Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Abington Top Questions

Dat

Listen past me. College is fun, you have a lot more freedom, and you will meet some new interesting people. But this just means you'll have more responsibility, you'll end up spending a lot of money on and off campus, also you'll need to make friends if you want to survive college. Work on all of your basic skills in writing, math, english, etc. And the most important advice would be to NEVER take a class with one of your good friends for fun. You'll either end up failing and damaging your GPA or waste your time in that class and not learn due to the fact that you will care for socializing more than the course itself

Looking back at the way I was in high school and my mind set at that point in my life I would have a few pieces of advice to younger self. First off I would tell myself the cost of the college should be a major factor when it comes to deciding on a school something I did not do. Next I would tell myself that education over sports is how my viewpoint needs to be as a prospective athlete looking for where to attend. Finally I would say is that I need to pick out a profession that I want before I start school. Then lay out the steps and goals I need in order to acquire the profession I desire. I feel that overall my guiding principle when it comes to higher education is get the best possible education for the lowest possible financial burden.

Shenee'

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself is “Apply for scholarships early!” In high school, I used to think I would be in college with a few renewable scholarships automatically applied to my tuition bills each semester. However, I was completely wrong. It didn't even matter if you're living with one parent with a limited amount of income; the tuition bills never decreased. My college tuition bills were paid through increases in stafford loans because my parent plus loans were constantly declined. On top of that, I was so engrossed in my classes and assignments I ignored other scholarship opportunities (even if my chances of winning were small). I only got one scholarship through asking and it was only $104 I got. Though I had the right mind set for my classes, I was too lazy and ignorant to search for financial resources because of what I thought my finances would be like. If I could tell my old self this, my financial aid would be better than it is today.

Kristine

College is very different than high school. Although, in a school like Penn State Abington, it may seem the same. You wake up in the morning, drive to school, stay for 7/8 hours and go home and that's the end of your school day. However, it's definitely not as easy as high school. Kristine, you are a smart girl. Getting through grade, middle, and high schools were easy for you. You never had to study and you always did well. And since you were pressured to get your work done, or otherwise your teachers would call home, it was easy to do well. In college, it's not as easy. You need to hold yourself accountable. You need to realize that you need to study. It's not enough to take notes and pay attention. Studying is a bore, but it's necessary. And when it comes to getting involved on campus, don't hold back. Put yourself out there and try and make friends. "College is the best time of your life," after all. Might as well make friends and actually make it the best time of your life. Good luck, kid.

Jacky

Study hard, don't slack off and do your best. College is time consuming since everything is on yourself now and everything needs to be done on your own.

Joanell

When I graduated from high school I thought that college life would be as easy as high school was. I thought that I was going to be able to get away with works that I, most of the time, did not returned to the teacher, or returned it late and still get full grade for it. When I entered college, I started doing the same things that I was doing in high school, and I was falling my most of my courses, and that was when I realize that high school and college where very different. The advice that I would give to myself if I was in high school would have been that in order to succeed I will have to work hard. Working hard is what will make me appreciate the things that I have in life. Maybe because my diploma was given and not earned made me think that I will have the same outcome in college, but once I entered college it help me realize that if I don't work hard for what I want, I will not get what I want.

Kelly -- Make sure that you study hard and don't slack in anything. TALK to your professors if there is even a small issue. THAT IS WHAT THEY'RE THERE FOR. Work hard, but enjoy these next few years.

Marcus

Meeting all the diverse people on any Penn State campus.

When I was in high school, I didn't care too much for high grades and perfect papers. I knew I could do well if I tried, but I just didn't have the drive to do so. My priorities were not where they should have been. The summer going into my freshman year at college, I told myself and everyone else that I was going to apply myself and do well, and that I did. My first semester of school I earned a 3.5 GPA and was selected for the Dean's List. As this semester comes to a close, I am continuing to work hard to keep my GPA in the Dean's List range. My college experience so far has helped me to set my priorities straight and given me more of a focus in my life. My educational achievements are something I'm very proud of. Although I don't always like attending a commuter campus, living at home for the first year has really helped me focus on my schoolwork, and I feel as though now I have the ability to transfer to a live-away school next year and still succeed in school.

I have obtained a broader knowledge of many subjects.

Dominique

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now, the first thing I would tell myself would be to STUDY STUDY STUDY, there would be no way I would succeed if I did not study, and not just for 15-20 mins no hours at a time. My teacher told me in the start of my first semester for every hour in their class spent two hours outside of school studying, and that advice has carried me a long way. The second thing I would tell myself would be to surround myself with other students with the common interest of working hard and staying focused on the task at hand, do not allow people that do not want better for themeselves to take you off your square. Lastly would be to know your professors. make sure to reach out to them for help when you do not understand the work never be afraid to ask questions, do not let the work slip to far away from you, get a tutor if need be but never give up.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice for college, I would tell myself to be open and make alot of friends, you are never going to get to know anyone if you don't try. Friends as well as your education make you college experience. I would probably tell myself to get more invoved at school if it had fit into my schedule a little more. Its hard to be involved in school when you work so much while since it is a commuter school it is hard to make friends that are always around. I would tell myself to enjoy the experience.

diane

If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self something, it would be to think about what you really want to do with the rest of your life and to not be afraid to experiment with different fields. Also, to never give up on your dreams because there is something out there for everything and everyone. I would tell myself to look for as many scholarships and fianancial aid as you possible can because college is differently not cheap. Saving money is also something that can you could benfit from because it can provide food or money for books that are also very expensive. Overall, just believe in yourself and know that everything is possible and that yes, it will get difficult and stressful at times, but you can overcome that and succeed.

Never give up. Never run away from a hard class or assignment. Go to Penn State.

Wilner

If i could go back and time to my senior i think i would try to give my senior self to take advantage of the full college fun, because i was so caught up with school work i hadly had anytime for a campus activities, and trips. if i did spend more time on school activities and trips, maybe i would have communicate more with my fellow classmates.

Dian

after graduated from high school, my life not good as i imagine. but, thanks God helped me thorugh each of my problem during that time until now. after graduated from high school i went to Community college for one semester only because i cant afford my tuition. after that i helped my family in financial problem. until now i could go back to school. my advice is i have to fight hard to get a higher education. because higher education is something that i could keep throughout my life time. i have to more focus with my goals and never wasting my time to reach my education. although, i have to worked harder to get that. i will not give up.

I would tell myself to really think about all of the factors affecting where I would go to school; how I would pay for things like housing and meal plans, transporation, the options for the major I want and any work studies or study abroad programs. My main advice would be to not listen to everyone else who thinks they know what's what, but to do my own research, make the phone calls and find out the pertinent information to make an informed decision. Basically, I would tell myself to put more effort into choosing a college and think about everything that would affect my decision. Ultimately, my advice would be to do what's best for myself and my future

dominique

make sure u do as many scholarships as possible because college is not cheap

DAPHNEE

CONTINUE TO DO WELL.

Make a plan early and follow through with it. Always have backup plans so that if anything falls through you can go another route. Take into consideration factors like housing, meal plans and financial aid. Don't worry about where your friends are going, do what's best for you.

Be realistic. If you don't like to constantly be around people, pick a smaller school.