Johnstown, PA
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pennsylvania Highlands Community College

Tammy

My classmates range in age from highschool students participating in duel enrollment to adults far past retirement, have been enjoyable to get to know and will be missed when I've completed my degree.

The first thing I would tell that high school senior is, "Do not get married before you get a college education." I would make sure that young girl would understand that being a wife may not last. Once she had children, they are a responsibility for life in which the person she married may not share. The next thing I would tell her is, "Once you get to college, take it more serious than anything you have ever done." I would tell her to continue with the attitude she had of not partying and drinking or doing drugs. I would tell her to work harder for grades and to learn everything that was available to learn. I would tell her that those years, earning her degree, would serve her for a lifetime. I would tell her that the transition and work of school would be much easier at that age than as a single mom of five children. Lastly, I would tell her to appreciate that education is available to her and to be thankful she lives where it is possible for a woman to be anything she chooses.

The worst thing about the community college I attend is the amount of classes that are cancelled each semester. I believe this happens due to the small size of the school. As it grows and more students attend, classes will likely run more frequently.

Torie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself three things to help make my transition from high school to college easier. First, I would tell myself not to stress over what I want to major in. Often, the first year of college is full of exploration and seeking what you are most interested in though electives. I would tell myself to just learn and observe and to not worry over what I want to be "when I grow up." Most college students change their major many times during the course of their college career, so it's not unusual to be unsure of the future. Next, I would tell myself to leave high school life behind. It's nice to keep in contact with friends, but college life is about making new connections and having new experiences. Growing and learning is more important that hanging on to high school drama that students often get consumed in. Lastly, I would tell myself to be responsible. College is different than high school in the sense that no one is making you go. Be prepared to make your own decisions.

I am very proud to attend Pennsylvania Highlands Community College because of the money I am saving by going to school locally and then transfering out. I brag about the experience I am gaining in a college setting, but saving tons of money. I am earning tons of credits toward my degree, but I'm not going in debt doing it.

Attending a Community College, it is very frustrating to keep track of the transfering credits to the four-year college I will be attending next fall. Although the staff at my college trys to schedule classes that I will most benefit from, it is frustrating because I must always oversee every class and transfer possibility. Even though my advisor says credits will transfer, they aren't always correct.

Pennsylvania Highlands Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.