Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Mont Alto Top Questions

Megan

I would make sure that I had additional help with different areas of math. I was a serious student and had always focused on doing well in school. I had changed my mind several times about what I wanted to do when I graduated. I might talk to myself and get my mind made up sooner to better focus on looking for scholarships to help with tuition.

Josephine

Do not choose a college because of it's name, trust me, that should be the least of your worries. It is highly important to visit the schools you have in mind because once you're there on move in day, you're stuck. Consider the reviews of your friends and family, but keep in mind that it all depends on what you think because you will be living there- not your friends. As far as campus activities, go to them! It's an easy way to meet friends and gain connections. First semester will be cliquey because everyone wants a "bestfriend". Don't worry about it, chill and do you. Your professors and faculty can only help you when you make it known you need the help. With that said, speak up and take advantage of the offers at hand. Remember, when things seem to not go as planned, MAKE THE BEST OF IT!

Jena

I would tell myself that it is ok to have some fun and relax during your time in school, reach out and make new friends. I have spent my first two years doing nothing but studying and believe me that pays off but you need to take time to relax and have fun. Stay focused on what you want, there will always be that one class that really challenges you but you have to keep you head up and push through; trust me it will be worth it in the end. Take classes focused around biology, I went in undecided and that gavve me time to decide what I wanted to do but if I knew when I started what direction I was headed I would have been much closer to fulfilling the requirments for that major. And most of all don't be afraid to be yourself and get involved; work hard and challenge yourself along the way. Make college an learning experience, through the education you receive as well as the obstacles you face along the way. Be open to new experiences and learn as much as you can in the time you have.

Dexter

For me personally, school was never really hard. It was kinda simple, if you studied. The one thing that I got out of college was the social knowledge. I wasn't very social in high school, and it was mainly because I didn't know how. I had friends but to be in a new enviorment was something new for me. I learned a good amount about myself as a person, and about life in general. i've come to realize that being an adult is very difficult and there is a huge amount of responsibility that comes with it. Even though the situations have been tough, I was able to survive them and even achieve more that I lossed in the process. Being in college has chown me the type of person that I am, and the type of man I need to be. It has been a very valuable experience in being able to attend. I'm happy that I got this opportunity and hope to learn even more, so I can apply these lessons in the future.

So far, my education has brought me the advantage of being able to educate displaced children. In a way everthing that I learn echoes for the rest of my life, and is threaded throughout all of my actions. I know that education for me and others creates a sense of not only intelectual well- being but also self confidence and awareness. When I had my son, I wanted so much to build a life that we could both be proud of. When a person creates something as beautiful as a child, they become so much better than they ever thought they could be. College has been a part of that self improvement. It has made me a better mother, woman and person.

Hakeem

What I have gotten out of my current years from Penn State has been wonderful. I played leadership roles among my friends and on the men's and women's basketball team. On the men's and women's basketball team i got to travel all arcoss regions located in Pennsylvannia, in which some I did not even know. I believe I would not even have a clue about some of thes regions if I never went to Penn State. I have met with all kinds of friends who all want similar goals like me which is success. I live in a bad area of Philadelphia, so positive students like myself is sort of hard to find unless you go out of your specific region. Attending Penn State has also taught me a sense of professionalism. Skill such as these are essential for when you are looking fo jobs and internships from what I hear. Overall, I believe I have a chance to make a difference in me and my family's life.

I have learned to ask myself who do I want to be instead of what do I want to do.

Kayla

My college experience has been unforgettable. I have made so many new friends and I have learned how to be independant. Mont Alto is a great college and it is close to home. I could have not picked a better college too attend. Mont Alto has everything I need to become successful. They have a library full of books that I can get lost in and they have many computer labs that are always accessible. College is a big part of my life and I am thankful to have gotten so many life lessons out of my experience. I will always remember Mont Alto has a start of my career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.

Elissa

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure I understood the commitment in going to college. I had no idea how much time and energy I would have to put into college. I know that I would have still chosen to go to college even with knowing this information, but I would have felt more prepared. I would have told myself to appreciate high school a little more because you really do not realize how good things are until they are gone. The old me needed to know to take better notes in chemistry. I should have also known to take calculus in high school. All in all, I would have worked harder in high school so maybe the transition was not so hard for me.

I would tell myself to focus on making changes within the community by getting involved, to study, and to always keep my goals in mind because it will make the future so much brighter.

Tasmyn

I would choose a school that is diverse and closer to home.

Kayla

If I could go back to when I was a high school senior and talk to myself about college, I believ that I would like to tell myself to find scholarships. Mainly because since I live in Maryland and go to a Pennsylvania school I cant go to anyone in Maryland and vice versa. I would also probably tell myself to just prepare for that first semester transition. College is completely different then High school and it is a huge wake up call. I would tell myself not to mess around.

charles

I would tell myself to take my studies very seriously in preparation for college.

Allegra

I chose the Penn State Mont Alto campus because I took the time to visit the campus and get a feel for the atmosphere. I kept in mind that I wanted to be in a place that was small and easy to get around so I would have an easier time for completing my studies to the best of my abilities. I also browsed around the university website to better understand what the campus had to offer. The site was exciting and really offered great information and actual student insight of all that Mont Alto had to offer. I am extremely confident and happy with my decision to come to Mont Alto. Within the past few years that I have been here I have gained so much knowledge, confidence, and I have met some life long friends here! Taking the time to visit and research campuses is the best way to find out what will suit you best to become the best you can be. I know I made the right choice and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Imma

Dr. Suess, once said, ?You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.? Many students are unfortunate to attend schools that their parents have chosen for them. When students go to colleges that they are most interested in, they have a better chance of getting higher grades, having a better social life, and participating in campus activities. Being that College is unlike High school, it is imperative for students to search for schools that best fit their interest whether it?s attending a school in a suburban area or attending a school that has a wide range of Fraternities and Sororities. Colleges try their best to incorporate on-campus activities for students to engage in. The best things about those activities are the fun and friends that come along the way. There are many life lessons and experiences to learn from just from getting involved with school activities.

Shatema

Make sure you keep records of school payments becasue the school sometimes loses people's money. Save as much as you can.

Aleah

Find a college that fits with your personality. Do not make your expectations too high for yourself. Its all a learning experience. If you come from a small town, its better for you to go to a smaller university instead of going to a larger one. You may not be ready for that kind of adjustment, especially when college is hard enough itself. Always go with your gut feeling of what you think is best for yourself, and never let others get the best of you.

Tyler

To make the right decision, you need to feel right in your environment and feel that you have a good support base. Go to the campus's and visit them, and talk with current students. I would get to know a few people and talk with them, and spend time there. Make sure that you have the campus you really want, and that everything will work good for you. I would say also that you should make sure that there are jobs, and support in your campus. Another thing that if i woul do it all over again, i would get to know the community you live in! Other than that have fun with what you do and if your not happy when you visit, then your not gonna be happy giving them your money for 2-4 years.