Knoxville, TN
Pellissippi State Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pellissippi State Community College

PSCC is a great place to begin college. The majority of the professors invest in their students and work hard to make sure individuals are succeeding in their classes. The class size encourages discussion among students and helps teachers and students know each other on a personal level. PSCC works hard to make sure all students are prepared for a 4-year college or the workforce when they leave here.

I think that Pellissippi State is a welcoming environment. I am encouraged by my professors and the administration to succeed in class as well as out of class. I feel like I'm a part of a great group of people working to better their community and themselves. Having come from a large state school before transferring here, I appreciate Pellissippi's commitment to small class sizes and instructors who are always available. I have been given many opportunities to network within my intended career field and think that I will be able to get a job soon after graduation thanks to the opportunities Pellissippi provides for me.

Nick

I am a 23 year old student and i enjoy going to Pellissippi State. They offer a lot of night classes for the students that work during the day. They have a lot of options for what you want to do. I always enjoy going to class and learning new things.

Brock

Pellissippi State is a good college for someone who has been out of school for a few years and wants to get back in the classroom. The college has a good amount of majors to choose from for a community college. The professors are friendly and helpful for the most part.

Kelsey

Pellissippi State Community College is a great transition when coming right out of high school. The campuses are mostly very nice and resourceful. I just wish there were more activities for students to do in order to make friends. Overall the students are nice and the professors are usually more than willing to help you with any situation. There are also many resources available to help you further your education and help you better understand concepts taught in class. It is the perfect two year school!

Caroline

Pellissippi State Community College is a great place for me. My transition from high school to college was smooth and I felt like I was welcomed in with open arms. I have made great connections with not only my fellow classmates, but also my professors. I have learned so much from my year and a half there and I feel like I am prepared to further my education.

anissa

This is a great school for someone who has been in high school and is wanting to go to college to make sure that its what they want to do, before attending a big four year university. This school can really help people that have been working for a while to get back into the groove of school.

Tristin

I love going to this school. The academics are very good as well. All my classes I have taken have been at a very high level and always had a high standard as far as homework and assignments and learning. I love the people at my school as well. Everyone provides a friendly environemt

Katherine

For the price, I think it's an amazing school.

For the price, I think it's an amazing school.

There is a side of the internet FULL of study tips and tricks: go onto Tumblr and look up the studyblr tag. Those blogs are FULL of resources, tips, tricks, stationery recs, masterposts, and more. It will help you and it's an entire community dedicated to learn and to grow as students. Also, make some damn friends and don't be afraid to initiate conversation. You'd be surprised who you get along with. Planners are essential and look at them at least three times a day. Plan AHEAD. Fill that puppy in with all the syllabus knowledge your teachers have so graciously given you. They give it to you so you can plan ahead. You think studying for 4 hours a day as is lame? You know what's really lame? Hangovers and grades that skate on the failing line. That's lame. Get over your urge to party and buckle down Elle Woods style.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Home or the Maryville College Library. PSTCC Blount Campus is fairly noisy and isn't the ideal study-zone.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Adjusting to having to ask for your own help if you aren't social, creating study groups, and going to your professor's office hours like an adult.

What do people really wear to class?

Well, so far I've seen a guy come in looking like a farmhand who went through a wood chipper, a guy who went from his work uniform to a full suit and tie, a girl who has become more progressive orange with spray tans each day she comes to class, and the general messy but trying to be casual-professional student.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

What parties? We have no alcohol/party scene.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

You live at home so... that would be kinda weird.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

Oh, definitely. I've taken many classes that have taken my fascination with social change to whole new heights. Sociology Intro and Social Problems are MUST TAKE classes.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I was having the worst day and I was really stressed. Plus, my shoes had broken and I had no money to replace them and the girls who run the office bought me a pair because they didn't want me walking around with bare feet in the cold.

Describe a typical weekend.

Studying, coffee, awkwardly waving to classmates, wishing the campus was open on the weekends, and waiting for Monday.

It's kind of oddly placed and a bit boxy looking from the front, by the back is where all the scenery is.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It's super cheap, it's close to home, and it's a great investment.

What are your classes like?

Note. Intensive. I'm currently taking Social Problems and Survey of World Religions. The former class writes only two boards worth of notes and implies a great deal to be learned from reading retention. The latter dumps so much information on you only to have the tests be mostly big ideas and vocabulary. It's a strange world.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

It's a large, local community college with multiple campuses across the Knoxville, TN area. It has a variety of majors and quality varies from teacher to teacher, class to class. It's generally attractive and the staff do their best to be helpful. They are a great school that accommodates to everyone's needs.

The Fall Fest and other freebie fiestas.

Passionate (whether that be about good or bad topics, but that's all subjective). Passionate and loud about it. Loud even when they're wrong.

Psychology Club seems to have a rather active presence. I see a lot about the sustainability efforts as well.

I mean... I'm not even sure we have a stereotype. We do get a lot of farm boys from out in the deep woods, but I don't think that's perpetuated as who we are as a school. It's a fairly large school, to be honest. I think the stereotype--as is typical of all community colleges--is that we are somehow less intelligent/capable than those who attend the local private liberal arts college. Absolutely untrue.

The teacher's are touch-and-go, but overall it's a fair academic scene.

Nobody respects the "SILENT" zones in the study rooms or lab. Also, there's this guy in the open computer lab that just HAS to touch the mouthpiece of your water bottle while telling you to put it up or asking if he can hold onto it while you're in the lab. Way creepy guy.

They have some phenomenal teachers and the facilities are really clean.

Someone wanting to goof off and who is super big into a school football team. We don't have any teams for sports and the big team is UT (TN).

Any. Literally any. However, don't think that just because it's a community college that it's an easy ride. Some teachers are pretty chill, others want you in every class and to have extremely detailed notes. Otherwise, the campus is fairly diverse in personalities. Racially? No, not really. I think out of the two classes I'm taking we only have 2, maybe 3 POC.

Danielle

I really like it! Very good choice if you are new to college expectations and just graduated.. even if not! Plus the teachers try to be flexible if a student needs them to be like if their lives got a tab bit too busy and there are always staff members willing to try to help.

Pellissippi State Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.