Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

The major stereotype associated with Penn State University is that it's a school centered around football and athletic-related spirit. When most people think of Penn State, they usually don't refer to the academics, but rather a school of Divison I Athletics, mostly geared towards the football team and Joe Paterno. Penn State is a well-rounded school that has a great athletic and football program. Through this, Penn State is seen as a very spirited school with great student pride. Penn State is always recognized by its huge Alumni Association and the pride many students have with the university. I would say that because of all this, Penn State is stereotyped as football school with massive student pride.

Many people think of Penn State as a party school that loves football.

Jerry

Well, we're considered to be a big party school by others I think. The real oddity is the people at Pitt really hate us, especially at football games, even though we haven't played them in football since I've been in college (I think).

Alissa

Penn State students have an overwhelming pride in their school and football is huge. Penn State is known as a big party school and Greek life plays a big part in the social scene.

Tom

There are a lot of stereotypes about PSU and the student body here, I think one of the reasons why is because of the huge selection of students here. PSU students are heavy partiers, this one is quite accurate, yet if drinking isn't your cup of tea, there are so many other things to do, HUB Late Night shows some solid movies every week and have a bunch of fun activities. Frats and sororities have their stereotypes as well, however having the largest greek system in the world, there are enough options to avoid those stereotypes as well. All in all though stereotypes describe PSU as a whole, the university is as large or as small as you make it. It can be diverse or homogenous, social or academic, and so on. Finding the right balance is important and the reason why students enjoy Penn State so much.

Penn State is in farm land. People think its a boring town. Penn State students party a lot.

Frat guys are meat heads and sorority girls are sluts.

Major party school and amazing football. Students at UP tend to be thought of as smarter than those at branches.

Mick

That we are addicted to Football. That it is one of the best schools in the country. That we are a big party school. We have lots of frats. That THON is our way of making us look good. That we raise money, to over look our bad habits.

University Park is huge and all the students there are wild football fans who constantly party.

I hear a lot of people comment about the jock, fratboy type attitude many people have, and its true, its annoying sometimes.

Jeff

Branch campus's accept anybody who applies, and those lower quality applicants end up at the main campus for their junior and senior year.

Jon

Most people think that we're a big football/drinking school.

People say that Penn State is a mostly white athletic university, and that almost everybody is part of Greek life.

Everyone is under the impression that all we do is party. There is also the belief that we do not have to study to pass.

Too much drinking, too little studying - and always way too much emphasis on football. We're also oozing with sugary-sweet school pride.

Steph

That Penn State students are really smart.

1. We dress poorly (as in sloppily, not shabbily). 2. Most of us are wealthy. 3. We all drink and party too much.

Ali

That we are party animals

Jody

Penn State is known as a crazy, party school where football is king and Joe Paterno is a god. Everywhere you walk someone is wearing Penn State attire, and it can be anything from hats to flip-flops. School spirit is a huge part of life here, and if you don't come into State College a Nittany Lion, then you're guaranteed to leave that way.

That most people drink and belong to some greek group or another.

Joey

Jock school. Party/drinking problem school.

Teddi

I think that a lot of people think that Penn State is this huge place with thousands of people that are unfriendly and don't know each other. And that everyone loves sports, especially football, of course. I think we're known for Frat Parties and hooking up, as well as being complete drunkards.

Connie

There are alot of students and most of them are white, and they no nothing about the rest of the world

Jess

PSU students are alcoholics

That they are all jocks/into sports. Or that they are in fraternity or sorority.

kristen

A common misconception about Penn State students is that everyone is the same, no diversity or individuality. If you are involved in Greek Life, you binge drink, do drugs, and have sex excessively. Girls wear ugg boots, leggings, and wear huge sunglasses. Guys wear jeans, a tee shirt, and sneaks. NOT TRUE.

That they drink and party a lot.

PSU: large community, supportive alum, Big Ten, Party School, Decent Academics, mostly upper middle class caucasians, little diversity, most students are from PA ,NJ ,NY or MD, balanced life style

Drinking town in the middle of no where.

-that all everyone does is party -greek life is huge -the classes are too big and you're just a number

Shawn

People who attend Penn State are obsessed and have a lot of school spirit! Football!!!!!

some people think that everybody at psu drink and go to parties all the time. I think that a lot of people feel pressured to drink when they come here.

Torry

I personally don't think the stereotypes for PSU students are really very different from those for most college students. But it seems like PSU has a reputation as a party school, so they probably have a little more of a reputation for being drunken frat boys - and possibly for having more money than most college students (since University Park prices are so high, etc etc.).

We drink. A lot.

Royce

party school, football crazy

Party school Football crazy

Jared

Everyone who goes to PSU is the same and it's basically just one big party.

Students party all the time, get drunk.

casey

party school, drinking, obsessed with football

Sorority girls are sluts.

They're stupid and boring.

Sorority girls are easily distinguishable with their tight pants, uggs and north face jackets. THON committees are all about socials and drinking.

We get drunk and crazy everyday, our school is in the middle of no where, every student is smart

Some of the stereotypes about PSU is that it is just a big jock school. People think that everyone plays a sport and only gets ahead due to sports. Also people think that the sports are over-rated at Penn State. Another stereotype is that PSU students are all just spoiled kids who all own a BMW in their driveway. People think Penn State students never study but just party all the time.

Generally, PSU has a reputation as one of the biggest party schools. Anyone who doesn't go here seems to assume that it is the greatest place on earth. Tell anyone you go here and they don't even ask you how you like it; rather, they reply "Oh, well, you're loving your life then." So, people tend to associate PSU with the "pregame harder than other schools party" lifestyle. Also, the fact 40,000 undergrads attend university park, everyone assumes that there is something for everyone.

Shawn

I think the main stereotype about PSU is that we're a big party school--and that's it. Oh, and we're obsessed with football to an unhealthy degree.

Like most Universities, there are many stereotypes about the student body as well as the overall establishment. The most common stereotype that I've heard is that Penn State's students are obnoxious, belligerent party animals. Another common stereotype is that all the girls are uptight and snobbish and all the guys are cocky and obsessed with lifting weights and picking up girls.

There are quite a few stereotypes about Penn State and Penn State students. The most prominent stereotype, in my opinion, is that the students here only care about drinking and football. Many people question students' priorities, assuming we are more focused on our socials lives than academics.

A lot of people think of Happy Valley as a drinking town with a football addiction. People also think PSU is in the middle of nowhere.