Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Philadelphia University

sara

If I could go back and tell myself anything it would be to have more self confidence. I would always worry about what others would think or say. From being at this school for the last two years it has allowed me to really find myself. In high school I was labeled by who i was friends with and what sports I played, so it was a nice change of pace to now be know for nothing other than myself. I also have learned that I need to put my slef first more becuase I was so use to trying to please others that I would forget what I really was aiming for. All together I feel that i have truely bettered my slef and I wish that high school me found that out a lot sooner.

some who is open to innovation, like small classes, doesnt mind not going out every weekend, like the city a little, doesnt mind the small school feel, and is willing to get involved

If you are someone who is very enevolved in watching sports teams, wanting to go to a large school, someone who is not open minded, and someone who is not only going to school to party.

Faleesha

Faleesha, I know high school was a hassle, but college is no different. The bullying, the racial profiling, and the hardships you had to take in, sadly, really prepares you for the real world. You are in for another round of unfair judging; you have three roommates who will judge you, and they argue and are going to have some problems with one another. Don't be discouraged, just think of it as a lesson in patience. The procrastinating that you know you do, it needs to stop NOW. It's not a breeze here, so study. Don't try to fit in, staying up until 2am with friends, and skipping class. You know how texting and watching your online shows is like your life? That sucks, because that is a straight distraction. You think you have control in what you do, but you don't- well not full control. You are first generation, people have so much hope and promise in you. I believe in you, Faleesha. You made it out the hood, but you still have a way to go. Stay focused.

Anyone looking for a major in design, textiles, and architecture should come to this school. I have heard that the OT program here is decent. Other than for those majors, this is not a good school to attend.

It is not a diverse community, racially and in gender. I do not feel as though I am being challenged to my greatest potential there, and the tuition is too high.

adams

To my former self: Take risks and listen to your heart. Put all your mind and effort towards a life of happiness and fufillment. Work hard at what you love and do not sacrifice your time for money. Keep true to your values and do not steal, smoke, or drink. Be creative and pay attention to detail. Listen to your friends and let others do the talking sometimes. Take opportunity to travel and absorb all you see. Choose your friends wisely and listen to your mentors. Be the cloud and rise above.

Desmond

A colorful warm winterland that is occupied by many joyful people in a surburban city scenery.

Well my school is located in a suburban type area, sorrounded by many trees and land, but is close enough to be in the city. We are also so unique becasue we have a great design program and the teachers are so understanding. More importantly our basketball team coach is in the division 2 hall of fame, for the most wins ever.

I would tell myself to do better with his grades so that we could get more money for college, and to also do more scholarships so you could get enough money to live on-campus. The next thing I would tell my senoir self would be to work harder in baseball so other colleges would notice my talent, and maybe get invited to a be apart of a school with possibly a better sports program. The final thing I would tell my self in preparation fpor his future, would be to look for more colleges around the major we would take up, that also had a sports program in at least the division 2 area.

Kyle

Philadelphia University is a very small school, who's staff takes the time to learn about every student.

This school was substancely smaller than the majority of the other schools i applied to.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to get over my bad senior habits over the summer because college is alot more serious than senior year and I need to stay focused.

Trisha

Philadelphia University is much different than any other school I visited. It has the small college experience in a big city, which allows the entertainment of a big city take over your night life yet the one on one experience with teacher guide your daily life.

Its suburban feel which is very close to urban environment. Plenty of trees and grass, the landscape is awesome! Very enjoyable to walk around campus.

What are your classes like?

Classes have around 10-30 students per classroom as you get more specific to your major you tend to have less students in your class. You get a good amount of work for your core classes but most of your liberal art classes don't really overload your workload. Your core classes are challenging and get you ready for the real world.

Athletes are very supportive of each other, you will see the baseball team cheering on the soccer team. Some of the more popular clubs include Medical Brigades, Science in Action, FIM, and greek life. Fashion shows are amazing at philau, the senior showcase is absolutely FANTASTIC. The entire school gets involved and the final product is great!

Philadelphia University is a wonderful environment to have a close knit friend group. My best friends are my roommates and soccer teammates. Because our school is not big you develop deeper connections with your friends. No one could really feel out of place at philau, you can always find a couple of students with the same interests as you because our school is so diverse. At school you see most people dressed up, athletes tend to be the ones in sweats during their season. Most students families are middle class income.

As a Biology major each of my science professors know my name and my hobbies. As a junior; I have had many of the same professors which I have build relationships with and became a better student. I study every night of the week during the school year just so I don't get behind on work.

I would say the stereotype would be that their are a lot of gays and not very intelligent girls. I would say their are a lot of gays but just as many on other college campus'. And stereotype that the girls here are dumb is completely false, we hold our own and get equally the same grades as the male students.

Claire

I love the campus here - it's always beautiful. I think the small size of the school is really great if you want to have the chance to get to know your professors better and have a more personalized classroom experience. Professors have connections to the job world, and they can offer you positions or write awesome letters of recommendation because you get the chance to show them how you work up close instead of being a number in a lecture hall. If you run into them on campus they know your face and they'll say hi. I spend a lot of time in Kanbar, our student center, because it's a great central place for people to meet. There's always lots going on. If I had to change anything, I'd give us a football team so we could go to games in the fall. Overall, I have loved my time here so far!

Describe the dorms.

The residence halls, especially for freshman, are really great! My room first year was wonderful. It was spacious and clean, with plenty of options for furniture arranging and decorating. Every hall has lots of activities for residents to participate in to become involved and make friends, which is nice when you're new to the school. A few things to think about: You may want to bring your own lamp, as lighting varies between residence halls. Plan with your roommate beforehand via email about who wants to bring a frig or tv, etc. The best thing is to bring items from home that make your room yours!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The Gutman Library is most definitely the best place if you are looking to be productive. The building is really condusive to meeting with groups and independent studying, as there are areas that are more social and areas that are quiet-only. They also have TONS of resources to use for projects and research - books, magazines, databases, etc. The librarians are super helpful and there are also many easy links on the school website if you're looking to figure things out on your own.

The academics here have been a perfect match for me. If you work hard and put the time in, you'll be rewarded. There are lots of resources to help! We have a great Learning and Advising center with tutoring in case you feel lost. Professors have also been really willing to help. They're required to have office hours if you need to go in, and you can also make an appointment. Those are great opportunities for one-on-one time to better understand something you missed in class. I did a lot of really cool projects in my Intro to Engineering class. My favorite was with the robot - it was so interesting to write a program and then watch the robot do what you asked. It was a great way to see your work turn into a final product!

Milagros

I think PhilaU is a great school, but this can also be said of many other schools. I think what is most important during a college search is to find the school that is right for you. I think I got really lucky with PhilaU, because although I didn't know too much about it when I came here, it ended up being the right fit for me. I don't think PhilaU is super small, I think it is just right. I love that it is small enough that all my classes are probably less than 15 students, but big enough that I don't know every person that comes here. By having the small class sizes, one really gets the chance to get to know the professor, and it allows the professor to know the student, know what they're working on, and know they're stenghts and weaknesses. I also love the campus and the setting of the school. We are located basically in the suburbs in a quiet and calm area and we have a very quaint, picturesque campus; however, we are only about a 15 minute drive into center city Philadelphia, so we also have the advantage in being part of the city life.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Here at PhilaU we offer a large variety of sports to suit the likes and preferences of everyone. We have the basics such as soccer, tennis, baseball, softball, and basketball. But we also have things such as Track and Field, lacrosse, and even a rugby team. Overall, I would have to say that the most popular sport on campus is basketball. Our men's basketball team is supported and cheered by everyone here, and our basketball games always get pretty intense and packed. Our coach, Herb Magee has reached the number one spot of the coach with the most amount of wins in the NCAA and he is pretty much like a hero around here. Even for those who don't play a sport, or those who don't seem to be interested in the sports scene at school, an upcoming basketball game seems to bring out the pride and school spirit in all of us!

The campus at PhilaU was actually the initial reason why I fell in love with the school. I think our campus really reflects what is so amazing about center city Philadelphia itself. By this I mean that it is truly a great combination, and the perfect balance, of old and new architecture. On our campus we have many brick and stone buildings that illustrate Philadelphia's traditional architecture. Specially seeing these buildings in this time of year, with the leaves changing colors, it really makes this campus idyllic. However, we also have the right amount of modernity to keep us updated and in touch with our campus' interest in green technology and sustainability. To top it all of, our campus maintains a great percentage and amount of landscape and greenery. Personally, I don't think that I could attend a school without any trees or flowers. Even on the worst days, looking at the buildings, trees, and flowers around our campus can always manage to bring a smile to my face.

What are your classes like?

Classes offered at PhilaU are very interesting and informative. Everyone has different interests, and the major (and even minor) you chose will reflect those interests and capabilities. The school offers a large variety of majors, minors, and concentrations, and each of these include classes that will be interesting, insightful, and sometimes not what you would expect. As a historical preservation student, I have taken, and are currently taking, some classes where I wasn't sure what exactly to expect. But they always managed to surprise me in a positive way. I'm always learning new things and important information that will prove to be very beneficial to my future endeavors.

Academics are really great at PhilaU. Our courses are rigorous, but not in an absurd way. Our professors push us enough so that we may perform at our best and they encourage us to seek help and ask questions so that we may do well not only in our classes, but also once we graduate. Every single one of my teachers knows my name, and so does my advisor and even my bosses at my job on campus. Professors are there for you, they actually care about how you're doing. I am currently a junior, and one of my professors from freshman year still sends me emails about scholarships and such things. Professors, and other help the school provides you with (such as tutors, career services, advisors) make you feel like you can really succeed in your career.

PhilaU has a wide variety or groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus. Organizations and clubs include things such as the SGA (student-government asso.), LASO (Latin American Student Organization), and GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) to name a few. There are also major-related clubs and org. such as the AIAS for Architecture students, FAME for fashion merch. students, Law and Society, etc. Sports are also popular. I would say the most popular team on campus would be the men's basketball team, but other sports such as baseball and soccer are also popular. We also have tennis, softball, volleyball, lacrosse, and so on. CAB (an org. on campus) puts together events such as a movie night, or they bring comedians and magicians. My freshman year they even brought someone from Ghosthunters to show us what they do. We have 2 fraternities: AXP and Sigma Nu, one established sorority: DphiE, and one sorority colony: Theta Phi Alpha. Basically, anything you're interested in, you can always find someone else who will be interested in that too. And if a club/org. for that doesn't exist already, it is always possible to start a new one.

Our campus has a wide variety of clubs and organizations and activities. Due to these I don't think that anyone would ever feel out of place here. We have students of all races, religions, sexual orientations, and backgrounds. We are all different and have our own opinions and likes; and PhilaU provides you with organizations that will help you find people who are interested in similar things as you, or have the same background and/or race as you. For example, we have organizations such as LASO for students not only with a hispanic heritage but also for those who are interested in the hispanic heritage. We have the GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) which is not only for LGBT students, but also for those who are in support or interested in the LGBT community. PhilaU is very diverse, but more importantly, it is a very open campus. I feel like people here are open to ideas and opinions and preferences and I always see people intermingling and having friends who are not only different majors, but come from different backgrounds and races, and sexualities.

I don't think that as a whole PhilaU has a stereotype. For example, I know sometimes some schools are known as "party schools," thus making it seem like all everybody does there is party, but this is not the case at PhilaU. Now when it comes to the individual, I think there will always be stereotypes everywhere we go. People will see the science kids as "nerdy," or the fashion girls as "dumb," and so on. But I feel like these stereotypes are never true. There is so much more to a person that what is portrayed by how they dress or what major they are, the best thing is to try to get to know people before judging them first.

J'Nay

I think there is a general stereotype about private universities in general that does not apply to Philadelphia University. Students come from a range of places, with varying backgrounds, and contrasting interests that meld together to create an interesting dynamic on campus.

Katie

Honestly, I could not be happier. I am a senior this year, and while I am excited to be graduating, part of me wishes I could spend just one more year here... I fell in love with the campus during my first visit; I strongly encourage you to set up a tour!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Unfortunately, we do not have a football team because of our small size. However, we go crazy with other sports to make up for it. Soccer and basketball are huge here. During the fall, everyone will gather at the soccer field, and during the winter, the gym will be packed with basketball/Herb fans. We have several rallies throughout the year, especially during the basketball season because of all the awards Coach Magee has been receiving lately. The spring is ruled mostly by baseball and softball. Our sports teams are pretty darn good, especially our cross country team, who has more banners in the gym than I can count.

Our campus has a very suburban feel for being so close to the city. I personally chose this campus because it reminded me of home with all of the trees, trails, and open (undeveloped) space.

What are your classes like?

As a senior, my classes are very intense, and heavily focused on my major. I really enjoyed some of my basic courses because they allowed me to work with students from other majors and learn different ways of thinking. The best part of being a senior, is that you have first choice when it comes to registering for classes, so you can better pick times and professors that suit you. Overall, the class sizes are relatively small, especially when you get into your core courses for your major. I have only ever had one large lecture class with around 70 students; however, the professor still did his best to offer personal assistance when asked.

The Ultimate Frisbee Team (Diskfunctional) is rather popular as far as sports groups go. They are a very family oriented team, where everyone supports one another. The START Leader program is also very popular. I was a START Leader this past summer and several students asked how they could participate after the first orientation session. There are also several fashion groups on campus that are popular. FAME, FIA, and BRAG are all well know groups who participate in some pretty awesome events on and off campus. The Brag chapter recently went to New York for a Fashion event and had a great time.

Ummm, awesome. Seriously though, we have a very diverse campus, as well as the clubs and organizations to support it. We range from 'hipsters' to 'fashionistas' and everything in between. Most of the student body is from the northeast/mid-atlantic region, however, I have several friends from the west coast.

They are pretty awesome. The class sizes are relatively small, especially when you get into your major specific courses. The professors will go out of their way to help you, including finding you internships. The majority of the fashion professors are still currently working in industry and/or still have strong connections with several companies.

Kidding... because we are a fashion school, the majority of our students could be labeled as "fashionistas". However, this does not accurately represent the student population. We have a large variety of students and majors, which helps create a diverse campus.

Philadelphia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.