each student. Despite the low level of awareness of the school nationwide, the level of education is top notch.

Patten University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.