Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Altoona Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Altoona

Meriam

It is a very good school! You can always do 2+2 and all if you want to transfer from their other campus to finish at main, but make sure you know what path you want to take. And also the teachers are very good and just everything for you to have a successful 4 years.

Imani

The Pennsylvania State University at Altoona is a wonderful university if you're looking for a small college feeling while still receiving the Penn State experience. The university is only forty minutes away from the main campus and is set in a quaint homelike town.

Carli

After attending Penn State Altoona, I can say that I took advantage of my surroundings & learned so much along the way. The small size of PSUA was awesome. It allowed me to get close with my professors and classmates. That being said, I never felt awkward asking a question during lecture or going to office hours. The fact that PSUA is so close to Main Campus was also a great plus for me. I bought season tickets to the Penn State football games both years I attended PSUA. This is a great two year campus, that truly prepared me for my next two years at Main Campus!

Skye

Overall I think that Pennsylvania State University Altoona is an okay University. This campus is filled with mediocre professors. There are too many professors that are recommended to not be taken because the class is just that hard because the professor does not know how to teach.

AMELIA

I love Penn State! It's a great community with great people. It's a really nice atmosphere. I've made new friends and there is always lots to do. I'm a photography major and there are some many pretty places around campus to take pictures. The food is really good in the cafeteria too. Lots of variety.

Ayjah

Penn State Altoona is even better than I thought it would be! The people are wonderful, the academics are superb and the overall atmosphere is great! It isn't a huge campus but its absolutely beautiful. The professors want you to succeed and are very accessible for help. I would most definitely recommend this school to anyone looking for good opportunities!

Bernadette

Penn State Altoona is too often considered "just a branch campus" and not often enough considered just as big a part of Penn State as any other campus, University Park included! We ARE a campus full of vibrant students with varied interests, WE ARE a campus full of some of the best and brightest educators in all of the Penn State System, WE ARE a campus with extremely high set standards and WE ARE a campus with faculty who supports our dreams and efforts at every turn! Penn State Altoona is one of the best universities in the country and has provided not only a beautiful atmosphere, amazing staff and brilliant faculty but it provides each student with a degree that will show everyone in the world that WE ARE PENN STATE!

I really like the smaller campus size and class sizes, especially as an older student going back later in life. All of my professors and great and readily available. I personally don't get involved with any extra curricular activites but I do know there are many options.

Mikah

This campus have a very pretty appearance but this Penn State campus is horrible. The atmosphere is like high school all over again involving immaturity and ignorance from both students and administration whereas they also blame others for their problems or their mistakes and can never own up to anything. Academically, they don't have all the required classes for you to take for your major unless your major program is held there directly and some professors lack support and consistency which decreases the interest of the class. Also, the safety on campus is horrible even though they lie as if everyone is safe... no. There was a sexual assault on our campus and the University Police and School of Conduct did so little in solving the issue which ended with the student leaving campus except for the assaulter. To add on, a student was on drugs while driving his car and he crashed into three other cars which were owned by students. This student was allowed to come back onto campus after doing such thing. The choices and the decisions that this campus makes for their students and for themselves is unorganized, unprofessional and conducted in an unmannerly fashion. DO NOT ATTEND THIS CAMPUS!! Every friend that I have has transferred from this campus after their 1st or 2nd year.

Morgan

I love Penn State Altoona and would recommend it to anyone looking to attend college! All of the students and faculty are extremely nice and try their hardest to make you feel at home. You are sure to better your academic skills along with your social skills also.

Victoria

I am so proud to be a Penn State student. There is no other place like it. I have made so many new friends and had so many great opportunities to show the world who I am here. I could not do any of the things I do here back at home. The staff are so friendly and the people you meet are from all over so you get to learn something new every single day. I never want to leave this place that I call my home .

MARGARET

I enjoyed Penn state. I thought the staff was amazing and very reliable. It was not as large as most campuses, so everyone was able to get to know each other very well. We felt like a family.

MARGARET

Maddie

Penn State Altoona is a great place when looking to transition into main campus. This small campus offers all the amazing academics and resources that University Park offers, but in a much more comfortable environment. The staff is extremely accessible and you never feel like just a face in the crowd. All in all, Penn State Altoona works as a second home to many students not quite ready to make the big leap into University Park

Evan

I believe Penn State Altoona was a great choice for an incoming freshman who came from a very small rural town. I would much rather prefer going to this branch campus rather than jumping straight into main campus as it was a good transition into college life and overall a great learning experience.

I enjoy how small it is, because I can know my professors on a personal level. I am not a number like University Park does to the students, because it is must bigger. I enjoy how their curriculum at Penn State Altoona is very knowledgable and that the professors help you with understanding the material.

Carly

The best school I could have chosen.

Olivia

Altoona has one of most beautiful college campuses I have ever seen especially when it comes to the pond. Ducks, koi, and turtles populate the pond and give it a nice atmosphere for studying, walking, or picnicking. There is no place I would rather go to college!

Hunter

Average, can't wait for main campus next year. Altoona is definitely a good stepping stone for students not quite ready to leap right into a huge state school. But after awhile Altoona itself is a boring city and there's not much to do outside of campus. Classes are easy and you should be able to get to state without a problem.

Beth

It can be boring if you do not have a car as there is nothing to do immediately off campus. All the shops and stuff are a good 15-20 minute drive but I don't mind. I love the free activities (especially the t-shirts). The gym is pretty nice, but it can be a bit crowded at times. I loved almost all my classes so far. The professors are all available to answer questions. If they do not have office hours, they can at least be contacted through email or phone. Finally, the parties are pretty fun if you can get into the right ones.

Sheila

Penn State Altoona is a beautiful campus, no matter the season. Art is encouraged, and I've always been involved with music throughout my life, so I feel right at home. I don't know much about the extracurricular activities because I have a part time job on campus in the cafeteria (which as been an amazing experience, and I couldn't have found a better job to have while being a full-time Biology student). There is a bit more partying than I would prefer, so I tend to avoid social gatherings.

Cindy

I love Penn State Altoona! The campus is a small campus that I feel very safe on. It is beautiful with a pond and many trees. Even though Penn State Altoona is small, there is a very diverse culture attending the campus. I am meeting other students from around the state, country and world. There are activities for any who choose to do an activity with a wide variety catering to the likes of most people. Class sizes are small and personal. The learning environment is excellent. The professors at Penn State Altoona are caring and are very accessible if a student is having trouble or concerns. Along with the professors, there are many available services to those who need services. My parents and I have had to consult with all the offices and services Penn State Altoona has to offer. Everybody we have had contact with is concerned, caring and goes above and beyond to help! I would certainly recommend Penn State Altoona to anybody considering it. This is a great school, second to none!

Mark

PSU Altoona is a excellent transition from high school to a large scale 45k student university at UP. The academics and student life on campus are great in the fact that they are exceptional. Staff and Admin are well mannered and caring , you’ll be in good hands here. The surrounding town of Altoona is fairly descolate, depending where your from. The entire town doesn’t have much to do but there is a “dead-beat” mall no one goes too, and a million restaurants and shops in downtown toon town, gotta drive there though. The party scene is crazy, you can find at least 5 bangers going on any night of the week, kids always getting alcohol poisoning, every drug you can imagine. The frats and sororities are awful though. There’s only APD really and their a bit strange, Sig Pi doesn’t have much of a presence since their house is 20 minutes from campus. All in all PSUA sucks. Don’t go here.

Payton

PSU Altoona is a very wonderful campus! It is very nice to get used to college life here before moving up to University Park. There are things to do on campus, like plenty of events and sports games. There is also plenty of things to do off campus, like a great mall and plenty of restaurants.

jameke

I believe that Penn State offers so many opportunities, and people should take advantage because it can get you very far in life. The environment is excellent and I do not feel the need to not be myself around everyone. It's a great school and I love it!

Penn State Altoona is a wonderful campus and has plenty of activities to partake in. The students and faculty are all easy-going and are good to talk to when a problem may occur. This is my first year in college and I am so glad I chose Penn State Altoona.

Andrew

The campus has a quiet humble overall atmosphere during the day and evening, while having fun opportunities at night. The quality of the courses is stellar. Some professors take their role seriously and can truly help you grow others are just there for the paycheck. My biggest complaint is the food quality and selection at Port Sky, is it just poor, not nutritious, and lacks flavor.

Justin

Penn State University's Altoona campus truly brings to bear the very best that Penn State has to offer. The Penn State Altoona campus is only 30 minutes away from the Main Campus which allows for students to be apart of the excitement of what "State College", PSU Football weekends, etc. has to offer, while attending a high quality campus with much smaller class size's. Being a branch campus that was so close, we had several professionals that taught classes in Altoona and even had the opportunity to take classes at the main campus. The facilities, buildings and campus housing were all high quality as well. If you're someone that wants a degree that carries the weight of a school like Penn State but the "big campus" environment isn't the best fit for you - check out PSUA. It's truly the best of all worlds!

Leoni

It's not unbearable, but it could be better compared to University Park. I've gotten used to the small school and area though, but I'm counting down the days until I transfer to main campus. There is only one dining hall so I tend to eat out a lot as well as my friend. I have a good solid group of friends since we're a smaller school we get to know everyone, at least their face, like high school.

Overall, my opinion regarding Penn State Altoona is exceptionally high. The academics set themselves apart from other campuses by providing an in depth look at the subject matter, and creating a positive learning environment. The cheerful atmosphere surrounding the campus allows for one to feel at home all while encouraging students to excel in their majors. Additionally, Penn State Altoona advocates for student engagement, prompting students to express their interests outside of their career goals. To summarize, Penn State Altoona sets itself apart not only in academics but also in setting the standard for a true college experience.

Cheyenne

this has been my dream school, and they are very involved with their students and push us to to the best. Their campus is beautiful and is very comfortable. Also the upper classes are very welcoming and their extra activities are very intriguing and I know I will strive at Penn State Altoona