Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Erie-Behrend College

« See more reviews of Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Erie-Behrend College

In highschool, I wasn't the most social person. This isn't to say that I didn't have any friends, I had quite alot actually, but very few, maybe only one or two that I knew I could really depend on. College is different. I live with my friends. I eat with them. I spend as much time as I possibly can with them because I realize how unique and special they really are. My highschool self, however, would have been very skeptical because, as I stated earlier, I wasn't the most sociable person and expected to only have a few good friends in college rather than an expansive family. If I were to give advice to myself, I would say,"don't worry about friends, they'll find you. Focus instead on having fun and let what happens happen. You'll be in good hands with those who find you."

Now that I am graduating college and going on to graduate school, I can look back and say, enjoy every second of school and being a college student. Looking back on my college career it was one of the best times of my life. I made many good friends and met people from all over the world. I would tell myself to be open to making as many friends as possible, and go to as many college sponsored activities as I could. You get to experience life while making friends. The transition from high school to college isn't that bad as long as you are open to different types of people, ramen noodles, and studying (something I didn't do in high school). Transitioning is only scary because you think about it, in reality it makes you grow as a person.

College is attainable. There are so many ways to complete a college education. Do not be afraid to work 'menial' jobs to accomplish a goal. Life is too long to not get started on it now. As time goes on, more and more help is available in the form of scholarships and grants. You just need to keep you eyes and ears open and to apply as often as possible. The most important thing to remember is high school and the cliques and the personalities of the teachers is....this is not the real academic world. Take what you need and leave the rest behind. Do not foster a hatred for the entire educational system based on one small town representation of what the world has to offer. Find a true mentor and work hard.

If I were to go back, I would tell that younger version that you are fine just the way you are and the soon to you feel comfortable in your own skin the better you will be. I would tell her to not hard her heart against anyone because the older version strongly prefers her solitude and is not fond of company. I would tell her that her interest in biomedical will never die but to make your transition easier… pursue your AS in MLT before pursuing your BS. Volunteer early because you will surprised what and who you will give your heart out to. I will tell her that financially it does not get better, but remember to keep fighting and hold on to some of those disenchanted jobs because your time will come.

If I could go back to my senior year, I would tell myself to apply myself a little more and to make the decision to start college sooner than when I finally did start. I would recommend that I transfer from an Army Reservist to that of Active Army status, which would have helped my discipline and realization of how important higher education is to progress in today’s job markets. Lastly, I would tell myself that the best route to take to complete the higher education would be to attend a community college, then transfer to a 4 year institution rather than attempt a 4 year from the start, and that private colleges such as university of phoenix are terribly expensive compared to junior colleges.

Looking back at my senior year of high school I wish I would have been more prepared for what was to come. College is not easy by any means and I would have wanted to be more prepared for classes and have someone explain to me the work that has to be put into each individual course you take. The whole transition from high school to college is a scary thing. My advice would be to go in prepared, plan everything out starting with your schedule down too how much studying you should do for each of your classes even if you don't have a test in that course. Also getting involved on Campus is the key to success the more involved you are on campus the more you are likely to be successful.

I would advise to go to every college and spend a day there looking at everything, even sitting in on a class. Also talk to an advisor and students currently attending. They give a lot of insight to what really goes on there. Do your research before visiting also, so you know what questions you want to ask while you are there. To make the most out of your college experience, know how to balance school work and social life. In the end, it will help in so many ways. Find true friends and don't waste the time on people who are going to ruin your experience. Most of all, always be yourself. The people who truely matter will love you for who you are and the others, don't matter.

If I could talk to my past self from college I would tell her that college is a fun and exciting experience but also extremely scary. I would tell myself to not be afraid and that it is okay to talk to people and make friends. Friends will help you get far in life and you should try to make at least two or three through out your college years. They can help you with everyday life struggles and are good to have when they're in your major and you can all study together and become top students. Also, I would say go out and do more activities! College can be rough so having a good activity to help relieve stress is one of the best things you can do.

I'm discovering that I have an interest and strength in business law. If I could go back to high school I would take more classes that are relevant to this area. I feel like I was well prepared for college as far as math and writing, but I could have used more preparation in accounting, finance, economics. However, for a good portion of my senior year I thought I wanted to be a pharmacist ! Actually, I could have been more focused and prepared if I had thought about my strengths and not followed the advice of teachers who simply tried to push me into a career just to make money!

If i were to give advice on picking a school i would tell them to keep there mind completely open and not judge a school by what you hear from others. Take the time to look at the schools and go through the tours that they offer because you are very likely to form a better opinion of that school and make a better choice in where your son/ daughter/ or your self will be going. Also i would strongly emphasis that they should look at the degrees the school offers that way it correlates with the programs that your student will need to take.