Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus

Maleah

Penn State is a great school if you want to have the college town experience and sometimes challenging academics. The campus is absolutely beautiful and there are many recreational activities. I believe there are 170+ clubs and although the party scene is big, there is not a lot of pressure to go out if you do not want to. With thousands of students, you will find others that have the same values and aspirations as you. The food is pretty good and the renovated housing is great (if you get a renovated dorm). Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming because you feel like a small fish in a huge puddle, but the networking opportunities are great. Penn State is pretty expensive, however, and they generally do not hand out many scholarships or aid, especially merit-based. You can have a 4.7 high school GPA and they will give you nothing, so keep that in mind.

Noah

It's a great campus but extremely overpriced and can be overrated. The professor are top notch and facilities are state of the art. When you are in state college it's like a miniature city which fits me as I prefer the hustle and bustle feel of a city.

Jonathan

This school is great and there is a spot for everyone to feel at home here! It's big enough to have everything and everyone and with enough organizations and clubs for there to be lots of opportunities to build a smaller network for yourself. The professors have typically been great and happy to talk and help any of their students.

Denisa

I love Penn State and everything about it. However, I would like them to bring forth more change in regards to social justice reforms and racial equality. Other than that, I'm so proud that I go here and that one day I will be an alumna

Utsav

Penn State is a really great campus with lots of fun activities going on all over the semesters especially football season. It has the best and highly educated professors with lots of experience in the area of their expertise. Recently one of the professors and his team was selected by NASA for Dragon Titan project in collaboration with JHU. This college has various labs, mentors, tutors to help students at every step of their career. I am really fortunate to be an alumnus of this college and forever remember it.

Jenny

I'm a third generation Chinese, attractive female. Visited campus and this is the most racist place I have ever visited. From the airport staff to the hotel to Penn State students, and prospective students, this was a terrible experience. An airport employee bumped into me and spilled a drink on me and just walked away, no apology. There were many other bad encounters too, definitely felt like a second class citizen. I asked Americanized Asians and blacks that I saw on campus and they confirmed my experiences—they had to find their own and were miserable prior to finding their own ethnicity. There was only one other Asian at the welcoming orientation. I spoke with professors and they were nice and so were some students telling me about the department but the general vibe of the student population was cold as ice. Only Caucasians should consider attending Penn State. It's also a subculture of silence and hushing (frat alcohol deaths, Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno). In addition, I heard the second flight is often cancelled, as they were when we visited too, not always from weather, but from lack of passengers. I wouldn't even attend here if I were white.

Abigail

I have been a true Penn Stater since I can remember, however it wasn't until I took my first college tour that I knew this was the place for me. Stepping onto that campus freshman year, I immediately felt like I belonged, that is a rare feeling as an incoming freshman. There are a lot of people but I feel like once you find your niche, you are so much more comfortable. Not only are there a lot of activities but there are a lot of facilities that are open to student use anytime of the day. You really feel like you belong and are welcomed, Penn State wants you to be successful so they have catered to that atmosphere. Overall, Penn State is a great campus with great attributes, if you want to go to a school that has a great athletic atmosphere and also be successful and find your place in the world, Penn State is the place for you.

Jenna

Pennsylvania is a very great school. Their campus is amazing, large but beautiful. The faculty, staff, and fellow students are very welcoming and friendly. Their facilities are very up to date. I am proud to be part if this university. Their tradition are very inclusive and makes me aware of how I have become part of something very special.

Great school, wonderful athletics. We live for the game and know how to study too. Professors are always willing to help you succeed. There's always something to do, and always a club or activity to join.

Joshua

From my very first day, Penn State-University Park has been everything I hoped for and more. The University went above and beyond to make sure the beginning of my freshman year was a smooth transition from high school to college. I never imagined a place other then my parents house could feel like home but PSU feels pretty close. The faculty are approachable and helpful. The campus is clean and safe. The food is delicious and offers something for every one. The student body show school spirit and pride and it's an awesome thing to be part of. I knew from day one that I made the Penn State was the place for me.

Courtney

Recently I think Penn State has received a bad reputation, but people tend to forget the great aspects that the University has. The most important part of being a Penn State student comes from having an involvement with THON- the largest student run philanthropy devoted to saving kids with pediatric cancer. I don't know a single student who hasn't contributed to the cause in some way at University Park. The campus is large and overwhelming at first, but every person finds their group or niche to make the University seem smaller and more like home. I personally joined the Irish dance team and made friends there, so if that doesn't convince prospective students that there is a place for anybody, I don't know what will!

kyra-nicole

Penn State is the only place that isn't my actual home that feels like home. Everything about this place is wonderful! There's no better unity than 170,000 people being huddled together in a stadium cheering on our team. There's always something to do and there's always tons of people to do it with. Once you are a Penn Stater you will always want to be one not only because of the people but also because of the academics, atmosphere, and beautiful campus.

Sydney

Penn State is not for everyone. It is a very big place that people often get lost in. For me, it has been a dream fulfilled. The academics are great and the sports are to die for. I met my best friends in the first week of class and take full advantage of everything the school has to offer. I love this place and wouldn't go anywhere else.

I couldn't be happier here! Penn State has everything you need. I as very involved in my studies, so I always make use of the facilities and professors' office hours. But, there are also so many opportunities for social life. While it has the stigma of being a large school, you never get the sense of being lost in the crowd. I have had classes with 200 people, and I have had classes with 20 people. Also, all of your classes pertain to your major, so you will instantly have a group of friends to follow with through the next 4 years.

Briana

Penn State is a very big school, which allows it to have a huge amount of opportunities from academic clubs, to fun clubs, to sororities and fraternities also for fun or service or academic. It is a very big party school however, but if you aren't into partying, no problem. There are others like you, you just have to go find them. Get involved!

Julia

Penn State is an extremely strong academic school and is one of the strongest research schools in the country, it is very easy to get involved. Since it is such a big school there are plenty of extracurriculars for everyone. However, there is a huge emphasis on partying and drugs that have ruined lives, and the fraternities are not to be trusted. If I were able to go back I would not even consider Penn State.

Taaseen

Penn State- Main campus is a high academic performing university for those who want to attend. The entire school livens up during football season as it is taking very seriously here. It is a part of the Big Ten after all. The renovated halls are nicely done but the traditional ones are a bit lacking. There are a variety of places to eat from so it is easy to find something you like. Facilities include laundry rooms and cleaning supples and crew among other things. There is a number of shops and services nearby but not a great variety. There are small and large classes available so the opportunity to experience both is there. Students typically study during the week and have fun on the weekends.

Zabrina

I think Penn State is a great school. Personally, it is not for me. The party scene is enormous. Professors do have office hours and have plenty of resources for help but it may clash with your schedule and your 500 other classmates may also come for help. It's very difficult to find everything as a first year student. There is no time to get used to this new environment. Some students may love this amazing experience. If you rather small classes and less of a party school, then Penn State may not be it. I am lucky to be in a nice dorm with good food in our commons. It's not a bad school but I do find myself stressed out and very overwhelmed constantly.

Ian

Penn State has an exceptional material science and engineering program, with helpful faculty, staff, and resources. There are plenty of students who go to football games, parties, drink, stuff like that, but not all of that and you can have a wonderful social life without that if that is what you want. Try the Penn State Karate Club if you are looking for fitness, fun, self-defense, or whatever else you are looking for in a martial art.

Brya

I think PennState is wonderful school that pushes their students to be the best they can be! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great college with lots resources,fun, and diversity.

Kaylah

Penn State does provide a lot of resources to ensure its students' success, but there is definitely room for improvement. Especially with how much they charge us and food options. I feel like they could improve on what food is available and how long there is available food because sometimes 8PM is too early for dinner for some people. Also, there should be more modes of transportation for people who live off-campus, or even late-night shuttles for on campus students. In addition to that, I think that Penn State should do a better job at letting its students know about the resources available on campus because I feel like each year, there are new resources that I am constantly learning about when they've been here the entire time.

Alyssa

My overall opinion of the Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus is that this location is probably the best college to which I am able to go. The college is one of the top ten schools in the country for engineering majors, with plenty of extra-curricular activities in which I can participate to satisfy my social and creative needs.

I love University Park! I could not see myself attending school anywhere else. I adore the small, but eventful town of State College. The university, while big, can seem so small when you make all of the necessary connections with teachers and peers.

Annalyse

My overall opinion of Penn State Main Campus is that it is a very good school to come to if you are not sure of your major. They offer very good programs across the board for their majors and they offer a lot of majors. You can also kind of create your own major too. Along with that, it is a very good research school if you are looking to get in to research. There are plenty of opportunities to join in any kind of research lab. Lastly there are lots and lots of networking opportunities, whether with professors, in labs or at career fairs, you will have plenty of options when coming here.

Erica

LOVE IT

Tianna

Penn State is the kind of school that brings color into your life. I recently had the opportunity to go to Cuba through a study abroad program, and it was the most eye-opening experience I have ever had the opportunity of taking part of. Cuba is a popular destination for tourism, and yet the people must deal with the devastating effects of lack of food and clean water. I arrived in Cuba with a materialistic mindset, and one of the most life-changing moments for me on my trip to Havana was when I realized that I lost my favorite pair of shoes. I left them behind at one of the hotels, and I was nearly in tears telling my professor about the incident. Yet, she looked at me like I was insane, and she said to me, "Honey, these people are so poor. I know you want your shoes back, but someone will wear them with pride, someone who needs them a lot more than you do." I was so furious over my shoes that it did not occur to me that maybe someone else needed them more. I thought that I needed my things, and yet it took losing something that mattered to me for me to realize just how meaningless material items are. What guides me is that I do not ever want to be the person I was before I went to Cuba. On my last day in Cuba, I gave pesos (Cuban currency) to a begging man. I cannot put into words exactly what it feels like to give something to someone who needs it, but I know this - I want to know that feeling again and again. I do not ever want to stop knowing what it feels like to give to someone. People are struggling, and it is not enough to wait for things to get better. The beaches are covered in filth and trash, which harms the marine ecosystems, and the local communities lack school materials. The issue is that everyone is waiting for things to get better, but very little is being done to address these issues. It is easy to believe that things will just get better on their own, but unfortunately, that has never been the case. I am currently working with another Penn State student to develop an environmental policy for protecting Cuba’s environment. Yet, there are many other issues that need to be dealt with. I am motivated to guide people in understanding that things need to change. One important lesson that I learned in Cuba is that you cannot just throw things in someone's face and expect them to care. It always seems as though it is ignorance why people make harmful environmental decisions, but often, it is a lack of awareness. Instead of being angry and looking for someone to blame for the toll that pollution has taken on the environment and the poverty-stricken people, we must offer guidance and lend a helping hand. Altogether, I have learned this: the environment speaks for itself in ways that we cannot necessarily hear, but must see with our own eyes. Maybe certain issues fail to seem like a big deal right now, but they will be, because everything is always okay until one day it's not. We're always thinking that there's so much time left to fix things, and then one day, we’re scrambling to find a solution, because we’re out of time. I have come to face-to-face with multiple issues in the world - poverty, lack of education, pollution - and things have never been clearer. I am motivated to carry the lessons that I have learned from Cuba with me and make a difference in every community I travel to. I believe that I am blessed to know such a beautiful world, but there are still many issues that need to be properly addressed. Everything that I learned in Cuba was because of Penn State. Many schools do not offer opportunities such as this one. I had the chance to get a glimpse of the world because of what Penn State has given to me, and I am more than anything grateful.

Seth

Penn state main campus is a great place. There's plenty of things that you can on campus. For example, you can be an elite athlete, apart of the Greek community, or be apart of a club. That stuff is just only a small fraction of the things you can do. Life at main campus is fun and you can definitly enjoy your student career here.

gina

I'm currently enrolled in the online program and it is amazing ! This was my first choice and I don;t regret it at all. I'm very happy I decided to attend Penn State because I know my education will be worth it with all the professors that take the time to educate us.

Jamileth

Penn State is honestly the best campus. Not only is the scenery beautiful but the people are too. No matter where you are there is always something to do or something to be a part of. This experience is like no other. Football is the biggest thing on campus. Being able to tailgate and have fun with friends and others is what Penn State is all about. The academics are so important and the professors show interest in students and show that they really do care. The campus has a great vibe and you are always meeting new and creative people. Those are only a few of the things that make this campus so great.

Lynn

Its a really great place to go to school. I take about 5 classes a week (about 17 credits) and have plenty of time to study and go to events. The library there is absolutely amazing. There are plenty of university staff anywhere through the university that are willing to help you if you need it. If you live in the dorms I recommend getting friendly with the cleaning staff, they are awesome! All of the dorms have secured doors that you can only get into if you have a key card. There are tons of places to eat on and off of campus and the food on campus is actually really good. There are always tons of options to choose from. The dining commons even have kosher and gluten free options as well as vegetarian and vegan options. Overall, I've had a great experience here.

Nufar

As a transfer student from a community college, it was a drastic change from classes of 30 students to 300. Some lecture halls hold up to 700 students. However, the teachers are great, and very enthusiastic about what they teach. Penn State is one of the top engineering schools in the world, and as an engineering major I can guarantee that you will receive the best education here, and even enjoy amazing football games. Every student will find a club for their hobbies, fandom, and political view. My favorite clubs are the ones that actively participate on campus, raising awareness on issues such as sustainability or LGBT-friendliness. Not every student at Penn State is ready to make the future a better place, but these activists are nudging them in the right direction.

Molly

This is my dream school. I stepped foot on campus and just fell in love. There's not a doubt in my mind that the out of state tuition is worth the experience and the education. By committing to this beautiful institution, I am confident in my future. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved, meet new people, and achieve any dream. I am not only Penn State, but WE ARE.

Abigail

It is very difficult academically, but there is always ways to get help whether it is through office hours, review sessions, or the free university tutoring programs. The social life is very inclusive and there is always something to do. Football is life, but there are also SOOOO many opportunities for the artistic kids.

Akanksha

Penn State is where you have the best aspects of student activities, academics, and opportunities to advance your career. Because there is no doubt that people come to college because they want to be able to do more and become better versions of themselves, and Penn State main campus is the place to be to do just that.

Amelia

Pennsylvania State University is a decent school. They have a variety of extracurricular activities and academic opportunities. Alumni and networking opportunities are abundant. PSU has a lot of school spirit, and life on campus and in the surrounding area can get overwhelming during football season.

Kristen

If you love sports, partying, drinking, and people, this is the school for you. If you hate all of those then you should probably look somewhere else or try a branch campus. The academics are great and for the programs I'm in, the professors truly want to help you succeed. Depending on your major, if you put in the effort there's no reason you won't pass. Party life is the only life here, so get ready to know people's latest drinking stories before you know their names. Sports, specifically football is big too but that's avoidable if you hate crowds. Other than that the only issue is parking or rather a lack of it. Overall cons: Partying, drinking, drugs, crowds. Overall pros: strong academics, large alumni network, plenty of extracurricular clubs and activities to do.

Nathaniel

I came to Penn State on somewhat of a whim and haven't started regretting it yet. There are a ton of things to do outside of class and you'll rarely find someone with a shortage of friends who share their interests. The academics are strong as well and I have found myself more involved with others than I ever have been.

Jasmine

Penn state is a good school, but lacks communication between the main campus and its branch campuses. Upon transferring to the main campus, I was made aware of the division and lack of understanding of course requirements between my branch campus advisors and my main campus advisors. This only wound up hurting me and other students in my position in the long run. There are however many resources, clubs and organizations in campus to help transfer students and students of color adjust and find their spot in a predominantly white university.

Nandrea

Academic wise it's more challenging than you would expect (in a good way of course). There are so many courses to choose from major or non major wise. The professors always want you to do your best, and always work with the students to make sure they get the best experience possible. There are a lot of food options both on campus and off so you can never run out. The community around campus is also very supportive of Penn State students. And game days is when you really see pride in the community. Family's come out, friends from other schools, even dogs! Game days are always great days. There is also over 500 clubs and organizations so there is are many ways to get your mind off academics. Penn State is just an overall amazing school, and I am so glad I chose to go here.

Seems really big but it gives you opportunity to thrive! Within two weeks you will know the campus like the back of your hand. No matter what you are interested in there is always something to do on the weekends, both on and off campus. Penn State gives you the chance to grow into the person you always wanted to be.

Jack

Love it all--Great school spirit. Always something to do rather it's sports, arts, Greek life , philanthropy. -Career services is among the best. Great academics! THON weekend must be experienced. We have our own Creamery:best ice-cream ever. We Are!

Shin Ah

Penn State is a nice, big place with something happening every day. The people are great and there is a huge diversity of races in the main campus. There are many clubs that many different people can join and the Pattee/Paterno Library is the best place ever.

Going to Penn State was the best decision I could have ever made. I feel confident in being able to get the best education I can get therefore helping me get a job in the future. Because they have the biggest alumni association in the world there have been many opportunities for me to network and find an internship which was extremely important to me.

Iyshia

Penn State is a campus with so many opportunities. While many students partake in party culture, we still excel in classes and make time for extracurricular activities. Not everyone agrees on politics, but everyone is allowed to protest or speak out about their opinions. While different life experiences can pull us apart, our love for the game brings us back together. Game day at Beaver Stadium is like no other. As we link arms and sing the Alma Mater, we forget all negativity and are one. We Are!

Sydney

I love Pennsylvania State University- Main Campus. There is always something to do. There is never a dull moment, while the atmosphere still remains very academically strong. I would not want to be anywhere else. It is a fun atmosphere, and the people are so accepting and not judging.

Jesse

The Pennsylvania State University is the epitome of the of the "big college" experience in the United States. It has the athletic excellence and extreme fandom that is usually only found in professional sports. The academics are second to none. Finding and interesting professor, class, or major is incredibly simple with the variety that are offered. Outside of the classroom, there is never a dull moment with the wide array of clubs and social groups. There is a reason that the decision to attend Penn State is held in such high regard. I would not take back a single moment of my experience at this institution.

Kashyia

It is a great campus with multiple opportunities for all students from all areas of the world. The diversity on campus could be much better. Penn State hosts many events for students to have fun and learn more about career options for after graduation and many students already have job offers by the time they graduate. I highly recommend this university.

Gabrielle

The name "Penn State" means something different to everyone. To one person, it may be a family legacy honored across generations of alumni. To another, it is the quintessential name in college football. To me, though, and to thousands of other Nittany Lions, Penn State is acceptance, encouragement, and possibility. Penn State, for me, though, is all adventure. I grew up in a small town of 5,000, so PSU was a significant change of environment. My choice of school, offering almost two hundred majors and containing over a thousand clubs, caught my attention with its abundance of diversity. Here at University Park, each day is an opportunity to learn: everyone here, be they student or professor or staff member, has the capability to share a unique perspective. I have learned so much about other fields, cultures, obscure hobbies and interests, simply from my interactions in classes, clubs, and residence halls. Being a member of the Schreyer Honors College has given me unique opportunities in this regard: as a member of the GLOBE living-learning community within Schreyer, I live in a dorm with students from all around the world, all willing to participate in mandatory floor events to share their ideas and beliefs with one another. For someone wishing to get the most out of their college experience, I could not recommend Penn State more. This institution will grant you the chance to try new things in a capacity you've never had before; for me, this has been everything from food items to areas of study! This past year I've taken technical drawing under a master architect, pit-fired pottery, learned the anatomy and identification of dozens of native plants, examined a human skull for its biological profile, deliberated with members of the community, and much, much more. The options here are limitless and I cannot wait to become more involved in my sophomore year. It is as President Barron himself said at my freshman convocation: when you enroll at Penn State, you're buying a blue-and-white sports car. Don't drive it at five miles per hour.

Alec

I enjoy Penn State main, there is always something to do, you just have to know where to look. The food on campus is good but some of the places have odd hours. The campus is pretty lively during football season and the town essentially shuts down when there is a home game.

Cierra

Penn State is the school that is full of opportunities during college and after you graduate. You will feel apart of a big family when you go to Penn State. You can always find a way to get involved and get the best out of college. I couldn't have seen myself at any other college. WE ARE…PENN STATE!