Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Harrisburg Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Harrisburg

Overall its a great school, if a bit expensive. The people are friendly and open to discussion, while most of the professors are helpful and devoted. There is always support for any major, minor, or niche interest on campus. The campus is clean and safe, with a strong sense of community.

Michelle

Great school for commuters and those who want to focus on academics. There's not much night life around campus and the stores are limited but everything a college student needs is nearby. If you can't go to main campus or Erie for engineering, harrisburg is a great alternative

Michelle

Being part of Penn State University-Penn State Harrisburg, I have had the great opportunity to experience new experiences that have help me shape who I am as a person today. Although you can get very bored at times, it's a great place to be in to study and relax.

Theresa

Love the school .. everyone is very nice .. students show respect for each other .. the advisers are very helpful as well.

Lily

I believe that Penn State Harrisburg is a very nice school. It is not too big or too small and has many opportunities for everyone. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone who is not ready for a big school, like Penn State University Park, but still wants to attend Penn State.

Kevin

As a freshmen at Penn State Harrisburg, it is a great safe environment where I feel that I can express myself and interact with others freely without being judged on distinguished differently. I am also a minority but I still feel like I can meet new people every day who have similar goals and interests to me and have the ability to collaborate with them.

Audra

Penn State Harrisburg is a nice size and is comfortable for those who don't enjoy all the commotion that can be found at a large campus. There are numerous course options and the professors are all there to help you succeed. They care if you are struggling in their class and they do their best to help you understand the material. The students are all actively engaged in clubs and groups such as Thon. It really is a great university and I am proud to be a student there.

Nathalie

This is a commuter school. It is not like Pennsylvania State University-University Park. On weekends the campus is dead, but on weekdays the campus is flocking with students. For sure you will see a new face every day. The school has a great number of diverse students from all over the world.

Camryn

Penn State Harrisburg is mostly an academic campus. There's not a lot of partying at all, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. The culture is very kind and diverse. The nearby town, though, is definitely not a college town; there is nothing to really be found there. That's the major downside is that there is very little to actually do activity-wise. There is very little housing around the area, on and off campus, and commuting is very common. Overall, a nice campus if you want a smaller, quieter campus life.

Matt

I went to PSU HBG without seeing campus, just based on the stories my uncle told me. I would not have changed that decision for the world. I made such lasting friendships there, I still speak with fairly often. I met my mentor and professor Dr. Lewis that I still am in contact with. PSU HBg is great for students from smaller satelite campuses that maybe be overwhelmed by the size of University Park. The on campus housing is aprtment style with 4 seperate bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living, and en suite laundry. The campus food at Stacks was very good, and the library rivals the Paterno library at U Park. Middletown is a safe community where you can walk anywhere. We used to walk instead of drive. The on campus gym was your standard gym. All in all it was a great campus and it is only improving.

Ciara

Penn State Harrisburg is a small campus with many students. The classes range from 20 students to 130 students. Even in classes with 130 students, the professor took the time to learn the students names. The biology professors are very knowledgeable in their fields but do not do a good job of teaching the material. I have had some incredible professor and some really bad professors. However, I am extremely glad that I chose PSH for my first two years of college. I have made some amazing friends and had some incredible professors.

Overall, I love it here at Penn State Harrisburg. This school is like my second home. I feel so comfortable here and so welcomed by everyone I come across. The students, faculty, and staff are some of the most kind people I have ever met. I have already experienced so much during the short time I have been here. I am so proud to be a Penn State Nittany Lion.

Daymian

I like the campus overall since it has a small class sizes compared to other universities. I also feel that there are many opportunities to learn at this campus and that many classes are straight forward. Also I like how small campus is and it is very easy to navigate. I also like that the professors are easily available with office hours and by appointment.

Matthew

Penn State Harrisburg is a great college! The professors go out of their way to help you with anything you need. The food at Stacks is delicious with a lot of variety! The housing is great both on and off campus. There is always something to do around campus! I love being a student at Penn State Harrisburg! The campus is beautiful and easy to get around.

Jacques

It's a good school, especially for a satellite campus, but the surrounding area leaves much to be desired. There's very few things within walking distance of campus. But all the classes and professors are very good and the fact that you get a standard Penn State degree makes going here worth it.

Natalie

International students, Stacks cafeteria, comfortable on-campus housing, and small-town are the first words that come to my head when I think of Penn State Harrisburg. Among all the commonwealth campuses, Harrisburg is by far the best by a long shot. We are ranked the #10 in the United States for international students, which provides students a change to view perspectives of people from all around the world, which is one of the predominant reasons I went to the school. I now can say I literally have friends from all around the world, as this helps me as an American to understand people from different cultures, which is paramount in the policial environment we are living today. Stacks is the known modern hub were everyone hangs out from getting a bite to eat to having a quick study session with friends. The school’s infrastructure is very new as each building as an unexpected modern interior with an exceptionally clean environment. Therefore, the dorms are the best I had ever seen, considering I had visited 12 universities including ivy leagues. The only major downfall, due to my love of an urban/upscale suburban environment, is the small-town aspect of Middletown. The surroundings around the campus very boring due to the lower socioeconomics and you have to drive to get to your location because there are no sidewalls (plus you could have to walk at minimum 20 minutes). Therefore, if you don’t have a car (like me) it is essential to get close to a couple of people so that you can go food shopping or get clothing. Also, it is mainly a commuter campus still despite the increase of people living off-campus. Overall, I believe the pros outway the cons because due to my major it requires me to say focused on my school work, as this school is not meant for people that like to party. There are parties but you have to know people and they are always off-campus. Lastly, I highly recommend you to immediately get involved in a lot of clubs the second you get there because that is how you meet a bunch of people. This really helps as when the going gets tough people you hang out with may start branch out to different people and it would suck for freshman year to not have anyone to hang out with just because you only had one friend. All in all, these are some of the main tips I have to have a successful first year in the nonacademic way.

Kaitlyn

I enjoyed going on a visit to Penn State Harrisburg. I thought that it was a nice campus even though most of the people that go there commute. Penn State has a lot of opportunities for the students to get involved whether they are on or off campus. It seemed like there were always events that were going on when I was there. It was a very nice campus and I have considered going there to continue my academic career.

Jose

This is a place where one can truly strive and be successful. It's just a matter of time management and involvement. The campus is pretty well sized and full of things to do during the weekdays. If you are not involved in certain clubs then your weekends can be a little bland; but thats what college is all about! Go out and explore yourself, see what you like to do and make something out of it.

Maura

I like my classes and the atmosphere. I have met some really nice people. I would say if you are looking for a small campus with a feeling of community, Penn State Harrisburg might be right for you. my only critique would be that more food options should be offered and the hours of operation for the cafeteria on the weekends be expanded.

Deja

Great school, wouldn't change my choice to attend for anything! The atmosphere is very welcoming and positive. There is a healthy level of competitiveness in their sports teams and a balance with that and their academic competitiveness. Overall the campus is gorgeous and the staff is dedicated and easy to work with. I highly recommend this school to anyone pursuing a science degree or wanting to play sports in college. The only thing I could possibly find wrong with the school is that they don't provide very many scholarships for students.

Evan

It is small campus, however, is great for academics because of the smaller class sizes. The facilities provide what is needed for success but not very much along the lines of recreation. The Professors show concern for all their students learning and advancement.

Penn State Harrisburg is a very interactive and diverse school. This school has just the right amount of students in the classes, so you can have interaction with the professor and other students. The environment is always calm. They always have something to do at the school whether it is festivals or gatherings. I honestly could not have chosen a better school to go to.

Anam

If you are just graduated from high school and looking for an interactive environment, lower number of students in class, professor involvement with student on one-to-one basis; you should consider Penn State Harrisburg. Overall, I am proud to be part of Harrisburg Penn State community.

Shawnna

PSU HBG is a great school to attend. The tag price is a lot lower than University Park for just about the same quality of education. You might have to push the staff in FA and the Bursar's office to do their job sometimes, but if you're diligent about it, whatever you need will get done. You'll most likely have to take out some loans or apply for a lot of scholarships. Class wise, as long as you pay attention and give each class your all you'll end up with honors or on the Dean's list.

Abdelhady

PS(I Love)U could not be a more accurate description about how i feel. Penn State has helped me grow into a person much better than i used to be and meet friends tat i will have for the rest of my life. Penn State Harrisburg was the perfect stepping stone from high school to main campus. The community was so welcoming and it really became my home away from home. The memories i have made are some that have been the best in my life so far and i am very thankful to PSH for that. The professors are understanding, the people are nice, and the experiences are just great. If i could go back and do it again, I would every chance i get.

Sierra

My first visit at Penn State Harrisburg, I loved the academics and opportunist for students, but I didn't know how I would feel about the campus. It seemed sort of small and there didn't seem to be a lot going on. Then the tour guide explained all the events that go on and what every day students do on campus. That sold me. This campus is a little on the smaller side, but everyone is so close knit. There is so much diversity, amazing housing options, great food, and just an overall nice place. I can't wait to attend Penn State Harrisburg next year!

Sierra

Penn State Harrisburg is definitely a growing college and full of students. However, unlike a few colleges I know of, their is not as much life in the students and faculty. There is no excitement built up for a soccer or volleyball game, unless, you find yourself going up to Penn State Main Campus for the football games. The departments are relatively small and the instructors and professors are fantastic. As an Education Major, I love the professors I am surrounded with. I especially love the classroom sizes are fairly small, so the professors and peers get a chance to get to know each other. Finally, if I could change one thing about this campus, I would change the fact that there is not as much to do in the nearby areas. There are no cafes to sit and work on homework or study with friends, nor are there any places you can really walk to without a vehicle. If you have a vehicle, the capital is only about 15 minutes away and there is a few things for College students to enjoy. Overall, I wish there were more College related places and things around the town.

Penn State Harrisburg is such an incredible campus that has such a variety of things to do. This campus is the perfect size to be able to find your own spot to sit, study, and relax. There are tons of things to do and so many clubs and activities to join! you have so many opportunities to join the community! The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly which was a blessing for me as a freshman last year and the professors are all there to help you do your best. There are classes for everyone and classes of so many different sizes! You can choose what you want to do and it is a place you can really enjoy your education!

Riley

I think Penn State University - Harrisburg is a great school. Many people think there is a negative connotation to the satellite campuses, but Harrisburg has so much to offer. The students are given numerous academic and social opportunities and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

carlos

I think that is a very good college, even though is a small campus and there are not many things to outside the campus because the campus is located in Middletown and not in Harrisburg. The college has a great and diverse and friendly community, and academically I think that is one of the best Penn State campus because it has great classes for each major which challenge the student so that they can be the best in what they want to major on and they have excellent professors that always help you if you have a question. So overall I think Penn State Harrisburg is a g​reat college to attend

Mawaddah

I really love the environment, affordability, and also the academics in the school so much. I love learning the subjects and the professors explain really well. The things to do outside of school is also amazing and if you look close enough you can find out many things.

Jordan

Penn State Harrisburg is a great school if you like the small school feel. I personally have never had a problem seeing a professor outside of class for help. Also in class you get the close interaction with the professor because of the small class sizes. As far as life outside of the classroom, there isn't much to do unless you drive about 15-20 min away. Also this is the type of school where you occasionally bump into the same people, so if you like that then this is the school for you.

Katie

The college size was exactly the size I was looking for when I was college searching. The campus size is big enough to feel like a college but small enough that you have personal relations with the professors and you know others around campus. I am very happy that I chose this school.

Yewoinhareg

When I went to visit it was great. I really loved the campus it is very beautiful and big. I also love the resources and technology a lot of the stuff is relatively new. Also the class sizes are not too big nor to small. They offer a lot of activities and events. The dorms are also very nice and neat.

Penn State Harrisburg is a great campus. It's not too big and not too small so it provides the perfect atmosphere for all types of students. All of the facilities on campus are great and I use them often. All of the people here are so incredible and welcoming. I have made so many friends and met so many amazing people that will help further my education here, The professors are also so helpful and insightful in their studies and are so willing to help each and every student. I love Penn State Harrisburg and I never want to leave it!

Skai

My life at Penn State Harrisburg has been well. I live in an off campus apartment right down the street and I love it. Everything is about 15-20 minutes away if you want to go to a restaurant or something but on the weekends there is usually something to do. There may be a party or an event going on. The campus has a lot of places for you to study and even a place for you to relax and play games with friends. Everyone is friendly and you get the Penn State​ family feeling. It's the perfect place to learn because there's just enough stuff going on. Not too much so that you can't focus and not too little so that you're bored.

Brianna

I think penn state Harrisburg is a great school and when I get older and have kids, I want them to go here. That is how sure I am that penn state Harrisburg is the best college for me. It offers my major which is engineering. Not only that but engineering is a huge major and penn state offers a solid program.

Rebekah

I feel as though the institution is more concerned about making sure they get as much revenue as possible. There is not a priority on education, but rather on the cost. The school is afraid to seem uncultured, so they put up a thin facade. Overall Penn state has been a disappointment in every way. I transferred from a community college, and I must say there is a big difference between adults struggling for their education versus an institution concerned about how much money they can make from alumni parents.

Penn State is a worldly renowned university. This campus is the perfect place to start and end your degree if you are looking for the environment of a small private college with the cost and resources of a large university. The average class size is between 10-20 people and professors are dedicated to assisting students. The biggest drawback to this college is peers who "can't wait to leave". Penn State offers its student's the opportunity to begin at a branch campus and transfer to their main campus, University Park, after two years. Many students attend this campus to save money before transferring and their mentality is that the smaller atmosphere is boring and they will be unhappy until they transfer. This campus is what students make of it. There are 3 sororities and 2 fraternities offered on campus and students may transfer their Greek membership if they plan to transfer to university park and a chapter of their organization exists there. Numerous academic and interest based clubs are offered here. There are weekly guest speakers and events offered. Students have the ability to plan an event and receive school funding to make their plans a reality. This campus embraces diversity. Many students are foreign; coming from countries like China, Korea, Brazil, India, and Africa. There is a club known as the MAEP that discusses diversity and offers students free meals and items at their weekly meetings. There are three places to eat on campus. The normal dining hall is not a buffet style, and the food repeats often. There is a fast food type place on campus that sells Mac and cheese, sandwiches, tacos, and Penn State Bakery items. There is also a Starbucks on campus. Students may purchase groceries at the on campus grocery store. All of these places accept the meal plan and offer a wide selection of vegetarian options. For students suffering from food insecurity, there is an on campus food pantry, The professors here are very down to earth and enjoy meeting with students. They like to see creativity and good attendance in their classes. Professors are required to have office hours to meet with students and they are required to provide advanced notice of class cancelations, except in emergency situations. Each major and minor offers students the opportunity to attend major specific events to further student's understanding of their field. Many majors also offer access to equipment and resources not provided to other students. If you are looking for a school with worldwide recognition and a small town feel, choose Penn State Harrisburg. You will enjoy shopping in Harrisburg and interacting with the surrounding community. The campus offers students access to resources to make them prepared for their field and prepared for life after graduation. We Are!

Diamonique

The people are nice and it’s a friendly environment.

Cindy

I love it, and I am actually going to be attending the school fall of 2020. The students are nice, but sometimes the international ones can be a bit “snobby”. As an incoming freshman of Penn State that is going to run for the college, I think Penn State Harrisburg is a small sized college with the opportunity to transfer to its main campus with lots of opportunities.

Destiny

My opinion of Pennsylvania State University -Penn State Harrisburg is how it’s an amazing school that offers so many opportunities. The school helps students learn and achieve their goals by opening up new doors of possibilities. All around the school has a warm welcoming atmosphere. It’s the best experience anyone can go through.

Johnathan

Penn state Harrisburg is a great school if you like to go to school and then leave. While there are many clubs on campus, a lot of the students don’t take the opportunities. PSU Harrisburg is considered a commuter college, so a lot of people live off campus, except Out of state freshman.

Faydra

I love my school. My mom is an alumn and we bleed blue and white! Let’s go State! I will graduate with a degree that is recognized around the world from a top academic institution. There is no better feeling than being a part of a college family.