Erie, PA
Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Erie-Behrend College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Erie-Behrend College

I would tell myself to do everything you can, if that means working more hours, doing more research, or finding good opportunities that make you stand out compared to everyone else do it. College is totally different than highschool, it is alot of work and time. I have always been the type of person to get things done as early as possible, so I would tell myself maybe to manage my time and get things done first that are due earlier. Also stick to your values is a big one, when you get to college morals and values of other students are very different. If you don't like something do not do it. If you feel it's wrong stick to your gut. I would tell myself to meet as many people, those people or clubs you join could really help you out and make you stand out compared to someone else. Most importantly be yourself, and do not give up when life gets hard, college is rough but if you have the right attitude then you can get through anything.

I feel that the education is very benefical. I feel like most all the professors and the student life are all very friendly and willing to help you out when it is needed. I also like the fact that they give free tutoring and it's very helpful and organized.

Being type one diabetic, it is important for me to be very healthy. I feel like the food options on campus are very poor, for someone who needs to know the nutritional value of food items it becomes more of a hassle than anything.

Dear 17 year old me, Hello. This is your future self from college. There are a few things I wish to tell you and advise you on. I know you had already planned on staying close to home to study for college but ultimately, you will branch out into searching for schools outside of the state once you realize that your dreams and aspirations reside elsewhere. Kudos to you for that because guess what? You will end up on the other side of the country to go to school! And a pretty darn good school at that. But anyway, I digress. I also wanted to let you know that you must take advantage of your time now looking for ways to save for college, because you and I both know no one will be able to help. At least not that much. Look up scholarships online and apply, apply, apply. Save up your money while you work, budget your spending, and be prepared. Know what's important to you and think ahead because unless you want your family to have more faith in your abilities while working toward higher education, then show them just how much you really do care!

Carey

Looking back at my senior year of high school I wish I would have been more prepared for what was to come. College is not easy by any means and I would have wanted to be more prepared for classes and have someone explain to me the work that has to be put into each individual course you take. The whole transition from high school to college is a scary thing. My advice would be to go in prepared, plan everything out starting with your schedule down too how much studying you should do for each of your classes even if you don't have a test in that course. Also getting involved on Campus is the key to success the more involved you are on campus the more you are likely to be successful.

The best thing I would say about Erie Behrend College would be how committed to the faculty is to teaching us our studies and the commitment they have to their jobs. This makes all the students try a lot harder at what they are studying and it makes us want to succeed and push harder for that success everyone's trying to achieve.

I wouldn't consider it bragging because bragging is not a good quality to have but I think that Penn State Erie is a very well rounded College for that matter. When you walk into the campus you just feel like you have been there for years and everyone welcomes you. I learned that as a transfer student which was very comforting to know how open to new students Penn State Erie is and being diverse is a very good quality to have.

Ryeisha

If I can go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to practice better study habits and read more. College is something that you have to give your all and more. Always go above and beyond in your work because in the end it will pay off.

Some people around think you do not amount to them

John

Don't be too hard on yourself. When times get tough, you can ask for help through the tutoring department and they will help you stay on track. Stay focused, keep studying and have fun on the weekends. You will meet alot of nice people and you will really enjoy college. Remember to work as hard as you can and call home once in a while to keep grounded with the family.

I wish I started using the tutoring classes alot earlier than I did. I should have taken some summer classes to be ahead of the amount of classes needed to graduate.

The classes are very difficult and fast-paced. If you don't study and stay focused, you will probably flunk your classes.

The best thing about Penn State is that there is something here for everyone. Practically every major you could think of, any club you would want to join, I would bet money Penn State has it. The school is large, yes, but it's only as large as you want to make it. The more involved you get, the smaller it becomes. Teachers do a great job of making you feel like a person instead of a number, even in large lectures. They will do anything to help you succeed and genuinely want to see their students do well. People always are impressed when I tell them I'm a senior at Penn State. They hear the name and automatically think great things about the school, the campus, the prestige it offers. This is another great thing about Penn State- it has a great reputation and almost everyone has heard of it. The downtown area of PSU is great too. There are plenty of shops and practically everything you could ever need is right here, just down the hill from campus. The school pride is tangible on campus and its infectious. It is rare to walk through campus without hearing "WE ARE....PENN STATE!" It's a great feeling going to a school where its students are proud to be there and be a part of the University.

I'm not sure I could say which are the most popular student groups because there are so many. Sports are a big interest, but they wouldn't make up the majority. Many people choose to go Greek, but frats/sororities would only make up less than a quarter of the student body. Many of the student clubs are involved in THON, the dance marathon supporting the Hershey Medical Center's Pediatric Cancer research and Four Diamonds Fund. Last year, there were over 1,000 dancers from hundreds of student groups and branch campuses, and they all worked together in raising over $9.5 million towards the Four Diamonds Fund, supporting families of children with pediatric cancer. Students in dorms are very friendly and the dorms are a great place to make friends. Drinking and partying is popular, just as at almost every other college in the US, but its not the only thing students do on weekends. There are several options for students who don't want to drink and the University does a great job of promoting the alternatives and providing things people would actually want to take part in. Every month there is a guest speaker provided by the university and several student organizations get speakers and put on events as well. There is always something unique to do any given night of the week.

In one word, students are this school are DIVERSE. People come from all walks of life, have different ethnic backgrounds, and different interests. The best thing about this though is that there is a place for everyone. Penn State has over 800 student clubs for every interest imaginable. There are many religious and LGBT groups on campus, and all are supported by the University and other students. Sports are a large common interest on campus, especially football, but they aren't all anyone ever talks about, which just goes to show how wide the interests of students are. Students are definitely politically aware and voice their opinions on campus, but there isn't just one opinion- there are several political clubs ranging from far left to far right. Most students don't dress up for class (meaning girls don't wear wear dresses and heels to class), but the students still take class seriously. It would be hard for me to see a student feeling left out at Penn State, just because there are so many different student groups of such wide varieties. There really is something for everyone at Penn State.

Academics are rigorous, I won't lie to you. But the professors genuinely want to see their students succeed. They offer office hours and are always opening their doors to students in need of extra help. The academic requirements are strong because they require a little bit of everything (general education credits). I think this is important because Penn State wants to put out graduates who are well versed in many areas of academia, not just one particular area of study. As you advance in your major, Penn State certainly prepares you for whichever career you choose. Wall Street Journal named PSU students #1 in terms of being recruited for jobs right out of college. Employers count on PSU grads to be well-rounded, intelligent, and dependable individuals; this is the product professors and the University aim to turn out each year. Students are competitive, but it is more of a competition with themselves in that people aren't cut throat about grades and having to be better than everyone else. Every class that I have been in students have helped one another out, by studying together or forming study groups. It provides a better learning environment when all the students are driven but still willing to help you if you should need it.

Honestly, because there is such a diverse student body, it is very hard to put people into categories. Many students are involved in multiple organizations so it would be hard to "label" them. Penn State has jocks and frat boys just like every other school, but they aren't an overwhelming majority of the student population. There is a little bit of every social group at Penn State- if you can think of a group, you'll find them here. I think that is one of the strongest things Penn State has to offer- the wide variety of student interests.

Danielle

Behrend is not only a well-known, acknowledged college they are also a school that is worth the students time and money, students will not get just a degree they will receive knowledge about their major that they would not get at other schools, a professor who not only teaches the subject but usually also has a career in that field and experiences before choosing a major so students have no regrets about choosing Penn State.

Penn State is a large known school on the east coast, the Behrend campus is one of a kind becasue although they are still just as good as any other Penn State campus they provide smaller classes sizes so that every student has the ability to learn and not be over whelmed with a large room packed with students. Unlike some schools that just promote themselves as having time for every student Behrend really does. It a professor is not available there is a available for each subject along with an advisor. Students are not forgotten, ever.

I wish I would have had family members who had taken part in the college experiance so I would of had some refrence. The number one transition issue for me was study habits so I would have deffintly told myself to try out different study habits and study dedication. High school was a lot different exspecially in the content of exams so I now wish I would have pushed myself much more beyond to be prepared for college material. Making up an exam that I knew would be much harder then the one we would be taking in class would be a very good study method that I would go back and have myself try. The money is of course an issue also I would have a job all throughout high school to save up before starting to college. Scholorships and grants would be a must for me to do, I would advise to start looking into opportunties early into the year so I had time for a back up plan also.

Kylie

Everyone gets along, its a friendly environment. There are a lot of activities to keep you busy, and the teachers will work one on one with you if you need extra help. What is also unique is the views that you have from a few facilities. You can see the lake. It is also pretty in the summer because of all the trees. It is a great campus.

Now that I am graduating college and going on to graduate school, I can look back and say, enjoy every second of school and being a college student. Looking back on my college career it was one of the best times of my life. I made many good friends and met people from all over the world. I would tell myself to be open to making as many friends as possible, and go to as many college sponsored activities as I could. You get to experience life while making friends. The transition from high school to college isn't that bad as long as you are open to different types of people, ramen noodles, and studying (something I didn't do in high school). Transitioning is only scary because you think about it, in reality it makes you grow as a person.

Any kind of person should attend. Everyone can make friends. There are a lot of different "groups" that hang out and everyone gets along with everyone.

My college experience has been a whirlwind of activities and life changing lessons. As a sophomore in college, I have learned more about myself personally than I ever thought I would. I have learned how to be a sociable person, a good friend, and most importantly I have learned what my values are. The students and staff are so helpful and friendly that I feel completely comfortable asking any questions that need to be asked and getting any help I may need. To me, it has been a valuable experience to attend college because of the friends I have made, the education I have received, and still put to use, and the lessons I have learned about life. There is no better way to learn about life than to live on campus and have to support yourself and all of your needs on your own. Its such a wonderful experience that I would highly reccommend to anyone thinking about on campus living.

The people who should attend this school should be career driven, sociable, and determined because Penn State is a very acedemically intense school that values the worth of its students and wants the best of the best.

I brag about how well known Penn State is and how good their science programs are. There are so many people who go or have gone to Penn State, that no matter where you go, your'e bound to run into someone who has gone or goes here.

I didn't consider any other school because I liked this school alot and it was close to home. But something you should know about Behrend is that there isn't alot to do on the weekends unless you have a vehicle. I do enjoy going here, but people who come from bigger cities tend to hate it.

If I could go back in time to my senior year and talk to myself, many things come to mind to discuss. But there are two suggestions that stand out. First, I would tell myself to not be afraid of getting involved. Getting connected within the community gave me a chance to meet new people with different views. I have learned about many different cultures from people who grew up in what seems like different worlds. I have turned into a whole new person since high school because of the people I have met. Another piece of advice that I would give myself would be to stay determined. I always used to find myself getting stressed out over the smallest things, but now I know that as a college student you have many opportunities to redeem yourself. As long as you know you are doing your best, thats all a student can do. Through the ups and downs of college it's easy to become discouraged. But if you remain focused on your goals, you will achieve them and more.

Close knit community. People work together and there are lot of people who are willing to help you.

Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Erie-Behrend College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.