Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus Top Questions

Julie

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that the beauty of college experience is exploring what it is that makes up your identity. I would let myself know that no 18 year old knows who they are and what they want in life and that all the pieces will fall into place. Unfortunately when I got to college I felt that I was supposed to have my whole life figured out. I thought I was supposed to know who I was, what I wanted to study, what my career goals were, and what I wanted my entire life to look like which created lot of anxiety for me. Due to this pressure I put up on myself, it took away from the excitement of developing my interests and my identity. I spent so much time worrying about what my niche is and where I fit in in this world that I didn't even pay attention to the experiences that helped me grow and got me to where I am. I would remind my high school self that it's not always about the destination, it's also about the journey.

Luke

I would have told myself to get more involved in the campus community, earlier. By the time I had discovered interesting research, extra-curricular, and volunteer opportunities, I was already at the end of my junior year. As much as I loved attending Penn State, it can be an intimidating place for a college freshman. The university is just huge. I would also advise myself to explore as many career options as possible, through shadowing or networking with other professionals. It took me a few years out of college before I realized what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Finally, I would have warned myself that the level of binge-drinking at Penn State is not acceptable in the real world. I have watched as some college friends have descended into drinking problems upon graduating from the University, where they had learned their drinking habits. This would have given me more perspective on this topic, and helped me to develop more as a professional instead of worrying so much about parties and socializing.

DANIEL

Go with your gut...

Rosalyn

The advice I would give myself knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition is to remember everyone always has choices, chances and changes. You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change.

Alvin

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I'd tell myself to connect with people I aspired to be like. The friends we choose dictate how we preform across all stages of life. When students first get to college a large majority of them have the mentality that they are going to party and have fun. But there are also some that say, “We’re going to take advantage of this opportunity and become successful.” I’d tell my high school self that those are the people you need to connect with early on. Unfortunately, I didn’t go out looking for those types of kids until recently. Since connecting with them I’ve excelled academically, been involved in leadership positions, started a non-profit and encouraged others to follow in my path. Although, everyday I wonder what more might I have accomplished if I surrounded myself with a strong circle when I was a freshman.

Briana

To my younger self, I would tell her to not be afraid of what the future holds. You need to put yourself out there in college, and if you don't, you'll never truly find where you belong. Work hard in high school, because when you come to college and realize that you can't procrastinate like you did before, reality will hit you hard. Social life does matter, but in the end your grades matter a lot more, especially if you need to go to graduate school. Get involved as much as you can because you'll make friends that will last a lifetime. Be yourself and discover who you are, because college is the last point in your life where you don't have to be completely serious or have huge responsibilities. Lastly, just know that it's okay to not always be okay. There will be hard times, but you'll get through them if you believe you will.

Apeayena

Dear High School Self, Having gone through what you’re going through now, I would like to give you some insight into life. Highschool, I have found is a major aspect of human development. Your future in life, to some degree, is made or broken. I know you may be complaining about excessive homework, sleepless nights, shortened socialization, and occasional nagging from parents and siblings. Not to mention, the dreaded SAT’s and the anxiety of not knowing which preferred college would admit you. I know you are worried about (losing) your close friends who are going a different direction than you. Just remember, your resolve in life is to study hard and let destiny take its course, but knowing very well that you have put in your best. Love, Apeayena Thank You

Miranda

Above all, you need to work hard. I know you want to go to school far away from home, and that's going to take some work. There will be no mom to wake you up on time for class or to make sure you're doing what needs to be done. All of that is on you now. I know sometimes you let your depression get the best of you; you let it stop you from doing basic things, even getting oout of bed. But you need to power through it. College is no joke, and you need to get past this like I know you can.

Gregory

The biggest advice I would give my high school senior self is to get up off the my high horse and stop beliveing eveyrthing should be granted for me. Anything in life comes with hard work, knowing myself I wanted the best of the best and that something I have to work hard for rather than sitting around and missing out on oppunities that could of propelled even further than where I am in my academic career. Also not to be scared of the person I am, there is no reason in being afraid to express my true self and feelings. Not everyone in this world is going to like you. The most important thing is to do what you like and being comfortable in my own skin. As a result people will see that in you and ultimately the right people will gravitate towards you. The last piece of advice I would give myself is to keep my mind open, not to remain narrow minded because the world has many possibilities within it where anything can be achieved through focus and hardwork.

Christine

Dear high school senior, Penn State is an enourmous place. Despite having many buses, it is best to travel to class by foot because the busses are often packed. Additionally, stops and traffic can result in you being tardy to class. Rely on your own feet. You will find the best way to get to class by walking the campus. Even though Penn State is large, walking to class is the most effective means of transpotation. In addition to not depending on public transportation, focus on being self-reliant. There are many students who attend PSU, thus creating a less intimate settings with professors. However, this does not have to be your downfall. Being self-reliant is a great asset to possess for the future. It will help you focus on work and give you a sense of pride. Being self-reliant is great, but it does not mean you have to be alone. Do not be afraid to sit with someone you do not know at the dinning hall. Everyone on campus is a Penn Stater just like you and would most likely love someone to talk to. Get in there and make friends.

Kerry

I would tell myself to take really take advantage of all the clubs, organizations, and opportunities college provides. i would tell myself to focus on grades and studying, while immersing myself in the culture and opportunities provided by the school. You never again be able to take advantage of everything college has to offer. I tell myself to apply to more scholarships and funding opportunities and to better understand the meaning of debt and loan-term loan repayment burden. I would focus on what jobs are available after college more and seek out the career services center more. I would tell myself to have fun, live life to the fullest, and savor each moment, since you'll never get it again.

Take more AP science classes. My high school seems to have been weak in this area.

Jesse

Theirs alot about my life that I would have changed if I could talk to my high school self. I would have first told myself to take high school alot more seriously , and focus on my education. I did not try and take high school seriously at all and never thought I would make it to college, so I did not really care. If I tryed harder im sure I could have attended Penn State as a freshman, and not a junior. It would have been amazing to spend 4 years here, rather than only 2. Something else I would tell myself is to gain better study skills so it's not so hard to take tests. Im not the smartest kid when it comes to tests, I wish I could do better on tests because that is the main way we are graded on.

Four years ago when I made my decision on which college to apply to, the thought of financial aid was not on my mind. I was eager to live on campus and away from home. Education has always been a primary focus of mine, however, the cost of college and the need of continued financial support was a near miss. Therefore, if I can go back in time and talk to myself about college, I would discuss the values of doing well on the SAT. The scores will be an advantage towards scholarships. I would also talk about being proactive in applying for financial aid. The cost of a college education involves a life time of savings if you have no financial support. I would also encourage myself to continue to stay involved in extracurricular activities. All of these venues are assets when applying for financial aid and scholarships. Staying focused on my academics and having an acceptable grade point average plays a big part in financial aid awarding each semester. College life is all about independent living. The transition can be hard and overwhelming but yet intriguing if you are not proactive with independent living.

John

As a high-school senior, I was very energetic and ambitious when it came time to pick up and move to college. But, that energy and ambition wasn't properly placed my first semester as I felt culturally shocked by the vast amounts of possibilities Penn State offered. I wanted to do anything and everything: get a job, get a girlfriend, join organizations, party senselessly on the weekends, etc. All of my ambition was focused on everything else besides what truly matters once you have your diploma. I wish, more than anything, I could go back and say, "John, take 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of this energy you're feeling and put it towards your classes. The other 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} can go towards everything else." That simple, two-sentence advice could have saved me from a semester GPA of 2.34. The second piece of advice I'd tell myself is, "Don't spread yourself too thin academically." If you choose a major that you're not comfortable with, change it immediately. If not, you'll have too many credits in the wrong place and waste your hard-earned cash in the future. But, in the end, I'd still say, "Enjoy these years."

jasmine

Just relax. Everyone feels the same way; you are not alone. It is overwhelming and exciting on its own, so stressing about it now (high school) will only psych you out. You have plenty of time in the summer to let it all sink in. Enjoy prom and graduation and safe grad. Enjoy the people that you are with now because you will probably never see them again. Although that sounds blunt and harsh, the people that you meet in college will replace any ones that fell out. Relax. You made it this far.

My adivce to my high school senior self is to figure out what you want to major in for college. I believe this is strong advice for myself becuase I came into college not knowing what I want. My first year in college I was taking courses I thought I liked without reserarching about what I can with that degree. Later I declared my major impulsively on what thought was a good major until I reserached it. Turns out that it was a wrong choice to major in today's economy becuase hardly any jobs are available for that major and it is low paying. What I thought sounded like a cool major turned out to be a bust that would haunt me for months. It kept me up at night in fear on what my future will turn out to be to the point I had to change my major. Even though I'm thankful that I changed my major, it put me a semester behind. Now it will take me longer to graduate and more money to spend. My advice to high school seniors is research what you want to major in before you make a permenant decsicion.

Alexandra

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior before making the transition to college, there are two things I would really like to tell myself: save your money and do not wait until the night before an exam to start studying. Despite the number of times I was warned of this before attending college, for some reason I refused to believe either of these suggestions. Saving your money is vital because spending your first semester of college, 400 miles from home and completely broke is miserable. Aside from academics, some of my biggest stressors freshman year came from worrying about finding a job or not making enough money to pay for books and food. Second, if you study in college like you study in high school you will most certainly fail. I came to college has a straight A high school student and I spent my first semester studying for my college exams like I studied for my high school tests and I did poorly. If could have listened to my parents and advisors about these two things before coming to college, I would definitely have succeeded.

Nicholas

Knowing that I would be as successful in college as I am now, I would advise my senior self to take harder classes. Entering college as a freshman, attempting to play hockey, and not performing "that" well in highschool, made it a concern if I would do well in school or with honors classes. I would tell myself that it would be worth the risk. I would also advise myself that although it is possible to achieve a 4.0, which I have through 72 credits, it is important to also enjoy the experiences available. That studying and making sure that I get the most points on every assignment possible isn't the only thing I should focus on in school. Although I haven't missed many experiences, the amount of stress that I put on myself in the first two years at Penn State was not healthy and was very detrimental to my relationships with friends and family. I'd tell myself that it's important to plan for the future, but it is more important to enjoy the present. That is how you will grow and be able to handle the future.

If I could give direction to myself, coming into the college life I think I would say, don’t let the fear of rejection or regret dictate the choices you make. Take the chance. Make the mistake. Make the memory. When you’re afraid just know that you can overcome all obstacles. Whenever you think you cannot do something, try harder. Allow the obstacles to give you strength. Allow your fear to be your motivation and use that to appreciate the truly important things in life. Even when you know there will be scars, decide to wear them as badges of honor.

Ivana

Do what you want to do. Don't worry so much about money; meaning, don't study something just because of the money. I could have saved myself 3 semesters of torment if I had known this earlier. I spent my 3 semesters as a Chemical Engineering major because it would get me a job and money. Though I did well in my classes, my life was miserable. I had to study hours every day, which is miserable to do if the subject matter doesn't interest you. People like to say that the humanities won't get you a job, but that's mostly people talking; statistics prove otherwise. Statistics also show that even science majors have trouble finding job. It's a very small and niche group of majors that will "guarantee" a job after college. Most people in life who are successful aren't successful as a result of their college major. They're successful because of what they did in college during their time, who they met, and they're overall worth ethic and demeanor. No one will hire someone 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} based on his or her major, after all.

Leah

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior I would sit myself down and say the following: Listen, I know that you have a new boyfriend who you think is the love of your life. I also know that you have never lived away from home before and you will want to come home every weekend. But here is what I can honestly tell you; there are 20,000 other guys up there to meet and the weekends are the best part of school, so don't come home all the time. Embrace Penn State and all there is to do there. Don't worry about making friends, because it will happen without you even trying. The decision to go to Penn State is the best one that you will ever make in your life.; it will give you the best career options, the best friends, and a college experience unparalleled by any other school that every existed. Don't be afraid to go; live the dream.

kimberly

Take school a little more seriously and relationships a little less.

Folahan

Apply for more scholarship.

shanelle

Hey Self I know that your afraid of this college life and think that it will to hard for you to grasp but listen its not as bad as you think.I I know that since your ar the firs t one in your family to go to college you have not had anyone in your family that can tell you what its going to be like. I have some news for you. Its a fun and enlightening experience. You get to learn about things youve always wondered about. You get to take classes that interest your career life and you get to prepare for your future. So while you think this college thing is going to be hard think about the outcome and what you will achieve but pushing through and suceeding like I know that you can. Remember it doesnt matter how long it takes it matters if you finish.

Rupa

I have goals to become a doctor or nurse and to help my poor society. I will do well in college to fulfill my aim and the dreams of my parents. College is temple, education is prayer, and hard work is a blessing, I will do my best to work hard in college. High school gave me a life, I hope college will give me better life and scholarship hold me from falling down on the way of getting better life. I will never loose my hope if there is more other obstacle in the way. in high school we had lots of fun and less responsiblity, college life is of full resposibility. I hope college will help me to serve my community will bring happiness back to my family.

Collin

If I could talk to high school me, I would encourage myself to develop healthy study habits early on. I would tell myself to read more than I have over the last few years. I would tell myself not to focus on the bad times, but to only look for more good times. Finally, I would tell myself there’s always something to laugh and be happy about, so laugh and be happy, and life will get better that way.

Victoria

If I were to travel back in time and talk to myself as a college senior, I would tell myself that life is going to get better. There may be times that seem unbearable or challenging, but you are strong enough to persevere. I would also tell myself to look at the big picture. All of your life's moments are like puzzle pieces that need to fit together to help you reach your ultimate goal. Do not let the fear of failure be a detriment to your aspirations. Just because you are a first generation college student, that does not make you any less capable of succeeding than anyone else. Even though you are financially stunted in ways and you do not have the financial support from family, that does not mean there aren't opportunities to afford yourself the education you deserve. I would tell myself to never lose sight of my dream of becoming a doctor. You can conquer anything. Giving up because you are afraid is acting as a coward. Your grandfather taught you differently. You are stronger than you know. Believe in yourself and keep the faith that everything will fall into place.

Barbara

Well I certainly would say to go to college right out of high school and obtain all the degrees you want while you are young so that you have the time to use these degrees. I am 50 and just received my BSN and now working on my MSN which doesn't leave me much time to use them, but I can also tell you this much, no matter what age learning is valuable. Obtain all the knowledge you can. You will see that once you start, and it all comes together and the pieces start fitting together like a big puzzle, it will become addictive and you won't want to stop. Just be all that you can be, you won't be sorry.

Andrew

Take your time and investigate colleges. Try to take a tour whenever you can. The one school I was sure I would attend just did not feel "right" when I actually went to visit. That visit then led me to visit the school I actually chose - the exact opposite of my original #1 choice! It was crazy how it happened! I would suggest talking to others who may have attended colleges you are interested in to get their opinion and insight. I would tell someone to work hard in high school leading up to application time and definitely to be involved in things which interest you. while in high school. Oh, and study hard and get good grades beginning in 9th grade! (It's what my mom told me, I just didn't listen as well as I should have.)

Kristina

“To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.” This quote was said by Stirling Moss. Throughout your college career, you are going to overcome many obstacles. During your first year, you must remember to not give up, follow your dreams, and take every opportunity. While your first semester is going to be trying and you will struggle, you will make it. You have to remember not to be afraid to ask for help. There are many out there in the same position as you. You will achieve great things working in the chemical engineering lab that you applied for and will end up with a publication. Your second year is going to be trying both physically and emotionally. Do not fight the feelings that you have in your heart and in your gut. You will end up in the hospital with Type I Diabetes, but you overcome the challenges like a champion. You may feel like giving up, but you will finally figure out what you are meant to do in life thanks to a few personable professors. Just remember: You will overcome all obstacles and achieve everything that you put your heart into.

Kathryn

Relax. There is a college for each unique individual and you will get in somewhere. Work hard from the beginning and do not get caught up in the social aspect of college, although it is tempting. Join clubs and organizations that fit your personality best. Make lifelong friends, and do not try to compare them to your friends from home; each person is different and special in their own way. Make the most of these four years; they go by the fastest. In the blink of an eye you will be receiving your diploma.

Jonel

If I could go back in time I would tell myself not to be afraid of new things and not to put of going to college because it's not that scary. I would also tell myself to be more organized in apllying for scholarships and getting information about the college that I am planning on attending.

Raneka

The advice I would give myself is, make decisions for yourself and don't worry about what others say. Throughout high school and even some of college, one of the biggest issues I had was trying to please everyone else, and worrying about what everyone else thought of my decisions. This caused me to miss out on so many opportunities and even caused me to not join certain things such as soriorities, clubs, etc. It wasn't until my sophomore year of college that I finally said "What the heck" and began to do things despite what others told me. By just making decisions for myself, I made so many friends and began to feel this sense of independence and control. So to my past self I want to tell you, don't let anyone hold you back. If you want to join that club, join it; if you want to take that class, go for it, because in the end you know yourself best.

Sara

If I could tell my younger self one thing about college, it would be to apply to as many scholarships and grants as possible, as early as possible. I can not even begin to explain the amount of stress I have taken on during this past year trying to afford college. It is a struggle every single month, trying to save money from working along with balancing school, homework, studying, extracurricular activities, and sleep. I know that mom's bad credit score being a big factor as to why I am not eligible for all of the loans I applied for is out of my control, but if I were to apply for as many scholarships as I could find so that I am ahead of the game before I get my tuition bill, that would be one step ahead from where I am now. Looking back, I would not want to be in the situation I am in right now, scrambling for last minute gateways to try and relieve my situation. I am gambling between going to school or not, simply because I cannot afford it. I just want to go to school.

Isabel

I would have told myself to finish high school instead of dropping out. There were so many people in my life then that wanted to see me succeed and put my knowledge to good use. I went from being a straight-A student taking honors and AP classes to a high school drop out. I would have told myself to listen to my teachers and parents; that getting an education is more important than anything else at the time. I would have informed myself that the teen angst dominating my past would be replaced by an overwhelming desire to help others as a healthcare professional, and that the people and lifestyle I chose instead of getting an education would be a regretful memory. Today I'm paying for those mistakes, but they now fuel a fire at my back that keeps me moving forward, looking for every oppurtunity that will help me succeed. I would have told my highschool senior self to hang in there, and keep my eyes on the prize. I would be where I hope to be today if I knew then what I know now.

Kristen

Graduating from high school environment into the college life can be a tough transition. Immediately after orientation, a student enters a life that is full of freedom. There are no rules or bells in the college. A student should be able to manage her time effectively to ensure the success of his or her college life. Similarly, joining college clubs enhance the social development of a student and a student will be able to avoid risks behaviors that may result to social problems.Choosing the right company at the college will also enable a student to live a healthy life at the college. A determined and focused student should avoid group influences and peer pressures from others. This can help a student not to engage in activities such as use of alcohol and other drugs that affect the academic life of a student.Finally, maintaining good relationships with others is very important for the success of the student. A learning institution is a social environment. To ensure the success of a student, he/she should respect others and maintain a good relationship with others. Respect towards the teachers is also necessary for the success of a student.

Crystal

Krystal, you are about to start one of the most important parts of your life. You will need to really buckle down and study hard to succeed in your classes. Take good notes, ask questions, and form study groups. However, college will not just be about studying, studying, studying. You are going to make some amazing friendships, learn many things, and even learn about yourself. Don't be afraid to change your mind if you are not happy with your major or your classes. You are young and should experiment with what you want to do. After all, what you are going to learn over the next few years of your life is going to help define you as a person. Be passionate about what you are learning and what you want to do when you graduate. Don't settle for anything less than what makes you happy and is the best for you and your goals. College is about working hard but enjoying it while you do it! Good luck!

Sherry

I would tell myself not to sweat the small stuff and don't worry about what others think about you. Be true to yourself, be kind to others, and keep working towards your goals. Try new things, remebering that you only live once. Most importantly, don't let anyone bring you down.

Justin

Don't worry so much about being forced to choose a school based on your finances, it was probably the smart decision to make. Get involved on campus early and do a lot of things. Get out and be social, you can easily handle your classes and a social life if you focus.

In high school, teachers always warned us about how difficult the course load would be in college; I concentrated too much on getting good grades my first few years, and didn't focus enough on making friends and growing as an indiviudal. College is the place where you truly become yourself, which I discovered after transferring to Penn State University Park and rushing Phi Sigma Pi, the National Coed Honor Fraternity. You won't get the full college experience if you bury your face in a book the entire time; go out and make friends! Make mistakes, and learn from them. Try new things, take classes that have nothing to do with your major, because worst case you will uncover a passion you never knew you had. Of course do all of your assignments, GO to classes (even the ones in giant lecture halls!), and keep your GPA up... balance is the key. Learning to do this is how college really prepares you for life.

Kaitlin

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the one piece of advice I would give myself is to relax and enjoy the experience. Often times, humans have a tendancy to race against time. We are always busy, stressed, and tend to take on too big of work loads. Going to college is not only to better your education, but helps in bettering yourself as a person as well. I would tell my high school self to take on every social opportunity and to reach out and explore. Transfering to a University from a Community College will give me the chance to start over and really enjoy the experience. I plan to slow down, focus on my studies even more, and transform into an educated, cultured, and personable human being. I am so excited for the upcoming opportunities and plan to take on every new experience with an open mind and open heart.

Pauline

College is an excellent opportunity for young adults, having the chance to further your education gives you experience, knowledge and expertise in the field of your study. I encourage you as a high school student to further your education with a college degree of your choice. You are only preparing yourself for the real world, you will be ahead of your peers and qualified for a career job that will allow you to make good money, save money, enjoy life, go on vacations, buy a home, prepare you for your future family, allow you to raise your children in proper manner I can go on and on. Great things happen when you go to college you discover skills and your direction in life; you do things you would never thought you would have gotten an opportunity to do, like study abroad, choose a job in another country, or become a doctor where you could save a life, be the next president of the United States. Education is one of the best experiences a person could have. Obtaining a degree is one of the best accomplishments in your life. Always remember be the best you can be live and love life.

Tomika

My advice that I would have given myself is making sure I knew the major I wanted pursue before attending college as well as not waiting so long to start, I should have gotten the ball rolling as soon as I graduated from high school to further pursue my educational goals and stopped procrastinating because by now I could be done with school and working within my field of choice within the major that I had chosen.

Cassandra

"I'm going to make this short and sweet: Stop socializing and begin to take advantage of the education that your high school offers. Soak in all of this information, ask questions, get involved, these are opportunities that will allow you to stick out like a sore thumb in a crowd filled with other students. This will determine whether or not you will be accpted into that university, this will be the determining factor as to whether or not you receive help toward paying back your student loans. This may seem harsh but I don't have long to say everything I want to say. You may think that you are "unintelligent" but I can promise you that I have proved this accusation to be false and you can, too if you follow your heart and take the advice I am giving you. " "NEWSFLASH: you can and will be successful, it may not be easy but I know you can do it. No one has ever guided you toward success, all you need is this little push, some inspiration, dedication, and motivation. Set goals, push those negative thoughts away and prove that you have what it takes to be successful!"

Caitlin

I would tell myself to take a deep breath, smile, and introduce myself to people more than I did. People like friendly people and friendly people have friends.

Nazlin

Looking back on senior year and remembering the difficulty of choosing the right college, I would give myself the following advice: follow your heart, pick a school where you’ll not only excel but also have fun, compare the in state and out of state costs, think logically. I would also tell myself to try and imagine yourself their walking through the halls and going to class: Do you look happy or sad? Do you have friends or are you all alone? Are you falling asleep in class or engaging in the lectures? Is this what you want? Making the transition from college to high school easy for some and challenging for others, my advice to myself is to expect the unexpected, plan for the worst and hope for the best. While college is supposed to be challenging don’t forget that it’s also supposed to be the best years of your life.

Tanisha

Hey you, "WAKE UP", it's time to get on the right track. Education is the root of your life so seize the moment. While you are in high school lets start planning for your future. The first step is to stay healthy because it's a vital part of feeling good and having the energy needed to study and learn. Next get organized and stay balanced. Don't take your classes lightly give 200{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} because giving it all you got should be your top priority. Your GPA is your credit score so always keep it at your maximum. Last but not least, build relationships with your guidance counselors and teachers. Their knowledge can be the fire to help ignite your future. So feed your soul with as much knowledge as possible laying a foundation to better your future and reach your goals.

Danielle

As a high school senior, there was not a lot of emphasis placed on picking a major or career to pursue early on. I did not have any particular interest in any one subject, so I applied to many schools as a general studies major. Knowing what I know now, I would have spent a lot more time deciding what I was meant to do with this life and should have followed my passions. This world can be very distracting to a young person out on their own, and it is easy to lose focus, especially when you do not have a clearly set goal. I would have dreamed bigger, been more adventurous and more fearless. The transition from high school to college is indeed scary, but embracing that fear of the unknown is far more satisfying than becoming inhibited by it. Knowing what you want and seeing yourself in that role or position is a powerful motivator. And once you dedicate yourself to achieving that goal, absolutely no one can stop you.

Lindsay

Explore all options. Really think about what you want in college. Choosing the right campus is very important. You can to go to a school you will fall in love with. At first the transition may be tough but so is every new situation. Look at all the clubs and organizations you can get invloved with. Also look at the program for your major and which will give you the most real-world experience. And most importantly look as finances. Its always great when a school can offer scholarships and grants.