Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus Top Questions

Football! And where Ben and Jerry got their start.

PSU is best know for its loyal Alumi. Many Alumni frequently donate money to help better PSU educational programs. Some of these Alumni are specifically looking to hire PSU students within the firms they work for. As a result, on career day, there are over 200 firms that come and look for perspective employees. Having PSU on your resume can connect you to thousands of Alumni nation wide who are looking for PSU graduates becuase of PSU's educational reputation.

Kerry

It is best known for engineering, and agricultural students. It is a large school, known for many opporunities, clubs, and networking connections. it is also very well known for it's football team.

I believe Penn State is best known for their football team and the "white-outs", where all the attendees of the game where white shirts.

My school is best known for school spirit and partying. It is also known for engineering.

Large community with collaborative effort on many projects. Great research institution.

Barbara

Football

Football and partying

Sherry

Football

Penn State is probably best known for its school spirit. The nickname "happy valley" is really fitting for the atmosphere on campus. Everyone has a ton of pride in the university and it is shown every saturday during the fall in the student section at football games.

My favorite campus tradition is yelling WE ARE at tour groups and at football games. It may seem silly and stupid, but it really shows the bond that Penn Staters have and that you have for life. When I am back home in New York, I always see Penn State alumni and scream WE ARE at them, and they scream back PENN STATE, and you feel an instant connection.

I beleive that Penn State is best known for its football culture (even though it is very strong academically aswell). The atmosohere that the football program creates at Penn State is proof that out town deserves the nickname, "Happy Valley." The fall football games provide the students, alumni, and all PSU fans to come together for a weekend of school spirit and exciting activities. It is football that brings the alumni back to "Happy Valley" every weekend but it is the love of their alma mater that keeps them coming back year after year.

kimberly

Thier football team and the blue and white society.

My school is best known for being very serious about acedemics while still getting involved with organizations such as THON and sporting events. Every student has a full schedule on our plates and we maintain great grades.

Gregory

Football weekends are definitely up there. I love sports and am passionate about football so this is a natural fit. However, even if you aren't a huge fan of football, or sports in general, there is a good chance you will still enjoy it. I knew plenty of people who weren't huge sports fans but really got into the football games. Before and after the games there are tons of tailgates. During the games, there are all kinds of traditions the fans do that are fun to be apart of. For years, we were ranked the #1 Student Section in the Country. When you attend a game, you will witness why. Aside from football, THON is another awesome tradition. Throughout each year, there is a year long fundraising effort to raise money to support research for Pediatric Cancer. With all the events and time spent accumulating into one weekend, the Dance Marathon occurs in February. All weekend long in the Bryce Jordan Center people flock to dance and have fun with the THON families. There are events all weekend long. At the end, the total of money fundraiser is revealed. It is an extremely touching event, and is something everyone should get the chance to be apart of. It is remarkable to see and hear how it changes the lives of those affected. Other than specific traditions, just the pride and passion students put into anything they do is awesome. Even if it is just a party, the passion is remarkable and rather than feeling like one student of 40,000, everyone just seems like one big group of friends.

Football

WE ARE best known for our immense pride that lasts lifelong. The spirit at my school is unbelievable and unattainable by any other university. There is no other way to describe it than to be present during our sold-out football games of over 100,000 fans or simply in the crowd of the Bryce Jordan Center during THON, our philanthropy benefiting pediatric cancer that last year alone raised over nine million dollars. We truly do bleed blue and white, and I wouldn't have it any other way (red is unhealthy- yes i'm talking to you Ohio).

Dan

Football!

Penn State is known for its school spirit. Students, faculty, and Alumni alike all show an extensive amount of school sprirt whether at a sporting event or just around campus. No matter where you go in the world you are likely to see a Penn State fan. We have the best student section in the country and we all take pride in our school.

Football Team.

Daniela

I would say Penn State is best known for football. We are in the Big 10 division, and we have what has been deemed "the best Student Section in the country." We also have the largest alumni network. In addition, we have the country's third best astronomy department.

Penn State Dance Marathon is very well known. Our Football team and Fans are recognized by ESPN quite often.

My school is best known for its diverse and lively campus and the many opportunities it provides in its variety of extra curricular activities.

Shandna

The younger generation calls it "the party school" but the older generation tells the youth "this univerisity is known world wide for its excellency in preparing student for the real world".

Football games, no doubt, which is enhanced by our school pride and echoed by the large student population. Others may say we are known for our high tuition cost.

Our school is best known for our strong tradition of excellence in many areas. Our students have a huge sense of pride for the character of our students and faculty. We are a student body that wants to make a positive impact on the world. This is seen through our nationally known THON event. We are known for a great agriculture and food science program and we are home to the largest university run creamery in the nation. We are also known for successful athletic programs that are a strong force in the Big Ten Conference.

Melvin

Penn State is best known for a lot of things, but when you ask someone what they think about when they hear the name Penn State they would tell you football. Football is a huge thing on this campus. The school spirit here is unlike any other school. At the football games this is evident. Football creates a bond between everyone in the school. We all can come together and enjoy an event together under one roof.

I would say it's a toss up between the academic program and the instructors. Penn State is known for it's tough academic programs and everyone I've spoken to has nothing but the best to say about the professors.

Angelique

My school is best known for the high graduation rates. It is also known for the high rate of post-graduation jobs.

Brennyn

My school is probably best known for its athletics as well as its academics. Our football team is always on the news while our volleyball and fencing teams have won multiple national championships in the past few years. Our academics are fantastic. These classes are interesting but tough and keep me motivated to do well. Having "graduated from Pennsylvania State University" on a transcript is something I don't think an employer could ignore.

Jamilah

Football, Networking, and education

Aleea

My school is best known for the diversity of choices available to students, and the help provided to students in reaching their goals. Ucf is fantastic at providing financial assistance to students, and at encouraging them to reach their full academic potential

Parties, sports, a great college newspaper, and a Big 10 experience.

Pennstate is known for its school spirit and just how much of a family everyone is around here. Everyone feels safe around everyone else and it's a great atmosphere. I would never want to trade in any of my experiences at this school because I have so many important and special memories that were made here. College will definitely be the most memorable time of my life thanks in no small part to the school itself.

What appealed to me most about Penn State is its teaching/education program. I plan on becoming a Latin/Italian teacher and actually transferred from University of Pittsburgh to Penn State since the later was known for its excellent school of education. For me, this is what Penn State is best known for since it's what appeals and relates to me the most.

Penn State = JoePA + football + THON (Penn State Dance Marathon... www.thon.org) + partying + blue & white

Penn State is best known for its school spirit and home football weekends, with thousands of current and former students filling the stadium.

PSU was voted the number 1 party school, but that reputation bothers most students who value their education. Most of those who are focused on academic success want potential students to know that there is a lot to be learned at PSU and we have a level of academic excellence that is hard to find at other schools.

Kellen

Penn State is best know for its pride, we have very dedicated students and alumi who are very much devoted to the Penn State tradition and enjoy upholding our reputation, for the glory!

It is very known for football and the coach. It is known for a strong academics and a student's pride for Penn State.

Arielle

great alumni network football great recruiting number one party school

Beth

football

Thon (four Dimounds foundation) Football Research

Football. Everyone knows Penn State for their sports. I definitely think the school offers many other activities now that I'm here, but if any random person is asked to describe Penn State.... it would be 1. Football 2. Drinking and 3. Good Education. Employers seem enthused about Penn State grads.

Emerald

Penn State is known for its educational services and I believe it was recently said to be the number one party school.

Penn State football, volleyball, and basketball teams.

nicole

I think my school is most known for its very social weekends, and its football team. Although it does have a very good agricultural program, and over 10 different sub-schools for students to choose from over 100 different majors and minors.

Partying, football, and academics.

Football; Joe Paterno; #1 party school; Generally well-regarded education among employers.

Daniele

I would say their academics. When i first heard of Penn State I was told how it's a good school to go to for your academics.