Pepperdine University

« See more reviews of Pepperdine University

A photographer or painter's dream, the sunrises (gotta wake up early to catch one, they are incredibly worth it!) and sunsets which wash over the ocean to the horizon are breathtaking. Remember, this is the University-on-the-hill, so students get a 180 degree, elevated view. Boats on the ocean look like little pinheads bobbing up and down, and you can track the wave patterns if you're bored. You will see at least one deer cross your path everyday, making its way down from the Santa Monica mountains for a nibble on the Pepperdine lawns. A surfer is never more than a ten minute drive away from the crashing waves. In fact, one of the PE classes is surfing, so you ocean-mongers can get credit for a serene morning soaked in the surf.

While initially reviewing college choices, I had seen little potential in Pepperdine University as a top pick. I assumed that it?s Christian affiliation would present religious regulations which would detract from the groups or events offered; on the contrary, a variety of religious groups exist on campus. Furthermore while my school does provide events for those of the Christian faith, these opportunities are neither forced nor exclusive towards any student. While many other colleges take extreme measures to weed out the presence of religion in order to avoid conflict, Pepperdine provides a comforting sense of religious freedom.

Everybody here says that our International Programs are the best part about Pepperdine. Our international programs are second to none; we have our own campuses in: Florence, Italy; Lausanne, Switzerland; Heidelberg, Germany; London, England; Shanghai, China; Buenos Aires, Argentina; and Washington D.C.. There is so much to do and explore abroad, and you will never get closer to a group of people than the people you study abroad with. Everybody experiences their own personal growth while experiencing an entirely new culture and comes back a new person. If you come to Pepperdine, you HAVE to study abroad.

The Christian values and emphasis on Christ centered living is the most influential and best part about Pepperdine. You are immediately welcomed into a community of devout Christians and this becomes very evident in your interactions with your fellow upperclassmen and mentors. The religious community is not forced to those who may not believe, but is a great support for those who follow Chrisitianity and there are several resources for students including a personal student life advisor (SLA) and pyschiatrist on staff. The school is genuinely inviting and expresses deep care for their students!

The best thing about Pepperdine University is their adept international programs that allow students to study abroad at a number of Pepperdine University campuses around the world, including Florence, Buenos Aires, Laussane, London, and Shanghai. Pepperdine strongly encourages students to study abroad in order to expand their global perspectives, build new relationships, and stimulate spiritual and intellectual growth. The way that the Pepperdine community emphasizes this pivitol time to exprience a new culuture is one of the things that make the school so great.

I think the best thing about Pepperdine University, is the patience that exists from the faculty. As a young, zealous student, ready and hungry to learn, I made many mistakes in changing majors several times while trying to figure who I was, and what I loved. Through all this changing, my professors remained incredibly patient, and almost parent-like in their guiding me. I look back now and think, wow, they really and truly cared about my future and my well-being, and in the midst of some of my own foolishness, had great patience on this young student.

I have come to discover that the best thing about the school is that its an environment of suffering for a typical college student. By that I mean, the school actively regulates and enforces its rules on partying, drinking and drug abuse to farther extents than most private and public colleges or universities. This has been great; for, during a time away from home where a person learns the most about himself and life; this school helped me stay away from turning to vices to free me from my grief but rather to deal with it in a proper manner.

Other than the fact that you can see the blue horizon on almost any point on campus, and the fact that the entire school knows and appreciates the beauty of the ocean, I love the sense of community in this school. You can walk around campus with hats and shades on, and within two minutes, at least five people will have recognized you and called out your name. I love that every week, the BOARD hosts an event for the whole school, like figure skating or movie night for free, so that students can bond and befriend one another.

Walking down the halls at Pepperdine I say ?Hi, how are you!?? at least five times. No matter where you go, you are bound to see a friend or an acquaintance and be greeted as well. People here are so friendly, if you haven?t caught the direction I?m leading. The first day I came here New Student Orientation leaders screamed salutations and cheered with excitement as each new freshman came in. From the moment I stepped on campus I have felt welcome, and each day I feel more and more loved by my kind-hearted fellow students.

The academic programs at Pepperdine are exceptional! All of the Professors know tons about their subject and are passionate about what they teach. Also, you cannot beat the incredible view of the Pacific Ocean!! The combination of the outstanding academic programs and opportunities, wide variety of extracurricular activities, and the beatiful campus make Pepperdine the best school! Anyone who has the opportunity to attend this University would truly be blessed by all of the students, professors and opportunities.