Pennsylvania Highlands Community College Top Questions

The main advice I would give my high school self is that relax and college is going to be the best thing for you. College is molding me into the person I'm going to be and I can honestly say I love what I'm changing into. Even though I lost a lot of friends because we all went different places I think in the end it was for the best. Since I graduated I have discovered who my real friends are and figured out who are the real people I can trust. So in conclusion the main advice I would give my high school self is that everything is going to change but the change is a good thing and that you shouldn't fight it embrace it and everything is going to turn out amazing.

amalea

College has made me analytical. For example, I now think so much about how technology has made us falter in our understanding of the difference between right and wrong. We have lost our moral center. We are obsessed with technology for the sake of technology, with how much more power we can get rather than how much good we can do with technology. Rather than developing renewable energy, we develop weapons of mass destruction, exhaust our coal, tear down the rain forest, exploit oil production; we go to war over such resources. We insist technology is the answer to everything, yet overlook greater good goals like a true commitment for world peace and the end of world hunger, which with today’s technology could easily be achieved. We develop unnecessary technology and yet we are never satisfied with it or content with ourselves. Who really needs an Iphone 3g versus 4g? Less and less people are aware of what is going on in the world because they have to update their facebook or watch Jersey Shore. This passive acceptance of the misuse of technology will only get worse, unless people determine to affirmatively fight for the good use of technology.

By attending Napa Community College, I have learned that in life you need to be responsable and get the most important things done and out of the way before you worry about goining out and having fun.

michael

That it will help me later in life and find me a great job. And that job will allow me to help people in need.

Tammy

The first thing I would tell that high school senior is, "Do not get married before you get a college education." I would make sure that young girl would understand that being a wife may not last. Once she had children, they are a responsibility for life in which the person she married may not share. The next thing I would tell her is, "Once you get to college, take it more serious than anything you have ever done." I would tell her to continue with the attitude she had of not partying and drinking or doing drugs. I would tell her to work harder for grades and to learn everything that was available to learn. I would tell her that those years, earning her degree, would serve her for a lifetime. I would tell her that the transition and work of school would be much easier at that age than as a single mom of five children. Lastly, I would tell her to appreciate that education is available to her and to be thankful she lives where it is possible for a woman to be anything she chooses.

Torie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself three things to help make my transition from high school to college easier. First, I would tell myself not to stress over what I want to major in. Often, the first year of college is full of exploration and seeking what you are most interested in though electives. I would tell myself to just learn and observe and to not worry over what I want to be "when I grow up." Most college students change their major many times during the course of their college career, so it's not unusual to be unsure of the future. Next, I would tell myself to leave high school life behind. It's nice to keep in contact with friends, but college life is about making new connections and having new experiences. Growing and learning is more important that hanging on to high school drama that students often get consumed in. Lastly, I would tell myself to be responsible. College is different than high school in the sense that no one is making you go. Be prepared to make your own decisions.