Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Philadelphia University

Catherine

We are very independent and strive for "Power to Do". Being a student at this school creates a mindset and atmosphere of becoming mini entrepreneur. There are so many options within the school to help us get our foot through the first door necessary to build our success. We are very driven, motivated and ambitious. We are also friendly quirky and quite interesting. Our school is very personable. We are right outside the city so it allows us to focus more on our work but we are only a hop skip and a jump away into that city life.

What are your classes like?

Small personal environment, Conversational, Discussion, Hands on, Group Activities, Lots of Interactions

I am going to be bias and say BRAG (Black Retail Action Group) only because I am the President of this Organization. However, this is not true but is becoming close. We do have a very large and strong following. But I would honestly say Relay for Life, Colleges against Cancer, Fashion Industry Association and the three different performance teams combined

We are a pretty diverse group and we keep increasing the diversity along the years. We are also very goal oriented. Our majors are quite demanding so we learn our priorities quickly. This does not mean we do not know how to enjoy ourselves in any which way possible. I would say we are quite the quirky bunch. You can label us as a PhilaU student and it would only make sense once you become one.

Our programs are very strong, and we use equipment from the industry. People are always astonished by our equipment. We also have well known and involved professors. They are not just teachers they come directly from the field they are working in and have actual experience. The student to teacher ratio is 14:1 and you always get that personal attention in all of your classes. The teachers learn your name and tend to learn you as a whole being.

Kevin

Overall, I love Philadelphia University. One of the best things is the fact that we are a smaller university. Our class sizes average around 16 students and you don't ever have more than about 30 students in a class. This keeps the student-faculty relationship closer than that of a larger university and lets students ask questions during classes. The only thing I would honestly change is increasing the amount of student parking. Another great thing is the location. Around PhilaU it isn't a college-town but the locals generally like our students. We are in a rural setting but are just a short distance away from center city. Teachers are very helpful as are our numerous offices such as the study abroad office, career services, and the learning and advising center. The small school aspect keeps the school community closer and proud to be a member of the university.

Academics are great here at PhilaU. The small class sizes keep professors more able to help students both in class and outside of classes. If someone has a good work ethic and is dedicated to their schoolwork, PhilaU is great academically.

The main stereotype of students at Philadelphia University is that we are a fashion and architecture students. This is mainly because we have a well known architecture program and the University used to be called Philadelphia Textiles and our fashion program is also well known. Today this is not accurate however. While we do have a great fashion programs and a great architecture program, we have come a long way, especially as of late. Our business program is constantly getting better and more recognized, especially our 5 year accelerated MBA program. Our Physician Assistant program is also very recognized and is ranked in the top 2 in the state and 18th in the country. The school is constantly increasing all of its accademic programs and becoming a more well rounded university all together.

Molly

There is no surprise that our school is located in the City of Brotherly Love! But, because of its residential location and small class size, PhilaU makes one of the largest cities in the nation feel like home! I truly enjoy the natural landscape along with te view of the city skyline! PhilaU makes it so easy to feel like you belong!

Our Colleges Again Cancer organization is extremely popular in getting students to come out for their largest fundraiser: Relay For Life. With a string of promotional events that they perform all over campus, there is a strong presence of their philanthropic endeavors! Covering the school in purple, CAC gives students an opportunity to be a part of something incredible. Some of the events that Relay For Life include: Battle of the Bands, games, Rap Battle, Survival Walk and many more activites!

Veronica

I love our campus and overall environment. We are in Philly, but not so close to center city that we don't have plenty of quiet, green spaces. I love Philadelphia and the experience of Philadelphia that you get being at PhilaU is well-balanced with your schoolwork.

I have had mostly wonderful professors. They are accessible and enthusiastic. Some classes are tougher than others, but classes within your major are usually pretty intense. I don't know about other majors, but I know that at least in architecture we can never get away from talking about our projects and our work outside of class. Sometimes we have to designate a dinner as a design-free zone so we can get away from it for a while. Sometimes professors will come in outside of class time to help us, too. Not all classes are like this, of course. The courses here are all very practical, though. The majors at PhilaU are very geared toward real world knowledge that you can use when you enter the work force.

I think the students here are pretty diverse in their interests. There are a lot of different clubs and orgs which reflect this. They are also usually very creative, even many who are not in a design major. People here tend to have an outgoing style and enjoy decorating their room or making their own bags or going around campus at night and spray painting fun stencils on the sidewalk.

Natasha

I have a list of thing I like about this school! The campus size is awesome because there will never be a face that you haven't seen before. No one is a stranger. The closeness to downtown Philly is awesome. Hop on the bus or train and in a half an hour you are downtown. Always stuff to do downtown! The administration faculty isn’t phantoms! I love seeing the president, President Spinelli, hanging about campus..even at the gym!!!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I love working at the Kanbar Student Center. Specifically on the balcony which allows you to look over a large part of the campus. On good, breezy days the best place to study or just to enjoy the day is outside on the green space infront of the library..is...awesome!

What are your classes like?

Most of my classes are core science course,like biochemistry and genetics, but I am taking Latin America Area Studies and Creative Writing which are both awesome classes. I especially enjoy my Creative Writing course because it's allowed me to polish my poetry skills-something that lab reports don't quite facilitate.

I guess the most popular groups on campus would be Campus Activity Board, Ultimate Frisbee, Gemini Theatre just to name a few. This campus is huge on its basketball so home games is when most of the population of the campus is all in one place.

PhilaU students are the most tolerant group of people I have ever met. Passing judgment on each other and allowing stereotypes to define a person is hated here! The students at PhilaU might seem to fit in one 'box' and then you learn something unique about them that completely flips the script. PhilaU is just a cool campus like that.

There are a variety of classes ranging from foundation design to microbiology! Often non-design major take a design class as an elective and there are some design majors that take a science course or liberal arts course. The freedom to do whatever with your schedule is great. The class sizes are small which allows more questions to be asked during class time. It also why professors know when you are and aren't in class. Not only do the professors take the time to get to know you but they are also more than eager to help you with the course material beyond class time.

One stereotype is that the design student and non-design student don't interact. This is incredibly inaccurate. It is often the case where you befriend people outside of your major.

Tara

Really, this school was just right for me because it is small, so the class sizes are never over 25 and the professor really knows who you are, you will never just be a number in an auditorium. At the same time its also not so small that everyone knows eachother, I am still meeting new people in my senior year here. The campus is scenic, but so close to the city that it makes the best of everything. I always found it perfect for what i was looking for.

The classes and professors here are great. I am an Architecture student and most of my professors are actual working architects. I have gained great knowledge of the field from people who actually experiance it everyday, and i know that this is a standard for all of our professors on campus.

Our school is a BIG design school, so being able to be innovative is something that comes natually to a lot of students here. Even students who aren't in a design major, such as bussiness or pre-med, are even innovative within those feilds as well. I always feel like the people, ciriculum, and atmosphere at our school is "up and coming". :-)

Trevor

I could not be any happier then right here. The school size is perfect for me, the class size is perfect considering that the professors here know me by name and not by a number, and they get personal with you. If you miss a class due to sickness, they will actually ask you the next day how your feeling and if it going to be a awhile to get over with, they will send you the work you need to pass the class. Sometimes I even have dinner at my professors house with other students to just talk about whats going on.

The professors here have office hours for you to come in and talk to them about any problems. Some professors will even come onto campus to help you, even if they are not suppose to be on campus due to no classes for them. They make you work harder then ever before, but you get so much out of it. I love it!

Sheena

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to focus on saving money and looking for scholarships to pay for college tuition and to shadow a student at the schools I was interested in. Currently, the biggest problem for me is paying tuition. I have to focus on so much when I am in school, such as the heavy workload, extra-curricular activities, friends and family, and worrying about how I am going to pay for school is very stressful and depressing. If I saved money while in high school and searched for scholarships I would not be in the financial situation that I am in now. Additionally, when I was going through the process of deciding on what colleges to apply to I did not shadow a student from any of the colleges. I gained knowledge about the schools from text and visuals on thier websites. I feel like if I shadowed a student, I would have gained a hands-on and first-hand experience of each college. Those experiences would have made my decision much easier and the process would have been less stressful.

I think the best thing is the campus. The campus is peaceful and relaxing, but there are still a ton of opportunities to have fun like joining clubs, going to the city or just hanging out with friends.

I think the worst thing is learning to manage the heavy work load with a social life. As a fashion design major, most of my time is spent sewing and I needed to learn to plan my scedule around my work and remeber that all of my hard work will pay off in the end.

Vanessa

Philadelphia University is creative, innovative, open, career-driven, and my second home.

Self-confidence, maturity, a creative and open mind, lasting friendships. These are just a few of the great things that I have gotten out of my college experience at Philadelphia University. I came in as a wide-eyed freshman, ready for a new experience, and I am graduating as a confident adult, head held high and feeling proud of the achievements I have earned over the past four years as a student here. I have learned a great deal not only academically, but also socially and environmentally. Philadelphia University has prepared me for the next chapter in my life, and it is because of the great dedication of the faculty and staff that I can be a proud alumnus of the school and have the confidence and motivation to make a difference in our world. The value that this school has added to my life is something that goes far beyond the tuition; it is something that can only be measured by the positive qualities and characteristics I have developed and will continue to cultivate in the next phase of my life. My experience at Philadelphia University is one that I will forever remember and cherish.

Male to female ratio, library hours, lack of social life at school

Michelle

I have successfully completed one full semester of college, with less than three months to go in my second semester and so far I have learned quite a bit. Not only have I gained knowledge academically, but my view of the world in retrospect has changed . My entire life I have lived in a box. I never knew anything outside of the relatively small city of San Antonio, where usually the worst thing that could happen is a severe thunderstorm or a tornado warning every few years. I made the decision to attend an out of state college for the experience and chose Philadelphia University for it's unique and comforting charm. In these four months away from home that I have spent in Philadelphia I have learned a lot about the world and a lot about myself. You really never know how much people mean to you until you have spent months upon months away from them. Words like homeless, jobless, struggle, and sacrifice never used mean anything to me, but now these words describe people, actions, and experiences that I've lived through, and it really changes a persons outlook on life. Philadelphia University surely has changed mine.

There are so many educational and career opportunities here at Philadelphia University. Being a biology major with a dream of one day becoming an optometrist, I know that as I progess in my studies the University will make sure that I know of every available opportunity. Whether it is providing students with free tutoring services in almost every subject, or locating a coveted intership at one of the top optometry hospitals in the country, I feel that at Philadelphia University they will help me every step of the way and make sure I am successful, as it is their mission.

I wanted to engage myself in the "full college experience", but I feel that I am unable to do so because of the people I am surrounded by here at Philadelphia University. So I would say that the worst thing about my school are my fellow students, because I expected more out of my college experience than what I have been given up to this point. It is as if everyone has made friends, and joined their "cliques" and they do not feel the need to make friendly conversations with me, so I am almost always alone.

Philadelphia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.